Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Obama leave the church.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ezzee
Msg: 1
Obama leave the church.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Obama resigns from controversial church

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said Saturday that he has resigned from the church where controversial sermons by his former pastor and other ministers created political headaches for his campaign.
art.obamageneric.gi.jpg

Sen. Barack Obama confirmed his resignation from Trinity United Church of Christ.

"We don't want to have to answer for everything that's stated in the church," the Democratic front-runner said. "We also don't want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes."

Obama said he was resigning "with some sadness."

"This is not a decision I come to lightly," he said. Video Watch Obama discuss departure »

The resignation comes days after the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a visiting Catholic priest, mocked Obama's Democratic rival during a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois.

In the sermon, Pfleger wipes his eyes with a handkerchief and suggests that Sen. Hillary Clinton wept because she thought that as a white person and the wife of a former president, she was entitled to the presidency.

Pfleger is a Catholic priest at St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church on Chicago's southwest side. He is also a friend of Trinity's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, from whom Obama distanced himself in April. Video Watch Pfleger mock Clinton »

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be "imputed" to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.
Don't Miss

* Priest apologizes for mocking Clinton

Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, began discussing a departure from the church after Wright spoke at the National Press Club on April 28.

During the appearance, Wright said that Obama had "distanced" himself the fiery pastor for political reasons.

Wright, Obama's minister for about 20 years, drew unwanted attention for the campaign when videos of his fiery sermons surfaced.

In the speeches, Wright suggested that the U.S. government may be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and equated some American wartime activities to terrorism.

Obama has said he was not present for the controversial sermons by Wright or Pfleger.

His campaign condemned Pfleger's comments.

"That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause," he said in a statement Thursday.

Obama said he and his wife had discussed and prayed on the issue with Trinity's senior pastor, the Rev. Otis Moss, and hoped that the decision would withdraw Trinity from the spotlight.

"Though we are saddened by the news, we understand that it is a personal decision," Moss said in a statement Saturday. "We will continue to lift them in prayer and wish them the best as former members of our Trinity community,"
advertisement

Some Obama supporters, including U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler of Florida, said that disconnecting from the church signaled a chance for the campaign to move on.

"I think it bodes well for us in the general election that we can put whatever issues there were behind us in respect to the church," Wexler said

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/31/obama.church/index.html

Well, this move was way over due, in my opinion. It has been a PR nightmare for his campaign, and he needed to separate from the church. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with whom people relate with or interact with, but when someone or your group has been so controversial and so prominent and outspoken about it, it hurts, and this will definitely help his campaign. I just wonder if it is too little to late.

Any thoughts?
 Lario
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 6:43:15 PM
I don't think his leaving the church makes one bit of difference. He's been going there for years and if you listen to the sermons of those pastors mentioned in your post and watch th reactions of the parishoners... I wouldn't want anyone I saw in any of the videos I've seen as my president. We've all heard that "Birds of a feather flock together"... well Obama was for years one of that flock !!! A president who would unite America?? What a lie!!!!
 Eric2008
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 7:28:23 PM
McCain dumped Hagee and denounced him over a week ago.
 Eric2008
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 7:30:39 PM
All of these churches with political sermons need to have their tax-exempt status revoked.
It might be a good idea to strip all of them of their tax-exempt status.
 Eric2008
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:47:40 PM
Hadn't seen that and isn't this about the same.The church was good but I don't support all Rev.Wright says : now can't even be member of church.
Might be all those AMENS while the priest was race baiting.
 Eric2008
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:58:59 PM
There is not constitutional basis for tax-exempt status of churches.There have been instances where churches have lost tax-exempt status by endorsing individual candidates in church services.
According to todays post in Newsweek McCain is still on the outs with Hagee. Google McCain and Hagee and there is a post from Newsweek dated 05/30/08 by Anthony Stevens-Arroyo.Also Dallas Morning News has article about McCain losing evangelical vote because of it dated 05/30/08.I can't find any newer posts with contrary information.
 Eric2008
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 5/31/2008 9:08:30 PM
Google : revocation of church tax-exempt status and it will tell you that if a church endorses a particular candidate or announces its opposition to a particular candidate its tax-exempt status can and has been revoked . The first case was in Texas in 2000 when a church purchased full page ads in the local newspaper endorsing a candidate.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/1/2008 6:50:11 AM

It has been a PR nightmare for his campaign...

Bullshit, it's been one of the few, increasingly desperate, ultimately weak attempts by republican controlled media stooges/talking heads to attack and discredit this man during his run for the white house.

Of all the non issues, someone's beliefs that Obama heard, and this is supposedly Obama's fault. All of you have heard something crazy at one point or another, especially from religious minded people, so what does that say about all of us?

Non-issue. Desperate attempt to discredit Obama. Sad and insulting. And this coming from people who insanely looked up to ***holes such as Rev Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, etc.

I'd be even more impressed if Obama realized that all religions are a tool for social control and a great big lie, and he walked away from the church, all the churches in general.
 Ezzee
Msg: 9
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/1/2008 7:25:23 AM

Bullshit, it's been one of the few, increasingly desperate, ultimately weak attempts by republican controlled media stooges/talking heads to attack and discredit this man during his run for the white house.

Whoever has been responsible for the "attacks or and discredit," it still is a PR nightmare.

For the past several months since the story broke, it has gotten lots of media attention and has been the one thing that Obama has been focusing on outside of the issues. The job has been done, and his campaign has been in damage control mode ever since.

I call that a PR nightmare because they aren't talking about what they want to talk about and they are having to fight off anti-American and racists propoganda that can be linked to Obama ever since.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:57:56 PM
Hypocrites, yes you. ripping on someone for what their pastor said. And bringing up Clinton. What about what real issues are going on today? Do you even know? Have you been paying attention? Really? What about Falwell who said America deserved 9-11 because of the gays and feminists? Or do you side with such religious lunacy.

False indignation from you unread masses who find no fault with going to war based on lies, that the American government is torturing prisoners, holding them without letting them know their charges, and you find your feathers ruffled over this pastor?

Truth in what he says, the government had conducted syphilis tests on unsuspecting blacks, it's documented, but maybe if you ignore it, it's never happened, night?
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/1/2008 11:10:58 PM

He quit he church to spare the congregation.
"Reporters were calling the sick and shut-ins." "stealing Church Bulletins".

Does anyone believe that?

It's not about what you believe, it's about what has happened. Because something doesn't fit in your childishly simplistic world view does not mean it never happened. You belong in Kansas denying that evolution and natural selection. Amazing what people can fool themselves into dismissing. But, truth does hurt, and denial is a natural defense mechanism.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:22:56 PM
Where's the proof he was poisoned in the way you imagine? True, religion poisons everything, I agree with that statement, and this one, life is beautiful enough, why guild the lily?

I'm personally glad to see the rev. bringing up some points of contention. America has been a racist country and still is in many ways, open your eyes and you can still see the Jim Crow style justice and subjugation.

But as for harping on a guy for what his preacher says?! That's madness. The president of my country has said some truly deranged things, and I heard him, does that mean he speaks for me or has changed my views because he said them? Of course not. When I was religious my religious leaders said some backwards things, inter religious marriage being a deadly sin for one, and Led Zeppelin having backmasked satanic lyrics.

Religious people are all slightly insane, to believe in the unprovable nonsense they do, but with the vast majority of this country being brainwashed and dumbed down by religion, no critical thinking atheist would stand a chance at getting elected.

To hear the nonsense spouted by former pastors of former presidents would be no difference in this context. Where's the righteous indignation from the populace? Look at who is propagating this story, it's the corporate media, fascism, trying anything to paint Obama in a bad light, and giving McSame a free pass. When you realize that the news is lying to you, then you can see the truth.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 13
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:48:39 AM
How about the point of view of we Americans that vote for candidates DESPITE the fact they attend churches?

Personally,I think an atheist/anti-theist POTUS might be a better choice than one that believes that their "invisible friend" watches everything they do.

<---------(quickly runs and stands behind "carneades" and peeks out from behind him shaking her head in unision while mumbling even she stopped believing in invisible people when she grew up.)

Obama said he's leaving because it's causing undue hardship on the church.

He has never said he disagrees with the ideology the church has and continues to stand on.

Trinity believes in a religious doctrine that says "unashamedly black and unapologetically christian with a NON-NEGOTIABLE COMMITMENT TO AFRICA." Is that the elusive "change" he's been skirting around? The church ten point doctrine doesn't say non-negotiable commitment to AMERICA. It doesn't even say a non-negotiable commitment to african americans. it says AFRICA.

Obama has NEVER backed down to the ideology of his church doctrine.

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

Obama is a politician with a law degree. The last politician with a law degree stood in front of millions of Americans on national television pointing his finger to the cameras and said... "I have NEVER had sexual relations with that woman."

Semantics is the last refuge of a scoundral.

Obama chooses his words carefully when he makes statements about his church. He walks a fine line of semantics and allows the public to make a leap of logic.
 Eric2008
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Obama leave the church.
Posted: 8/3/2008 9:21:22 PM
Obama's church looks more like the Chris Rock show than a real church, but if you look at Obama's career up until now, he probably would have never had attained what he had without strengthening his "black" credentials. What are you white people so afraid of? If he takes all the money from the Iraq war and gives it to poor black men (highly unlikely) I'd be fine with it and I'm white. What I think is more likely is that he is the educated man he appears to be, and both his attendance and non-attendance of the Church of Christ were political moves. If you were expecting a politician to not be a politician, I'm guessing you stil believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Continued attendance indicates agreement.If I attended a church and the "Pastor" shouted racist statements I would get up and leave.If Obama attended this "church" for political reasons it shows a lack of integrity.If he couldn't stand up to "Rev." Wright then he's weak.If he agreed with the "pastor" he's a RACIST.
Any of the three conditions would disqualify most people.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Obama leave the church.