Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andyaa
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It appears that having your say means absolutely fcuk all nowadays as it looks like they will plough ahead and ratify the treaty regardless of what the majority of people want.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?
Posted: 3/4/2014 2:37:07 AM
The Scottish question won't go away. Here's why.

If the Scots do vote for devolution, we will probably have a permanent Tory government in England. And a number of huge problems to face post devolution (currency, defence, tax, liabilites v assets etc)

If the Scots don't go for devolution they will get more devolved powers. So called Devo Max would leave the UK government controlling just defence and foreign policy. It could happen. Right at the moment all 3 main parties are working out how much more power they should devolve to the Scots.

Whichever way it goes politicians will do as they always do and try to gather more power to themselves, thats what Alex Salmond will be doing regardless.

Of course the quid pro quo must be a reduction of Scottish influence in Westminster. It can't be right that Scottish MPs can vote on English health matters but English MPs cannot vote on the same for Scotland. (and include Northern Ireland and Wales in the discussion).

So let's say if the Scots say no, but get increased devolution, whilst at the same time accepting that Scottish MP's aren't allowed to vote on purely English matters. You could then have a Labour government returned with the help of the Scots, Irish and Welsh who can't actually rule in England on English matters because the Tories have the most English MPs and would outvote them. So you have a government in office but not in power.

And what happens if you extend the same devolution to Wales and Northern Ireland. You could then have a UK labour government which is really now only concerned with English matters being foisted on the English voters who actually voted for a Tory government.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2014 3:32:01 AM
Ah the upcoming referendum up here in jockoland. Should we stay or should we go? Will englandshire miss us?
And indeed will the uk forum become the forum of england and wales incorporating the independant
scottish forum and the ever popular billy and tims northern ireland forums? Although to be fair we should get a vote
on a scottish independant forum.
Well through my door last night came a 12 page newspaper from the yes campaign. Now IF you were inclined so
and believed everything you read then a yes vote is a foregone conclusion. It contained pledges (yes i know how
often have we heard that?).

Now this is a very important pledge. An implementation of a written constitution. Our rights are not protected just
now because the uk does not have a constitution. Here are what those asked in the newspaper are asking for.
A right to a free education, protecting islands communities, womens rights, free healthcare guarentee, an end of the
badroom tax, ensuring rural communities have a say and two things i have a problem with. Immigration
and 'human rights'. Both are very vague and to me are money making industries innit? I
f anyone is interested there is this site below which has a question and answer type thing over a whole range of subjects

http://www.scotreferendum.com/questions-and-answers/

As for me? Well it's head v heart in the independence cup final. Head being a surprising finalist because
it never usually performs well. I can though say i am as yet undecided as i have a problem with being in
the eu (although that problem will admittedly still be there independence or not) and a problem with
immigration.

As for a referendum on the eu i do not think there will be one. Millipede has rather democratically said 'no you wont get one because
we know whats best ' cameron will try to buy time. This is his big election winner.
The nonce party will sink without trace hopefully. Well done cleggy.
But the forthcoming euro elections could throw a spanner into the complete eu works. If the populist nationalist
parties across europe can keep the vote they already have then it gives them a good base for future elections.
As they are getting nothing but the usual sneer and smear and yawn nazi, fascist hysteria then any increase in votes
or mep's then expect draconian laws passed from brussels because dissent will not be tolerated in the eu utopia.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2014 4:18:50 AM
I used to be English and British but now I'm just English.

I'm fed up with the Scots Irish and Welsh blaming me for everything and I'm fed up of your anti English racism . I'm sorry about the Highland clearances and the potato famine and the Welsh slag heaps and whatever other perceived failings I have apparently heaped on you but it's not my fault. I wasn't there.

I hope the Scots do decide to leave. If I was a Scot that's what I would vote for simply because I want to be closer to the decision making process. so listen to your heart Vlad.

Please take your oil with you, it's likely to prove to be small beer compared to the natural gas reserves now being found in England which I don't want to share with you. And your banks especially RBS, go on take them, free gift from the English taxpayer.

btw - all those promises are meaningless because 1) they're made by politicians and 2) you want to be in the EU.
 mrec2370
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 2:45:11 PM
oh the system is worried and the biased broadcasting company!

vote ukip do the opposite the 3 headed beast wants.
the natives are rebelling and showing their anger in the ballot box trust me the so called elite are defecating themselves into a panic.
anyone born after 1957 had no say over europe why is that?.
"the sound of silence" song says it all.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2014 4:07:14 PM
Where is democracy when we are dictated too? Democracy is the most powerful thing there is. That will never happen no matter if your Jo van or Putin or Norway.
The sooner we except that while doing our best to achieve it then the less unhappy we will be with our lot
 GeordieColin
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2014 4:35:16 PM
^^^ But it is not an issue of being your age. A democracy is not about being able to decide everything in your life. It is about society as a whole having its say on everything important to society. We still have to live by rules.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2014 5:39:21 PM
Did the Swiss not vote recently using true democracy?
Enough signatures were gained to have a vote on stopping more migrants entering switzerland as the infrastructure could not cope.
They, the Swiss folk said yep we have enough economic migrants. What happened?
Oh you cannot do that said brussels sanctions will be needed against you. Even though you are not a member state.
So the poor voters got their true democracy vote only to be told by unelected faceless liberal elitists from the eu that they are getting a slap for being democratic.

So where exactly is the line where your vote counts drawn then?
I hope the euro hating nationalists do well just to give a good shoeing to the corrupt rodents now in charge.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?