Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ph.d boastingPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
With all due respect we are all entitled to our expectations however "arrogant" or "snooty" they might be. When we give a rat's orifice about the opinions of the "arrogant" or "snooty" we're wasting time we will never get back. Just frargin' Cowboy up my friend.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/6/2008 9:11:45 PM
Perhaps after all that education and years of learning,t hey want someone who match them in that level. Nothing wrong with seeing someone who has as much ambition as they do, but I do agree that they shouldn't judge others if their levels of ambitions isn't the same. It's their loss if they let someone go who may be great but not have what they prefer, but to each their own.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/6/2008 9:33:50 PM
I think in some ways, people who do acheive ph.d's, fields that require a lot of years in learning/training have to have a good amount of ambition to continue thru with it. After all it's Years of school after school. I think that takes a lot of focus and dedication.
 24DegreeAngel
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/6/2008 10:12:00 PM
I know what you're talking about OP. They actually say that the more educated a woman is the less likely she is to get married... lol.

Personally I hold several college level creditials. Other than providing me an avenue into my career... and then furthering it along... it's really not done a lot for me personally. And even with all that time studying my first day of a career job was spent going "what did I get myself into" because I wasn't even prepared for that job. I learned more on the job in 1 month than I did at school dispite my 4.0 GPA and not allowing myself to have a life to become edumacated.

The most important things in life I learned didn't come from college... college doesn't even touch that stuff. The things I love the most, that makes the most difference to myself and others I learned outside of the classroom. In some way, I get an identity from my parchments but I also feel trapped by them. what other better things could I have done with that time? Sooo much... and yet the world turns around these pieces of paper.

I don't think someone who is uneducated is stupid or lesser... they are making different choices that is all. Some of the most successful people in our society are highschool and college drop outs.
 SueCat51
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/7/2008 7:04:45 PM
To be proud of one's accomplishments whether it is educational or any other, is not boastful. For me, I knew that going to college, getting an education would open more doors in my life. Reality told me "there are no guarantees", but I knew deep down inside, it's what I had to do and what I wanted to do.

When I was born, I had cerebral palsy, and the Doc's told my parents I'd never amount to anything. Back in the 1950's, children were put in asylums if they didn't develop normally. Thank god my parents saw beyond the crap that the Docs told them. Yes, I underwent speech & physical therapy. I endured years of being teased at school because I was "different". When I graduated from Arizona State University in 1978, it was and still is the best damn day in my life!!! You'd better believe I have my diploma at my computer desk. I'm more than proud of myself, and if it sounds boastful, so be it!

Going beyond high school, to learn a trade or to go to college requires discipline. If one wants to accomplish things in life, it requires hard work, sacrifice, and perseverance. That in itself is not boastful.
 TheLimey
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/8/2008 7:19:06 AM
Phd's are like diabetes, you either have it or you don't. The way Dr's phrase this is that if you don't have diabetes then obviously you must be "pre-diabetic"

So if we take that view then each of us on this site who don't have a Phd must therefore be "pre-med" students.. "pre" as in we're never, ever going to enroll in medical school.

We could really stretch it by claiming to be "pre med" AND "pre law"....

Do you all feel a bit smarter now?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 42
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/10/2008 11:28:06 PM
thorondor, lol! When I was in grad school, after making the mistake once, I vowed never to get involved again with a guy working on his dissertation. These guys fall in love with their typists since they're spending so much time with them. . . . And believe me, you can't compete with a guy's typist. . . .

OPie, the perception is coming from *you* not the other. Buck up and just be proud of you. And don't worry about other peeps and what they think. You'll prolly be wrong anyways.

ItsMargo
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/10/2008 11:33:43 PM
I've always had a rather bizarre amusement that the plural of thesis... theses... rhymes with feces.

I wouldn't fault anyone with putting their education or occupation on their profile... it is an opportunity for you to self-select. Some will be turned off and others turned on.
 nobrumski
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 5/11/2008 11:40:31 AM
While there are those who don't brag about it, you will find your choices limited by not going through college. I still hear to this day from friends and people I work with how they refuse to date much less marry anyone who didn't go to college. As college education becomes more the norm and less about a choice financial or otherwise, it will only become more of a limiting factor.

Now of course there will be exceptions such as if you are successful and/or running your own company. If you are only getting by day to day though, expect it to be an uphill battle. At least that is my experience.

One note of interest is several of my friends are MDs and they never insist on people calling them Dr. At the same time the people they see who insist on being called DR, whether MD or otherwise, are usually the worst to deal with.
 guyot
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:43:26 AM
Having a doctorate tends to be a social barrier. I don't mention my graduate degrees in my profile because I would not want someone with much less education to feel intimidated about talking to me. My mother never went to college and my father only completed the equivalent of 8th grade, although both of them are very smart. I grew up in a working class family and am comfortable with all sorts of people.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 54
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/8/2008 12:53:02 PM
" I don't mention my graduate degrees in my profile because I would not want someone with much less education to feel intimidated about talking to me. "
==================
Not to pick on any one person, but THIS attitude--that someone would be "intimidated" by you having enough money to go to college, is a ridiculous statement. Show of hands: Is anyone out there "intimidated" by another's education? I know I am not--I work at the university, and there are plenty of highly-educated idiots here (most seem to be in charge ). Just because you have the money, time and perseverance to get a PhD doesn't mean you are smarter--it means you are more dogged -- and prolly haven't had much of a life for those few years. I am extremely intelligent, but "only" have a couple of degrees. Because life is a better teacher than university profs. I can learn without others "teaching" me--I have the skills to read and comprehend, what more does anyone need?

I think the "value" of a college degree is diminished, anyway, now that pretty much ANYONE can go to college. It's no longer the creme of the crop, it's every middle class and upper kid in USA, and a lot if not most poorer kids, too.

Put your hands down now.
 guyot
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/8/2008 2:12:02 PM
I agree that intimidated may not be the right word, but it can certainly be a barrier that reduces the likelihood that some people will talk to me. I grew up in a community and a family where many did not complete high school, and college for kids my community in the late 70s was not the norm. I suspect that plenty of people here would be less likely to contact me because of assumptions they may make about my approachability.

I worked my way through college and grad school.

" I don't mention my graduate degrees in my profile because I would not want someone with much less education to feel intimidated about talking to me. "
==================
Not to pick on any one person, but THIS attitude--that someone would be "intimidated" by you having enough money to go to college, is a ridiculous statement. Show of hands: Is anyone out there "intimidated" by another's education?
 androgynousvon
Msg: 64
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/9/2008 7:38:37 AM
This much I know: most men with doctorate degrees would prefer to date an educational peer, but it's not a make a break issue --- believe it or not, they'll still go for looks over education. (Unbelieveable, eh? LOL) Well-educated women, on the other hand, tend to be much fussier regarding a potential mate's education.
 1980escapeartist
Msg: 67
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/9/2008 12:09:17 PM
Did you know that Blossom(from the show Blossom back in the day) has her PHD?!
Crazy.
Sad how you always hear about the child stars who screwed up their lives, but never the ones like her who made something with their lives.

I would be proud of having or nearly getting my PHD. I would post that as well. It would probably help weed out the idiots who didn't even have their high school diploma.
Msg: 69
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/9/2008 2:58:59 PM
Although I don't know 'hundreds' of Phd holders the ones I do know are nothing more than professional students that sucked from the family teat for several years.....and in the end never managed to get a job even close to their field of study.

I couldn't care less if a woman/man has a phd, Bsc/DVD, its clear though that those people who have degrees really do care so just avoid them as you'll always have to grovel to their 'superior' intellect.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 73
Ph.d boasting
Posted: 7/9/2008 9:37:48 PM
I live in a college town and do not have a Ph.D. but know many who do. Frankly, as a whole I find this group to be the least snooty and much more prone to modesty.

I don't see any reason not to indicate advanced education. If the person wants the same, that's their prerogative. I wouldn't take offense to it or generalize.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >