Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Racist...just kidding?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 2
Racist...just kidding?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well, assuming he's from Georgia (IE: The "south"), the concept of an intelligent and pretty woman probably intimidates him. The fact that you probably aren't 'like him' just gives him an excuse to lash out and be a douche.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 3
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:38:25 AM
How incredibly rude! Block the SOB! I would report him to admin. I believe that kind of remark is a violation of site rules. If it isn't, it certainly should be. I, too, would be shocked if I were to receive such an IM. Consider the source. He is obviously an ignorant pig who is beneath contempt. I'm sorry you had to be exposed to this insult.
 lucilou
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 5:27:33 AM
Some men and women e-mail me that I am using my daugther's pictures to get a man, or my pictures taken 15-20 yrs ago and that I am cheating on my profiles, I dont even have a daugther. My response was, "you are darn right, what you gonna do about it?" People can't accept the truth at times lol. Some pof has met me already in person and can have a testimonial of my pictures. Some men and women don't have better thing to do with their life. So dont worry about it, you are not ugly. Lucilou
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 8
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:29:59 AM
I think you got a nut, to be honest - sometimes you talk to someone online who's just certifiable (but at least you don't have to ask them why they're single, right?)

Off topic: I think you are absolutely gorgeous, I'd be Indian in a minute (I am part American Indian, but I mean India). I love the skin color, awesome facial features and dark shiny hair of Indian women and I am extremely jealous of them!! I think that guy just said stupid stuff because he was tonguetied! : )
 URLOVEY
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 9:11:51 AM
Sounds like the little boys in grammer school who would pull on girls pony tail cause they "liked" the girl....
Either way he is an ass!
 OutMind
Msg: 13
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 9:55:08 AM
The reality is that racism is alive and well. Sometimes it hides behind humor, sometimes it hides behind political correctness, sometimes it hides behind the semantics of new laws aimed at segregation, separation and alienation. We use names to define the "You people" as if they were not humans but things. Yet become offended when someone calls a person engaging in this behavior racist.

Yet the opposite can be as ignorant. One of my bosses said not to call some people Mexicans, that it may offend them. So I told him, how would you feel if I told people not to call you American because it may offend you? Still, he didn't understand.

Anyway, I think you making this post is admirable, for we have the tendency to look the other way when hit with hypocrisy and racism. We like to think is a thing of the past, in some book about Martin Luther King, yet is here, right now and practiced not just by one race, but many others.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 17
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 11:23:48 AM
Don't sweat that small stuff. He really liked your looks, just used the wrong way to approach you. Some people don't know how to approach people they like and think bad humor would do.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 11:45:05 AM

He was actually hispanic, I believe. I just was shocked that he out of all people would say something like that.

You should never assume that because someone may come from a background that may expose them to racism that they are not capable of being racists themselves. I have a mixed background and I can tell you...I've experienced just as much ignorance from non-whites as whites.
I find it amazing that there STILL this underlying idea in society that whites are the the only ones capable of racist thoughts or remarks. And that any member of a minority is incapable of racism, or that it's almost permissable for non-whites to be prejudiced because of the years of oppression they have endured.

In any case, this guy is a jerk. Block and delete!
 OutMind
Msg: 21
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:05:25 PM
So you going to UGA?
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:17:20 PM
"I know not all whites are racist. I did not imply that at all."

I never said you implied that all whites were racist.

"I'm in the South, so many would assume it was a white man who was racist. I know non-whites can be racist too, and I have experinced racism from Indian people as well. I just think people who come from a background where racism exist should try and understand. "

But that's exactly my point. In my experience, there is a general, almost automatic assumption that any minority is almost incapable of being racist because, oftentimes being the victims of racism themselves, they must automatically understand and should "know better." But as you know already, this isn't necessarily true. I just hope that other people out there realize this as well.

Jim07
Msg: 27
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:29:27 PM
I'll bet he 'thought' he was being cute. Sure looks like it backfired! Don't follow up
and move on. Good luck!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 29
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 2:14:19 PM
If he is hispanic and living in Georgia, he has probably experienced alot of racist comments like that himself. Maybe by now, he thinks it's normal? I had a student from Mexico in my ESL class who went to a boy's academy in Georgia and the sort of comments he would get on a daily basis were pretty incredible, and they weren't always meant with bad intent.

In LA, people may be ignorant, but they're more comfortable with racial differences. ..unless they're pretty solidly racist. In Georgia, from the few people I've know from there, both white and minority, it seems like they just don't know what to do in the face of differences of any kind. They're so uncomfortable, it's like they HAVE to mention it, even if they don't have anything particular to say.

It must be a pretty boring world outlook to have.
 OutMind
Msg: 31
Racist...just kidding?
Posted: 6/6/2008 3:00:21 PM

In LA, people may be ignorant, but they're more comfortable with racial differences. ..unless they're pretty solidly racist. In Georgia, from the few people I've know from there, both white and minority, it seems like they just don't know what to do in the face of differences of any kind. They're so uncomfortable, it's like they HAVE to mention it, even if they don't have anything particular to say.

This is very true. Interestingly enough, if you live in Atlanta, it is pretty cool, but the moment you gravitate towards the outside counties it is horrible. My brother was thrown in jail for going 15 miles over the speed limit. He drives a Lexus but looks dark and very hispanic. But it was at the discrepancy of the cop. In the same county, 3 years later, my brother's gf, who is very pretty, but very latina, ran over a stop sign and what did they do? Threw her in jail because they said that her international driver's license had to be fake. So, discrimination and profiling is very, very real.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Racist...just kidding?