Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justwant2no
Msg: 6
China one child per family rulePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
As I understand it, it's not so much a law as a HUGE tax for additional children. Of course if you know anyone who has adopted, they can tell you that one of the largest adoption markets is Chinese girls. Because boys are valued so much more in their culture, girls are turned over to orphanages (or killed, or left to die) in the hopes of having a boy. I have a friend who adopted a little girl from China. She is precious and an absolute doll. It cost them a fortune though (in bribes mostly).
 huixin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
China one child per family rule
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:48:47 PM
Thanks God !!
I am female born and grown in a large city in China especially, I have kind and high-qualified parents. I am the apple in my parents' eyes. They supply me with good education .
 huixin
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 7:08:36 PM
the population in China is in 1.32 billions not million.
1.I have no child and never.
2. My parents have 2---- my older sister and I .
3.My grandparents have 9 children (both died 11yrs ago).
I support one-birth policy.
 slim10022
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2008 1:15:37 PM
MSG 16 im with you on that one , if we didnt have to pay taxes for the idle sods ( and i could name a few ) there would be more for the nhs , schools etc .
Back on topic , if the world goes on produceing more people hows the land going to feed them ? .
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 4:31:35 AM
In theory it's a good idea - in practice - thats another thing altogether. I've heard of the 'female' babies being dumped thereby putting more strain on the country.

Leaving mother nature to 'fix' overpopulation is also good in theory ie epidemics, plagues, new diseases - only trouble is - scientists and do gooders step in and stop mother nature from doing her job. In nature, generally when there is food and space to accommodate then there is an increase in births, ie in a year when there is food a plenty many animals and birds breed twice in a year. When food is scarce, they breed once and the survival rate is poor - as a rule, this works. If an area cannot sustain a population then the population decreases.

Trouble with the 'civilised' world is that we step in and help out when area's become overpopulated and food production is limited. We help maintain the situation because we don't like to see starving kids (why do all the appeals show the kids). These are the same country's where they breed continuously because they know so many of their children will die before reaching adulthood.

In someways China is showing a sensible and reasonable reaction to a given situation - too many births for a country to sustain. If they do nothing then they will end up with more infant deaths due to starvation or disease.

As a short term measure I think they are logically doing the right thing but morally it's a minefield. Dictatorship, prejudice towards male children, etc will prevent this policy from functioning as intended.

Will it happen in the UK - unlikely. Do we have undernourished kids, homeless - yes.

In an ideal world, people would make sound judgements for themselves as to how many children they can sustain - this is not an ideal world.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:01:12 AM
Snazzy, I totally agree with what your saying - but at the end of the day it's the innocent kids that suffer if help is not provided.

The people that keep on breeding without thought of how they can support them ( I don't mean people who's circumstances change drastically) are the ones at fault and how can you penalise them without hurting the kids.

It's a lose lose situation

Could the govenment introduce a compulsory birth control for people who cannot afford to bring up their own kids - I wish.

I chose to make sure (permenantly) i couldnt have anymore kids when i split with my husband. Doc was against it cos I was comparitvely young and my daughter was only seven but told him I could support one child, didnt want the risk of another that I couldn't support. Obviously I gave a good enough argument.

Was I a 'sponger' becasue I needed assistance due to changed circumstance - no I dont think so (well I wouldnt, would I) but as soon as my daughter was old enough I went to college, retrained and have been in full time employment since then so efectively paid back any dues.
 prof48
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/26/2008 6:29:03 AM
Actually the "one child" law, as you stated it is grossly oversimplified. In fact there are frequent exceptions within regions and regional exceptions within China. More often than not, the law does not provide state support for education and welfare of more than one child. Those wealthy enough, including many of my chinese friends, simply pay a fine and pay for the education and medical care of their "extra" children. Were western countries to tell families that they would protect the welfare of one child, but if they had more than one they would be stuck with any costs for food, housing, medical care, etc., our welfare problems might be reduced as well.
 prof48
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/26/2008 6:34:54 AM

In theory it's a good idea - in practice - thats another thing altogether. I've heard of the 'female' babies being dumped thereby putting more strain on the country.

The problem of gender imbalance and discrimination predates the one child policy. There are documented stories of finding live female babies in the trash in Beijing in 1908. How widespread the practice was has never been documented or more accurately, I have not seen documentation.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >