Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > PickUp Trucks run Empty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run EmptyPage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Fashion, pure fashion.
If you live on a farm and actually have a practical use for one then a pickup is understandable.
A city dweller who owns a pickup might as well put a sign around his neck saying, " Will help you move your stuff, anytime for free ".
Nothing irritates me more than those big jacked up off-roaders who go 90 mph. down the highway.
 faithnoman
Msg: 11
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:31:19 PM
I drive a small '95 2wd 4cyl Ranger stick shift that gets almost 30mpg average - it's barely over 80hp, and if the big three had any sense whatsoever, they would make a small turbodiesel truck that gets over 40mpg average and have much better efficiency and towing capacity - it's too bad a company from India named Mahindra is going to be the first small truck in the northeast US instead, starting '09.

I used to drive nothing but cars, but I work in a shop, go fishing a lot, help people move things all the time, and love being just a bit higher up so I can see things on the road better...I love my little "I think I can" truck.

I totally agree on the huge ridiculous redneck-mobiles that cover up the road around my home in central FL - many of them are just commuter vehicles, and are finally starting to realize how ridiculous it is to have one for those purposes.
 faithnoman
Msg: 16
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:44:08 PM
Put yard waste in your trunk, things that smell like they have been fishing all day, a small boat, scrap metal, dirty tools, hydraulic jacks, 8X10 bass guitar speaker cabinets.....no thanks - I did the car thing forever and it's much easier to do these things with a small truck.

Plus, I can help family members out a lot(helping them move things that are way to big for a car), so it makes me feel more useful.

- Chris
 faithnoman
Msg: 17
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:53:19 PM
Yeah, Topgear, I was talking about the tractor company=)

Sorry about the redneck comment, but what I meant is it's kinda ridiculous to drive such a huge gas guzzling vehicle around for single human transport, as well as it is to drive a huge car with 26 inch rims that weigh almost 100 pounds( increasing braking distance, decreasing mileage, and wearing out parts(and riding like crap) )

I said it in a former post, but there are diesel cars in europe that get 78mpg. The US is just behind the times.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 23
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:18:19 AM
I had a 1974 F-150 crew cab with a big 6 and a 4-speed. I used it constantly in my business- I was selling real estate at the time (mid '80s), I could not only haul anything I needed in the (short) 6 ft bed, but could also drive prospective customers to see homes, because of the huge back seat. As my needs changed I had to sell it, but it was one of the most useful vehicles I've ever owned.

Recently I had a need for a pickup, but I can't afford another vehicle. I invested $200 on a 800# capacity, 4'X8' trailer kit, $40 on some discounted "cull" lumber (70% off, it was a tad warped) to make the trailer bed and sides, and $150 on a class III hitch for my minivan. Trailer registration and plate was $25.

I've often wondered why "sedan-pickups" like the Subaru Baja aren't more popular, they would be idiot-simple to design- it's basically a sedan minus a trunk lid.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 26
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 8:38:37 AM
Leave it to a girl to have to explain it to you guys in fiscal terms.

I was going to post with the same logic as Weatherly, but decided that my typical rational thinking would bore the fellas.

You go girl! (Weatherly)

Here in the Phoenix area it costs around $75 for delivery. With the same number crunching as Weatherly's a friend of mine has decided to buy a second vehicle just for hauling stuff and leave it parked when he doesn't need it.

Another issue no one has touched on (yawn) is the liability involved should a person choose to rent a vehicle to haul stuff with. The typical liability you get on one of those rental rigs is no where near enough to cover you in case of a major event.

I personally drive a little sports car. When those big rigs pull up next to me at a stop light and I look over to see the tire as high as my drivers door window I say a little prayer that I never have to look at the wrong side of that tire in an accident.

I'll be D E A D -- 'cause a seatbelt isn't gonna save my life.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 30
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 11:07:03 AM
I personally drive a little sports car. When those big rigs pull up next to me at a stop light and I look over to see the tire as high as my drivers door window I say a little prayer that I never have to look at the wrong side of that tire in an accident.

When I was referring to "big rigs" I meant it in the context of this conversation. Those big ol' pick-em-up trucks with the huge tires.

My bad for using that term. I knew better. I have a bad habit of calling anything with tires that's used for transportation a "rig." Forgive my relaxed terminology. (You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.)

As for the 18 wheeler kritters... they drive rationally and responsibly as a rule. They know that for every ton of weight that rig carries it's going to affect the reaction time (of the vehicle).

Our cars are an extension of who we are in most cases. As individuals we should respect and encourage individuality. It's who we are in a free country. (plus I might need ya to haul something for me) (((GRINS)))
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 32
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:45:00 PM
VEHICLE:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -
ve·hi·cle Audio Help /ˈviɪkəl or, sometimes, ˈvihɪ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vee-i-kuhl or, sometimes, vee-hi-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. any means in or by which someone travels or something is carried or conveyed; a means of conveyance or transport: a motor vehicle; space vehicles.
2. a conveyance moving on wheels, runners, tracks, or the like, as a cart, sled, automobile, or tractor.
3. a means of transmission or passage: Air is the vehicle of sound.
4. a carrier, as of infection.
5. a medium of communication, expression, or display: The novel is a fitting vehicle for his talents. Language is the vehicle of thought.
6. Theater, Movies. a play, screenplay, or the like, having a role suited to the talents of and often written for a specific performer.
7. a means of accomplishing a purpose: College is a vehicle for success.
8. Rhetoric. the thing or idea to which the subject of a metaphor is compared, as “rose” in “she is a rose.” Compare tenor (def. 3).
9. Pharmacology. a substance, usually fluid, possessing little or no medicinal action, used as a medium for active remedies.
10. Painting. a liquid, as oil, in which a pigment is mixed before being applied to a surface.
[Origin: 1605–15; < L vehiculum, equiv. to veh(ere) to convey + -i- -i- + -culum -cle2]

—Pronunciation note Because the primary stress in vehicle is on the first syllable, the Audio Help /h/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[h] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation in the second syllable tends to disappear: Audio Help /ˈviɪkəl/[vee-i-kuhl]. A pronunciation with primary stress on the second syllable and a fully pronounced /h/[h] is usually considered nonstandard: /viˈhɪkəl/[vee-hik-uhl]. In the adjective vehicular, where the primary stress is normally on the second syllable, the /h/[h] is always pronounced.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

BAJA:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Subaru Baja
Manufacturer Subaru-Isuzu Automotive, Inc.
Parent company Fuji Heavy Industries
Production 2003 - 2006
Assembly Lafayette, Indiana
Class Mid-size pickup truck
Body style(s) 4-door pickup truck
Layout All wheel drive
Engine(s) 2.5L 165 hp (123 kW) H4

2.5L 210 hp (157 kW) H4
Transmission(s) 4-speed automatic

5-speed manual
Wheelbase 104.3 in (2649 mm)
Length 193.1 in (4905 mm)
Width 70.1 in (1781 mm)
Height 64.2 in (1631 mm) (2003-04)
65.1 in (1654 mm) (2005-06)
Related Subaru Legacy

The Subaru Baja (pronounced ba-ha) is a light-utility, all-wheel-drive, four passenger, four-door crossover pickup truck manufactured from 2003-2006 by Subaru. The Baja combined the handling and passenger carrying characteristics of a car with the open-bed versatility, and to a lesser degree, load capacity of a pickup truck.

The unibody design borrowed heavily from existing mechanicals, platform and sheetmetal of the Legacy and Outback wagons [1]. Production began on July 18, 2002[2] as a 2003 model at the Lafayette, Indiana factory (Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc., aka SIA) once shared with Isuzu.

The Baja's concept recalls many similar car-based, open-bed vehicles:

* Subaru's earlier BRAT four-wheel-drive, unibody pickup marketed in the US from 1978-1987)
* Other small US-marketed unibody pickups: Volkswagen Caddy, Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp
* The prominent US rear-wheel drive Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino [3]
* the two and four-door vehicles of Australia, known as Utes
* much earlier American car-based pickup truck known as Coupe Utilities.

The Baja is named after the Baja peninsula that straddles Mexico and the US, and is home to the Baja 1000 off-road race.
 duckling
Msg: 33
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:45:44 PM
I like having a truck for the occasional time I need to haul "those 8 foot lengths of lumber", parts for my bike or car, or to pull a trailer. It doesn't get used more than 20% of the time, but it's still used often enough to make it cheaper to own a truck than to rent one.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 34
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:52:57 PM

I will take my big ol truck and run your popcan car right over..then throw your lil crapper car in the back of my truck and haul it around town for 52 weeks...will that make you happy?

On how many levels is this wrong?
On the face of it, that's a "terroristic threat," certainly probable cause to have your license suspended, in and of itself. Where did you say you live?
If you were foolish enough to follow through, that would be "assault with a deadly weapon," "aggravated assault," "attempted murder," and, if "successful," it could be "manslaughter" or even "premeditated murder."
Clearly, someone with such anger issues does not need to be driving any kind of motor vehicle in any situation.
 TimPommell
Msg: 36
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:18:38 PM
OP What kind of car do you drive? Are the other 3 out of 4 seats full 75% of the time? Is the trunk full 75% of the time? Do you utilize the full potential of the transportation you purchased? Could you utilize less fuel? I see by your profile you enjoy water sports, do you waste fuel and harm the environment with those toxic emissions needlessly for recreational purposes? (Granted a kayak or canoe doesn’t use a motor, but how do you get it to the water? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?)

Not trying to be a D I C K but the planet is full of environmentalists like Al Gore who want every one else to adjust their lifestyle while they live an opulent and excessive way of life with the thought of environmentalism globally warming their bank accounts and little else.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..."
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 39
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/6/2008 8:41:12 PM
Detroit hasn't nearly exhausted the engineer's bag of tricks when it comes to improved fuel economy: Variable Valve Timing (VVT), Variable Displacement (several possible schemes here, like the V8-6-4 pioneered by Cadillac), Variable Compression, adaptations of the Miller Cycle, or simply smaller-displacement turbocharged engines; alternative transmissions, such as manual or automatic 6- or 7- speed transmissions, over- and under- drive transmissions, combined with "taller" (numerically lower) final gear ratios; and various "regenerative braking" schemes (electric, pneumatic, hydropneumatic, mechanical).
Put some or all of those together into an integrated, computerized powertrain system, and you might get another 30-40% improvement in efficiency.

I still want a USB port to download the diagnostics into a thumb drive.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 47
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:19:31 AM

Haven't seen ONE comment address how many days their truck bed is full
--maybe buying a PickUp Truck kills the mathematical part of the brain .

Nah, just most people have better things to do with their time then help you hug yourself for being such a self-righteous wingnut.
EVERYONE laughs at the dorks driving hummers in town as some status symbol they wouldn't dare scratch with a bit of real work, including the people that actually USE their trucks.
GM screwed up by marketing to these fools rather than people that actually use the vehicles out of necessity. GM not Ford was the king of the hill in the truck market (Chev+GMC sales vs Ford sales tells the tale) and their own blindness to the desires of the consumer have bitten them in the proverbial a$$.

It seems the OP is also overlooking hauling capacity, implying that people should also rent a truck to haul a boat or trailer every weekend, or try to make it up a hill with a 31 foot cruiser hitched to a VW Golf.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 48
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:43:03 AM

Why do so many people gravitate towards PickUp trucks when a majority
of the time they carry nothing in the truck beds ?

I think OP asked a legitimate question. I believe at issue are those who buy pickups as an ego extension or a a style statement, not those who have a legitimate business or work-related purpose.

It does seem to me that many replies are overly defensive. Those with real needs have no need to apologize or justify to anyone what they drive, be it pickup, van, or SUV, hybrid, compact hatchback or large 4-door sedan.

I'm not convinced that the majority of pickup and SUV owners actually do have a real need. When used daily for what they were designed to do, there is no more practical vehicle, but it seems most are used simply as commuters, not cargo haulers. In my own case, I could certainly use a pickup now and then, but I'm making do with a trailer. The fact is, I can get a decent used sedan or minivan for a lot less money than a used pickup in usable condition(I haven't made a car payment in 13 years, and don't intend to do that ever again).

The real issue is that whatever we drive, we should do it as efficiently as possible. From my own professional driving experience, I know that individual driving habits alone can affect mileage as much as 30% or more. There are technological aids to help people drive any vehicle more efficiently, but the least expensive and most effective is conscious control over what the right foot does.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 49
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 11:30:44 AM

I think OP asked a legitimate question. I believe at issue are those who buy pickups as an ego extension or a a style statement, not those who have a legitimate business or work-related purpose.

While the OP also blindly ignores that to delivery goods means one trip full one trip empty, therefore an automatic 50% even when utilized 100% of the time. With the exception of mobile trades where the cargo is more likely to be tools or supplies which aren't completely used at the job-site.
Or place like where I work that since I drive a car cannot some days even make it into work. The clearance is just not enough to prevent heavy "snowplowing" though a foot or more of snow. Or the high population of large wildlife..... would you rather be in Vibe or a Silverado when a moose, deer or bear bolts from the bush and freezes right in front of you?

As for the being overly defensive, I attribute that directly to the OP's sanctimonious view that what works for him should work for everyone else. It's not like he asked what people thought of these city living idiots in SUV's that never leave a paved road to save their life, if he had I bet several of the people opposing him would have been laughing right along side him instead.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 50
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 1:54:33 PM
One "benefit" about $4+ gas is that we're seeing just exactly how many people really do "NEED" a big SUV or pickup truck; light truck production has, practically overnight, dropped 35%, and more drastic production cuts are probably coming.
This isn't necessarily a "good" thing, because ultimately it's going to mean higher prices for those that actually do need the utility of a pickup or SUV, but it was certainly avoidable, had more consumers been able to distinguish "want" from "need," or "style" from "function."
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 53
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 2:31:36 PM

Have some one drive you down to the rent - a - truck location. Wait in line on your day off to fill out the forms, purchase the applicable insurance, sign and initial the required paper work, drive home, pick up your ppl, drive to where the task at hand is, finish, being extremely careful not to get the smallest of dings on the truck (depending on your insurance selection), drive back home to drop off your ppl, have some one follow you in another car back to the rent - a - truck location, stand in line again, pay your bill, bum a ride from the person who's taking time out from their day, and go home.

Actually, I can do this all online in about 5 minutes. Some agencies will actually deliver the vehicle to my house, others like me to leave my car at their business (kind of as security so they know they're getting the truck back). Both Lowes and Home Depot have trucks to rent by the day or by the hour, so- what exactly was your point?

As for the comment about 2-seaters- there should be more of them, and they should be cheaper to buy than a 4-door sedan, but car manufacturers and insurance companies think of them as "sports cars" rather than "commuter cars." I'd love to have an economical 2-seater hatchback similar to an MGB-GT. I couldn't afford the insurance.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 55
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/7/2008 5:33:09 PM

How heavy is that gas guzzling boat you tow behind your gas guzzing PickUp Truck ?
I know, I know, you only do that on weekends - all 52 weeks a year I'm sure.
Rumor has it you can buy fish fillets in the store, along with steaks and bratwurst.

And we're right back to the sanctimonious BS. We could of course call you on your wasting fuel to go cycling and kayaking. It isn't like you have any real need for those activities. Yet we don't but you still feel the need to go all holier than thou on anyone that enjoys weekend long cruises of waterways with 1/2 a dozen friends.
Frankly based on my current needs I am looking at the Outback, Legacy and light trucks along the lines of the Mazda line-up which can get around 30 miles/gallon(Imp.). But for a recreational kayaker such as yourself I would suggest something like this
http://www.crypticide.com/dropsafe/article/1288
Or perhaps the Mini Coopers success will help revive the old Sunbeam Tiger, with todays technology such a vehicle could be very successful in urban markets.
Or the Carver One.....if they drop the price tag.

http://www.carver-worldwide.com/SubItem/SubItem.asp?S_ID=33

http://www.carver-worldwide.com/Home/Index.asp?nc=1

Any one of those for in town errands and a truck for when I need it would suit me just fine.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 58
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/8/2008 1:32:02 AM
You may be able to swap the ring gear and pinion on the rear axle. This is possible with some diffs.

You can also try "taller" tires to change the effective ratio, for example LT285/65R20 instead of 235/85R16 or 235/65R17. Not sure how much that changes the final ratio but I have no doubt someone will let us know. Good luck finding cheap 20" rims...

Either will involve some expense, and you'll have to recalibrate the speedometer.

Adding a "boattail" cab on the bed can improve aerodynamics. So would an "air dam" on the front.

See if a late-model 6-speed trans will bolt in. Junkyards have "interchange" manuals that have that information. If so I'd be looking at late-model wrecks.

Performance shops have "performance chips," maybe they could be persuaded to burn some "economy chips?"

Can't help you with the engine. I recall a hot rodder friend once remarked he could convert a 429 to a 460 just by replacing the pistons and con rods, but I don't know if he ever actually did, or if it really is that simple. Maybe it's possible to "destroke" a 6.0 in a similar manner. Again, I'm sure someone will be happy to let us know.

Sure, GM could do all that very easily. I suggested some similar ideas a couple years ago. It went over about as well as my ideas about a minivan-based pickup, for guys like me who don't need a "real" truck but could use the capability, or the minivan that converts to a pickup (such as the 1994 Mercedes VRC concept vehicle).
 duckling
Msg: 60
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/8/2008 10:38:36 AM
One thing the OP failed to cosider is that most owner's have one vehicle for use in varied tasks. I live in Fort McMurray, Alberta. We're about 250 miles north of the nearest big city (Edmonton). Although most of us tend to spend about 85% of hte time we're in our vehicle commuting to and from our jobs (no cargo), 4X4 trucks are the vehicle of choice. There's more clearance for commuting in heavy snow, better traction, and the ability to purchase and haul items back from the big city without paying heavy shipping rates. With the ever-increasing price of insurance, parts and routine maintenance it is still more economical to own one good pick-up truck than to own two or more vehicles for different uses. We'd prefer that gas was cheaper as despite pulling a million and a half barrels of oil out of the ground every day, our gas prices are over $5 a gallon here. But, it's still more efficient in our climate to have one 4X4 truck than a truck and a small, fuel-efficient car.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 61
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/8/2008 10:40:14 AM
Some people aren't waiting for GM to catch up with the 21st century:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aerocivic-how-drop-your-cd-0-34-0-a-290.html
A lot of those mods can be applied to existing vehicles for little effort or cost. Change of driving habits also helps more than most appreciate.
 faithnoman
Msg: 64
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/8/2008 5:52:21 PM

huukdonfoniks wrote:

The back seat of my car is rarely occupied. I guess I should have purchased a 2 seater.

I live alone in a house that has 4 bedrooms. I should have purchased a 1 bedroom cottage and had the occasional friend sleep on the kitchen floor.

I have a fishing pole I only use a few times a year. Guess I'd be better off renting since it just sits there most of the time.

What a ludicrous thread.

This makes more sense than anything the OP has said.
 faithnoman
Msg: 65
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/8/2008 5:56:22 PM
..and again, I agree with the OP about huge gas guzzling trucks and SUV's being rather silly(esp now with the prices at the pump) - I was just wondering where the his seemingly "nazi" mentality came from, because that's how I(and many other people, I'm sure) percieve it.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 69
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/9/2008 1:22:32 AM
Only a couple of folks on this thread have touched on the best solution: drive an economy car for every day, have a truck for the rare times you need a truck.

I know, many will say they can only afford one vehicle, but that depends on how new you need your vehicle(s) to be. It's easy to buy two good used vehicles for the cost of one new or almost new one, and these days gas-guzzling trucks are selling at bargain prices.

To directly answer the OP's original question, my Tacoma only rolls when it either has or is about to have a bed full of firewood or other cargo. That would be about 3 percent of the times I drive somewhere. The rest of the time I drive my Prius, which while lacking in ground clearance, has enough room inside to haul two kayaks and two kayakers, or a table saw, or if you fold the seats flat there's plenty of space to make a bed.

The Tacoma is ten years old and has 180,000 miles on it, most of them put on by the previous owner. The Prius I bought during a period when I was making enough money to afford it - the only new car I ever have bought and probably ever will buy. Before that I owned a succession of small used economy cars that got 35-40 mpg, as well as one of the predecessors of my Tacoma. I started that habit when I was making less than $20 k per year but on the road a lot, so it's quite possible to do on a limited budget.

But in reality, it's really not about money. People will drive what they want to drive for whatever reasons they choose to justify their purchase choice by.

I too have scratched my head at all the guys in suits I see commuting in their spotlessly clean trucks, just as I am amused by all the folks who claim they 'need' four wheel or all wheel drive, when they drive the same places many of us used to go in two wheel drive vehicles back before there were many 4x4 options to be had.

I offer my experience just to show it's possible to have the best of both worlds, not to pass judgment on those who make different choices. The OP has already experienced the kick-back from overly judgmental posts. Soon enough vehicle purchasers will be re-assessing their needs as they try to factor ever rising fuel costs into their purchasing decisions.

Dave
 TimPommell
Msg: 71
view profile
History
PickUp Trucks run Empty
Posted: 6/9/2008 7:17:48 AM
I think the OP is having more of an issue with fuel demand than anything else... because no one else seems to be curtailing their fuel consumption, he's forced to pay higher prices for his 12 month a year weekend excursions to the mountains for recreation.
Common sense dictates that people purchase vehicle types based on needs more so than wants. For me, as a true conservative (meaning I conserve my cash and waste very little) the decision is easy. Kids are grown; don't need a mini-van or an SUV. While in construction, I don't have to haul materials so I don't need a truck. In selecting an automobile, I look for the usual attributes:
Customer satisfaction - who wants something nobody liked when they bought it?
Economy - If I can't afford to drive it, then I can't afford to buy it.
Options - Sadly I do have a list of "must haves" as far as options.
Price - Again, if it fits within my budget and meets the rest of the criteria....
Versatility - If I need to transport more than people or groceries can I do it comfortably?
Style - DUH, nobody goes out looking for the ugliest car they can afford....

When I look for a car, the first thing I cross off my list is "new".... not because I'm cheap but because I see no need in wasting precious raw materials to create something for me that already exists. The damage to the environment in extracting the raw materials to build and transport the vehicle to my area has already been done to satisfy someone else’s egotistical need for "new".

For the record, I drive a mustang convertible that gets 25 MPG, and as a second car for my children to use when they visit I have an older mustang that gets 27MPG. For recreation or when a site visit doesn't require business attire I simply get on my motorcycle that gets 45MPG and scoot. I don't sit around lecturing people about their transport choices while maintaining a vehicle designed solely around my weekend recreational activities rather than consideration for fuel efficiency ... i.e.; I don't select my automobile based on it's ability to haul toys into the mountains on weekends.

By the way, I think it's hypocritical to spend ones career creating these gas guzzling monster trucks only to spend ones retirement criticizing those who purchased them. Did anyone else notice the OP failed to address the questions about whether he utilized 100% of his vehicles capacity, or the damage he does to the environment through emissions for recreation?

Typical left wing liberal hypocrisy, do as I say, not as I do....
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > PickUp Trucks run Empty