Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Grand Forks, menards, border crossing.... bars... rubber glove ???wtf      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 edjoecdn
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Grand Forks, menards, border crossing.... bars... rubber glove ???wtf ! lolPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello all,....

I just returned from a solo trip to Grand forks. I went down there primarily to place a order for some windows, from menards,... and spend ALOT of time checking out everything the store has....
** If anyone is thinking about windows... let me tell you that they are having a sale till june 1st and on ordering 4 windows... price to price - apples to apples... I'm saving over to $ 400.00 dollars..well worth the trip ! gas about $1.06 a ltr at pembina N.D

I discovered the night life in G.F too... dwntwn, 3rd street, muddy rivers and others. Can you say free pour ??? a dble paralyzer only $ 4.00 ??? ( more like a triple or quad.. the no ice messed them up ! lol ) one positive aspect !

But I have a word of warning, ( i've not crossed the border in over 15 years...) .

You HAVE TO BE IN THE STATES FOR **** 48 HOURS **** exactly !!! ( or more ) !!!!
I was 3-1/2 hours short ( apparently ) and the CBSA were a bunch of pricks !!
Here i was on a leisurely trip , no deadlines.. not a care in the world... I had an accounting of all my receipts, my hotel receipt for 2 nites, everything... I stopped at duty free in pembina ND to purchase some stuff ( like the cigars and cigarette tubes for friends [official word> say it's for your own personal use otherwise... )
I was Mr responsible traveler totally forth coming and everything...

They revoked my exemption ! ( If only 24 hours a $ 50 exemption is granted [ no smokes or booze] and if over the $50. in allowable goods then exemption is revoked !!!! )

1 hour" in the office" with the supervisor , they calculated my "options" then drive back to pembina N.D> (to return duty free items purchased )then another hour "in the office" again ( same prick who was in the both was now on the desk ) and he tried to dble my duties X2 then requesting the superviser again... waiting another 1/2 hr while this original prick made me "stew"...

Then finally, the girl who originally calculated my duties returned with the supervisor and he "removed" the additional fees ..... till i realized they still charged me duties on one item i returned to duty free..

So be warned, I'd not want another friendly Manitobian to endure such a hassle for a few hours short of the OFFICIAL 48 hours...

Oh and i know what your going to say, NO they wouldn't let you back in the states to wait out the 3 1/2 hours cuase I officially entered CDA.. if i went back the clock would start all over again.... NOW is that stupid or what !!!!

No wonder tourism is taking a nosedive... who would want to come here when power tripping youths ( ) are "manning" our border and common sense gets thrown out the window...

For any info on any of this feel free to comment or PM me....
 CuriousDav56
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Grand Forks, menards, border crossing.... bars... rubber glove ???wtf ! lol
Posted: 5/21/2008 1:26:28 PM
I'm guessing you enjoyed the rubber glove .

You didn't comment on that part.

j/k...lol
 edjoecdn
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 5:22:39 PM
Ya know what started it ? The young border kid working the booth !

he kept asking me when I entered into the states.... I told him sometime after the hockey game.. ( i watched the russians win in ot .. ) and I casually packed my stuff and left.
I dunno,.... 2, 3, 4 ??? I wasn't paying attention... ( which i told him over and over and over ) but he kept pressing!

I even , get this! Spent an hour waiting and talking with the cdn border people when i was going into the states just to make sure i knew wtf was going on... so no I didn't know the exact time and was honest with the punk!

I told him I had to go into the office anyways and was expecting to pay duty on some stuff ... then on another round of questioning inside the chick asked me again I told her the same thing i didn't know and she pressed me too ! Then said I shouldn't have lied to the guy in the booth ? WTF I didn't know what time ??? and he said I told him a solid answer...!! ( flucking liar )
Then she said I was being deceptive !!! WTF....???

My advice is lie, keep track of your entrance time some how... as proof !

FYi : uppitty I knew the rubber glove thing would draw you out ! ... lol didn't happen.. which is by far the only bright spot to this encounter !
 susan_cd
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/21/2008 6:43:46 PM
Some more words of advice...

When driving across into the US and the cutoms guy asks

"Are there any firearms in the vehicle?"

"... ? I'm not sure." Is a really really really bad answer.

( I was in a friend's truck with him & his wife, and he'd been hunting the previous weekend with some friends. When they asked, he really wasn't sure, so he didn't want to say no and have them find some should they search the vehicle. )

Probably didn't help that when he ordered us out of the vehicle my buddy was wearing a pair of army combat pants.....
 redsss
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2008 7:31:52 PM
I travel to the States all the time and I have never had any problems and yes I have (do) lie at the border coming back.
This friday I am going down in the morning to have a new tire installed on my bike and then ride back. When they ask if I bought anything the answer will be no, if they ask did you do any repairs to your vechile again the answer will be no. There is no way for them to tell. If they ask why I went down, I just went for a ride for the day.
 geekybroad
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/21/2008 11:19:04 PM

... keep track of your entrance time some how... as proof !

That's why I go to the store as soon as I cross and buy a pack of candies or gum.

I think they tag license plates when entering with the time of entry too.

They were giving you a hard time because that is their job. They will sometimes purposefully change their story or lie about what other officers have said to see your reaction and observe if you start changing your story. You gave them an opening to start bugging you, and they will continue bugging you to see if you're *really* anxious about something.
 susan_cd
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/22/2008 5:36:18 PM

"Are there any firearms in the vehicle?"

"... ? I'm not sure." Is a really really really bad answer.

An even worse answer is....."why, what do you need?"

hadn't thought of that.

I'm guessing "what business is it of yours?" is also not reccomended
 Tin_Man
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2008 6:52:37 AM
Or there is always...

"Just a minute... I'll check... "

Then mumble.... "Let's see... I think I have one around here somewere..."

That should "animate" them... LOL

T_M
 edjoecdn
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 12:59:53 PM
Actually "justice" it wasn't even close to a rubber glove ! lol But thks for the warm and fuzzy thoughts... a stick ? ..... "OUCH" ! lol

I actually demanded to speak to whomever is in command . but it was usless . Said authority was simple "parrotting" what the guards said previously... almost word for word !

What has happened to " common sense",.... they're desparate for officers and hire just about anyone... ( most of the ppl working the border were under 30 ? .. kids, immature and power tripping )....

Now that's the impression they are making on our neighbours and more so on their fellow cdns returning... all a**holes...

It's a slippery slope when "good" people are having the book throw at them for being a few hours short.... BLACK & WHITE ? BUllsh*t !

Perhaps I should complain about them "smoking" on crown land ? or how they should all be "setting an example" for our younger folk by being forced to quit all together !
 wpghockeyguy77
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:41:18 PM
I have been to Grand Forks this winter and the past winter. I made sure i was there 48hs this winter as the winter before i was not feeling good and headed home a bit earlier than the 48hrs. At the border they gave me a hard time and kept asking when i hand entered the states. i was a few hrs early and they eventually let me through but said next time make sure it was 48hrs.

they do take a picture of your vehicle and licence plate so they know the exact time you cross. its all on a computer so it doesnt matter what crossing you use.
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/25/2008 3:16:33 PM

Perhaps I should complain about them "smoking" on crown land ? or how they should all be "setting an example" for our younger folk by being forced to quit all together !
............pot calling kettle..................you have kids and smoke too?........and when they enforce the rules you question them?..................not a fan of authourity by any means, but i do know not to f,,,, w/ those guys....totally agree they go overboard............
 tema
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:27:05 PM
I cross weekly with my job, often only for 48 hrs. Once asked booth guy if he couldn't just look on his computer for when i crossed. He said No which i don't believe. Best advice is stay full 48hrs. Proof is good but I don't think its necessary.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:33:51 AM
Lesson has definitely been learned.... EXACTLY ( if not more than ) 48 HOURS !

My complain or rant was the insensitivity and immaturity of some of the "agents"!
Some of these,barely into their 20's , agents are power tripping!
Local management , while i thought would have a little more compassion and wisdom to know the difference between accidentally crossing a little too early and someone smuggling that extra carton of smokes ! ( A high crime in canada ???? lol )

But throw common sense and logic out the window... most of these types simply act and react to simple triggers !

But to speak to the new poster above... getting into the states ( while a cause for anxiety even though I was "clean" and not packing any firearms or such ) was a much easier then coming back!

It's the cdn agents, the 1st impression many will have of canada is what worries me ! They love to give their own kind "the gears" especially if you appear not afeared ! lol
 twoshadows2
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/30/2008 7:52:19 AM
It's funny what will set off the border guards sometimes. I've discovered a few things throughout the years. On the day I'm crossing the border I trim my beard and don't look scruffy at all. Don't wear sunglasses;look the guard in the eye. For God's sake don't be wishy-washy;be sure of what you're saying. It may sound evasive to a customs official if you're not sure about your answers. I have been searched on the way home for what may seem silly.like having two people in the vehicle and only claiming 1 bottle of booze(my brother doesn't drink)or not spending your full exemption.
 TooShadows
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 7:02:44 AM
Once a year,usually on the August long weekend I head down to the States for a muzzleloading competition,so I'm carrying firearms in my vehicle both ways. The States adopted a new law a few years ago that says the Canadians must have a valid reason to bring firearms in,like hunting or target shooting,but a permit is needed for cartridge firearms. Most guys I know first get a small game licence for about $15 and use that as a basis for their permit,but blackpowder muzzle-loading firearms are exempt from this. The only time I've had trouble was when the border official didn't understand "muzzle-loading". A half hour later I said "black-powder" and suddenly he understood,so off I went.
The 1st year that firearms were registered in Canada I was coming back from the shoot,and I ran into some problems. I always tell Canada Customs that I'm returning with my own firearms,and sometimes they want to see them to make sure I already owned them and I'm not smuggling something back into Canada. However the officer (new on the job)noticed that the serial number on one of my rifles did NOT exactly match the number on the registration certificate. Apparently it was typo or the registrar didn't read my horrible writing properly. Even though I had this rifle entered on a green card for exported items he was still giving me trouble,threatening to charge me with attempting to smuggle a firearm into Canada or making me leave it in the States. I finally had to ask to talk to his supervisor. When the supervisor came out I explained the situation and showed him the green card,and immediatley he apologised and told me to have a good trip home. I pretty much cringe whenever I see a young person waiting in the booth,because chances are they are a trainee.
 amber187
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:46:35 PM
Well instead of complaining why don't you check out what time you actually got there last time. Yah they may be young and that but being as they have to follow the rules they are assigned with when hired they have to do there job. I'm young so are you saying if I was to work at the border crossing I would be power tripping cause i have a certain amount of authority over people I dont think I would for the simple fact i would just wanna do my job the way it is suppose to be done.Yah so maybe those border crossing guards were on a power trip but you know not all young people are like that you know. So is it ok when an older person doesn't follow there job duties like there suppose to does that mean we can call them idiots and that or does that mean we will just have alot of other people sitting there calling us the idiot even if we are right. I think hey you should know the border rules and that before you cross shouldn't you infact anywhere you travel you should know the rules and that guess that's just common sense isn't it. I think all different ages are on a power trip so they are equal.
 amber187
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 10:48:32 PM
I may not of worded this properly due to the amount of work i have been working lately but yah oh well lol
 TooShadows
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Grand Forks, menards, border crossing
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:31:39 AM
I went to the States on Tuesday the 14th. Bit of a pain with Hwy 75 closed,but we crossed on Hwy 59 and worked our way south-west to Grand Forks. Crossing the border into the States wasn't too bad,even though my mother forgot her birth certificate. The immigration officer allowed me to vouch for her. Coming back into Canada at the same crossing we encountered something new:we had to first stop at US Customs and show our ID before proceeding on to Canadian Customs. No problem there,we didn't even have to pay duty on the $150 we were over our limit.
 TooShadows
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Grand Forks, menards, border crossing
Posted: 8/4/2009 8:05:12 AM
Well,another trip to the States under our belt. We went down for a yearly muzzleloading competition I've been attending since about 1985. We decided to get the new enhanced ID cards instead of passports. There was a major difference at the border. When we arrived the line-up started just before the entrance to the Canadian Duty-free store. A year ago it would have been at least an hour wait from that point,probably more,but in fact we got through in under a half hour. The border guard swiped our ID's,asked us where we were going and how long we were going down for,asked exactly what kind of guns I had(cartridge firearms require a permit, muzzleloaders don't)and we were off.
Coming back was just as quick;we got back to the border at 1:30 pm,the line-up was about 7 cars in each of 4 lanes,and we were through in under 10 minutes. The new passport/enhanced ID rule may have seemed silly,but it sure sped things up both ways.
 rocz
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/16/2011 6:05:48 PM
I had the same problem.. Only it was 45 min shy of the 48 i also had to return my booze . We had all our reciepts and were not over on our 48 hour but because we were approx 45 mins shy they nailed us hard and i think the really enjoyed it. We we polite and respectful so there was no reason for them to do this to us ..Your right what a bunch of PRICKS
 edjoecdn
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2011 11:14:34 AM
They should have an "undercover boss" cruz thru the border 45 minutes early... that would be sweet for those power tripping kids....... grrrrrrrrrrr

Oh news flash.... apparently they plan on stopping every 10th car to hassle... so it may be a beat the odds kind of thing...
 TooShadows
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2011 11:09:28 AM
I thought we were all supposed to get the new Enhanced Driver's Licence?

My Enhanced ID card expired last fall when I renewed my driver's licence and it the new Driver's Licences look EXACTLY like an EIC. However much to my surprise when crossing the border on August 5 the Customs Officer informs me that I don't have an "Enhanced" Driver's Licence. Luckily she allowed me to also use my birth certificate as proof of citizenship. Now I have to see about either an Enhanced Driver's Licence or renewing my EIC.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/14/2011 1:14:51 PM
Isn't this where people are saying 'don't do the crime if you can't do the time?' If it says 48 hours, why would you think that 47.75 is 48? Keeping time is something most of us learned by junior high, most vehicles and cell phones have clocks, so I'm not sure why anyone is complaining when they fail to meet the known in advance requirements...
 1978CY
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/14/2011 5:10:44 PM
I've had horrible boarder experiences and great ones. I found out that apparently there is a vehicle exactly like mine that has been a known vehicle to transport drugs over the boarder. So every time I went over saying I was going to a concert they raped my vehicle... because anytime someone goes to a concert they are obviosuly doing drugs ... so once I got wind of that, I always make sure I am diligent at the boarder. I have all my facts straight, and everything I need to back it up. I know the answers before they ask the questions. Since I have in essence prepared myself, I've never had an issue...

I've never had the time issue... but at the same time I have never been even close to bringing back my allowed limit.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 10:58:52 AM
Belle,

Whay aren't you fortunate enough to be OCD with the time... so if someone tells you they'll see you in a week that it'll mean exactly 168 hours from that specific second ???

Perhaps with you, most others would throw in a "ish" ... but the intent is the same...

I couldn't prove when I went into the states... stupid me for assuming they record shit like that and share it between the two various agencies working only yards apart from one another...

But then to have someone come on like it's matter of fact and implying I was less then intelligent... well I took offense at that and felt you needed to be corrected.

There are likely a zillion things I know "matter of factly" that you may not be able to grasp; do I insult ? no .... empathy and compassion and understanding.... the canadian way .. except at the border...
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Grand Forks, menards, border crossing.... bars... rubber glove ???wtf ! lol