Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 68
Would You Go To A Wedding Dateless?Page 6 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I prefer to fly solo at weddings unless my date knows as many of the guests as I do.

Or she is a social butterfly and can hold her own without constant attention from me.

Or unless she is the one inviting me. In that case I guess she's coming.

Yeah That Girl. I remember wedding crashers. They had some good times. Company Party Crashing is easier and just as fun.
 Walts
Msg: 70
Would You Go To A Wedding Dateless?
Posted: 2/29/2012 5:29:41 PM
I always go to weddings without a date. Numerous reasons, though a couple are always on top of my list. If it's a free bar,,,,less people attending,more whiskey for me. And the bridesmaid. Always,the bridesmaid.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/29/2012 6:27:51 PM
I'm with you Walts...I remember being in the wedding party up in Lake George...wow wadda good time....a date would have just gotten in the way.
 russell5417
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/1/2012 9:14:34 AM
Of course.......if not for just the food.......the drinks........women.
 zuythemanfrog
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/1/2012 10:59:44 AM
Yep- I've done it at every wedding I've been to. Granted, it sucks. But you will survive. If it's too much to bear, just go to the ceremony and duck out of the reception.
 zuythemanfrog
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/1/2012 11:06:12 AM

I wud and i have its fun to just party maybe meet sum1

Problem with that is practically everyone there who has potential is already there with a date. Like most social outings, if you go out alone you will come home alone.
 zuythemanfrog
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/1/2012 11:12:26 AM

Yes I have and will do so in the future if one comes up and I happen to be single.

@ MssCrystal- hard to believe you would be single!
 Naramie
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2012 10:20:10 PM
Why not? You're being invited to witness two people sharing a special moment. Unless you hardly know the bride and groom, you shouldn't have any issue going alone. Plus you can meet alot of people at weddings.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/2/2012 7:33:11 AM

Problem with that is practically everyone there who has potential is already there with a date. Like most social outings, if you go out alone you will come home alone.

Ive never brought anyone home I just met that same night anyways, so I dont see this as an issue.
 zuythemanfrog
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/10/2013 12:57:27 PM
I've had to do that in the past but don't go to weddings anymore unless it's someone I'm REALLY close to as going to a wedding stag is the biggest suck-fest you can submit yourself to. I've heard people say you can meet someone at a wedding, but that has never been the case for me. Unless it's family or very close friends or I'm being paid to (freelance videographer), I refuse to do that anymore. I think the dark cloud hanging over my head would ruin the feel of the event.
 arwen52
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:37:45 PM
Definitely, but only if I knew that I'd know other people there. I was invited to a wedding where I wasn't going to know people, so I took a date just to make sure I had someone to talk to.
 ohenryx
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 9:04:18 AM
At my age, I am invited to very few weddings. Most of my friends are either already married, or not likely to get re-married. When I was younger, it was an entirely different story. I enjoyed weddings, they were a great place to socialize and meet women. Almost always an open bar, and a lot of attractive women. What the hell more could you possibly want?

Granted, most of those women had dates, but it was usually some man they coerced into going with them, not an actual “boyfriend”. Thus they were open to the right approach. And there’s something about a wedding that makes the single women feel … well, almost desperate to have a man in their life. Very good hunting ground, very good. Brings back a lot of fond memories…
 CyclistWill77
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:31:16 AM
Every wedding I've ever gone to, I've ended up going alone. Since I'm down to only having only having 3 people I know who aren't married, I'm not even going to worry about it.
 spot4username
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:37:41 AM
I have only been to one wedding in my adult life. I was in the wedding party and was very young so it didn't even occur to me to bring a date. If I were to be invited to a wedding I wouldn't scare up a date just to avoid going alone.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/11/2013 11:04:54 AM
If I were to be invited to a wedding I wouldn't scare up a date just to avoid going alone.

Exactly. Bringing a date for the sake of it can send the wrong signal to the person. You're upping the ante with them, moreso if it's one of your family members getting married. It'd be a selfish move if you were doing it merely to feel wanted.

Problem with that is practically everyone there who has potential is already there with a date.

Most, yeah, sure. But there are usually a handful of people w/o dates. Some go to weddings because they had to travel hundreds of miles to go to it, and their significant other or person they're kinda-seeing has other things going on anyway. Additionally, there is many times a handful of singles.

Like most social outings, if you go out alone you will come home alone.

That's a false statement. If you're at a wedding, you usually know some people. So you're not alone. If you go out to a bar, concert, event, or wedding without a date & with friends, it does not at all imply you're not going to end up without opposite-sex-success. Many people want to go without a date when they're single -- in order to get some opposite-sex-success.

Usually you ask what the situation is. If there's not going to be any attractive single gals there and there's no guys without dates who you know going & not in the wedding party, then yeah, you should aim to bring a date -- assuming it'd be appropriate with them (not a family wedding w/ girl you just met who you're 'ehh' about). But being in position where you're not going to have any friends to engage with or single gals to potentially engage with is more the exception from my experience, not the rule.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/4/2013 8:01:24 PM
I went to my son's wedding "dateless". I wasn't dating anyone, I didn't even think about it. I wouldn't have even dreamed of asking some random male (or a male friend) to go with me to my son's wedding as my "date". I've gone to other weddings unaccompanied. Always had a great time, when I want to go somewhere, I do. If I'm dating someone, I'll ask them to go IF they want to, but if they don't that won't keep me from going.

That SCREAMS needy!! Good Lord, are we that unevolved?
 stylinsue
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/6/2013 6:17:11 PM
If I was in the wedding yes, and I have... If I was just attending ? I have and decided NEVER to go single ever again!!!
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/6/2013 9:29:56 PM
"Would you go to a wedding dateless."

Yes
 c_deacon
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2013 12:03:28 PM
Of course I have and did not worry about it at all......In fact, I have been invited out by some at the wedding's because they were single and alone too.....Go figure!

Now, why is it that there are those that are at the wedding, definitely married and yet hit on those of us single? Just wondering!!

cd
 jlynn1955
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2013 8:10:03 PM
My preference is to not go to weddings at all. I really hate going to weddings with or without a date-always have. Blech.

If I have to go to a wedding, it usually doesn't matter to me if I have a date or not.

However, my brother is getting married next year. It's a destination wedding and it's gonna be an awesome trip/party. Small wedding: some of their close friends, my family, her family. Anybody wanna go with me?
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/4/2013 7:42:06 AM
I have & will be again in August for my brothers wedding. Unsure how going stag should make anyone antisocial.
 platypus_man
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2013 1:46:25 AM
I used to, simply because I'm a good dancer and there are always plenty of women who's date would rather just sit there and look dumb. So I would tell the bride and let her know if any of the women she's invited are coming with a guy who doesn't dance, she can just steer them my way. Always worked out quite well.
 dpwesu
Msg: 114
Posted: 6/9/2013 8:34:30 AM
I refuse to attend weddings......and if I do, there is usually a betting pool of how long it will be before one or both jumps ship.

To me weddings, funerals, and graduations tend to bring out the worst in people and I don't have time to listening to all the whining and carrying on people do over absolutely NOTHING!
 quarked
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 9:34:19 PM
Absolutely I would go to a wedding dateless. I'm heading to one in less than a week. I've been to quite a few dateless, because if I'm not serious with a woman, I'm not inviting her to a wedding of one of my friends. I'm going to be so busy trying to catch up with so many old friends, that entertaining a date who doesn't know anybody would be a drag if the relationship isn't serious.
 PA_DancingBear
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/12/2013 7:42:12 AM
No problem with it and probably more fun as I don't need to concern myself with a date's feelings if I want to dance with others.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >