Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Hellraiser I and II were great, after that... well...
 Vancer
Msg: 9
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?
Posted: 6/13/2008 4:42:40 PM
Shaun of the Dead was very fun to watch.
Although there is one scene I didn't like at all.
Where the zombies get the one guy and tear him apart.
Bleck.
Their other movie Hot Fuzz was just as fun and just as dark.
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/13/2008 8:12:35 PM
I liked "American Werewolf In London" and Kathy Bates scared the hell out of me in "Misery". Bela Legosi (spelling?) will always give me the creeps in "Dracula", and I really liked "Bram Stoker's Dracula" with Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins.
 Miss G
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/14/2008 8:28:40 PM
Hitchcock's style of real violence taking place off screen and in your imagination is classic. Anything else is special effects, not sheer terror.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/14/2008 8:48:20 PM
Shaun of the dead-Funny yet considered scary

That has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen, it was not even funny let alone scary.........You guys are all too young it seems to remember the old black and white horror movies.........You can't beat the Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Hitchcock horror movies. Oldies, but classic horror, you can't beat those!!
 edmonfella
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/15/2008 8:34:56 PM
28 days later.... the best zombie film ever...
 RSwindol
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2008 4:45:58 AM
Personally, I think they all suck.
I can't remember the last time that I saw a really good horror film. They are way to cheesy for me.

If you like the Cheesy horror stuff though, there is a movie you may want to check out. It's called "Behind The Mask: the rise of Lesly Vernon". It's a funny, yet dark twist on cheesy horror films.

For old farts like myself, classics are still in black and white.

Come on, you don't think that movies like "Caddyshack" and "The Jerk" are classics? Or how about the "Superman" or "Star Wars" movies? These were all in color, but I don't know many people who would consider them not to be classics.
 johnny7103
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/17/2008 3:25:55 PM
zombie movies. all the most recent ones and the old black and white one with sidney portier.
 gjay1
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/4/2008 2:51:26 AM
You can't beat the Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Hitchcock horror movies. Oldies, but classic horror, you can't beat those!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what she said lol !!!
but really shaun of the dead is hysterical- and it is in the comedy section at our local store! also hysterical is a japanese cult classic which ive lost and been looking for is "an erotic ghost story" -so funny/horror - lol depends on your point of view i guess
i loved the "deadly earnest" programs when i was a kid-cant remember a thing about them now but they were a fave then!
any of stephen kings is great-and the freddie /jason genre is always good for a nights entertainment
the saw movies-after the 1st one it was all too much of the same thing-lost me a bit lol
 Brieep
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/5/2008 3:27:08 PM
It's about time someone mentioned Evil Dead, I'm shocked no one said it before. It is, after all, a staple in the American horror movie greats. Bruce Campbell as Ash, lol it doesn't get any better then that.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 3:57:40 PM
1.) Avoid any films that are "remakes" or "re-imaginings" or "re-visitings" (or whatever silly stupid names directors are using nowadays, as if we are too stupid to figure out a re-make when we see one). The originals are always better.
2.) Avoid any sequels to horror films after part 2 (although I would make an exception to the third "Nightmare on Elm Street", which was way better than the second one).

That being said.....

I tend to go more for the "hybrid" movies--horror/comedy. " The Lost Boys" and "American Werewolf in London" are two perfect examples.

The first two "Hellraiser" films scared the bejeezus out of me. Also any films that have an exorcism in it (b/c I'm Catholic and believe that stuff can actually happen), also loved the original Japanese version of "The Grudge" (that creepy woman crawling down the stairs still freaks me out). Any early stuff with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are high on the list.

One of the scariest? Stephen King's "It." Tim Curry as Pennywise still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

BikerBiker53
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 10:01:59 AM
I have to say,..most of the stuff "Labled" , HORROR these days,..is mostly Drivil,....and simply Mind Fodder,.....something to keep you on your couch, off the streets, and out of trouble,...not careing of the real problems we face in real life,....(not Reel Life)

But to question as to which Horror Movies were best,...you just have to go back to the Original Black and White Masters,...
DRACULA,...
THE MUMMY,...
THE WOLF MAN,...
FRANKENSTEIN,...
THE INVISIBLE MAN,...
DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE,...
THE CORPSE VANISHES,...
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA,...
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME,...etc
 yna6
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/14/2008 7:44:35 AM
I've found that most "horror" films today rely on the gore factor, rather than leaving things to the imagination...which can be far worse than actually seeing it in full blood-splattered colour up on the big screen.
The idea of some of the old B+W films of scaring the crap out of you by allowing your own imagination to run a bit is still used...but not near as much. I remember seeing "Curse of the Mummies Tomb" (Boris Karloff), where the mummy isn't seen for quite awhile. You do see bandages unravelled being dragged out a doorway...makes you squeamish wondering WTH?? Not to mention when they DO finally show him in his full glory! How about using shadows? You don't see Drac actually sinking his fangs into a victim...you hear a scream, then see a shadow...creepy stuff.
I think to really appreciate some of the horror films, you have to see the old ones, simply to have the comparisons of special effects, and timely drama. The music scores can be haunting...remember the theme from Jaws? I think almost everyone does!
Just saw the Halloween remake...and found it somewhat superior to the original. A little more background, and a bit more insight into Micheal himself...I felt it added to it overall, rather than being detrimental to the whole idea.
 yna6
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:07:37 AM
Howcome nobody mentions "Killer Klowns From Outer Space"? Or "Poultrygeist?" (no...it is NOT a typo...) These are "classics" too!
 keyman11
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:52:11 AM
Dawn of the dead 2004 remake. Nothing beats this one.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:43:40 PM
I loved The Descent. It was terrifying and original.

Nutt
 jed456
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:49:00 PM
Night of the living dead the original,Dawn of the dead[2004]
audition
them both one from 1954 with giant ants I know sounds hokey and them 2008 a french horror movie
Dog soldiers great werewolf movie
already mentioned The descent I read a descent 2 is coming out .cabin fever
The last man on earth vincent price and I am legend.
28 Day's later and 28 weeks later
shivers
deathwatch
the mist
bug
old boy
basket case

thanks for starting the thread love all types of movies.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:42:53 AM
Horror movies today tend to be very formulaic and lots of special effects. Nothing left to the imagination. There are SOME good ones, but there are rare.

When I was 5, and my younger brother was 3, we watched Salem's Lot as a family. He didn't sleep for 3 nights. I've NEVER heard of anyone doing that from a horror film.

I've seen some really scary horror films, like Paper Chase from the 1970s, or The Hand from the 1930s. The Hand is really, really scary, because you cannot see it in the camera view, until "it's too late!" However, it's remake with Michael Caine is also very good.

However, I really like Phantasm I and II, with The Tall Man. That really freaks me out. So does Christine. There is something about a psychopathic, invincible car hell bent on killing you and your friends, that really scares me. Anything from the Aliens series or the Predator series is fantastic, except for Aliens vs Predator. That's just a p*ss-take.

I saw a pretty good one a few years ago.Its called Deep Rising.Its about a cruise ship that gets taken over by a sea monster that slowly devours everyone on board.Its from 1998 I think.
That one is absolutely fab. I've watched it several times, and I still enjoy it.

I would look at both genres, but remember that the scariest ones seem to be the earlier ones, and the earlier the better.
 tjrogelio
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 11:47:43 PM
I like the ones from the 30s. To me, the ones from the 80s are the modern horror movies.
 la-guerra
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:37:53 PM
There is a movie called "Joshua" About these pre teen boys who kidnapped a baby boy and raised him to be evil. Then it goes on to tell what happens when the boys grow up and what happended to the baby boy. It was really freaky! And was a twist at the end. Low budget horror film, I think from the 80's. If u are a true horror fan check it out if u can find it. My very favorite horror film is Rob Zombies House of a Thousand Corpses! And Steven Kings The Mist was really good. ohh, Can't forget, it is called the "Frontieres" It is in spanish w/ subtitles. kinda like Hostle, but better!
 la-guerra
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/28/2008 5:46:18 PM
(28 days later.... the best zombie film ever...) The 2nd one was better. "28 Weeks Later"
 Pyro74
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 6:21:13 PM
I can't believe no one's mentioned 'Event Horizon'.
It's an early 90's SciFi/Horror pic, starring Lawrence Fishburn and Sam Neil. It's a really scary and disturbing movie that will stay with you for a few days after viewing it. There is one gnarly scene where the rescue crew un-scrambles the ships video log. It shows some pretty messed up stuff happening to the orignal crew.
 Vancer
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/26/2008 1:43:41 AM
^ The original Psycho gave me nightmares for a long time. I found it hard not to keep opening my eyes when trying to sleep, just to check that I was still alone.
 darkhorse723
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2008 8:30:18 AM
I don't quite know if it'd be classified as horror, but I just watched a movie called Funny Games that had the psychological mind terror pretty strong. I find that as I get older, the "slasher" genre seems more and more stale.
 TrinityJ
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/26/2008 8:30:25 AM
Nosferatu is a great flick. I agree that the older horrors are better. Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are great. and i have to agree with Rick. Ju-on and ringu are incredibly freaky, but great.

Think blindness will be freaky? They call it a dramatic thriller. I don't know where that lies. I guess if people get slaughtered, its a horror
http://www.movietrailerlive.com/ct_0002_BlindnessAC
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?