Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > False Teeth ........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 3
view profile
History
False Teeth ........Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If he was wearing them when you first met him and then suddenly wasn't, there could be several reasons for it. He may have misplaced them, they may have broken, they may not fit correctly and may be making his mouth sore, or any number of other things. He also may not have the finances to deal with whatever the problem is. Chances are, he may be just as embarrassed about it too but because you didn't say anything, he may not think it matters to you.

Obviously it does, so I'd suggest bringing it up lightly and talking to him about it. You've said he's good in so many other ways so this may just be something he can't bring up himself and has a reasonable explanation for. If you want to continue dating him and think all his other qualities are good, give him a chance to explain and go from there. It may be something temporary and your problem will soon be solved.

Edit: I was typing while you posted your second comments and didn't see the post until mine posted. Now I have to rethink this response based on what you've just written.

My first thoughts though are that people change physically all through life and none of us will be exempt from that! If we like others for who they are on the inside, those outside changes shouldn't matter. If a change in outside appearance alters how you feel about this person now, than your feelings more than likely weren't genuine in the first place.

If someone I truly love lost a body part, I'd love them the same...just as I'd hope they'd continue to love me when I change or God forbid have an accident that changes my physical appearance somehow.
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:20:21 PM
Ok this reminds me of my bare foot guy.. that I met on another site. Nice fellow.. seemingly had his act together.. never married (now I know why).. We talked off and on for a couple of months.. he was in another state then we set up a date for him to fly to nearby city to spend the day with me.

Three days before the "date" he calls me and says he has a question to ask me.. he says that where he lives in Florida that he never wears shoes and that shoes are uncomfortable for him.. so he wanted to know if it would offend me if he arrived at the airport barefoot. Now this was before 9/11.. way before. He made it plain to me that he would be spending the day with me barefoot and the city we were going to be in was Memphis.. not Ft. Lauderdale..

I am sorry that grossed me out... first of all the grime and the filth on the street plus crack pipes.. razor blades.. needles.. eeeek..

I told him that I would mind.. and we didn't see one another..

I am sorry on a first meet we need to put our best foot forward if this was his best foot.. (excuse the pun) I'd hate to see him at his worst..

So no bottom teeth..No way!! Also, I wonder why he has no bottom teeth.. that explanation in itself could prove fatal to an attraction.
 Rythmn
Msg: 5
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:22:41 PM
i had this problem with my first husband when in my twenties. his were knocked out in football. when we got married , he'd stop wearing them and i got very turned off. we took it to therapy and she confronted him with his "infantile" needs, whereas to me in my 20's i got the feeling of his being an old man and not a baby.

she explained fairly objectively to him, that it was a turn off to me, it wasn't a question of my being a bad person. if i wore curlers to bed or didn't shave my legs, that would have been a turn off to him. so..... he would have to deal with it or have a turned off wife.

the sad part about "teeth" is the affordability issue and the fact that people do not "demand" that their dentists construct them properly. i have several times with people in my life who i cared about, laid out the money for their teeth.

it is what it is. lots of men get worried over my lymes disease. we've all got something and we all have our preferences. to me, teeth are important. however, i overlook other things that bother other people.

you have a right to your preferences and i am guessing that this will only get to be worse for you, if you are only dating and he has not been willing to discuss/deal with it.
 Nesaia
Msg: 6
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:48:25 PM
I once read a study that said people with false teeth have better sex.

I still think it's kind of gross. When I'm 80, ok. At my age, I'd rather date somebody with teeth.
 Guy4theForums
Msg: 7
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/26/2008 9:22:05 PM
I would say that the guys not trying too hard to impress you. What are you going to do if you end up getting serious with this guy and then he decides to go with no teeth at all?
 saggy ass and saggy tits
Msg: 8
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 6:56:37 AM
i have no theet so it would not be a problem for me
 Nesaia
Msg: 10
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 9:05:34 AM

I sit back and really wonder about all the things people get all uptight about.
Perfect little people in perfect little worlds... no room for any deformities... it's all "ewww" to them.
Then one day their own child gets in an accident, and they are forced to look upon a little face that is now deformed.
Know what they learn?
They learn that LIFE is what matters... not a straight nose and seeing eyes and perfect teeth.
They learn how to transfer that understanding to everyone they meet...
and never again do they think "ewwww" about something as silly as dentures....
or something as serious as a totally deformed body.
They learn how to love... LOVE..... all humans, no matter how they look.

Now some will say back to me, "but we don't have to date them, everyone has the right to have 'preferences'".
True.
But dang it, you can still show human love and not get all full of "ewww" and that "I'm better than that" attitude.

That's a bit over the top. Anything can happen to anyone's kid, but I don't give birth to my boyfriends. You're right, life does matter. It's the only life I've got. You enjoy yours the way you want and I enoy mine the way I want. We can love all humans, but we don't have to be in love with them, for the sake of not being shallow.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 11
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 1:23:41 PM
Gosh, just so much perfection flying around here. I kin hardly breathe. . . .

Ah, to be so young and innocent, lol! The kids in my family of origin come with two kinds of teeth: my father's or my mother's. He died at fifty-five with all of his teeth and not one cavity. She had all her teeth pulled at age 36. . . . And suffered with ill fitting hurting false teeth that caused ulcers and sores for almost fifty more years. Those that got my dad's teeth, don't have to brush or floss or do one damned thing, the teeth and gums stay healthy, with no problem. Those that got my mom's teeth start having problems at about four years old. My youngest son had, according to our dentist: teeth like chalk. No amount of brushing, flossing, fluoride treatment or prayer changed one damned thing. We're beginning to see the lines of inheritance showing up in the grand children.

What makes it worse, is the aura of perfection, no, *virtue*, that those born with no problems take concerning those born with them. . . . Those born with less than perfect teeth get to have drilling, shots, extra cleanings, abscesses, gum surgery, root canals, caps and crowns ~~ all the while being judged by those who never had a single problem or hour of pain. . . . Just a word of caution here: the laws of karma work wonderfully well, if excruciatingly slowly -- I'd be VERY careful what kind of smug judgmentalism I put out there. . . .

Good luck. . . .

Nesaia
Msg: 12
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:05:06 PM

Gosh, just so much perfection flying around here. I kin hardly breathe. . . .

Yes, I'm sure your attractions are completely and utterly indiscriminate. More people should be like you. You must have quite a mutual admiration network going on at the local pub.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 13
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:05:24 PM
The reason he sometimes doesn't wear his bottom teeth is because they are making his mouth hurt(They can make your mouth hurt a lot. . I think you are being very shallow and for his sake, please stop seeing him so he can have the hope of finding a woman that will like him for him, and not worry about his dentures.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 14
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:42:39 PM
For those of you who associate false teeth with poor hygiene, made comments like ewwwww or gross and I'd never date anyone with dentures, or think that because you always take care of your teeth you'll always have them, here are some things to think about that may help you show more compassion instead of thinking your day will never come.

Taking care of your teeth isn't a guarantee that you'll have them forever. False teeth may be necessary for many reasons. It could be due to accidents, poor genes, or as a result of treatments for other ailments. Recently my ex was diagnosed with cancer of the throat and lymph nodes. Before treatment they had to determine if they wanted to pull all of his teeth. Bad enough to have his life threatened with cancer but to have his appearance threatened when he pulled through it was just another heartache.

The thing everyone should realize is that no one on here is exempt from it happening to them. Your teeth could be here today, and gone tomorrow regardless of how many times a day you brush and floss or how well they appear to be right now. Hopefully you'll all be with someone who understands that accidents can happen at any time and/or that there is no escape from the aging process or the many illnesses we face as time goes by. It may be loss of hair, teeth, shapes rounding out, hearing loss, sight going or any number of other things we'll all have to face someday. Therefore I'll not be quick to judge anyone who's less than perfect to others because I don't want anyone to judge me someday based on what I have or no longer have, and what no longer looks like it did when I was 25! But hey...at least with age came wisdom!

The other thing to remember is that most of the things I mentioned can be remedied with modern techniques. What would be important to me is that they cared enough about their loss or change to do something about it that they felt would improve their appearance and/or health and not that they lost something they may or may not have had control over.
*Note please that I'm not referring to those who just don't care about their appearance but rather stating that there are other circumstances beyond one's control that we need to have compassion for especially if we don't really know why something is the way it is.

Babyski, if you no longer have feelings, as I said in my previous post...chances are you never did. Not true feelings anyway. I would sure hate to think that someone with a great disposition and qualities would be overlooked by anyone because they were dealt a bad card in life as he may have been. There must be other aspects of the person too that you aren't attracted to because as you pointed out you stayed with him after knowing about the dentures in the first place. Sometimes as relationships go on we see other things that bother us that we didn't notice before so maybe it's an accumulation of other things as well that you noticed over the 4 month period.

Nevertheless, if the feelings aren't there then by all means I think you should end it. After doing so though I think you really need to examine what it is you're looking for in a person. What qualities are most important to you in a long lasting relationship and what flaws can you live with, understand and accept? By making the choices you decide on for whatever reasons you have (which are entirely up to you)....it should help you to understand more clearly that should you be dealt a similiar card some day, the person you're with may no longer be attracted to you.

In conclusion...think and choose carefully remembering what's important in life and hopefully you'll never have to look back with regrets .....especially if you end up in the same situation.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 15
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:47:51 PM

Teeth do matter. Dentures are fine. I have dated a woman with dentures. But she NEVER had them out.

She had the intelligence to leave them in.

I realize not everyone has great teeth. Sometimes it is hereditary.

But if he kept them in for a few weeks he should still have them in.

I wouldnt keep him around. Would gross me out.

If you feel that way, never marry a woman with dentures because she will have to take them out at night.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 16
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:57:30 PM

^^ full dentures: hundreds of dollars
full implants: thousands

If the person has had there teeth gone for a number of years, there can be a lot of bone loss. Then they will have to do bone grafts and maybe soft tissue grafts as well. It can run as high as $80,000 if the damage is bad enough to replace all of the teeth. Greed on the part of dentists is why a lot of people still have dentures. Do a search and you will see how little they pay for the materials they use. Dentures really should be a thing of the past. Insurance should cover the implants. They call it exprimental, but the truth is dental implants in one form or another have been around for thousands of years.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 17
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/27/2008 6:38:10 PM
not only was he smart to have his implants put in, he was smart with his investments and money to have that much. that's one of the things you have to do when you plan out your life. take into consideration that you're going to need a lot of money.
if you don't make a lot, then sacrifice the material things. where's the rocket science needed for that plan???

You've got to be kidding me! Plan out your life? And how many people do you know who planned out their life and it ended up exactly as they planned it? lol

Not everyone..and I'll make that not most people ever have that kind of money just laying around to use for something of that nature to impress other people and it has nothing to do with being a smart investor. Surprise complications hit all of us at one time or another and any number of unfortunate unexpected things could wipe someone out. For most people there's never enough money to fall back on in life.

If the dentures do the job at a fraction of the cost and it doesn't bother the person, nor does it bother their partner..they'd be a fool to fork over that sum of money when so many other things in this world hold a much higher priority and one never knows what lies in the road ahead.

You're talking cars and other luxury items for people to give up but what about those living in the common world who have other obligations or others depending on them? To spend that money on oneself instead of the so called materialistic things which are necessities to most, would be totally irresponsible. Helping their child get braces or go through college, fixing the washer or dryer that's busted, putting meals on the table or replacing the tires that are long overdo...are priorities to families and that's where most people are at. Implants are a luxury!

You talk rocket science.....I call it reality. Then again I guess it all depends where we place our priorities and where our values and obligations lie. Most people who are able to fork out that kind of money on themselves can do so only because they are their own top priority and don't have anyone else whom they're responsible for or they're extremely wealthy and it matters not what they spend their money on. The average person however would have a struggle coming up with that type of money regardless of what they "gave up".

If my significant other asked me if he should pay a thousand dollars for dentures or 50,000 for implants I'd beg him to do the dentures, promise to love him regardless and ask him to help some starving child or help someone who needs a transplant to live. Of course if he made big bucks and that amount was a drop in the bucket and all his obligations were met then I'd say go ahead....but don't forget to say thanks for your life by helping someone who really needs it as well.
Oh yeah...and if you're using that kind of money on yourself, don't forget to put the same amount on the side for the rest of the family who may have your genes and need the same thing done in the future!

No problem though....we can give up.........................hmmmmmmm, the yacht and the trip to Tahiti! lol Oh wait..better yet.......your tenth motorcycle, any new golf clubs for the next ten years and your season passes to all future sporting events for the rest of your life. Yeah..that should do it! It'll be popcorn and the small TV for you! ; )

Alabamamam
Msg: 18
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/28/2008 5:20:03 PM
Does happen these days and may be quite individual.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 19
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/28/2008 7:03:12 PM

I'm sure everyone has a spare 8 to 20 thousand dollars laying around, if not go ask the neighbor, they probably have spare change laying on their dresser. pffft

I had a friend that just had it done and with the grafting and implants it was 47 thousand.

Of course we do, I think I have at least $20,000 in quarters in the right pocket of my jeans right now!!! lmfao

To the person who says just get implants. NEWS FLASH: Most people can't afford dental implants. Dental implants are more expensive than a new car. I can't remotely afford dental implants or a new car. The car I am driving now has a kbb value of $388.

Yes I know some people leave dentures in all of the time, but most dentist will tell you to leave them out for at least 8 hours a day. Studies have shown that wearing them 24/7 for whatever reason speeds up bone loss. Enough bone loss and you won't even be able to wear the dentures.
 BrownEyedLeo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/28/2008 8:52:24 PM
I don't think of it as being shallow. I would have a problem if a man I dated had false teeth and did not wear his bottom ones. I could not look past this. I would wonder if he left them somewhere or maybe loaned them to a friend or something. Or prehaps he could not afford to get his uppers and lowers at the same time. There are a lot of possibilities here.
I had a friend once that dated a man who had false teeth and he actually took them out and placed them on the table when they went out to eat. He told her the teeth hurt his gums when he ate. That is the moment I would have ran to the bathroom and NOT returned!
 asteliapuff39
Msg: 21
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/28/2008 9:18:43 PM
so follow your gut feeling!
dont be with him, cause right now its the bottom teeth... later all of them, later you will notice more imperfections... stop wasting your time.
 Rythmn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 5/29/2008 1:50:38 AM
i find this very interesting that there are so many righteous people here. i doubt that each of them have NO physical preferences. or would not care if their new mate had ED or whatever, after all that is a disability also!!! it's the person, right??? not what they have or don't have????

the OP was honest. she asked a question and got her head blown off by some of the righteous ones.

i have a disabilty and i accept that it does not sit with a whole lot of men. by the same token, teeth are important to me. if someone i cared about could not afford teeth, i'd either help them get the teeth (as i've done before and not "just" for men i was interested in) or i'd get them to the local dental college for assistance. if they could care less, then fine. but teeth are still important to me.

if i were coupled and my mate had his teeth totally knocked out and were irreplaceable, would i leave him? of course not. would i find that attractive? no. would it pain me on his behalf? yes. would i sleep with him? probably if we got that far, it would be that kind of love. but, i would still find him less physically attractive. that is HONEST. who is to say that women are NOT visual. we focus on different things and of course find the best parts in someone. but everyone has their deal breakers. for some, it's teeth. give the OP a break. look inside yourself at your own deal breakers!!!!

some want thin, some want no drama, some want an active sex life, some want a political or religous type or an age or an education level or someone very active... whatever... that is what makes the world go round.

OP it bothers you. either focus on his eyes, or forgive yourself. you cannot force attraction and not all friends have to be intimate friends.
 mr.amoree
Msg: 23
False Teeth ........
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:43:47 AM
bcsofnc57 msg 64.....

To the person who says just get implants. NEWS FLASH: Most people can't afford dental implants. Dental implants are more expensive than a new car. I can't remotely afford dental implants or a new car. The car I am driving now has a kbb value of $388.

then i would say don't expect a hunky dream guy emailing your profile any time soon sweetheart. whew!!!!! your financial condition is part of your social attractiveness.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 24
False Teeth ........
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:28:20 AM

I don't think of it as being shallow. I would have a problem if a man I dated had false teeth and did not wear his bottom ones. I could not look past this. I would wonder if he left them somewhere or maybe loaned them to a friend or something. Or prehaps he could not afford to get his uppers and lowers at the same time. There are a lot of possibilities here.
I had a friend once that dated a man who had false teeth and he actually took them out and placed them on the table when they went out to eat. He told her the teeth hurt his gums when he ate. That is the moment I would have ran to the bathroom and NOT returned!

Maybe left them at home in the bathroom. You really don't think people lend their dentures do you? Yes perhaps cost could be a factor in not wearing a denture. Guess they have to have a lot of cash to make you date them.

So you would expect him to eat in pain, rather than take the denture out and eat pain free? That isn't just shallow but just plain mean. Yet on your profile you call youself down to earth. Sorry but your old enough to be a bit more grown up about it, than you are.
 fancynanci
Msg: 25
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:00:03 PM
I could be friends with a guy like that but I'd never kiss a man who forgot to put his teeth in
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:00:26 PM
I truly loved the comment about people with dentures having better sex! I can't see how that would benefit a male....but, had I known how much more enjoyable oral was without them....I wouldn't have waited until a few years ago! LOL!

On a more serious note however (not that sex isn't serious) but as someone who always required more than the usual 2 check ups a year....I inherited my mother's extremely thin enamel, by the time I turned 50 yrs old, dental care was no longer the casual event that many people ENJOY. I also have a heart murmur (from my early 20's) so even just the regular 6 month check up/cleaning required MANDATORY massive overdoses of antibiotics. To complicate matters, I'm allergic every antibiotic they tried on me. A quick 1 hr check up/cleaning for me meant 2 days being sick.
I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to REJECT anyone who felt that a minor cosmetic flaw was more important to them than my overall health, safety and comfort.

Lower plates are a problem for many people. Implants are a very painful and long term process....not to mention out of the financial reach for many people. My dental insurance would have covered 50% of the cost....leaving me only to pay the other $7,000; however the process would have taken almost 2 years to complete. I had actually opted for a 1 time oral surgery to have "permanent dentures"....but like I said.....before I was healed enough to do that...I found out about the sex! LOL!
 cowtrucker
Msg: 28
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 6/12/2008 7:41:25 PM
Someone very close to me had his two front teeth knocked out while loading his cattle trailer. About 6 months ago, a bull kicked the gate, and the gate sprung back and hit him in the face. He has not yet done anything to correct the situation, and he does feel self conscious about it. It's all about time and money, and of course, reason to do so...

If I were to date him, I would probably have problems with the missing teeth, just in my daily hygiene habits. However, with advances in dental technology these days, not all hope is lost. There are implants, and plates that make it so a person can't tell which teeth they were born with, and which ones they got from the dentist. I would have problems kissing him, but not dating the person as a whole...

I love to see a man's smile, pet his mustache if he has one, and be able to kiss him and feel the sparkle in his lips.

I do understand that your person may not want to wear the plate if it is uncomfortable, but encouragement, NOT badgering or nagging will help him solve this.

If you are having problems with the lack of his dentures, maybe you need to re-think the relationship. I, too, agree that if the person fills your needs emotionally and mentally, and the physical isn't something that can not be changed, then there is still hope. It's almost like finding a mate who is skinny when you meet them, then they gain 70 pounds, and you decide you no longer like them...

I prefer to go into a relationship knowing what to expect. Maybe you need to take a long look at the rest of this person as a whole, and re-think if they meet your needs...

CowTrucker
(Whats left of... ) Chapman, Kansas
 Vannili
Msg: 30
view profile
History
False Teeth ........
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:41:12 PM
I don't care how great a guy is if he has no respect for his self. A personal grooming is very important to wo/men. It is a turn off to feel romantic toward that person. He should wear his upper and lower dentures to go on a date.LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > False Teeth ........