Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 1
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
http://www.health-fx.net/sugar.html

Here is some info on this, let me know your thoughts and ideas on this and if there is any better info about this topic...
 _Icon_
Msg: 3
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 9:05:04 AM
No sugar for me, thanks.

I seldom consume artificial sweeteners, either. I do very rarely indulge in a Vanilla Coke Zero, but when I say rarely I mean it.

Aspartame is lethal.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 4
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 10:12:02 AM
Ok does anyone have any info about the artificial suars ?
 satx78218
Msg: 5
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 11:56:04 AM
"Nothing wrong with a tea spoon in your tea, or a table spoon on your cornflakes,"

nothing wrong without it, either. :)
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 6
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 12:51:43 PM
Hmmmm ok well here is another article which relates

http://www.thepeopleschemist.com/view_learning.php?learning_id=4

have a read and let me know what you think...this guys info is amazing. i read his book ...

Health myths exposed

have a good one
 redwood34
Msg: 7
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 9:49:58 PM
I agree with Diceman68. I use whole leaf organic stevia if I need a sweetener, as it won't cause tooth decay or cause diabetes like sugar will. I don't touch aspartame, splenda, or saccharin or other stuff like that.
 AggieAmes07
Msg: 8
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 9:57:55 PM
Just FYI, diabetes is NOT caused by sugar!
 redwood34
Msg: 9
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/17/2008 11:47:34 PM
Consuming too much sugar is a risk factor for getting diabetes, as is being too overweight and not exercising, among other things. Am I wrong?
From what I understood, consuming too much sugar over a long enough period of time puts a lot of strain on the pancreas and yo can develop insulin resistance and weight gain. So while sugar alone in moderation doesn't cause diabetes, consuming too much too often can be a factor in developing diabetes especially if you have other risk factors such as being sedentary(not exercising), overweight, etc.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 10
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 5:31:12 AM
I use whole leaf organic stevia if I need a sweetener, as it won't cause tooth decay or cause diabetes like sugar will. I don't touch aspartame, splenda, or saccharin or other stuff like that

This is a great replacement for sugar. I would fully agree with it. It not only replaces sugar but it does not cause havoc in your body like sugar can nor as addictive as sugar is. Sugar over all is an awful thing for anyone to put in their body. TRying to make excuses that its not that bad for you nor does not cause this or that ....

TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT AMERICA....the FATTEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

THERE IS A REASON THEY CONSUME OVER 150lbs of sugar

Addicts will always say alil bit wont hurt....think about it..do the test and see how long you can go with any sugar what so ever...and be honest with your self....potates...white bread...white rice..juice and even fruits if im correct.
(no need to mention fizzy drinks :P )

http://www.northword.ca/connections/Past_Issue/spring%2002/stevia.html

http://www.healthmyths.net/view_learning.php?learning_id=24

another article
 satx78218
Msg: 11
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:31:01 AM
Low carb nutrition is the best way to lose weight and maintain leanness.

For all the scorn and ridicule heaped on low-carb, ketogenic Atkins diet, it's the diet that maintains the most weight loss for the longest time in diet comparison studies. I'm not promoting anything about the Atkins diet beyond the low-carb aspect (high fat, high protein).

http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohydrates/scientific_evidence_low_grains.htm

I consider all soft drink companies to be as criminal as cigarette mfrs.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 12
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:49:17 AM
What about sucralose? its basically sugar, but much more sweeter. and yes I always try to stay away from aspartame.
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:11:27 AM
"sucralose"

a synthetic chemical.

If man made it, don't put it your mouth
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 14
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 2:12:50 PM
My ex brother in law thought fat was the enemy while ingesting tons of sugar

Actually it's the sugar that causes the fat to do harm

AggieAmes07
Msg: 15
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 2:41:33 PM
There are other ways to get fat than sugar...y'all know that right? Just because a person consumes sugar (in whatever amount) doesn't mean he/she will get diabetes. My dad was not a big sugar fan at all. Guess what! He got diabetes. Why? He was overweight and ate horribly. People with diabetes can actually completely resolve it just by loosing weight and eating a BALANCED diet (none of this cut out a big chunk of one of the major nutrient groups crap). Too much of a good thing (whatever it is-carbs, proteins, fats, etc.) is what does it. Just because blood glucose levels are elevated doesn't mean it's sugar that's causing it.
 Fleur_de_Lis
Msg: 16
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/18/2008 2:47:40 PM
True - I was talking more about heart disease

My step dad is diabetic from being overweight - and I love sweets and don't have diabetes

Phoebus2k9
Msg: 17
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/19/2008 5:23:05 AM
Ok well with that said all i can reply to that is, it sounds like addiction excuse for what you love consuming.

Its like trying to come of heroin after years of use. Goodluck but most (i am saying most) people can not stop eating sugar. Do keep in mind sugar is in alot alot of the everyday foods we eat. Even thoe your not eating something like a candy bar,candy,donuts etc.....does not mean the foods you eat do not turn into sugar Ex white breat, white rice etc...

Anyways

I read something recently that said artificial sweeteners aren't "bad" in themselves

To this all i can say is do some further research, of course they are going to say that. If that was the case why is all those kind of sweetners banned from Japan in the 70's.

http://www.vegsource.com/davis/sweeteners.htm
 AggieAmes07
Msg: 18
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:08:19 AM
So just because there's sugar in things we should stop eating them? Should we stop drinking milk because of lactose? How 'bout stop eating fruit and veggies because of fructose? Sugar isn't the enemy. Addictive personalities and those with no self control are.

Using Japan is a BAD example when it comes to food. They have EXTREMELY EXTREMELY overcautious food policies. They freak out over ANY little thing and are even better at shutting down imports because of any tiny little thing even if it's absolutely, no matter what not a health risk. So let's try to use a less anal country. If Japan had this current salmonella outbreak in tomatoes, not a single person would be eating tomatoes right now and probably wouldn't again for another 10 years. My gosh, it's just the squirts for a little bit.
 satx78218
Msg: 19
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/19/2008 9:03:27 AM
"So just because there's sugar in things we should stop eating them"

Yes.

Eat raw whole foods, they come with no-sugar-added.

"Should we stop drinking milk because of lactose?"

Industrial milk is actually only food-like substance, not Real Food. Lactose intolerance is hardly the only reason not to drink industrial milk. Note that the FDA is shutting down raw milk supply. And Monsanto is trying to get removed the declaration on milk packaging that the milk came from Monsanto-hormoned cows.

"How 'bout stop eating fruit and veggies because of fructose?"

Natural complex sugars are different from processed white sugar and HFCS. When taken in the matrix of all the other components of fruit and veggies, fructose is not harmful.

"Sugar isn't the enemy"

... yes, it is. Carbohydrates are not even essential nutrients.

"Addictive personalities and those with no self control are."

... totally different issue.

However, why do you think sugar and salt (and synthetic flavor/color enhancers) are added to nearly all food-like substances in the grocery store? To subvert your sense of taste so that sweet and salt become your preference, so that you keep coming back for more, so that natural foods taste bland without added salt/sugar. Addictive? Yes, in a way, but not like the strong addiction of nicotine, alcohol, cocaine, meth.

Japan. Anal. Your comments are too silly to merit response.
 Ideoform
Msg: 20
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/19/2008 11:33:20 PM
Have you read "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty?
 umm...Dave
Msg: 22
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/20/2008 12:54:36 PM

"So just because there's sugar in things we should stop eating them"

Yes.

Wow, that's pretty cut and dry.
Yet then you go on to say this

Natural complex sugars are different from processed white sugar and HFCS. When taken in the matrix of all the other components of fruit and veggies, fructose is not harmful.

So which is it, I should eat nothing with any sugar in it, or I should eat nothing with added sugar? Or maybe just added white sugar? Some thing add fructose, so I am confused now.

What you are saying is that all sugar is bad. period.

Except for some sugar.

Good argument.

I am pretty sure that you spout off about all sorts of things that you haven't actually researched, yes you have read about things, but I don't think you actually understand what you read. First off you don't want me eating meat, now I am not supposed to eat sugars, and by association, starches, which means most fruits and vegetables are out too. I am not going to eat soy because I like being a man.
So this leaves me with what? Celery? Dirt possibly, as long as it isn't dirt that any animal has ever touched because then I will get salmonella and die.

I totally agree that refined sugar isn't something we should be purposefully adding to our diets, but I am pretty sure that regardless of if I eat meat, processed sugar, dirt, or nothing at all, I am gonna die one day, and I can either make that journey as fun and enjoyable as possible or I can be anal retentive and die miserable and preachy.

I personally prefer being awesome to being vegan.
 satx78218
Msg: 23
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/20/2008 1:08:26 PM
"so I am confused now"

fully agreed, and that's your problem, not mine. RIF

"What you are saying is that all sugar is bad."

Those are your words, not mine.

"I can either make that journey as fun and enjoyable as possible or I can be anal retentive and die miserable and preachy"

false opposition, weak point, even pointless. Wanna try again?

and what's the "anal retentive" mean? I'd like a complete definition, examples, the origin of the phrase. Come on, now, don't be "anal retentive" with your answer.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 25
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/20/2008 1:28:25 PM
Maybe anal retentive wasn't the right choice of words, although you do seem to care way too much about things that, in the large picture, don't really matter all that much.
As I said, we are all going to die, it doesn't matter what we do or do not eat, drink or smoke. I choose to stay away from the smoking and the drinking because I don't like it, I do however enjoy a nice bloody steak sitting beside a potato loaded with butter, sour cream and bacon bits and to deny myself that enjoyment based on the argument of "you might not be quite as healthy as if you ate other less enjoyable foods" is pretty silly indeed.

My confusion was with you flip flopping on your statements. You did indeed say that all sugar is bad, if you will refer to your previous post you might notice it in there , then you said that fructose (a sugar) isn't harmful, so which is it? RIF indeed.

But you also never answered my question about what foods I am allowed to eat, if all these foods are bad for me, then what sugarless meatless food is left?
 satx78218
Msg: 27
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/20/2008 3:27:07 PM
"You did indeed say that all sugar is bad"

I did indeed. Sugar as defined by the link the OP provided, where NOWHERE were the natural carbs in fruit mentioned. I did not flip flop.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 28
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:02:54 AM
Ah, more Urban Legends.

Sugar is sugar is sugar. How fast sugar is metablized depends on how the sugar is mixed in a meal. Fat and fiber slows down the absorption of sugar, thus avoiding insulin spikes an hour or two after eating.

This is why nutritionists will tell you that natural sugars, like those in fruits are better for you -- because the fruit also contains natural fiber.

As AggieAmes07 mentioned, diabetes is not caused by sugar, about 90 percent of it is caused by a genetic predisposition plus obesity.

Consuming too much sugar is a risk factor for getting diabetes, as is being too overweight and not exercising, among other things. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong about the sugar part. It's being overweight and being sedentary that are risk factors for diabetes. When you eat too much your pancreas tries to compensate by making more insulin. Eventually the pancreas becomes overwhelmed and cannot do the job anymore, and then pancreatic beta cells start to die. That's how people become diabetic.

See: A Prospective Study of Sugar Intake and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Women.
Janket SJ, et al. Diabetes Care. 2003 Apr;26(4):1008-15.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/4/1008

High consumption of meat and starches is the cause of diabetes. North Americans eat way too much meat especially red meat.

No, overconsumption of any kind PLUS a genetic predisposition to diabetes is the cause. Not all fat people will become diabetic (although all will get some kind of disease evetually from their increased body weight).

About 2/3 of people in the United States are overweight to obese, but less than 10 percent of the population has diabetes.
 satx78218
Msg: 30
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/21/2008 1:14:23 PM
Here's the fascinating, if curious, website for the above:

http://biomedx.com/zeta/index.html
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????