Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How much of your dating comes from the internet?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ImThatSteve
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How much of your dating comes from the internet?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Like the post says, How much of your dating comes from over the internet. Is it easier for you to hook up with people to actually go out on dates or is it a great way to hide from actually putting yourself "out there" ? I haven't been on it long myself but I have noticed that the women get alot more traffic then us guys do in their profiles, yet I have been on a few dates within a fairly short amount of time, it could turn out to be a lucrative resource. what has been your experience?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 2
How much of your dating comes from the internet?
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:27:41 PM
Probably 70%, but not from POF. I think there are lots of distractions, forums, elaborate profile rewriting, etc. I tried several times to coordinate with a POFer, but the site is so adictive, I think everyone on here would rather surf than meet for dinner. Craigslist is the way to go if you just want someone who'll meet for drinks and get off the computer already.

(I found a nice guy there, now I'm indulging in the POF forums and all the POF enhanced graphics).
 Karrpilot
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 6:39:46 PM
Well, i would have to say a good deal of it. And that ain't much. I get really tired of the singles groups, meet-up groups, where i go in there cold turkey. At least this way a lady can read my profile, figure out if she may have some sort of interest in me, and then go from there. Sure, it is awkward. For both of us. But at least i am trying. I have found that alot of the people in the groups i mentioned just want to hang out. And some women bring their girlfriends. Not to actually meet some guys, but to talk to each other. That they can do with each other. Why bother to go to a singles meeting if you have no intention of interacting?
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 7:09:42 AM
ALL of my dating is from the internet. I won't go to singles dances or any other singles gatherings. I like being able to read men's profiles to see if we have anything in common. Its convenient to view in private before I make up my mind as to whether I should reply or make the first move. Actually, in person, I am more shy and would not make the first move.....not so on the internet! I love it!

~Sexy Vixen 4u~
 mthomjmark
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/28/2008 2:10:33 PM
1%; anyone using it as their only or main tool for dating is ridiculous.
 oceangirlnla1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 7:32:29 PM
I've been dating on the internet for about 3 1/2 years. I rarely get ask out on a date in public places or through friends. Don't have a clue why. But the internet dating sites are an easy way to get to know someone and their likes and dislikes, compatibilities to you and if you just get a good vibe from them. Most guys look better in person though I have found some that don't. But that is few and far between. I feel you can sort of get to know someone's "soul" better online. That is if they aren't lying and pretending to be someone else. I have found that if someone is pretty much "for real" they will want to meet and not drag on the whole im-ing and emailing back and forth for too long. If they are just lying and playing around, they stall and stall to meet. Those men appear to be married, in a relationship or not moved on from a relationship and just playing or seeing what's out there.

I would have to say I date 98% of the time, at the moment, from internet dating sites. I really enjoy dating and meeting new people. And I enjoy being single...
 oceangirlnla1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2008 10:44:58 PM
I have placed some ads recently on C-list for women friends. And it has worked out really nice. I am new to the area and I find the internet to be a very helpful tool in meeting different types of people, male and female for dating and friendship. It a good way to cut to the chase on likes, dislikes and compatibility.
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2008 6:01:23 PM
100% right now. I never seem to run into attractive, single, guys my age or younger who ask me out in public or somewhere else in my real life. It doesn't bother me too much. I like internet dating, and I get enough prospects from here. I have had full-blown relationships develop from internet dates.
 c_deacon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:42:50 AM
After a while they all kind of mix together, to the point of not knowing where one starts and the other ends.

Many times meeting some from the internet at social gatherings, or other activities will open doors for getting to know many different people in different situations that are not internet specific.

The stigma that use to be attached to the internet, meeting and dating has evolved over the years, and now it is much more acceptable to mix all your dating together and not be so specific with the place you found another.

Life and dating goes on as many of us have found out over the years, and where you find some is not as important as the kind and type you end up with and why....

Just my opinion......
 totalrelease
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 6:38:47 PM
This may actually qualify as a addiction, or a very positive outlet. My online dating started a uncertain way. Working a rotating shift one night and got bored. So, i jump online, surf the net, then came across a dating service. And just place a ad for fun. Nothing happen for months, then i added a picture, and it took off like a rocket. Fortunately, all the online experience has been pleasant. It's very doubtful, that i would have met the people i've met, and travel the places i've gone, if i hadn't been online. I would say, that my online dating is 99.9 percent of my dating.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/24/2008 10:39:31 AM
Not much...a lot of quick one time meets, but few I'd date. Then again I don't do a whole lot of dating anywhere, so....yeah.
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/24/2008 11:26:22 AM
I only go on two date from this site and one from myspace.
 hellgremlin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:08:46 AM
None. I just got here!
 OutMind
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/15/2009 11:08:18 AM
Back when I was dating, I would say that 80 percent was from the internet, the other 20 came not so much from bars and clubs, but from parking lots. Yes, from parking lots. Triathletes, rollerbladers and cyclist tend to park in parks and then change into their gear and go. So many times that is the place where you chic-chat and meet people.
 wileygy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:31 PM
a date?wtf is that?lol
being a single dad and self employed i dont get out to just socialize very often.if i go to a bar id rather go with someone.....not to meet someone.the last couple years all my dating has come from online.i like the idea of getting to know someone a little before spending time out together.its been pretty good so far,even had a couple short relationships that were doomed only because of distance.
with the amount of single parents out there,i think its as good a place as any.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/22/2009 6:57:41 PM
not much; anyone using it as their only tool is really going to have problems. You should always try to date around you but if you can't, you can try the internet.

People on the internet tend to be flaky and make quick getaways.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How much of your dating comes from the internet?