Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Why give your number?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SolSurfer
Msg: 1
Why give your number?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Now being back into the single scene and trying to meet woman, my question to the ladies is: WHY give us your number if there's no chance of you either answering or returning our call???? I'd rather you say no! Please explain the reasons for this? Thanks!!
 littlephishy
Msg: 2
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/21/2008 3:09:07 PM
Ya, What he said...............^
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/21/2008 4:03:15 PM

I'd rather you say no!

The problem is you don't get to decide that, she does, and if she doesn't want to talk to you, she probably doesn't care what you prefer. I'd say you are probably lucky to find out earlier rather than later just how inconsiderate she is. Even if she is real busy it would only take a minute to call back and say that.
 SolSurfer
Msg: 4
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/21/2008 4:08:35 PM
That's the point why give us your number if you have no intentions of having further communications with us. When we ask for your number just be upfront and say not this time maybe next time or some other excuse!!!
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/21/2008 4:23:32 PM
Why it happens just doesn't matter because the end result is the same - she doesn't talk to you. I think we just have to accept it as part of life and move on. Even if she told you something, all you would have is one of a possible 100 different reasons. Is it the REAL reason? Who knows? All you would have is ONE reason. Would you really then be any happier? Forgetabouther.
 sarg8r
Msg: 6
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:42:18 PM
If women are giving you their number and then never answering or returning your call, they obviously think very highly of themselves and think they are doing you a favor. It's ridiculous when everyone on here is here to find someone special. I say, do a 3 strikes you are out...try 3 text or message combos...you don't hear back? Leave their number in your phone & put a little note...instead of their last name, put REJECTED in parantheses! :) Makes me smile! Good luck to you & FUUUUHHHGEDDDD ABOUT IT!
 wolfie34761
Msg: 7
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:34:50 PM
hmmmmmmm, well, i personally don't give out my phone number UNLESS i do want to hear from the person..... but i could turn the question around a little bit and ask : why would a guy ask for my number, or accept my business card if HE has no intention of ever calling???

think pleasant thoughts.....y'all ! Wolfie
 Kazan
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/24/2008 2:09:35 PM
I really didn't know women did this. I guess they think it will hurt your felings to tell you no.
 wolfie34761
Msg: 9
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/24/2008 4:48:15 PM
it's not like i am forcing my info on anyone, i only give it if they ask for it............and if i want to explore the possibilities.......

happy memorial day y'all !!
 DestinyRose
Msg: 10
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:22:50 PM
How about the reverse of this? I know it has happened to me and several other ladies I know on here....the man asks for our phone number and never calls or writes again. What is up with that?
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/24/2008 5:39:34 PM
How about a double reverse, Paula.

Several months ago I was at a dance when a woman said to me, "If I give you my number, will you call me?" While she was fine as a dance partner, I felt no chemistry or physical attraction to her so I was honest and replied, "No, I don't think I would call." Just before the evening ended she came back and put her number in my pocket and said,"Just in case you change your mind." About a month later I saw her again at another function and she asked, "Why didn't you ever call me?" What's up with that?

Just another of those unexplainable life experiences, I guess.
 DestinyRose
Msg: 12
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/25/2008 9:01:41 AM
I guess she just didnt get it , did she? Maybe she was so used to men wanting her, she assumed you were shy? I dont know. Big Ego I guess.
 Nephilim
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/25/2008 3:27:58 PM
I've given women fake names and numbers and information at bars before, basically because I don't want to tell them that I have a good job and tell them about things I do they may enjoy, because I'm just not interested in dealing with the type that approach me sometimes. That or I'm with someone who really is trying to meet someone and I don't want to seem interesting at all.

When I was younger, when I was hanging out with girls, I would tell them that I used women and basically was just an ***hole. The truth was that I was a virgin and looking for the right person, but anytime I would say that, the girls would take it as a personal challenge to try to have sex with me.

People are silly and complicated sometimes.
 Skyliner1001
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/30/2008 7:39:31 AM
My experience is that many women are passive/aggressive. They can't muster the courage to tell a man directly that they are not interested in them, so will give a phone number (often a fake) just to "avoid hurting their feelings."

Fact is, you don't know me well enough to know what hurts my feelings and feigning interest is much more upsetting than honesty.

Worse yet is when you begin talking on the phone or dating someone, and then suddenly they don't respond any more. I wonder what happened!And, of course, I never get an answer. I've suspected that there is a crazed semi-truck driver who seems to know which women I start the dating process with, and deliberately runs them over!

I've come to the conclusion that, despite a profile claiming that they want honesty, many will be dishonest because they don't know how to politely say "No".
 DestinyRose
Msg: 15
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/30/2008 10:22:50 AM
So I f a man isnt interested...Why does he ask for your phone number on pof and say he is going to call you ( to take it to the next step because he really wants to meet you) and then he doesnt call or email again? If if you email and say hello, he wont respond. Why pretend to even be interested writing back and forth and then him ask for the number( not have it volunteered)but then poof he is gone. It is as if a man will ask for your number in order to not speak to you again and add one more number to his growing list to make himself feel good.
That is messed up!

"I will call you this weekend, " and nothing. So either he called someone else first and liked them better or what? In the meantime, the guy will email you everyday of that weekend to say he is going to call but doesnt. Come on guys, unless the girl is desperate, she is going to think you're a liar, player or just an idiot. Never start a relationship of any kind off with a lie, who would ever believe in anything you have to say. Just a waste of time to me!
 Nephilim
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/30/2008 10:48:10 AM
I think that for many instances you hit the nail on the head. If someone just seems to drop off the face of the earth, they found someone they like better and don't have to settle for you. People like that are worthless if you ask me, always jockeying for what they think is "better". What happened to commitment, romance, caring?

If they will let me post it, this is an accurate but sad assessment of the situation. http://www.laddertheory.com or ladder theory dot com.
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 17
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/30/2008 2:18:01 PM
I've said it a 1000 times before and I'll say it again: Be thankful you learned early what kind of person they are!

instead of their last name, put REJECTED in parantheses!

I add those names to a group I have called DNA (do not answer) and the ring tone is from phantom of the opera. My ex wife and former fiance are in there along with a few others.
 DestinyRose
Msg: 18
Why give your number?
Posted: 5/31/2008 11:10:43 AM
Yes I did hit the nail on the head and yes I am thankful I learned early what kind of person they are. Not that it always works, but these are the reasons I have email, phone then meet on my profile. I want to get to know someone a bit before running out to meet them.
 laughinglife
Msg: 19
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:47:56 PM
This has happened to me a few times.Emailing here then the woman gives me her phone # and asks me to call her.Once on a specific night.No answer and no return of message left.I dont get it either but this is Plenty of Fish after all so I gladly move on to find an adult thats not playing games or just socially akward.

It does seem its a woman's perogative to do so,yet when a man does it to a woman he's a jerk.

Peace
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 20
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/2/2008 5:17:04 PM
It does seem its a woman's perogative to do so,yet when a man does it to a woman he's a jerk.

One of a gazillion double standards my friend.

I still prefer 3 or so emails, maybe 1 phone call then meet. No games, no BS. Either you want to meet or you dont. If you are looking for a freaking pen pal, there are sites for that. If you wanna meet, lets do it. If all you want to do is email and you dont want to meet then you have issues I dont want to know about or experience.

I had a lady on here who SWORE she never chatted with anyone and had never been out with anyone. After months of occasional emails She FINALLY gave me her number and asked me to call her. I called. Once. Next day I logged on and there was a mesage from her. I dont know why (little voice) but I checked her profile and saw that she had sent a rose to someone. Now according to her I was the ONLY one she was talking to yada yada yada. I just unread/deleted her email and blocked her butt. I have no time for players, users, liars, idiots or crazies.
 geminidandan
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:45:47 PM
I have found this happens many many times,, she gives you her number, you leave a message, you never here back, orrrrrrrrr she asks for your number because she got burned or had a nutjob bothering her ten years ago and still never calls, The best is always the email that asks you to tell them all about your life in an email . We are all on here for the same thing, to hopefully meet someone that you are compatible with and have a fun dating experience. I even wrote on my profile that I am not into typing back and forth and guess what they still ask for an email all about your life ... Thank God for the ones who like to have a conversation on the phone and if it is meant to be the next meeting is in person... Dan
 Sunscent06
Msg: 22
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/10/2008 3:01:11 PM
When a woman gives you her phone number and doesn't answer after 2 calls she was only being polite to you and didn't want to hurt your feelings by saying "I do not wanna give you my phone number".So quit calling and delite her number.
I have talked to numerous guys and have told them that "I do not believe that we have chemistry and I wish you luck with finding that perfect mate."There is nothing more upsetting than having the dude call and call and leave numerous messages.
If a guy gives me his phone number and I will try to call him couple of times and no answer....he gets deleted ASAP.No time to waste your time on unreliable people.
No reason to push yourself on someone!
 DestinyRose
Msg: 23
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/10/2008 3:19:39 PM
Giving out your phone number and then not answering the phone isnt what I call polite. Sorry, it is leading someone on and then hurting their feelings. Just like if a guy asks for your number, says he will call and then never calls or emails you again. I think it is deceitful and rude, honestly.

If you dont feel you have anything in common and are not attracted to them, why play this game. Just say you arent interested and wish them better luck.
 Skyliner1001
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/10/2008 4:25:51 PM
It is NOT "polite" to give someone a phone number when you have no intention of speaking with them. If you tell someone "No, I don't want to give you my phone number", at least you're being honest. Thinking that you are not hurting his feelings by giving a number can't be justified because you don't know what does or does not hurt someone who you don't know. Feigning interest is much more hurtful (Especially if your profile states that you want "honesty" in a relationship)

The REAL problem is that this type of behavior gives "dating" a bad name and can
make a person think that everyone is like that.
 laughinglife
Msg: 25
Why give your number?
Posted: 6/11/2008 7:07:32 AM
Amen Paula!! Can I have your phone #?
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > Why give your number?