Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Did Sex and the City ruin dating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 2
Did Sex and the City ruin dating?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Sounds to me as simply an excuse to act whooped.
 WesternRose
Msg: 9
Did Sex and the City ruin dating?
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:11:28 PM
Can't say I caught an entire episode of the show...but from what I saw it was funny... 4 women with different takes and different outlooks on being single.. dating and even marriage.

Seems that a telly show somehow ruining a man's chances of dating is silly and is really messed up thinking.

The Jackie Gleason show was sexist and Ralph was always threatening to punch Alice out... Tooooooo the Moooooon!!... did it turn women off from getting married to bus drivers and garbage collectors?... did it make women go Lezbanese?

well perhaps the OP and his mates should be dating women who don't have cable......not tainted by the hell bent man-hater characters on the telly.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:13:43 PM
LOL...NO...Sex & The City did not ruin dating, any more than Still Standing or Roaseanne "ruined" family values!

A...it's TELEVISION, people! B...it's only a few (writers) perspectives! C...Did I mention it's only television?! LOL

We are actually making the premiere of the movie (YEAH!) an event...going all out with our faux Manolo Blahnik shoes, dressing to the nines, having some post movie Cosmopolitans, and of course...gabbing with the girls, after...over some sugary snack! LOL

And NO...Carrie should NOT have stuck with Aidan...although he was a great character! LOL
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:18:45 PM
OP, I'm thinking if your buddies are worried about this movie coming out impacting the woman they meet, then they are meeting the wrong women. Don't you get that the characters were caricatures? It was a TV show for frak's sake. I used to watch the show, often found it funny and clever, but never took it seriously or thought there were a multitude of women out there like that. Some yes, but not lots. Most of the time on the show the women were trying to date, and not doing it too successfully, just like lots of men. But hey, it did seem to give rise to the whole "cougar" phenomenon.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:35:23 PM
No, don't worry. Some of us still go for the poor, funny looking ones.
 CherylCake
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:50:19 PM
Well done show. Clever, witty, stylish...and a bag o chips. All the guys were not rich. Highlighted scenarios that could really, or have actually happened. Bravo to Kim Cattrell for portraying a hot older woman so sensually, yet thought like a man.And Barishnikov was a real treat, and a sexy older man.The dynamic of the 4 women was pretty realistic, they had jealosies & spats, but always supportive. Loved their wearing men's undies.Can't wait for the movie!!!
 Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/24/2008 8:19:13 AM
I've never seen it, don't know a thing about it, but if all it takes is to become rich and good looking, how hard is that? I mean if you don't waste your time watching that silly stuff and focused on getting rich, you're there anyways.

Anybody can be anything they want to be unless you just let life pass you by while you just sit there and gape with your jaw wide open. All you catch is the stray bug every once in a while.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/24/2008 4:01:50 PM
LMAO the questions in these forums sometimes kill me. By and large, it was television - people should know the difference between real life and TV/Movies after they're like 16 years old, dont'cha think? I have to agree that some of it was based on actual people, and some of the writers used their dating history to brainstorm about episodes (i.e., "He's Just Not That Into You" from season 6).

I don't believe smart, independent, cool women (and many of them are fans of Sex and the City) that can distinguish reality from fantasy would be affected.

Thank you....my point exactly.
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 2:00:27 AM
No - If anything, this show restored my faith in men. I learned they treat all women like crap and not just me

Okay, okay, kidding. You know what I liked about the show? I saw other women have problems too. It reminded me that I'm not in the battle alone. It was good to see Carrie lose a perfectly good man (Aiden) because she was still damaged by Big. It was great to see Samantha, who I thought had a pretty flat chest, walk around in skimpy shirts without a bra and be proud of it AND be the sex symbol of the show. It was great to see that as annoying as Miranda was most of the time (imo), she could still land a guy.

Ironically, you know what I thought was the worst about the show? You don't just magically run into the people you're dating to talk out problems, but instead in today's internet era you just get cut off and have no contact. I'd love to see SATC in 2008, with internet communication and cell phones playing a larger role. I feel like that's totally changed dating more than anything else.

And Steve was the hottest, I'd love a guy like that haha.
 =buzzsaw=
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:05:15 AM
I don't think one tv show could ruin dating.
 curlygrl
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/26/2008 12:04:26 PM
Not to worry. Most people with any level of intelligence haven't watch the show.

Thank you. I have never watched it- have no idea who they are and I think
Sara -Jessica looks like a tranny and I wont buy her perfume either as I do not
want to "smell" like her or do I use Garnier products.
She is laughing at you all, all the way to the bank. She is a glorified whore
with no acting talent who thinks she knows todays modern woman- todays
modern woman has no time to get laid let alone shop for four hundred dollar shoes.
Thats what the net is for. She is jugling her household, her kids activities and
trying her best to get some sleep. On the rare occasion she has a date
she goes to Macys and buys an outfit on sale.
Oh yeah and she has a real job with real responsibility and accountability.
These shows are bullshit and guys get scared over them. Let me write
a show and put what really goes on for the single woman- its not that.

Its more like dates from hell, cheap wine and shopping at Wal-Mart.
 grizzelda
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:21:37 AM

Oh, and The Man Show is an obvious satire, and again - none of us guys are looking to it as a template for the ideal life in America today.

And woman are doing this with SATC? Do you know any woman that has said that she has modelled her life after this television show? These types of comments really give some insight into how some people really do have very low opinions of the opposite sex.......
 GreenOlivesYum
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:25:38 AM
No, its a TV show based on fictional characters and anyone who attempts to copy 5 fictional women's behavior is not someone you'd want anyway. I love the show and will see the movie but In no way, would I want to act like TV characters or change my behavior because of them.
 celts123
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/27/2008 10:53:20 AM
No. TV shows should be watched for entertainment purposes only. Not to learn any life lessons.
 SueCat51
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 5:03:28 PM
Just being tune into Hollyweird, the media, advertising, etc. can set someone up for unreal expectations. Don't blame this on Sex & the City. That's a scapegoat and a load of crap. Relationships of any kind come down to our expectations, how we perceive people, etc.
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:23:05 PM
"Sex and the City", didn't only ruin dating it ruined society as a whole!!!!!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/29/2008 12:09:24 PM

Aiden Shaw was like that? Steve Brady was like that?
I remember both of them were pretty darn decent to their women, and got handed a lot of crap for it. One was cheated on and thankfully walked. The other was more cast aside until he owned his own business and now was seen as "worthy".

As an avid fan of the show (and a proud owner of the series) I don't live by it - but it did remind me at times of past dates and friendships I've had in my life. Anywho, Aiden didn't leave Carrie for cheating the second time; he pushed her to get married out of mistrust...and I can't say either character was totally innocent in the end. Maybe Carrie never wanted marriage, maybe she needed time, but he didn't care to find out. There's an argument to be made both ways. Steve wasn't cast aside by Miranda so much as the two of them had different lifestyles and goals at that time, which they had from the beginning; so I wouldn't say he wasn't worthy until he (and Aidan) opened that bar, I'd say his work ethic matched Miranda's more and having a child together may have been a time to regroup. To be honest, Miranda's character was fine with the difference in income, etc - it was Steve who had a hard time with it.

There are TONS of Aiden Shaws and Steve Bradys out there in the real world...and many of them face these same dilemmas. Many of them are also getting the message that if they become a "Mr Big" then they can do anything they want and have women fighting to get them.

I honestly never saw "Big" as more than Carrie's issue - I don't see that dynamic or that type of man standard for all women - I think Carrie in particular was drawn to his mystery...liked the push/pull, etc etc. If you notice her friends didn't exactly have that same mindset, or that same type of guy...it was mostly Carrie. Some say Carrie's one side of all women, some say Carrie is one type of woman, depends who you ask. But generally I feel all men are "Big" to some women, "Aidan" to other women, and "Steve" to still other women. Everyone likes someone different...

2) Older women whom many might call "cougars". They maybe never found Mr Right, or ended up in divorce, so now they don't see value in it all and want to prioritize on themselves. They have careers, money, and are single...so they want to seek out a young piece of meat to feast on and hit up the hot spots as well as be the woman the soccer moms secretly envy.

Sounds good to me...oh wait, I'm 40....maybe that's why.

I think too many men out there see SATC and believe it's telling women to be shallow snobs who will only pursue the tiny percentile of actual alpha males on the planet. The men should more chuckle at the show and give a "tsk tsk" to the women who actually try to model their lives off those characters. Any woman who really thinks Charlotte, Samantha, Miranda, and Carrie are role models seriously needs to get a clue.

Now THAT I agree with...I don't think those characters are to be modeled, rather I think they are a comedic look at women out there dating....sort of the reverse.

True - and oddly enough, as I mentioned before, a similar formula (the "discussion in the round") was used on The Mary Tyler Moore show 30 years ago. 'cept without all the naughty words. Oh, how far we've come.

The swearing is more fun - and more realistic (it's not censored by the FCC, either).
 TheLimey
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2008 2:57:57 PM
Try watching the Brit series "Coupling"....
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/29/2008 3:22:27 PM
grkboy is right the show has ruined dating. Created a climate for sex being viewed just like an afternoon game of golf. He right about women under 25 view this as the way relationships should be. This is the new generation of independent women. I'm met a lot of women that grkboy described that are into meaningless relationship and Mr.Bigs. This whole city is full of them. Sometimes I think "Sex in the City" is the story of women from Winnipeg. That why if you look through the pages of Winnipeg women under 25 most are single moms that have never been married, or ones looking for Mr. Bigs.

I ain't putting up with it. A friend of mine said about the show he was hoping the redhead would get AIDS.

The problem is our society has embraced casual sex like a couple rounds after work with your buddies and love doesn't mean anything anymore. Many confuse sex with love and that's the real basis for majority of relation problems in our society. Before you have sex with someone you need to build a relationship built on respect, love, support for each other.

And for the Mary Tyler Moore show, those people were married, different ballgame then.

No casual sex for me. The tramps and the golddiggers can find another address. Until I get commitment from a woman, she has a better chance getting abducted by aliens, then having sex with me. I've had sex a handfull of times over the past 15 years and that woman was lying to me.

Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/29/2008 3:32:24 PM
Um...I doubt it, but Video killed the radio star.

Dating is fine...what I think killed some possible relationships is the idea (as witnessed in some of these forums) that we believe the "next person" will be better. Not willing to give a person a chance due to some stupid "red flag" criteria. Spending way too much time here listening to advice given by bitter people with more baggage than a jumbo jet who have constantly FAILED at relationships. Makes no sense. Really a good idea to listen less to people here and listen more to those who actually know you.
Anywho...I bet it's probably going to be a fairly well received movie.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/29/2008 4:51:23 PM

Anywho...I bet it's probably going to be a fairly well received movie.

It will be by me! I don't want to stand in line for ever tomorrow night, so I'll be there for the matinee tomorrow (and then Strangers right after, to level things off). : )
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/30/2008 5:42:33 AM
Sorry wonkabar...I was mixing up "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" with the "Dick Van Dyke Show". Now****Van Dyke that was good wholesome TV. ****Van Dyke is probably why I've been single for 15 years cause I'm looking for a women like Mrs. Van Dyke. "Family Affair', "My Three Sons", real good TV. Why don't they put some real down to Earth, really what America is supposed to be about shows on TV, instead of dirty rotten shows like SITC? We need some positive roles models again in out society like the Van Dykes.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/30/2008 5:47:25 AM
Ya know, as strange as it might seem, some of us have never seen an episode of Sex in the City .

Some of us rarely or never watch TV.
 TheLimey
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2008 8:53:20 AM
Claiming that being single for 15 years is a result of watching the Van Dyke show is the funniest, most absurd thing I've ever read on this msg board (outside of the religion & bigotry forum)
 mthomjmark
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/30/2008 2:05:20 PM
Your buddy is totally wrong in my opinion.

First of all sex in the city is such a fantasy its ridiculous. Those women are not that attractive and they range from their early 40's to Kim Cattrell who is now 52.

They are portrayed as wealthy yuppie white women who pretty much seem to rarely be working.

Every great looking guys in their 20's want them, and they end up rejecting some as if they have their pick of the litter. I am not attracted to them now so If I'm in my 20's I want a hot young girl, not a high maintenance mental 40 y/o woman.

If a woman is so obsessed with this show that they act like these women and think its real life, well you steer clear of them. It's like much of tv. fake.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Did Sex and the City ruin dating?