Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chickalina
Msg: 28
view profile
History
A girl, a plane ticket, and a coward.Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
You are only 19 so it would be hard for you to see that it would happen. Once you start an open relationship you might as well say goodbye right then. It couldhave been the other way around and you could of met someone else. Next time you go to buy a ticket be sure to investigate every little thing. He obviously was not the one for you - just be glad you found this out as soon as you did.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 29
view profile
History
A girl, a plane ticket, and a coward.
Posted: 5/13/2008 4:22:52 PM

I'm out 330 dollars, I'm heartbroken, and I have a coward of an ex boyfriend. I just need someone's thoughts that aren't my own, I guess.

You ought to ask the guy to reimburse you for half the ticket. Obviously, you have no way to collect it if he refuses to pay up, but you ought to ask. He wasn't upfront with you while you were making the decision to buy the ticket. You can probably have your ticket put on hold and use it on another flight somewhere else, too. It's not a complete loss.

That's the risk you take with long-distance relationships. Don't beat yourself up too bad. Just be aware that it's always going to be a risk.
 Soorare
Msg: 37
view profile
History
the fact that he was from Omaha
Posted: 5/13/2008 5:46:03 PM
should have been a huge warning signal. Cornhuskers always marry the girl from the next quarter section over...

Tried the Long distance relationship myself three years ago. its the long flight into nowhere...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 5:50:40 PM
^^^^^Not a bad idea, if he feels so poorly maybe he will at least ante up some money.
 WeAre1
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 6:06:18 PM
Op, my thoughts turn to how you could have been calling him your boyfriend after only meeting him in September and visiting him in December only. That's two meets and now a third one that was planned soon I guess......so say if it's May when you would have seen him a third time, so three meets in total in 8 months.....hmmm, you do see that is hardly any time together to get to know each other, don't you?
On top of that, you said you were in an open relationship so you each could meet others, but you justified it only if it was casual connections with others....which I don't understand what that means at all.....what, sex but no emotional connection? Or you could make friendships with no sex? And who can ever guarantee either of these conditions won't lead to a deeper connection?
I also wonder in the 8 months, it sounds like you were the only one making the effort to go and see him with no talk or action of him coming to see you?
These are just the obvious issues I see from your post that makes me almost wonder - how could you not see this coming?
I'm sorry for your loss financially and also emotionally. It is a relatively small price to pay I guess to see that he had no plans of exclusivity with you and I honestly wonder if he really thought of you two as boyfriend and girlfriend.
Again, it seems way too few meets and too little time together to really have forged such commitment as you imagined you both had. I'm sorry you had to learn the truth just after paying for the ticket - isn't that always the way??!! Well, at least you didn't buy a house together or anything like that!
One last question - at any point during this 'relationship' did your guts tell you something might not be completely 'kosher' with him? I would suggest maybe you should start listening within more and maybe consider and communicate what's really going on and perhaps not so much wishful thinking in the future. And if he led you to believe all was totally as you thought it was, again I'm sorry he didn't have the courage to tell you the truth.
 readyornot57
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 7:06:04 PM
He should pay you back the money. Seriously, if he had any integrity, he should.
 Palifornia562
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/13/2008 7:27:09 PM
i will never understand why people get into long distance relationships
 Moongirl616
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 7:57:32 PM
This should say it all, you just got rid of a loser for only 330 dollars, sounds like you got off cheap to me. I know it may not sound great now, but one day you'll be glad you got off that easy. :)
 simpleman20188
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/13/2008 10:29:47 PM
Fly there, live in his house, eat his food, make him take you out places and fvck him like a passion driven demon.

Then go on with your life leaving him to wonder how he could have been so stupid as to have passed you by.

Or you could wimp out and be a victem like so many others here giving you advice.

Your choice.
 Okangan Sun
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2008 9:57:01 PM
Hey, go to the agency or airline and get them to change you ticket for somewhere else, and then GO...alone and have a blast, the more interesting the place, the better. I did that once and ended up instead of the mid-west USA in Guadalajara Mexico. !!!! Andale!!
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:04:09 AM
Maybe you can get him to pay for your ticket directly AFTER he buys himself a set of balls on the organ 'black market.'
 blondago56
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2008 5:45:04 PM
i'd speak with The Airline Personnel to get the flight changed to another destination speak with a Supervisor if you must.... it will be a lesson hard-learned but worth a Lifetime (or it should )
*SO*, what did you do, Op? good luck to you..
 Break and Enter
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/18/2008 5:57:34 PM
Tell him not to feel guilty, because you met a really nice guy and that you traded in your ticket and you're both going away for a few days.
Make up some romantic getaway you know that he knows you always wanted to visit.
 tvlbug
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:46:59 PM
You may be able to trade that ticket in towards a new ticket anywhere that airline flys! Go visit a real friend or go somewhere fun!
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >