Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What is the difference maker for you with profiles?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerocks
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What is the difference maker for you with profiles?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I used to have an in depth, well written profile...But whats the point?...I live down here in "paradise" (south florida) ...Where it seems most local women are shallow, uppity whores looking for their next free dinner...They want a rich, tall, dark haired guy with a harley...Amazes the shit outta me...I've been here for over 2 years and have NEVER received a message from any woman...So i just come here to look at these forums...Maybe one day i will find a decent, honest, caring, loving woman that is happy just to be in love with me...Seems so simple...THE SEARCH CONTINUES
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 5
What is the difference maker for you with profiles?
Posted: 10/1/2008 11:49:21 AM
I'm a writer and a communicator.
An individual's ability to do either or both with words is essential for me.
More so than looks.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/1/2008 12:17:30 PM

If a woman doesn't like your looks it won't mean sweet diddly squat

I love it when men really KNOW what it is a woman thinks and feels, and then boldly tells all of us that!

Especially if we women, are too immature, ignorant, or conniving to know for ourselves.

Pretty boys lacking intelligence are as desireable as old men with money.

Lee Travino -"No matter how good she looks - she is someone else's pain in the azz!"

This works both ways.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/1/2008 2:39:20 PM
The photo is the first cut. If I like the photo I read further. If I do not, I do not bother to read further. After all, I am looking for a romantic partner, not necessarily a brilliant essayist.

In my 20's if someone offered to set me up and started telling me what a wonderful personality a potential date had I knew the woman was not for me. If the person told me what she looked like first and I liked what I heard I would listen further.
 jackster121
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 5:30:35 PM
Someone who doesn't use the "list', i.e. walking on the beach, cuddling on the couch, long walks in the park, etc.
Also someone who has more positive than negative. I read a profile earlier, a very attractive redhead whose whole profile was what you shoudn't and what she won't tolerate. EGAD! You'd have to be a glutton for punishment to email her.
 tom42149
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:04:38 PM
I purposely attempted to make my profile a humorous reead. Didn't help a bit. I have gotten a few messages from women completementing my humor, but dates, damn few! Tom
 Xcen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:33:43 PM
Hmmm,,,this post originated in May, wonder where it has languished so long?

Ummm Purple Rocks:
If a well written piece, short , to-the-point, very clear in imagery is the clue to success then your reply should have you being pursued by tons of eloquence-seeking ladies.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:38:15 PM

If a woman doesn't like your looks it won't mean sweet diddly squat what's written in your profile.

That is indeed the case for me. If the guy looks completely unattractive to me it stops there. Yeah, sue me. Anybody who says looks don't matter at all should consider themselves fortunate that they have so many more options available to them.

BUT a really funny profile can make an average-looking guy a lot more attractive to me. In fact, that's ideally the guy I'd like to find- really smart and funny with average looks. I prefer at least a couple of paragraphs but I've seen a few that managed to convey humor and intelligence in just a couple of sentences. If it's long, it has to be an entertaining read with the spelling and grammar cleaned up or else it won't hold my attention past the second paragraph.
 LadyEdenMO
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:45:46 PM
Of course you notice the picture, or lack of, first. If I don't find them unappealing, outside of a reasonable range of my age - I read.

Absolutly not interested in blank or generic profiles - gives you nothing to work with nor the incentive to "dig" for any, no matter how appealing they might look.
The negative profiles and/or those with a long laundry list especially if focused on physical attributes I'll pass on.
By the same token, those that provide some idea of what they're looking for that matches me and share enough about themself of interest, I'm more inclined to write a brief note.
Displaying a sense of humour, wit, that clicks with me will usually (after all the above) get a well done, a guestion about something of interest in their profile or a nice to see another who ____, brief email.
As a smoker (yet) and social drinker, unless a non-smoker and/or non-drinker indicates they are OK with it - or I just want to make a comment, I'll pass.
 Closing Shop
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/1/2008 11:21:55 PM

Most people couldn't care less about profile content, its all about the picture.

Actually, out of 27 responses, only one message (#13) said it's all about the pictures. Some said the pictures don't matter while most said the pictures are a *starting* point. So consider the pictures as the admission test while the profile decides whether you pass or fail.

I would contact someone with "i'm a serial killer looking for my next victim" written in their profile

Funny you should say that because the only guy I've contacted on this site had "professional killer" listed as his occupation. I guess "Dexter" has made serial killers quite the hot dating commodity.
 Be_Cause_We_Can
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/2/2008 4:33:51 AM
Having had some very long and detailed profiles and some very short and generic ones I would say that the shorter profile wins every time. Smart people can tell with one sentence if you can write or not and don't need a life story to understand the gist of you.

When I had a LONG LONG AND REVEALING profile all it did was generate hate mail..."why can't you just say what's important?"....and "who's going to read this!"

It's just like marketing....shorter, vaguer, introductions are the most effective. Dating is marketing...believe it.
 L80nw8ng
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 10:22:01 AM
Ok, for me, it goes in this order (pretty much)

#1!! PHOTOS: no, photos dont carry more weight than the profile, its just the first "obstacle" or "test". I LAUGH HYSTERICALLY at the guys who say people only respond to the good-looking photos. Physical attractiveness is soooo very very subjective. My friends and I compare, and I can tell you that there are fellas that I find totally hot and my friends just respond with a bizarre "what have you been smoking?" look.

And if I bypass a profile of someone im not physically attracted to I HAVE DONE THAT PERSON A FAVOR - otherwise they would more than likely end up in a sexless relationship with me - and who wants that? So THANK ME for being so "shallow" and only responding to persons that i feel i could have a healthy sexlife with if things should go in that direction.

#2 - the PROFILE:

First i check if the drinking/smoking/religion are all acceptable. If some guy posts that he's Southern Baptist and goes to church 3x week... I will bypass him NO MATTER HOW HOT HE IS!! (again, doing him a favor, since I'm agnostic, so thank me!!) (see, photos do not carry more weight than the profile)

If the profile is rather skinny, it doesnt give me anything to talk about to even bother sending an email. So I dont.

Also, something needs to be in there that reflects his personality, whether by words OR by photos. I will also bypass any that does not reflect intelligence/maturity; whines about past relationships and how dating is unfair...lol;

A HINT: many women are not pursuers... and wont contact a man first.
 Pecator
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 12:27:41 PM
It all depends on what you want from this site

I like the community. I really enjoy profiles. Unlike other sites, you have to try to convey who you are through words, not gimmicks. Here you have only words with which to craft. I like to read profiles without even considering attraction. I read profiles of women geographically impossible. I read profiles of women whose age group is too far in one direction or the other. I even read other male profiles. Reading profiles is most of the fun

Now, when I make a contact, it is because of the whole product.

While L80nw8ng is right on the money, I have to admit I have passed on women whose pics are very clearly attractive to me solely on the content of their profile. And, I have gotten to know other women, whose pictures were less clear, simply because their profile was so attractive.

Hmmm, go figure
 Pecator
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2008 6:21:44 PM
It all depends on what you want from this site

I like the community. I really enjoy profiles. Unlike other sites, you have to try to convey who you are through words, not gimmicks. Here you have only words with which to craft. I like to read profiles without even considering attraction. I read profiles of women geographically impossible. I read profiles of women whose age group is too far in one direction or the other. I even read other male profiles. Reading profiles is most of the fun

Now, when I make a contact, it is because of the whole product.

While L80nw8ng is right on the money, I have to admit I have passed on women whose pics are very clearly attractive to me solely on the content of their profile. And, I have gotten to know other women, whose pictures were less clear, simply because their profile was so attractive.

Hmmm, go figure
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What is the difference maker for you with profiles?