Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does intelligence turn you on?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Does intelligence turn you on?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
it's not easy to be intelligent. you are turned off in mutual fashion by the "intellectuals" and you seek depth to relationships. so some just don't get you. you are what you are. i don't know if you should be fearful of it, but in the long run the question remains as to whether you are able to communicate in some fashion. if not, so be it. but sometimes, remember that mutual ability to be passionate about life is another form of energy that two might be able to share despite different iq's.

ps did this girl write your profile, OP? because it seems pretty intelligent to me...and you say under "first date" that you want her to be intelligent. huh? is this a bit of a game to draw them out, so you can go fishing? nice strategy!
 theforumfiend
Msg: 11
Does intelligence turn you on?
Posted: 5/22/2008 9:28:14 PM
Intelligence is definitely a turn on. I don't mind being in awe when the person knows more than me. Most are willing to teach and share their interests if you let them. The only time I have issues is when the person thinks that being intelligent is a free pass to put people down. Fortunately, I haven't run into much of that.
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2008 10:06:02 PM
Been there done that. Most women I date seem smarter than I. Strange, I know, can't explain it. But they don't know sheet about exotic cars, I got em on that, so that's all I talk about now. But the dating game sucks nowadays for some reason, right guys? Too many intelligent women, not enough exotic cars for 'round $4000. Then I could get a woman with a little less intelligence I bet. One more my speedz.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((( was referring to the 'know it all' kind of intelligence)))
Oh that kind! Yeah, well I know a few things too. Did you know that many anime characters are also available with videos games, some are partially nude. I'm a super nice guy my mom says so why can't I find good females who likes to drink beers and play video games in the nude like my cyber friends. Next time I meet one who thinks she's as smart as she is, I'm gonna tell her to prove it and take an IQ test, and I'll take an STD test to prove I've got something too.
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 2:42:42 AM
Intelligence in a woman is THE major turn on for me. Always had been.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did all the big boob lovers go? Gees, I been on this site for almost 10 years, and today all of a sudden, its intelligent women men want. I give up. I could barely handle their boobs, just one moving part, and now OH OH....That poison gas from outer space has blanketed the earth, and any old divorced middle aged man who just wanted a quick NSA CE, with a college cheerleader (and her mome, sure) is dieing! Is there a farm or somewhere really far away from everything but not so far away its close to something else that I can go to, with the cheerleaders . I'll save them from being passed over by these brainiac fetishists and nuclear scientists that seem to have taken over POF in one day.

Frikin amazing, even to a divorced (who'd a thunked it) testosterone fueled low level borderline moronic smoker perv like me. I'm gonna go look for an "all women are confused lieing fat golddiggers" thread. There was a bunch yesterday, before all this men ar too respectful and like intelligence Hooeey..
 stevelfun
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:24:43 AM
I find intelligence is incrediblly attractive in a woman.

It doesn't have to be 'book' smart. Just having a good head on her shoulders a tremendous asset.
 ________
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/23/2008 5:25:13 AM
No... NOBODY wants anyone who's not dumb as post. To succeed in the dating domain one has to learn and use such key phrases such as "ummmm", "beats me", "oh", "doh" etc.......
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:52:04 PM
OP, I don't mean any disrespect.. but I think you did yourself a disservice by not continuing with that intelligent woman. Now if she hung it over your head.. that is a different story but if she was smart.. and a down to earth person.. yes I think you made a mistake. Intelligent people usually make better lovers.. they are more creative.. and I think they make good mates because they can actually "help" you with your life. Your aim should aways be to "date up".. not "date down".

I like to date intelligent people. Now intelligence comes in many forms.. I know many PhD's who are frankly just idiots.. have no common sense.. I don't view them as intelligent.. My ex was very intelligent but he didn't have a college degree.

I myself have a fair amount of education.. and I have been around academia for years as a student.. and I have to admit that my professors have "rubbed off" on me. They say you become like who you hang with.. and they have greatly influenced my language and vocabulary.

I have been dumped by men who were intimidated because I had a college degree. It was hurtful.. because the only reason I have a college degree is that I wanted to take care of myself better..

Recently I was dating two guys at the same time.. both were engineers.. and I enjoyed it because we could talk science a little bit in our conversations. One even told me that my intelligence was a turn on for him.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:08:59 PM
Ya. But do many other things -- great outlook, sense of fun, belief in causes that I share.

I just noticed that Markus is helping us out: we now have education, vehicles, and income to judge each other on. . . .

Yikes!
 PeterHood
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:14:36 PM
I am just wondering who is going to answer ''no'' to this question
 cotter
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:49:43 PM
I enjoy spending time with smart men.

So cute ... one of the deputies at the jail once told me that he gets "exhausted" when he's out on a date with a really smart woman. LMAO, he said he doesn't enjoy having to be on his toes all evening.

I tried to convince him that intelligent women (well most of them) really don't want anything more than to have a good time on a date. They don't really want to sit around and match IQ's all evening.

Sigh ... I guess I know men who consider it quite a challenge to spend time with intelligent women. I suppose there are men who might consider it a turn on, but wouldn't it maybe be better to say that being intelligent is considered "HOT" ... and not necessarily a turn on?

The man I have loved (high school crush) for over 40 years is not necessarily the best looking man around, but he is very smart, wears the kind of after shave I thoroughly enjoy, shares the same political views as I do, we're both musicians of some sort, and I consider him to be very "HOT".

We've never been in a relationship ... but the thought of it sure is a turn on. For me it's the whole package that can be considered a turn on, not just the "intelligence" part.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:36:59 PM
It's very high up on my list. I prefer someone smarter than me. On the flip side, I hope that he expects me to hold my own. I wouldn't want a guy who wants the air-head type.
 Skydds
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/24/2008 8:55:45 PM
Huge turn-on!

If a girl can go on some insane intelligent rant....

I start to drool...
 ck1time
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2008 8:32:59 PM
Oh, yeah. The brain being the biggest sex organ & all (thanks Heff, U rich perv).
For real, my best loves...well, laugh all the time during warm-up/or just living/sharing...
then B4 sex & after sex...ok, a few times During, but somebody usually falls out of bed or
breaks the bed, or something like that, & that's called "funnynus coitus interrupt-us" , according to the New Sexual Medical Encyclopedia...(oops! forgot that won't be out till next year).
Seriously, I LOVE women smarter than me (Ok, that would be 100% of women, or something). Well, to start with with, they know what they want, they know what I want, & they know how to manipulate me to get what they want, so that I also get what I want.
Lost you, huh? Not really, I know. But that one works. Although, I definitely only prescribe this method for "professional/advanced/mature" would-be trysts/couples.
 RDtoo
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2008 9:32:14 PM
Not so sure if intelligence turns me on or ignorance just turns me off. On the other hand what is intelligence? One of the smartest people I ever met was a 58 year old African-american janitor who had dropped out of school. He couldn't talk about James Joyce's "Ulysses", but he was way more intelligent than most people I've met.

One thing that cracks me up is that alot of women think the silent type man is deep in thought when he is probably just too intimidated to speak. You want to know what the silent type is thinking? This is what is going on in his mind--"Gee, you sure do look purty".
 ck1time
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:40:38 PM
"In Like Flint", became a popular phrase. Dates us late baby-boomers. Flint was the coolest of the Hollywood secret agents. We're grateful for James Coburn, his arthritis battle was not his coolest role.
Batgirl's got her head on right. I'd crack her up. Alas, not allowed to communicate w/ppl
who might please each other. That's life!
 CrazyFunDad
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:07:33 PM

Because I am an uber nerd, I need intelligence to get me going.

You just said that because of all the "talk nerdy to me" posts. lol

I love women that are smarter than me! Of course, they're all smarter than me so that doesn't really narrow it down much.
 TheOneWho_
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:34:11 PM
No, it doesn't "turn me on". However, I find it a very attractive personal trait.

General stupidity in a person leads me to find other places to be... I have a low tolerance for stupid folk, no matter their IQ or level of schooling they have reached.

I have also met some intelligent women who wasted little time in letting me know how smart they were.
This behavior quickly overcame any attraction I may have felt.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/9/2008 3:17:40 PM
Cute, league, real cute!!

Intelligent conversation can be a turn on, for sure!! If it's a topic that we both have a bit to contribute to the discussion...that's how connections, bonds are formed. To have some-know-it-all shove his intelligence down my throat is not a turn on!!!

league, as long as the moon and stars still shine brightly for those lazy summer star-gazing nights, that's enough to keep this girl happy!! Show me where Orion's Belt is, I keep forgetting!
 mthomjmark
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/11/2008 10:50:01 PM
Just a small question --- is it normal for a guy to get intimidated by the intelligence of a girl? I dated this really intelligent girl ... felt a bit intimidated. I know it is kind of old school but I did not want to date her again ... frequency mismatch I suppose. Was it foolish of me?
&&&&&&&&
If there is a woman that is smart but not attractive; no. If its someoen I'm attracted to; yes.
 blondeinny
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/14/2008 3:51:02 PM
Absolutely. Just as much as ignorance turns me off.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:07:25 PM
All women I have met and dated(except my professors or fellow students) have lower level of education than me. But some are very, very smart. Good speech and vocabulary skills. Good knowledge of topics. It takes me stamina not to stumble before their little cute brains!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/14/2008 9:55:50 PM

Just a small question --- is it normal for a guy to get intimidated by the intelligence of a girl? I dated this really intelligent girl ... felt a bit intimidated. I know it is kind of old school but I did not want to date her again ... frequency mismatch I suppose. Was it foolish of me?

~OP~ It wasn't foolish if you weren't comfortable. My question would probably be: Why didn't you love the intellingence? I don't believe old school has much to do with it, rather "No man wants a wife smarter than himself." (I actually heard that from my exhusband, it made me giggle then and now. Silliness!!) Personally, I find that intelligence is not only a major turn it, it's vital. Right next to a killer sense of humor/quick wit. To each their own.
 abelian
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/15/2008 5:12:09 AM
It's definitley a turn on as long as the guy doesn't shove it in my face or be 'matter of fact' 24/7. One can be too intelligent, and then it goes from being hot to being annoying.

So basically, intelligence is not a turn on. What is a turn on is someone who is of approximately the same intelligence. What I get from reading the majority of the replies in this thread is that everyone wants to think of jim/herself as intelligent so he/she claim to be attracted to intelligent people and at the same time reject people who are ``too'' intelligent by characterizing it negatively as arrogance.
 lucilou
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 5:34:01 AM
It's a major turn for me.
Brain + great personality= big major turn on
Body fitness + good looks= big major turn on
Good heart + good attitudes = big major turn on
Faithfulness + honesty= big major turn on
Passion + romantic = execellent love making lol
Money + all the above = are what we all been looking for in a realtionship.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/15/2008 10:11:44 AM
I am incredibly attracted to intelligent men. It's a weakness for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does intelligence turn you on?