Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Don't you Google your dates?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 3
Don't you Google your dates?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I normally met someone first before I tell them my last name. I tried to google myself and didnt exist :(

Personally if someone is a con artist there isnt alot you will be able to do to find out...they will always have the answers to questions you havent thought to ask...so rather than insult everyone I assume what someone is telling me is the truth until I start seeing actions that dont exactly match up, for instance... if they say they are very successful but drive a 10 year old gas guzzler that is falling apart then you have to think...maybe the self employed business he has is EBAY! (No offense to any ebayers out there intended).

I have found if you give them enough rope and enough time they usually will trip themselves up if they are dishonest...they start to push for more quickly ...want a committment before you even know much about them.. then they do the lame I was so overwhelmed by you and wanted you to like me I told you that to impress you...don't they realize how unimpress you will be when you find out the truth!

But if someone was really slick couldnt they just make an online personality and it would be something you would find on google? Doesnt most of the information come from information that is volunteered at one point?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
Don't you Google your dates?
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:58:18 PM
I google dates, usually; but then I pretty much google everything, lol! I *love* google! Imagine a free Britannica at your fingertips -- who could ask for more?

If I'm feeling real uncomfortable about someone, I'll do Zaba. Never had to do a background search.

Curiosity and paranoia are NOT the same impulse. At all.

nexthyme
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:14:01 PM
LOL Saphireeyes.
I tried to google myself and didnt exist

LOL, I don't exist either... However there apparently is a singer that has my name, and dang I haven't heard of her...

For shyts and giggles I have googled one guy, and this was after we had met, not that I was expecting to find him any more than I can find myself, but just because his name was on a piece of paper, and I was bored... Anyway, he didn't lie about going to school to build guitars, wow what a relief that was....

Seriously though, I have seen dating advice that states to google your date, unless they are someone famous or a very well known criminal there generally isn't anything a person can find out...At least that has been my experience.

OP, if you feel the need or desire to google a person, I wouldn't tell them you did, simply because some people feel like you are trying to get into their PUBLIC KNOWN, private information...

Seems it falls under a dating 101 do not mention...
 badHorsey
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:12:47 AM

If I find out someone has Googled me I will dump her so fast her head will spin. I have to agree that it is a sign of psycho behavior.

lmfao! Dumping because of Googling? Who has psycho behaviour?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:25:05 AM

Besides.....a good relationship starts with learning to trust each other. If you have to Google someone......you have a hard time trusting anyone and shouldn't be looking for a date.

If anyone has a trust issue, my friend, it's you. Get a mirror, look in it, and you'll see the majik words: one psycho broad who knows how to google means: ONE PSYCHO BROAD WHO KNOWS HOW TO GOOGLE. Key: don't learn more from an experience than is there to learn. A cat burned on a hot stove will never sit on a stove again. Not even a cold one, in front of a window. . . .

Good luck with your attitude adjustment, Mr Easygoing. . . .

Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:29:23 AM
My psycho ex-g/f googled me. But she took it a step further. As someone who used to work (now unemployed mind you) for a real estate developer, she looked up my property info (I guess public record although I'm not sure) and found about what I paid for it, that I owned it, etc. I have written technical papers and participate in several conferences a year and other speaking venues so it's easy to find me on the internet but I have to say I thought it was a little creepy. It feels like someone is stalking you and at worse, it puts a strain on the whole trust issue. Eventually she did more and more psycho things that in aggregate caused me to break it off with her. It turns out she was not very trustworthy or stable but I gave her the benefit of the doubt for quite a while.
 Randominternetguy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:33:39 AM
I used to, but stopped because I was too successful. I would google women that just had interesting profiles, to see what I could find. It was more for the challenge of it.

I stopped because I did see one woman who looked interesting, and had some unusual notes in her profile. I ended up with her phone number, address, where she worked, the last promotion she got, etc. At that point, I felt awkward about contacting her because I knew too much about her life.

If you are worried about what people might find about you, don't just google your real name, google any username someone might know. Many people use the same username across many sites, and it can be quite eye-opening what other sites someone may be a member of. In some cases, googling gave me hits for women on gastric banding/bypassing sites, adult sites, vampire sites, mechanic sites, gardening sites, etc.

If you have a particular phrase or saying in more than one profile, that can show up too. Anyway, I stopped doing that for my own sanity.

Bob
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 22
Don't you Goggle your dates?
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:33:58 AM
I don't goggle anything. Those guys are evil. Like Tracebook.
I will use other search engines though, that don't keep track of my search history.
And yes, I'll check you out, especially if my spidey senses are tingling.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/24/2008 10:55:54 AM
I mentioned this to a friend and she is a Dr. and married to a college professor...said when they met it was by friends introducing them (wow what an concept!).

She told me how her now husband and her talked by messages for a bit cause he was overseas for that summer but then one day he said something she had never told him about. He was so busted and he admitted he googled her, and she admitted back to him that she had googled him..so it worked out but I can see where it would be a problem if you mention to someone something they hadnt told you. They both felt since they were very successful prominent people they had a need to protect themselves...I sorta wonder if they did it to make sure the other person would show up...didnt want a nobody!
 southokguy
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:08:49 PM
For people who seem to have no issue with putting their profile up on the internet for the world too see, there seem to be a lot who have an issue with something as day to day nowadays as googling. It's usually just curiousity, and if it's not it's simply another method available nowadays to acquire trust for the other party, if you were meeting someone in real life rather than using a dating site, they would likely ask friends and others that they know more about you before going out with you, it is no different and no less acceptable and anyone who has a problem with it likely has deeper issues that they need to resolve.
 SandyB1957
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/24/2008 1:16:37 PM
Okay im dumb how do you google someone??/
 nexthyme
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2008 3:17:32 PM
Spanish lover

(now unemployed mind you) for a real estate developer, she looked up my property info (I guess public record although I'm not sure)

Yes it is very legal to do a property search, and it is completely public record... As is marriage, divorce, and any convictions...

The property records are easier to obtain for free than marriage or divorce, those aren't all available on the internet for free, however if a person is a sex offender, most jurisdictions have those on the net as well for free.

I only know this because I am a legal studies student and as an assignment had to look up the property I was living in... I felt like it was a violation of privacy of my landlord to be honest.

As stated before, for a LARK and I told the person I googled their name, not because I was looking to see if they were a nut case, but rather just to see if I could actually find anyone I knew by googling them. LOL, He thought it was pretty cool to know he could be found for what he loved to do.

OF COURSE if I were sooooo curious I know how to locate loads of info on a person, however I have never been inclined to do that to anyone I went on a date on, or was dating, simply because I have enough sense about a person as to whether I would really want to associate with them or not...
 xzenobia
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/24/2008 11:49:56 PM
I google myself.....there was all this GREAT stuff ...now..I do it all the time...It's addictive. I found I'd won three awards ...one was an award I thought I didn't get ..I had gotten upset over not getting it and then I googled.
Lo and behold Found a literary work of mine had been staged by a college in the midwest...dint see any royalties... but whatever....found another work was being used with music... sold and marketed..w/out my and the publisher's permission..was taken off the market as quick as was found ..ha!...
yah!......Google is a old friend now......

oh..this was about dates?
 vivaciousvixen2
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/25/2008 1:05:30 PM
I am trying to google somebody to see if he has a wife in canada. i know that he is married in america. he is from the uk (british citizen) and the woman that he is living with is canadian. her name is unknown. does anybody know how to find this out?
i have tried paid sites also. they come up with nothing.
 nexthyme
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:11:18 PM
Ahhh Vivaciousvixen, thus is the limit to these searches... You have to know where the two got married. She is Canadian, but that doesn't mean she didn't marry some place else with him. If he is living with a Canadian woman could this be the woman in questions...

Better yet, what does it really matter, if he is either married, and living with someone why would he be of interest to you?

Remember not all "marriages" are actually filed, so there for he could have ben united in a civil ceremony, but that does NOT make him actually married in the eyes of American law...
 BizDevEng
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/26/2008 2:16:55 AM
It’s an absolute must to do a quick Google once you have first and last name, it’s tradition!!! I usually have my best friend do it as I know he will be very through and would enjoy the laugh should he find Jane use to John…LOL.

I guess as I got seriously involved with an internet woman I would do the full background both criminal/financial, this one I might not outsource.
 simmering59
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/28/2008 12:37:57 PM
One time I did a reverse look up on a man's house phone. Turns out he gave me a false name and he was married. When I called him out on it, his response was thanks for the update.Yes there are some low life creeps out there but that doesn't mean every1 is.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:27:57 AM
If you think you will find correct records online from someone you meet at a dating site, you are dead wrong. First, according probability , the chances of your searched person's name being wrong is 3 to 10(unless you have his/her birth certificate or Social Security card on hand!). Second, you might find several individuals with the same name, similar information, and even in a same city!

Security agencies and police departments find accurate profiles but they have the actual individual's records on file, not like just someone going to Google trying to search the life of Speedy Gonzalez 69.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/2/2008 11:19:47 AM
Google will not make you any safer meeting strangers
 Urbanessa
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/2/2008 11:22:49 AM
Well, I have never googled potential dates neither do I employ any other kind of investigation even though my profession has taught and enables me to find out a lot of stuff about people that's not easy to access. - But I trust in my common sense enough to tell the rotten apples from the decent lot... And what is a date and a potential relationship worth that starts with throwing the idea of trusting in each other over board in the very beginning and starts with snooping around behind people's back?
 Guy4theForums
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/2/2008 2:41:19 PM
I don't google anyone. I don't really care a whole lot about someone's past.As long as people treat me good who cares what they did or didn't do 50 years ago. I have some total outlaws for customers .Some probly have a rap sheet taller than me and they seem like the best kind of people to talk to.Most of all they tend to pay their bills and pay cash an never complain about anything.
Then on the other side of the table I have some customers that go to church a couple times a week and have good jobs and kind of the upper crust kind of people. Haaaaaaaa it's impossible to get the upper crust to pay their bills. Loan the upper crust a driver and they bring it back with the gas tank empty. Loan an outlaw the same car and it might have a quarter tank more than it had when it drove out of here.
After all,Google back ground checks is info the government,city officials,cops wrote in a report. They write it anyway they like depending on if they like you or not on how it looks.
 Willsniffurundies
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:52:34 PM
I have never done it.
However, I was going to marry a millionaress once and her father had me investigated.
Lng story short--Daddy did not find much BUT the minute he found out his daughter was going to move here (America) he told her that she would be disowned.
The woman was also told by her adult daughter if you dicorce dad for that American I will never speak to you again.
Her hubby found out and threw himself at her feet and cried and begged for a second chance.
I could not move there because I have kids HERE and do not have custody over any of them.
So we broke it off for the sake of everyone else.
At times when someone who does not even really know me--like here online--ignores me or dismisses me it is nice to know that a woman who HAS everything wanted ME!!
(I am kind of annoyed with myself that I did not let her spend a lot of money on me buying me stuff though. . .really could have used a new computer for sure!)
 EagleEric
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:53:41 AM
You're not likely to find out how crazy they are until you get involved with them.

The Eagle
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/6/2008 9:20:56 AM
Well...I usually don't even try to google her until we've been dating for a while.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 111
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:00:09 AM
I do but love takes time. We live in a society where background checks have replaced getting to know someone. No one wants to put in the time. We get to know people by seeing how they act, how they are and in time meeting friends and family.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Don't you Google your dates?