Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 climbsagain
Msg: 251
Gas Price increase. What do you think?Page 11 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Well someone correct me but I don't think " George Bush and his oil buddies" are in

If you are referring to powerful members of congress, yes they are still in office and still are very powerful. The executive office or the president is only one part of the law making process. Did anyone here take government class in High School? Oh..........did they go to High School? This is Ohio after all!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Gas Price increase. What do you think?
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:02:15 PM
Wait till Jeb gets in there.
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 253
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:17:47 PM

Did anyone here take government class in High School? Oh..........did they go to High School? This is Ohio after all!

Just when I thought you might have more intelligence than the ones you teach, you had to go and post something like that.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 3:16:27 AM
What does Ohio have to do with taking government classes??

BTW, is the price of scrap metal going up yet?
 climbsagain
Msg: 255
Posted: 6/19/2009 3:45:22 AM
What does Ohio have to do with taking government classes??

reading the posts here and related to other threads it is interesting the number of fish that do not understand the process of the United states government. The idea that a President alone can push laws through and make changes quickly is amusing. The lack of knowledge is sad. Look no further than the high drop out rate of ninth grade students in Ohio, including Columbus, The Queen City, Youngstown, Dayton, Toledo, Akron and can't forget Cleveland and it makes me wonder how many Ohio students ever reach High School.

Of course ........won't go there! How the president can enter office and undo 8 years of Bush is a tall order and will not happen overnight. The Democrats barely control congress and have to find a way to govern with the republicans. This is not an easy task.

Gas prices will continue to rise as long as we waste the resource!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 4:21:52 PM

Gas prices will continue to rise as long as we waste the resource!

Really strange you bring up this thing about 'wasting', I went to get wiper blade refills a month back, I guess they don't sell them anymore & force you to buy & replace the entire blade.

I guess most of your expensive Ipods too also end up in a landfill in a few years when the batteries will no longer take a charge. Face it we live in a disposable society, how sad!
 climbsagain
Msg: 257
Posted: 6/22/2009 2:34:30 PM
everyone makes choices to buy things we throw away or things that last. If you desire to make the difference you can start with your choices. Its really very easy.........business responds to the consumer......we don't buy........someone does not profit!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2009 9:24:08 PM

Its really very easy.........business responds to the consumer......we don't buy........someone does not profit!

I returned my MP3 player with the built in rechargble battery... but then again they shove things down your throat too. Can you actually find a car now without power windows?? ... hard huh?
 climbsagain
Msg: 259
Posted: 6/23/2009 5:08:55 AM
The price of crude oil dropped again today. Perhaps there is too much oil sitting in storage? Perhaps the poor economy world wide continues to keep a lid on the price? Perhaps people simply lack the income to drive often? Perhaps?
 DesertFox3
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2009 3:56:28 PM
Take a look at your electric bill & look at the rates, it's hitting the energy commodities too!

Unfortunately I'm a captive customer, All I can do is shut off my air, which I am doing.
 climbsagain
Msg: 261
Posted: 6/26/2009 4:36:03 AM
Unfortunately I'm a captive customer, All I can do is shut off my air, which I am doing.

What else can be done DF? Seems drastuic to place yourself in this position for the entire summer? Perhaps you can use the air during select hot periods. After ward keep the house air tight to hold in the cold air as was done in years of old.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 12:47:16 AM

What else can be done DF? Seems drastic to place yourself in this position for the entire summer? Perhaps you can use the air during select hot periods. After ward keep the house air tight to hold in the cold air as was done in years of old.

Actually bad windows, most which I don't open because I'm afraid I'll never get them closed b4 winter... I do know that trick, as I only cool the house only @ night if cooler/less humid , & always keep the windows closed & drapes shut, can't imagine but it does make a difference rather than opening windows.... the black roof really don't help with my upstairs though.

They closed the housing colmplex pool this summer too due to bad economy ... yes I'm going to suffer this year!!!

Do ya think whe Wall street Toe tappin' speculators are going to suffer??
 climbsagain
Msg: 263
Posted: 7/1/2009 2:43:18 PM
Actually bad windows, most which I don't open because I'm afraid I'll never get them closed b4 winter... I do know that trick, as I only cool the house only @ night if cooler/less humid , & always keep the windows closed & drapes shut, can't imagine but it does make a difference rather than opening windows.... the black roof really don't help with my upstairs though.

You bring up a good point. The basic improvement of a house can save much energy in the long run. Many windows offered at low prices theses days!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 7:57:03 AM
You bring up a good point. The basic improvement of a house can save much energy in the long run. Many windows offered at low prices theses days!

Define low price, & the flip side to this is you get what you pay for... the original wood Andersons from 1979-1980, were replaced in '89 by a low grade cheap vinyl replacement that were warping by '99.

Unfortunately home improvement businesses are the biggest ripoff ever, Just look at companies like Bath Fitters, the kitchen cabinet resurfacers, ect. I could redo my kitchen countertops for less than $150 if I could buy off the rack, but unfortunately I have one small area that is custom cut which would bring this job up to close to $1500, get the point?? It's a good thing I can do a lot of these things myself, of course, there are jobs that require a second person which makes me SOL, & although I put in a few enterance doors, replacement windows are one thing I wouldn't want to tackle.

I did have my place assesed for effeciency a few years back under the HEAP program. This included air leak testing (a dwelling needs to breathe to a point). A bit of insulation, & new lighting was determined all that was needed, however some good information was passed on on appliance maintence & upkeep, insulation practices, most I knew, but learened a few things too.
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 265
Posted: 7/3/2009 8:33:20 AM
DF I can relate on the custom made stuff around the house. I am in the begining phase of a total remodel to my duplex. New windows, doors, tearing out plaster walls etc.. Nothing in this house is standard size including doorways but with a lot of ingenuity and a sawzall I am very slowly getting things done. Just by putting new windows and doors in this summer I expect to cut my heating bill in half next winter. The electric will be lessened a great deal by the furnace I plan to install. The original 30 year old furnace was only designed to heat one side and I plan on heating both from the same furnace. One side was in total disrepair water damaged from a bad roof 6 years back, it still had the old style gas heater in the family room that gravity fed the upstairs through a grated vent.

For others that need it doing simple things like using thick curtains or putting plastic over your windows can greatly reduce heating bills also.

As far as the roller coaster ride of gas prices, carpooling, and multi tasking while out and about can help cut down the amount of fuel you use. Making sure your tires are properly inflated(usually stated on the sticker inside the door, not on the tire) try not to run around with a trunk full of crap either not only will it smell but adds unnecessary weight to the vehicle lessening MPG.
 climbsagain
Msg: 266
Posted: 7/3/2009 9:38:05 AM
As far as the roller coaster ride of gas prices, carpooling, and multi tasking while out and about can help cut down the amount of fuel you use. Making sure your tires are properly inflated(usually stated on the sticker inside the door, not on the tire) try not to run around with a trunk full of crap either not only will it smell but adds unnecessary weight to the vehicle lessening MPG.

And slow down...................the amount of gas used to get there a few minutes early costs plenty!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2009 1:11:18 PM

And slow down...................the amount of gas used to get there a few minutes early costs plenty!

Nawww, just speed up, get on the phone, & drive really really close to the person in front of you, heck everyone is doing it!

FYI, Scrap prices, I think this was the thread :

.40 for cans
1.65 for Copper
1.00 for Brass
 climbsagain
Msg: 268
Posted: 7/3/2009 4:00:52 PM
Nawww, just speed up, get on the phone, & drive really really close to the person in front of you, heck everyone is doing it!

Thuis past weekend as I was carpooling back from West Virginia I noticed a car pass me driving well over 90 while the driver held the phone in one hand and rubbed his head with the other hand.............for a long distance. Not the best idea on I-77 south of Charleston West Virginia.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:20:28 PM

Thuis past weekend as I was carpooling back from West Virginia I noticed a car pass me driving well over 90 while the driver held the phone in one hand and rubbed his head with the other hand.............for a long distance. Not the best idea on I-77 south of Charleston West Virginia.

WVA Tpk?? I used to drive back & forth to Athens GA, I'm quite familiar with it, aren't they done with the construction yet or are they rebuilding again?

Now about the speeds used in the Rt 2 Construction zone especially with the narrow lanes makes me wonder.
 brwnigrl38
Msg: 270
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:47:01 PM
I have 2 windows in my house that are 15yo replacement windows and they are starting to leak. Not able to put in new right now but I have to say $2.99 for a box with 2 sheets of plastic and a blow dryer did the trick. That 3M plastic sheeting for windows is fantastic.

I 77 is a mad house with the drivers. The speed and no hands on the wheel is just plain scary!
 climbsagain
Msg: 271
Posted: 7/13/2009 4:46:50 AM
I have 2 windows in my house that are 15yo replacement windows and they are starting to leak. Not able to put in new right now but I have to say $2.99 for a box with 2 sheets of plastic and a blow dryer did the trick. That 3M plastic sheeting for windows is fantastic.

The plastic works. be careful not to rip the plastic!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2009 5:30:32 PM

If a reputible company installed these they should be under warranty....

The person I bought from left me nothing.. other than the heat pump he had just replaced. I think my windows came from a fly by night company. I cannot open half of them.

I would likre to take advantage of the tax credit, anyone know the rules on this?
 climbsagain
Msg: 273
Posted: 7/14/2009 6:42:28 PM
DF I think I have developed a plan for you to beat the summer heat without turning on the AC. We make a harness that we use to hang you from the ceiling in a sitting position so we can lower you into a large barrel of cold water where you can read a book, watch a little TV or even take a nap. I have lots of old rope and climbing gear. You would be the first guy on the block to own such a devise? What do you think?
 brwnigrl38
Msg: 274
Posted: 7/14/2009 8:17:32 PM
I thought they were reputable at the time but the company was taken over by a son and nephew and they have no coordinating paperwork to match mine. They said the warrenty's are now only 10years.....same old bs.

I can honestly say I have only put my AC on for 3 days total so far this year. The nights have been awesome so far this summer! Good sleeping weather!
 climbsagain
Msg: 275
Posted: 7/21/2009 5:06:16 AM
I can honestly say I have only put my AC on for 3 days total so far this year. The nights have been awesome so far this summer! Good sleeping weather!

DF you might be surprised if you investigate buying a small fan. The quality is good and the fans are very quiet. Give it a try!
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?