Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Paranormal experiences - share them here.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 soicat
Msg: 51
Paranormal experiences - share them here.Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I've tried willing myself to wake up, to scream, whatever and never been successful. I would estimate this has happened to me at the very least 20 times in my life. As I mentioned, it's also happened to my sister and at least one of my brothers. For me it has always been totally nightmarish and like I said, I actually feel an 'evil' presence.

Sleep paralysis occurs because your astral body isn't back in your physical body after leaving it during sleep. You'll be able to see spirits and other entities that occupy the astral plane, or at least sense their presence, which is what makes the experience so terrifying.

The Esdaile technique of imagining ascending a staircase might work. I'll give it a try. I just try to relax myself out of it now, which isn't too difficult as long as nothing is attacking you; quite difficult to relax if something is.

"Twilight sleep" BTW was induced by drugs. It was popular for providing a "painless childbirth" but I think it's been out of fashion for decades.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 52
Paranormal experiences - share them here.
Posted: 12/6/2011 3:18:00 AM
Just love this information on dreams and dream states soicat. Good food for thought. It does seem like one point of view treats the "experience" as simply a boldily function and not much more whereas the other viewpoint considers "entities" as well as a bodily function. Just wondering how one could possibly get hard evidence to support either view.

Rath, I'm not sure the affect overfrequent rubbing of your wife's juggs would have on a carpet moving. Possibly a shave is in order? Also, keep in mind if the carpet was manufactured on Coco Beach, FL there have been known genies in that area. I'm not ruling out genies yet.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/6/2011 12:05:48 PM
RobertinStages, one way to find out about what people call 'sleep paralysis' (without actually having to fall asleep, etc.), is to find a local hypnotherapist who is adept at teaching people to reach the Esdaile level. Once you've deliberately attained it in a waking state and learned how to make your body respond in that state (and come out of that state at will), you'll never be concerned about awakening in 'sleep paralysis' again. And, it will answer your question re it (above).
 RobertinStages
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/7/2011 4:05:47 AM
Interesting Glen. I'm really a scaredy cat and would be reluctant to try Esdaile myself in fear of "seeing entities on an astral plane". I don't invite or look for entities myself. I do enjoy hearing about them and watching "evidence" on TV. I guess in a way it helps me validate and cope with my own experiences. I'm wondering though if you did see entities while during an Esdaile state if it could be relied upon as evidence or discounted because you were in that state.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/7/2011 11:13:51 AM
RobertinStages, I've never heard of there being anyone you pick up on in Esdaile. It simply is an effective way to deal with (and use) 'sleep paralysis'.

WobblyAngelWings4Now, it sounds like your dreams were near your regular waking time (say, within the last few hours). We sometimes have venting dreams then which remove old fears which have proven pointless.

For instance, if you at one time were told by someone who was being mean that you were crazy, and if you started to question yourself that that person might be right (hence the negative emotions and fear), your subconscious might now be purging those fears and emotions from the past as the falsehoods they are.

The subconscious will discard the emotional attachment to the memories and couch them in a dream sequence of some sort. If as I suspect that is what's happening, just let it go and be glad your subconscious is 'taking out the trash'. It may be uncomfortable at the time, but it gets the job done if you don't interfere with the process or worry unduly about the validity of the imagery being used.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/7/2011 5:59:24 PM
I think I understand more about what your saying Glen. The "Esdaile level" is not the same state as "sleep paralysis" but a state in which you can practice the "technique". Because you aren't actually at the same "state" you would not experience astral beings if there are any.
 Glenoran1
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:16:00 PM
^^^^ 'Sleep paralysis' is the Esdaile level of hypnosis, which some people go into during sleep sometimes. That's all it is.

I've never heard of anyone in Esdaile level encountering anyone of any form while in that level. It isn't an OOBE either.

The most efficient level of hypnosis for most therapy, age regression, etc. is somnambulism, but if you slip deeper than that, you reach the Esdaile level, which is the deepest level of hypnosis known so far.

Please realize, hypnosis is a strong, single-idea focus. We go in and out of hypnosis many times a day, naturally. Anytime you're caught up in a TV show, movie, book, etc., and you don't notice what's going on around you, you're in natural hypnosis. You couldn't accomplish much without that level of concentration. Also, any strong emotion (negative or positive) is a hypnotic state, as we're focused strongly on what's going on or what we're feeling, and not on anything else.

Esdaile is just a deeper level of this natural state.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/11/2011 5:47:50 AM
I've been laid up with a head cold. Thank goodness for some great shows on TV last night regarding the paranormal. Paranormal State, Dead Files, My Ghost Story, and Celebrity Ghost Story. Many stories included being woken up and held down. It didn't end there though. During their awake hours, strange happenings and seeing entities were encountered by the persons telling the story. I think when you add the events of the awake hours you can't discount the encounters to sleep paralysis. Just love those stories and shows.
 soicat
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/11/2011 10:36:22 AM
Sleep paralysis is actually the 'Esdaile' level of hypnosis.

That said, if someone is in Esdaile level, they cannot, say, raise their arm. BUT ... they can mentally target the arm and say in their minds firmly, "RIGHT ARM ... RAISE", repeating it a few times, and the arm will slowly raise. They could leave it in that position for hours, and it would never get tired, feel heavy, stiff or sore. Esdaile is the deepest level of hypnosis known at this time.

To get out of Esdaile level, you just imagine, say, stairs going upwards, and tell yourself something along the lines of "With each stair I climb up, I become more my usual waking self." Then slowly mentally climb the stairs, pausing every few stairs. If you can visualize the stairs in your mind's eye, all the better (about 40% of the population can visualize; the rest can only imagine). This process will let you 'climb' up out of Esdaile into Somnambulism, at which time you'll have control of your body, but be sluggish. From there you can continue 'climbing stairs' to exit hypnosis into full regular wakefulness.

Got a chance to test this out last night as I had an attack of sleep paralysis.

First, I definitely could not raise my arm by mentally targeting it. This makes sense because if you could mentally move your limbs while sleeping what would stop you from moving them in a dream? You'd be thrashing around all night, or at least while you were dreaming.

Second, I didn't have any success with mentally climbing stairs. It didn't help at all. I just relaxed, and eventually gained control. I didn't go through any somnambulism state, either. I woke up fully awake - I felt I was fully awake while paralyzed of course, I just couldn't move.

I'm convinced that sleep paralysis is caused by the astral body being outside the physical body because I once struggled very hard to get out of bed, turned, and saw my physical body lying there. I stopped struggling and was immediately pulled back into my physical body.

Robert - hope you're feeling better. No entity or spirit visitors last night. I did hear knocking though, as I was falling asleep. That's a common sign that someone/thing is around, and that an episode of sleep paralysis is likely.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/11/2011 8:11:13 PM
Feeling much better thank you!

Interesting that you hear knocking as you fall off. Kind of good cause you have a warning of sorts. As you may know I really do not like "visitors" in my space. I like to hear and watch but no way in person. If you are like me, maybe you can use the "knocking" as a signal to pray. Most of these "experts" on these shows use either prayer and/or a statement stating that they are not welcome. When I feel even the slightest funny about something I like to say something like this, "I am a spirt in this universe and have every right to live and to grow without being bullied by unwanted spirits." "God I do not want to see, hear or feel thier presence. Please remove them and protect me from them." When I was really encountering spirits in that house I lived in back in college I would also add Hail Mary's and Our Father's.
 soicat
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/12/2011 10:50:43 PM
Glad you're feeling better, Robert.

That's a good suggestion.

You're fortunate to have encountered spirits. I feel sorry for skeptics as they're in for quite a shock when they pass.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2011 10:51:25 PM
Thank you, soicat,
for leading me to this thread from the other forum. People are much nicer here.

Your sleep paralysis theory is very interesting. As you noticed, soicat, the paralysis is the body’s way of protecting itself from harming yourself as it would not be safe to move while asleep.

I have been journaling my dreams since 1987 and when I do have nightmares I’m okay having them because I am used to them by now. I have also been able to have 2 lucid dreams in my life, which stopped recurring nightmares. But the hallucinatory sleep paralysis is something I have no control over and it is terrifying, even for someone who doesn’t mind nightmares. Thank God it doesn't happen often. But if it did happen on a daily basis I could see why some people who are pathologized might have a mental crisis or what it might be like to be locked in that state.
 soicat
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/14/2011 9:18:47 AM
There are two ways of looking at the "hallucinations" you experience during sleep paralysis: the first is that they are your own projections, simply hallucinations in other words; the second is that they are real entities, spirits, demons, angels and other entities.

Given some of the things I've experienced, I don't know which prospect is more disturbing.

I have come to accept the latter view, however, as, although I could possibly accept that the demonic entities I've encountered are just horrible nightmares, I have also, on one occasion, communicated with an "angelic" entity that was so far above me that it found our interaction very amusing, even humorous. I can't believe that it was my own projection. It told me things about my future and, since its visit - twenty years ago - I haven't been troubled by demonic attacks, just regular spirits and perhaps some other lower but non-demonic entities.

I can understand why we're not visited by higher beings very often though. It felt so wonderful to be in its presence - it came into my room as a ball of light - that I was very depressed for weeks after the experience: it was like being taken to a 5 star resort and then dropped back into the middle of a slum.

There is a lot more going on than we are aware of in our day-to-day lives. I don' t have the answer to anything, alas, but at least I'm aware of my ignorance.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:39:48 PM
soicat:
Yes, I call them hallucinations because I don’t know what else to call them. Even though I don’t believe they were hallucinations I will probably keep calling that until I know what it really is.

I have never had an out of body experience (obe) before. I think that’s different because I never left my body. I was only aware of the sounds and actual touch on my body. Also, not sure what the difference is between astral projections and obe. I don’t feel strongly about real entities one way or another, but I’m pretty open to possibilities and theories. When I looked up all possible options nothing seemed to resonate for me.

I think when this type of sleep paralysis happens, the most available tool is the attempt to interpret my dreams which I am getting quite good at after so many years. I feel a lot of the clues are going to be linked to the dream content. I can't explain why but I also have a gut feeling that this experience is strongly linked to lucid dreaming somehow, or lack thereof.

wobblyangel:
I'm sorry about your experience of violation in sleep paralysis. I think there is a difference between regular sleep paralysis and actually hearing real voices and feeling the presence of entities. If it is the former, a recurring theme with a different story line you can try lucid dreaming. Many years ago I used to dream of being chased by black vicious dogs. At the time I was reading a book on lucid dreaming and just set aside an intention to control the outcome of my dream when it happened again and sure enough couple of days later I dreamt of the black dogs. In my dream I stopped running and said to myself it's just a dream, I can do whatever I want. One dog took my hand in its mouth and started chewing for only a second. When it realized I wasn't scared it stopped and I felt its jaw relax. My hand full of saliva slid out of its mouth and they (the dogs) ran away. I never again had this recurring dream.

I tried the same technique with a recent dream where I was hugging a terrifying monster with a human vampire-like face, hoping to turn around the dream by pretending everything would be okay if I embraced it but it didn't work and I barely managed to wake up before he took a big bite off of my face.
 soicat
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/15/2011 7:31:12 AM
Wobblyangel - You have my sympathy as I know how terrifying these experiences can be. Trying to scream your way out of it may make the attack worse as fear intensifies the experience; you will notice that the volume of the voices etc. increases as your fear increases, it's like stepping on the gas in your car. The only way out is to try to relax. Prayer may assist you with this. I regularly get sleep paralysis but haven't had an attack similar to the ones you describe since I encountered the higher entity described above. I hope you do not have any more of these!

Happy Single Spirit - I think you're right that sleep paralysis has something in common with lucid dreaming. In both cases you are in your astral body, and also consciously aware that you are not in the physical realm. That's where the similarity ends though because in sleep paralysis you do not have the option of attempting to manipulate either the experience or the entities you encounter. The human spirits are simply people without physical bodies, the demonic entities just want to attack you, the lower entities aren't subject to reason, and the higher ones aren't subject to any influence from you except perhaps to the extent they feel compassion for you. Unlike a dream, where every part of the dream is composed of the dreamer, the entities encountered in sleep paralysis - the flotsam and jetsam of the spirit world - have an independent existence.
 Maddtis
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/22/2011 4:34:01 PM
A few years back me and friends from Japan decided to go to Aokigahara Forrest and spend a few nights there, its a place that many people go to commit suicide. But on the last night before we was set to leave we had a fire going and was just in a circle laughing and joking around about it not being haunted. Right as I said something about feeling a cold wind the 3 people and myself, saw a shadow pass across trees behind the people across the fire from us.

Theres no way someone could have cast a shadow and not been seen by 11 people in a circle and with the leaves walk pass without being heard. After that the 4 of us sat in our tent the whole night and once we seen the parking lot of the park went into a dead sprint to get out of that forest. I have no reason or plans to go back if I go back to Japan one day.
 lacalli
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/22/2011 5:35:17 PM
It's no longer "paranormal" and is simply "normal." I don't try and prove or convince anyone anymore. I simply find like-minded and/or tolerant folks and enjoy myself. I spend my summer vacations in such a community in Western NY. I look forward to it all year.
 Rokei57
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:53:29 PM
When I was little, I had a sleepover with a few girls. In the morning one of my friends asked who the lady was that went through the hallway the night before. I told her it was my mother, but she said that this was a younger girl and described her from her red hair to the dress she was wearing. The description fit my recently deceased sister right down to the dress she was buried in.
 RobertinStages
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/29/2011 6:47:18 PM
That is trippy Rokie!! In a way it is a nice feeling knowing that a passed loved one can still share experiences with us.

Speaking of dreams, I learned very young that I could "manipulate" my dreams. I love to "fly" in my dreams and learned that I could go find a high place and jump. When it came to nightmares I have learned that I need to first calm down. Then, in my dream, I ask myself why I need to experience this fright. Something is happening in my life and the "monster" cannot kill the problem or me. This more times than not, brings me to a different stage of the dream where I experience something that is usually sad or melancholy.
 pappy009
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:25:41 PM
I was doing a spiritual exercise from my discorse. I sat on the couch and peered without blinking into a ball with a steady light reflection. The idea of not blinking was to fool the brain...I did this for about 10 minutes without blinking...it was tough...but...suddenly I heard or felt a snap...I was outside my body looking at myself sitting on the couch...eyes closed...I was right infront of my body...suddenly I was traveling down a dark area, I don't know how to explain this part...but up ahead there was a speck of light that got bigger and bigger as I ...think...got closer to it...when I hit the opening or light thru a door...I was in a world you just could not believe...the color...the feeling of love and joy was overwhelming...I can't explain it...the clouds were silver and gold light shone on it but no sun to be seen...the water was bluer than blue and so was the sky...the leaves on the trees shone...as did the grass...that the only way I could explain it...it all glowed. I was suspended above the ground about 6 ft...just floating in space or air...mesmerized..totally...but suddenly I felt fear...when that happened I felt myself slowly fall back into my body....downward....

and no...I don't do drugs.
 pappy009
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:48:35 PM
I was doing a lunch break at work...we use to get an hour break....I would go over to my buddies apt. and have a tea with him...hes English....we sat and talked about 15 minutes and he said would you like a tea...I said sure...and he left the room...when he left something happened...I was stilled...in front of me something happened...a rainbow was opening up a opening or portal or what ever...a feeling of love came upon me that was overwhelming again....I fell to my knees in joy and laughing...I couldn't stop...a man..I think came forward at me and placed his hand on my head and started to say something to me....for the life of me I don't have a clue what he said....to this day....all I know is I agreed to something or understood something....slowly he backed away and at that moment my buddy came back into the room...he looked at me and just stared...said what happened...I told him...and he just looked at me....the experience lasted about 10 minutes....but my buddy was gone a few seconds...

and no, I don't do drugs..
 pappy009
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:06:24 PM
Last one....

Home, I use to contemplate a lot in those days...contemplation is as effective as meditation but a little more active. You simply stare at one spot and let your mind go....so...at home...contemplating and drifting upon the idea of flying and letting it go....I felt that snap again...i popped up into the sky...where a man held out his hand to me and I took it...and he started to fly above the clouds, thru them, again that feeling of love....we did this for some time....but the time was up and again back to the body....

Hey...I can't explain why these things happen...and no I don't need a shrink...its been a while since the last one yrs in fact...I feel like the guy in slaughter house five...but there all true and theres a few more but i will keep them for myself...I have only told a few people about this but wow...you just got to get it out, why I don't know. For some reason I'm telling you people.
 soicat
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/31/2011 11:28:14 AM

a feeling of love came upon me that was overwhelming again....I fell to my knees in joy and laughing...I couldn't stop...a man..I think came forward at me and placed his hand on my head and started to say something to me....for the life of me I don't have a clue what he said....to this day....

That's sounds very similar to my experience with the blue light or "angel." The feeling of love was overwhelming, and there was also a very humorous component - my darkest fears, and worries and strivings were made to seem very funny. And it didn't communicate with words, but much faster than language, like big chunks of thought.

The experience was surreal, and difficult to convey, and at the same time indelible, and unforgettable, as though the rest of my life was the dream, and it was the reality.
 zen11_11
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/5/2012 10:52:14 PM
Greetings: Things are not paranormal it is the human race that is paranormal as you may feel after looking into this you may get the impression that the life we can see is only a fraction of what is actually around us.
I have had just about every paranormal exp save being attacked and or abducted. For me my "sleep paralysis " was due to a small entity that climbed up the bed and ran over my legs I could hear it breathing along with the sound of very small foot falls.
I attempted to look however I could not move until it was gone.And as I write this there are orbs moving around me and small dark shadows darting around the desk and computer.I have gotten used to these things and as I mentioned this is just the tip of my "paranormal ice berg"
Telepathy,
other dimemtional life,
precog' dreams of people ,places /events ,
as well as humanoids ,
and being indirectly involved in government leaks about the truth of our world and reality.
I am not sure why these things happen myself and others like you , however it was not to gain popularity or personal interest , it has torn my family and friends apart and all but ruined my life.
It must mean something and since all of you here have had exp with these types of things it feels as if we are being trained or prepped for "something"
 CallmeKen
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/5/2012 11:16:47 PM
I had a paranormal experience once. It's a little scary, so the feint of heart might not want to read it.

I was surfing POF and saw a beautiful woman's profile. For some reason I felt compelled to write her. This is the scary part - she wrote back! We talked for a bit, exchanged numbers, and agreed to meet for coffee.

When we met, it was strange. She had no emotional problems, was not hung up on her ex or weighed down with baggage. She had a stable career, a healthy mix of interests and hobbies, and was not clingy or manipulative. She was cute and funny. We had a great conversation and she seemed genuinely interested in me.

I went home after the date and immediately threw away her number. Such a thing just doesn't happen on POF. She must have been a ghost or something.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Paranormal experiences - share them here.