Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many people have actually went on a date using this site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 young n handsome
Msg: 1
How many people have actually went on a date using this site?Page 1 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
Who has been on a date? How many emails, phone calls, im's, or whatever before you went on the date? What was your experience? Also a question to the ladies, how do you like to be approached on a first email from a user? Is showing too much interest scare you i.e. sending a bunch of gifts or saying you'd like to meet in an email.
 southernstyle64
Msg: 2
How many people have actually went on a date using this site?
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:41:04 PM
I've actually talked to quite a few gentlemen on this site and have gone out with several. I tell everyone upfront that I'm not looking for any long distance relationship and what my family situation is. I have no objections to making new friends from here, it's what I enjoy in life off of the computer as well. E-mails are always a great start, IM's are usually the next step before a phone call, and I never meet anyone before getting to know them a bit over the phone. I'm not shallow at all but I did learn the hard way not to even consider meeting anyone without a current picture or preferably seeing them on webcam. Because if they'll lie about age and appearance, just what else would they lie about in their life ?
 ThirdTimeAround
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:58:25 PM
every situation is different. but it is good that you are asking and getting opinions. i have been on a few dates and im still dating one and i am friends with a few others. email back and forth until you actually meet and then still continue to email if you are interested. there is no limit on emails or phone calls or ims. i find if they dont respond to your email, im or your phone call its their cowardly way of letting you know they are not interested. but that's okay also. gives you the opportunity to move on and look for someone else. my experience have all been different. there were some i would want to see again and there were a few that i knew had no chance. we are all different and not everyone is the right person for you. but ive made some nice friends and for that i am thankful. in your first email just say hi , tell a little bit about yourslef and state that you are interested. showing too much interest is a compliment. if someone is interested in meeting you they will appreciate your interest, your gifts and your invitation for a meet and greet. just be yourself. the rest will follow course. dont feel bad if it turns out to be someone you have nothing in common with, just remember there are other fish in the sea. good luck !!!!
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 1:23:45 PM
One. Three emails and a phone conversation before "first meet." An enjoyable meeting over coffee and sandwiches, but we mutually decided there was no "chemistry." We still talk IM and on the phone, she's a sweet person.

ALOT OF NUT CASES ON HERE AND THEY SEEM TO ALL CONTACT ME

Not all, you're too far away!!
 SwampHunter
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/1/2008 1:36:13 PM
I've been here about a year and have had lots... It takes some weeding out, but I've made some awesome friends here that I wouldn't trade for anything. I've also had some of the best dates I've ever had...

Mark
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/1/2008 3:56:52 PM
I have been on dates. I can't say if there have been a lot because I have no basis for comparison. I can count . . . let's see . . . six since about February but many more than that in the last year. I turn down more men based on their emails/profiles than I meet.

I like to meet SOON after initial contact because there is a lot to be understood in person that can't be seen/heard/felt in emails or on the phone.

I have largely been disappointed. I met a fat guy who said he is athletic and a 60+ year old man who said he is 50. One guy had no teeth (his mouth was closed in his profile pic). Is it so much to ask that people tell the truth???

Gifts really mean nothing. I like a witty or thoughtful first approach, commenting about my profile or something I said in the forums. Creativity is great. Telling me how sexy I look isn't a good approach, but compliments are nice. If you look young for your age, I will figure it out, no need to tell me.
 young n handsome
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:07:52 PM
What sites did you go to? Free ones?
 Xcen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:17:52 PM
Jots note to self,,,,,,,,,,,,,do not contact Bettie # 8 or Magnificent #17,,,,,
 JamesP166
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:25:39 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a strange experience on here yesterday..I talked to a gentleman Friday nite, we then talked on the phone for 3 hours and made plans to meet on Saturday, and then e-mailed me stating that "he changed his mind and wasn't ready to date and was removing his profile from POF...." Very Weird and disappointing to say the least.. ARE PEOPLE REALLY SERIOUS ON THIS WEB SITE BECAUSE I AM HAVING ONE WIERD EXPERIEINCE AFTER ANOTHER ON HERE..Maybe I just just rely on a chance meeting..less
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe his last girlfriend got back together with him

or his wife just found out that he was on the phone with a woman for 3 hours.

who knows.

Jim P.
 Just JJ2
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:34:22 PM
I have been on many dates from this and other sites in the past.....

Like anything else its the law of averages....

You're bound to meet someone eventually... so just use the site as a means to an end, and not the end all of dating.... You will have some very nice experiences and you will have some not so pleasant ones as too...

Just hang in there.... because based on the number of people out there on ALL these sites.... NOONE wants to be alone forever. In the mean time just enjoy where ever you are, with whom ever you're with at the time.

jmo

jj
 SCUDRUNN3R
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:44:26 PM
yeah been on a few. Nothing life changing tho, but it IS just a website at the end of the day.
 superlaf
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 5:14:25 PM
I've been on dates from this site... met some great people. None turned out to be "the one" at this point, but it's okay. I am happy just to meet others and get used to dating again after a long marriage. No site comes w/ guarantees!!!

I will say that there are more than the usual amount of "booty calls" attempted. Not what I'm looking for, but I can't blame them for trying...
 zangie
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 5:44:35 PM
Several dates from here, more from another site...I've only had two really bad dates..the rest were good guys, just one or both of us weren't interested...

I like a few emails, but, agree with other posters that the sooner you meet the better it is..too easy to get ideas of what you think it will be like , and then be disappointed. I don't use the Im on here, but will on Yahoo. Then phone, then date.

Coming on too strong can be scary. Flirts though, don't bother me, I find them nice and complimentary.
 LMK45
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/1/2008 6:02:03 PM
OP, to your question, I've met someone from here. He sent an extremely funny email first, and then we went laughing back and forth emailing for about a week or so. Then a phone call or two, and then a meet. All I can say is WOW!!

OP, just be yourself and inject something interesting or funny that she can respond back to. If you're not yourself, you'll come off as "stiff". Have fun with it!!!
 clasact
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 6:53:24 PM
I've been on several from this site and recently. I can't say how many emails there were as there were many in some instances and fewer in others. Some there were a number of phone calls, others fewer.

Between this one man and I too many IM's to count really. I don't care for IM now really......or at least not too much of it. A LOT gets lost in the transmission......believe me. I would rather talk on the phone after a few emails or few IM's.

There are people on this site that I have met through the forum I have talked with on the phone. And there's a few I'd still like to talk with but haven't. But on the forums we kinda get to know each other too in a way like this.

In the first email, showing too much interest isn't a bad thing, I suppose. Depends on how it's relayed. You don't want to come off creepy. I wouldn't meet someone with only having corresponded with them by email solely. You need "real time" conversation before meeting. IMHO..........just sayin'
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:33:41 AM
I've had plenty of dates off this site, mostly good.
 Change Of Pace
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:44:37 AM
I've met a few from here...not many though. I have to say they've been nice and I've never been uncomfortable, just hasn't worked cause either they, I, or both weren't interested.

I've had better luck in finding dates from a paysite. I look at this one as more of a social site myself...I love the forums and keep in touch with lots of people. Other dating sites just aren't like this as far as the social aspect.

There are a few men on here who are serious, but I find that most are using out for what they can get, married or annoying me using text speak constantly. If someone can't express themselves here with short messages it turns me away...

Length of time and emails...depends. Found someone who I emailed and texted for months and we ended up getting along fabulously...ended when work commitments took him out of the country, but it was right for the two of us to wait. Others I've met after a few messages and calls...my preference--some time getting to know someone. I know that's a minority opinion, but I find it works better for me.

You just have to go with the flow and your comfort...nothing is set in stone.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:00:37 AM
The nut cases contact me right as soon as they're through with you--or maybe it's because they've had me, they are nut cases with you - who knows? Jeannie

The nut cases are very busy contacting EVERYONE!

I think I only met one person from this site, and it was obvious in 2 seconds that he was really wrapped up in a bitter divorce/custody dispute and not ready to date. So, we talked about his case instead. That's the closest I've gotten relating to someone off of this site.

When I was trying to date from this site, I had to take my picture down, because profiles with pictures get messaged like crazy (and my picture was not that stellar). Even without a photo, I get IM'd and propositioned for sex almost immeadiately. Other's who I contacted first on POF would chat back and forth for maybe three messages and then say they are looking for a hook-up, even though their profile indicated the contrary. I'm glad that they were eventually honest, but it's a little disheartening to deal with one after the other like that, when all you're looking for is to get out of the office and socialize a little.

I think, compared to Craigslist, POF takes alot of effort to register, upload photos, fill in profiles, and so some guys expectations that they'll be rewarded with an instant girlfriend/ hookup/phone sex/cyber sex grow accordingly. I think Craigslist people just throw up a sentence or two, and are willing to meet in person for a drink with no expectations. I'm also lucky to be in a city where there's public transportation and lots of people with interests, educational background, professional jobs similar to mine, so meeting for a drink is usually just a 15 minute diversion from the usual work to home path. Maybe if my city were more rural, I would want an extended chat before I drove 40 miles to meet someone. But for my purposes, POF didn't work great for meeting in person.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:43:56 PM
A few. Talked about a week, perhaps 2. both online and phone.

The experiences were letdowns in that they didn't develop into anything else, but were fine in and of themselves.

I think the gifts are trite.
 ladyc4
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/2/2008 8:00:46 PM

there aren't any pukie smileys here.

gotta make your own

On topic, I've participated in various dating sites,including this one, made some great friends, one or 2 things that were sort of serious but faded out...but then I was in process of selling my house and relocating so I was reluctant to encourage anything. The area I live in now is not as heavily populated, and I knew going in that I probably was going to experience a reduction in dating,simply due to logistics and numbers. I'm OK with that.
Frankly, I've had just as much, if not more, luck meeting guys IRL, but then I'm not one to sit in my house expecting the Lord to pour men down my chimney.
Cindy O
 Urbanessa
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:59:00 AM
I had been on few POF dates (five, I think - yessss, I am picky :wink: ) in half a year or so before indeed meeting the man on here. Two months of extensive e-mailing and daily hourlong phone calls (we live about 1300 miles apart) have turned into a first date that immediately turned into a committed relationship with each of us traveling at least one week per month to make sure we spend at least two weeks per month with each other. Works beautifully so far, and we're as happy as can be. So POF definitely worked for me (and him).

Of those POF dates I went on before meeting the man :wink: only one was relatively unpleasant (with the dude showing up in a dirty t-shirt and equally stocky worn-out sagging jogging pants and venting about his "stooopid" fellow Americans and the "idiot" U.S. President for an hour or so before I bailed (and then later was told via e-mail to f*cking go back to my f*cking home country since I obviously hated the United States so much - WTF?!? I didn't vent about his fellow Americans OR president... - even if I had wanted to, I wouldn't have been able to get a sentence in, because he was so at it...:wink:). All of the other men I met off POF were very nice, decent and interesting people.
 jw95624
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:07:13 PM
just ignore then, don't respond, they eventually go away. There are a lot of nuts every age. You can pick and choose who you want to talk to and date..
 jw95624
Msg: 23
Here's a recap of 3 people I actually went on a date with using this site...
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:18:21 PM
very interesting reading, I totally relate, thats why I'm still single ..I've been on different websites, and had some dates, I believe its a crap shoot, you never know what your going to get, they are never what they say they are, I think thats the worst part of it all, to much deceit, and when they lie about their age, that a clue already, I know theres people that I've had dates with years ago and now they are younger then when I dated them... Pretty funny.. I guess we are always still hoping to find that special someone.
 Ideoform
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2008 10:00:59 PM
4 nice people dating more than once each.

I had to block IM here. Not a great way to connect for me.

Dating a great someone now for more than 3 months from here.

The virtual "gifts" can be fun, but usually more as something to joke about. But they get attention if you use them lightheartedly!
 QtrOfCentury
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Here's a recap of 3 people I actually went on a date with using this site...
Posted: 6/10/2008 11:23:23 PM

First email? As far as I'm concerned, the more inventive, the better. I've gotten plenty of emails saying "hey how r u liked the profile n pics wud lik 2 get 2 kno u pls write back" or something of that nature. I've also gotten several that had a few words and a whole bunch of nonsense characters designed to get past my minimum character limit restriction. That sort of thing has ways irritated the bloody bejesus out of me. A gift for the initial email is fine, or every now and then, but I think sending too many of them would be redundant. I also don't take kindly to having someone write me, then write back a half hour later angry that I haven't responded yet. What I'd like to see in an initial email is just a little bit of thought, it's always nice to hear, "hey, I decided to write to you because... I think you should write back to me because..." I'd like to know a little bit more about a person other than whatever is in the profile. Or send me a limerick. I dig limericks.

You need an unusually unique sort of person to ponder sending someone a limerick as their opening statement for a 2-way dialogue. Good luck with that one. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many people have actually went on a date using this site?