Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > A awesome/great band or singer/songwriter that you might not have hea      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 3
view profile
History
A awesome/great band or singer/songwriter that you might not have heard ofPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
As far as metal, check out Freak Kitchen, absolutely amazing band with Mathias Eklundh (spelling?) who is now somewhat of a guitar god through his solo albums on Steve Vai's Favored Nations label.

Also Locomotive Breath who are Janne Stark's band (ex-Overdrive guitarist--another great 80's band worth discovering). Amazing band.

Mercury Rising are (were?) also a great metal band bordering on Rush styled prog-rock but a bit on the heavier side.

Everyone who hears these three instantly are amazed they have never heard of them and usually ask me to "supply" them with copies. So I guess they are worth mentioning here.
 Opusvoid
Msg: 4
view profile
History
A awesome/great band or singer/songwriter that you might not have heard of
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:44:26 AM
For the rock genre I only have one band I can think of. King's X. They are truly amazing and they were the very first band to play all their music in dropped tuning.

For the hard rock genre I only have one band. Thrice. They really challenge me and they just make good music, period.

For the metal genre I have a few. Pain Of Salvation, Mirrorthrone, Quo Vadis, Extol, DaliĀ“s Dilemma.
 Opusvoid
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 1:36:16 PM
Sped21 -

Saying those three weren't very good choices. Coheed & Cambria are pretty damn famous and so are Moneed. Protest was an ok choice, but they're getting pretty well known! by Protest's next album, they'll have worldwide succsess, garanteed!
 gregorywb
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2008 7:12:23 PM
Instrumental/Math Rock - Battles, El Ten Eleven, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai

Electronic - Boards of Canada, Trentemoller, Ulrich Schnauss, Sinewave

New Age - Deuter, Amethystium
 kenpoboy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 12:08:07 PM
Dating myself badly here, but if you have never heard the Bill Bruford 1973-4 era King Crimson (especially the live box set), you haven't heard everything. Powerful, warped music.

Ronald Shannon Jackson

Jean Luc Ponty

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Henry Cow - very weird stuff!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > A awesome/great band or singer/songwriter that you might not have heard of