Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bob0colo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

"Senator, how are you going to help the American autoworkers," Agar asked Obama.

Never answered the Question...

Is the Question Bill $hit ?
 Brizo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/17/2008 2:14:58 PM
While it most likely isn't going to sit well with certain militant feminists, it's rather reassuring to me that when he answers absentmindedly he uses an endearment. Now, if he had said, "Hold on, b!tch" THAT would be a red flag....
 Ezzee
Msg: 10
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/17/2008 7:45:56 PM
Wait, we get all pissed off when someone prints a monkey shirt and we call it racist, but yet when Barrack Hussein Obama calls a female reporter "sweetie" we don't get all pissed off over sexism?

You are either going to get pissed off by both or not going to care about both. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

Women, this is your Democratic candidate, basically advocating for women to go back to the kitchen cooking men dinner and being barefoot and pregnant. WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?
 Loveonfire
Msg: 16
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/18/2008 9:48:00 PM
What buggs me is people judging Obama like this. Some people sound so critical like the lady just above me, it's repugnant that they would make a big case out of something like this. It's not Borack who is doing "gender bias", it's those making a big deal out of this. Borack Obama is your Natiions only hope presidentially for a successful future of any sorts. He is the only one that can save America and bring atleast alittle dignity back to that place that over the last century has just degerated and deterioted.

Borack Obama is a class act, and it will be a robbery if he doesn't become the President of the United States. The United States NEEDS a President like Borack Obama, and he is one of the only politians that don't have their heads up their ass.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/19/2008 7:35:30 AM
It's a habit of speech... one he'll be sure to work on and change.

Is Agar one of the regular reporters on the campaign trail?

If Agar didn't feel patronized by the comment and she was there and saw/felt the context of it... why should we be patronized on her behalf?
 Jiperly
Msg: 20
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/19/2008 7:43:21 AM

And by you posting this, your helping people to "make too much over nothing".

I beleive this story falls under the catagory : Who the h*ll cares?

thread w inner.
 Loveonfire
Msg: 22
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/19/2008 8:31:19 AM
Hey Edisto... Patronizing eh??? ....not to make this into an argument as that is not my intent, but many women patronize and call guys all sorts of names every day, why all of a sudden if a gentleman kindly asks a lady to wait by say "hold on, sweetie",why is that all of a sudden considered bad? Only to people with big inflated egos would that be an insult.

I have had many women say that to me even in my adult years, and I never took that as an insult, I was actually pleased that they refferred to me as that. But I surely never once felt insulted by it. I don't have an inflated ego about it.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/20/2008 5:26:34 PM
Summary of what happened according to WXYZ:
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP/WXYZ) - Barack Obama has apologized to a Channel 7 reporter Peggy Agar for calling her "sweetie" and dodging her question about autoworkers.

Agar shouted a question to the Democratic presidential candidate during Obama's appearance Wednesday at a Chrysler LLC plant in Sterling Heights.

Agar asks Obama what he's "going to do to help American autoworkers."

He replies, "Hold on one second, sweetie, we'll do a press avail, thanks" but didn't get back to Agar.

Hour later, Obama left a voicemail for Agar. Obama apologized for not getting back to her. He also told Agar he has a bad habit of calling people "sweetie."

Obama then said: "I mean no disrespect, so I am duly chastened on that front."
http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=13d1f66a-488b-46d3-9d3b-6632e0a8f1f7

Watch the video here: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/254748

The voicemail, provided by WXYZ:
"Hi Peggy. This is Barack Obama. I'm calling to apologize on two fronts. One was you didn't get your question answered and I apologize. I thought that we had set up interviews with all the local stations. I guess we got it with your station but you weren't the reporter that got the interview. And so, I broke my word. I apologize for that and I will make up for it.

Second apology is for using the word 'sweetie.' That's a bad habit of mine. I do it sometimes with all kinds of people. I mean no disrespect and so I am duly chastened on that front. Feel free to call me back. I expect that my press team will be happy to try to make it up to you whenever we are in Detroit next."

You can listen to it here: http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=13d1f66a-488b-46d3-9d3b-6632e0a8f1f7

What She thought about it:
WXYZ reporter Peggy Agar didn't even know about the controversy raging Wednesday over Sen. Barack Obama's "sweetie" comment.

Agar was sleeping after working the early morning reporting shift when the Democratic presidential contender called.
http://www.wxyz.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=8190d4d2-a1da-457c-af83-de8a427fff6b

It's pretty darn clear. She asked him a question when he was surrounded by reporters. Obama told her that he would answer her question in a press avail. He then apologised for not getting back to her an hour later, and for calling her sweetie. She didn't even know there was a problem!

Sounds like a storm in a teacup.
 Ezzee
Msg: 26
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:26:10 PM
Well good, we can dismiss this derogatory piece of free speech as well as the Monkey Shirt piece of Free Speech because neither victim even knew it was a problem.
 Soul Union
Msg: 27
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/20/2008 8:36:44 PM
To many professional women, it's patronizing. - edisto

> But not unprofessional women? Sales clerks, shop assistants, postal delivery women, taxi drivers, etc. Only professional women?
> To me, sweetie is an endearment. My father called my mother sweetie, and I knew everything was all right. Perhaps if Barrack Hussein Obama had used the word b---h, we might have some genuine cause for complaint.
> The PC brigade are out in force, stirring up nothing out of less than nothing, whipping up a storm from a puff of wind.
> Best wishes - Soul Union.
 Soul Union
Msg: 29
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/21/2008 2:31:25 AM
Are you implying that Obama's use of "sweetie" was a term of "endearment"?
this was said to a reporter, not his wife. - edisto

> If the reporter had been a man, and Barrack Hussein Obama had referred to him as sweetie, I may have raised an incredulous eyebrow, but this was a man speaking to the gentler sex with a term of endearment, in my opinion.
> All women are sweeties, as far as I am concerned, but in your case I will grant an exception.
> Best wishes - Soul Union.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/21/2008 5:33:02 AM
What amazes me is the fact that this thread went on this far on such a ridiculous subject.

Men are being called just about everything from sweetie, honey, love and so on and I never heard one complain or make a fuss about it. It’s a little slip of the tongue and nothing more.

Get over it already!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Hold On, Sweetie!
Posted: 5/22/2008 8:28:39 AM
If you watch the clip, she got the POLITE brush-off. Everyone else got the COLD SHOULDER. If this is patronising, maybe he should have just completely ignored her, like he did the men?

The same goes for waitresses. If a waitress DOESN'T say “ Hey sweetie you need that coffee warmed up a bit ?” then she almost always ignores you, and you have to demand to the manager to have your coffee warmed up.

Sure, it's patronising. What is patronising, is that without it, you don't get any patronage at all.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >