Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canusatisfymoi
Msg: 56
Do you believe God sends signs?Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I think he does send signs. Sometimes you just believe that what the signs is showing isnt the truth so you continued to be in a relationship with that person. You believe that the person you loved isn't like that, but when things turn out wrong you only have yourself to blame. I usually listen to my first instincts because most of the time it's right.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Do you believe God sends signs?
Posted: 5/16/2008 9:27:42 AM
My belief is God absolutely sends signs. However I also believe you have to be very quiet to hear them and open your eyes to see them so they don't pass you by. My complete trust is in the Lord and that even if I don't always understand why things are a particular way, he knows what's best for me and someday his reasons will be revealed.

You also have intuition stemming from what you know is right and wrong. Choosing to do the right thing by using your own free will which he gives you to make your own decisions...will hopefully lead you to the correct one. Either way, trust and believe even when you don't understand.

**This is a good topic but it should be moved to the religion forum. Perhaps write to a Mod to move it for you.
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts70399.aspx
 who me noway
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/16/2008 9:58:31 AM
NO GOD does not send you "signs" it's called COMMON SENSE and GUT INSTINCTS !
I do believe in God but I hate when people believe "God will show me the way" etc.

HERE are some signs "WAR-GLOBAL WARNING-EARTH QUAKES-TSUNAMIS-TYPHOONS! now those are signs!

You might as well go call the psychic hot line...
 BuzzLOL
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Do you believe God sends signs? ...NO!!
Posted: 5/16/2008 10:11:46 AM
.. If you and your SO have different belief systems, then so-called 'god signs' will simply cause anger and/or religious hatred within yourself toward your SO and ruin what may otherwise be the perfect lifelong happy relationship...

.... You and your SO are TWO people!

.... Always be wary of allowing THIRD party influences such as comments from jealous 'friends' and the dogma from the religion businesses ruin your relationships...

.... The USA and Iraq could get along if religion didn't cause them to ENJOY killing each others' citizens so much...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2008 6:22:45 PM
I don't think it matters where the signs are coming just whether you recognize what they are trying to tell you and act accordingly. It is not a sign that there is someone better waiting in the wings because there are no guarantees in life.

It does illustrate that this man isn't him. If you choose to remain with the wrong guy the right one cannot find you.
 teeajay
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/9/2008 6:03:06 AM
No.

(any further commentary would be a waste of time)
 orchidtigress
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:53:08 PM
I believe this whole-heartedly...we must simply trust and have faith....prayer is always good also and you can pray that God send you definite signs : )
 dcmartin08
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:00:46 PM
yes god does, thare is somethnage in the bible about that, people that know him (christians) sometiems will be able to have the gift of getign feelings or knowign win say a person you just met is bad or getign the feelign somethange just aint right about theme, that has happen to me befor and yes god sends signs, thare is a reason you might never know but thare is a reason that it didint work, pray about it and ask god to help you find the right christian guy
 mcbobly
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2008 5:08:05 PM
DO I believe GOD sends signs? I sure do. I have been in talks lately with someone I am very attracted to and we have had some very good time and when I really get to missing her and let that stupid issue of doubt creep in I ask him for a sign that there is nothing to worry about and I'll say this; the last 3 times I asked for a sign I either got a phone call from her, an email or a visit the very next day which instilled my feeling of attraction. So, do I think GOD sends signs? Yes. Consider them signs from him or not, but as for me I believe they are.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/18/2008 5:16:35 PM
I hesitate to always put a label or a name on the Higher Power, so to say God send you messages...but - I DO believe very strongly that we are sent and gifted with Divine leading as to the right or the wrong person. He/She wants us to know love and to experience it and to have it be based in all that is right and good in loving each other. So I feel you should not only be receptive to being led and guided away from that which is wrong, but also to that who may be right. People in our lives are always a lesson. Not always a pleasant experience, but always a lesson we needed. Additionally people in our life to share love with, are always a gift to be highly valued and highly treasured. How different would our world be if only everyone felt this way and applied it to how we live?
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 116
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:53:55 AM
We all have the gift of discernment and some of us are more in tune with it. If you replace the word "God" in the subject title here with your brain or mind it still makes sense. You can subject yourself to all kinds of unacceptable relationships (even with a church) when you are looking for mysterious signs from God in place of using the mind that God gave you. It can lead to becoming a doormat if you let it.
 arwen52
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:03:46 AM
No. Those red flags were coming from the person themselves. In the future, do not ignore them.

Is someone better waiting in the wings? Who knows? Whether you'll find someone for another relationship or not will remain to be seen. If you are learning from your past, you'll choose more wisely in the future and they'll be better than your past relationships.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:09 AM
{I believe} It's simply the "fight or flight" response inherent is us all. You either ignore the "flight" response (often referred to here as 'red flags") and you try to "fight" for what you want by compromise or concession. Otherwise; you take "flight" because the warnings are too great to stay and you concede that you are unable to "fight" (compromise or concede) any longer. We were all born with the "fight or flight" response (intuition) ... Cavemen even ;0) it's how the species survived and evolved.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:22:37 AM
I dont believe in God or religion......might as well read the Yellow Pages telephone directory for all the truth contained in the bible....or maybe Hans Cristian Andersens fairy tales....but......I respect those people who do have " faith "...

That's the difference between believers and non believers.....in my humble opinion of course.

I've been a church pianist (yeah that'll attract some guys -NOT) going on 16 years now, and I'm starting to have my doubts. Even the faithful believers get divorced and there is too much judgement against singles. They say you'll meet someone nice at church - yeah - but they are all there with their wives.

The bible is full of contradictions for those who don't marry. It says it's not good for man to be alone (I guess this means women too), and then it turns around and says fornication is wrong, sex was meant for marriage, and it's better to marry than to burn. I say if you marry badly it could very well be hell on earth. Well, I never signed up to be a nun, I don't believe in having children out of wedlock, and I haven't found anyone I want to spend the rest of my life with yet. Tried celibacy many times for long periods of my life - it's really not that fabulous. So I'm supposed to get all warm and fuzzy about a God who gives us these needs that we are not supposed to act on unless I've conned someone into putting a ring on my finger? I'm 45 - if God really loved me he would have sent someone by now. They say God does things in his own time, so when I find the love of my life, and I'm 85 and die the next day, how great is that? I want to scream when I hear "You'll find someone when you're not looking" - especially from someone younger who was or is married and has rarely ever spent a night by themselves. I have spent years at a time not dating - men weren't pounding on my door. They don't just fall from the sky and drop into your lap.

I was openly dating an athiest for 2 years and people in my church were judgemental about that, and yet he treated me better than anyone I had ever dated. I worked for a church for 12 years, was dedicated and put in a lot of time there. I watched the church almost double in size and the pastor's salary increase. I was patient and hoped that I would eventually get a promotion of some kind, benefits, and a living wage. It didn't happen and I noticed the Pastor really promoted those who were married, even though they didn't have the talent or skills. Over a year later and they still can't replace what I could do. When I quit, it felt like a divorce to me. There is no place for singles in the church, and when churches do have singles groups it's a joke. There are users, social misfits, sad divorcees just like anywhere else. Many evangelical born again Christians are almost impossible to really get to know because they talk about their faith and nothing else. No personality - just an empty preach-bot. What really gets under my skin is when a guy has "Christian" checked on his profile at various sites and contacts women for sex only.

My conclusion is if I want to find the right one, I'VE got to take the steps to do it. Life is precious and I want to live it instead sitting around praying and waiting for something to happen.
 69thfathom
Msg: 124
Posted: 7/21/2008 1:12:33 PM
Does G-d send signs? Of course she does. In fact, She sent me here to this forum to give you this warning:

Seriously, why would G-d send signs? I mean, She wrote whole books, right? But now She only speaks in coded messages which cause you to wonder whether they are meant for you? A perfect, all-knowing deity should have better communication skills than that. I mean, if She has something to say wouldn't She come right out and say say it? For example, if She was concerned about your well-being as regards your relationships, why wouldn't She just say, "Hey hionlymoi, this guy is a real jerk, don't go out with him"?

It seems silly to me that an omnicient G-d would communicate in such an inefficient manner as to send signs which are open to interpretation. What qualifies as a 'sign from G-d'? If your coffee gets cold faster than you think it should, is that a sign? (Holy smokes! It was hot one minute, then cold the next! That's G-d talkin'!) And what would it signify? It probably has more to do with the thermodynamics of your cup, whether it runneth over, or not.

Despite the fact that a large number of people do believe that G-d speaks in sign language, you will notice that the newspapers never have articles which cite G-d as the source of any new information. (No sign from G-d revealing the location of Usama Bin Laden. Or is Usama Bin Laden the sign G-d has sent?) The same is true for television news; never, for example, has a broadcaster opened the nightly news program with the statement that, "A sign from G-d today revealed that a massive earthquake will strike the region . . ." . Why is this? Perhaps it is a sign that in this modern age rationality prevails, or that G-d does not exist, or both.

BTW, your question seem less an inquiry into understanding the nature of G-d, and more an entertaining of superstitious notions. In this regard, one sure way to determine the potential of a mate is to throw them onto the ceiling. If she sticks, she's a keeper. Another way to know is if you see a single magpie or a peacock near his house--watch out! But you can beat all of this by just keeping a horseshoe, open-end up, over your doorway. Just make sure you nail it on tightly, or G-d might make it fall on your head. Which, of course, would be a sign that G-d wants you to have a concussion. Obviously!
 Frisky Monkey
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/22/2008 12:29:30 AM
Yes, because after messing up in the Middle East and failing to prevent the Terrorist Attacks on Sept 11th, he figured he'd stick to something easier.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/22/2008 5:23:01 AM
There was a bat flying at my window for hours last night. What do you suppose that means?
 69thfathom
Msg: 137
Posted: 7/22/2008 2:58:55 PM

There was a bat flying at my window for hours last night. What do you suppose that means?

G-d is trying to tell you that your house is in the way.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:28:13 PM
G-d is trying to tell you that your house is in the way.

Darn - I was hoping it was a really hot vampire wanting to bite my neck and then he would sing "Come Fly with Me" to me before making me his eternal companion and lover.
 Platojag
Msg: 139
Posted: 7/22/2008 5:25:49 PM
The only sign that I believe is both a message from the one above AND also a man-made sign is: "WALK, DON'T RUN" . Think this connects to relationships, too.
 forumschick
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 4:53:17 PM
OP:
God does not send signs to anyone, He clearly talks to us, most of the times we just don't want to hear what he has to say and ask him for a sign. I know I have...

The fact that things have not been able to work between the two of you sounds to me as nothing more than the disposition you both have on making things work. The way you expressed yourself above sounds more to me as if you are trying to make yourself feel better because you don't want it to work and are trying to convince yourself and others that it cannot. With God all things are possible...

Of course, I may be completely off.

Does your husband share your faith?
Either way, I wouldn't worry about it much, He will take you through anything. Personally, whenever my life has taken a turn for the worse, something much greater immediately follows. Although, God doesn't send signs, if this guy isn't for ya I can almost guarantee you that He did tell you so, and I am sure if you try really hard you would remember that it was unequivocal the way He warned you about this moment.
Sometimes we just like to disregard what He tells us, because it goes clearly against what we want, I don't know about everyone else, at least that is what happened to me once...
 Platojag
Msg: 157
Posted: 8/17/2008 6:13:55 PM
Does God send signs?

Yes...

His latest one says:

"Stop arguing about who is right & who is wrong about everything, get away from those hypnotizing electronic screens & go outside and enjoy the world I created for you.... or, I'll just have to take everything back to Walmart & get a rebate..."

There are signs in everything you see.... everything you touch..... everything you smell..... and everything else you sense in the world...

Interpreting these signs, is the quest.
 fallen_leaves
Msg: 163
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:47:56 AM
Dudes, I can imagine you God believers being so stunned on the day you come to the astounding realization that there was NO God at all...the truth of the existence of life and universe is not yet known to human beings...
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 7:00:00 AM
God sends signs alright. You have to watch out for them. And duck or run when they start coming. The other day a giant billboard took out part of an apartment building. And someone almost got decapitated by a RR Crossing sign recently too. And did anyone hear about one of those electronic monitor display billboard things plopping down into a public swimming pool? Electrocuted everyone to death, and all the broken glass injured many more at the pool-side. God just won't quit. He still likes killing people. We gotta do something about this dude. I think it's zero dark thirty time for his arse.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 4:03:59 PM
and...here's yer sign. hang it 'round yer neck to let people know.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >