Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you ever get bored with dating, sex, and everything else?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 3
Do you ever get bored with dating, sex, and everything else? Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
For me, it's disillusionment. I would love the longterm, committed relationship with a man I can hero worship a little.

Unfortunately, I'm tired of being misled and undervalued. Maybe time to take a break for a long while.

Nutt
 Lynsteph74
Msg: 4
Do you ever get bored with dating, sex, and everything else?
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:06:42 PM
And here I thought I was the only one with these issues! Your post makes me feel less alone in my oddness, anway, LOL.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:21:56 PM
Nope, it's pretty common I think. I'm the same way - I can take it or leave it - and I usually leave it unless someone really knocks my socks off. But for me, it's been this way forever...I was raised in a single parent home, and so it never even occured to me to seek someone out really.

I fall into relationships if they're there, but I dont seek em. It's just not my personality.

Sex is easy enough to have if I want it, so theres not much effort there, but for me, if it comes with any drama - I'll skip that, too. I'd miss it tho.
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:58:35 PM
It's a combination of boredom and frustration.

Yes - I am EXTREMELY bored with dating and meeting guys who are boring and/or don't turn me on.

On a rare occassion...I will meet someone who will make me crazy with desire to be with him.

For the most part though...I'd rather be dancing!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/19/2008 4:04:30 AM
I'm not a Buddhist but I believe pain, discomfort, whatever comes from desire. You (1) desire something, (2) can't have it or have it as you like, (3) you suffer for it.

It is liberating not to want.

I have a phrase I live by - "he who expects nothing will never be dissapointed". When I first heard it it sounded negative - but over the years I've learned it's just more of a realistic thing. If you're happy already and you enjoy your own company and you really appreciate what you have already - it brings contentment. Then, it becomes a pleasant surprise when extra comes your way instead of a disappointment when it doesn't.

My last committed relationship just happened out of friendship and it took no effort to communicate with him.

Mine all came from friendship built on attraction, but none were planned. They all happen almost naturally and accidentally. I don't search, hunt, or even "date" most times. That word even makes it sound like I'm trying to get some sort of result. I'm not.

I think the problem with a lot of single people today (and I sense this when meeting people to determine interest) is that they almost feel someone is missing and they're entitled to that person. People need to learn that the fact that what they already have a lot of people in the world aren't fortunate enough to enjoy, and what they think the world owes them is a bonus, if anything.

If I never meet anyone I click with and date romantically, then I don't - I don't think that's a loss...it'd be nice, but it's not something I feel HAS to be there. It's gravy.
 leo\leo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2008 5:14:47 AM
Its not about sex anymore you are looking for the one you had your fun but now you are looking for the one and maybe we should of did this in are 20 but wow 20 where to much fun
 that sam i am
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:08:52 AM
Sex and Dating ARE boring. That is why they are not supposed to be the be all and end all of your existence. Live, Dance, Do what you enjoy doing; and above all, Love. Dating and Sex are not always the same as love.

I love life, I love photography, I love food and I love my friends. Just simply be in the moment.

Who is forcing you to date?
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/19/2008 8:35:15 AM
Nope, never get bored with it. I plan on having as much fun with every aspect of life as I can right up until they drag my scratched and torn carcass to the broiler and make ashes out of me and then give me my final blow job from the top of a bridge over looking the lake where I will drift down and become food for those same fish that I caught for all those years!

Party On Dudes/Dudettes because there is no guarantee that we get more then one shot at this life!
 Quixotic_Heart
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/19/2008 9:39:01 AM
I didn't get bore, so much as I got tired..

Tired of answering the same questions and going over the same things again and again on dates.

Tired of meeting women who were more interested in settling down than who they were settling down with.

Yes even tired of meaningless sex, but I am not turning in my man card.

So about 3 weeks ago I decided to take a break from all of it. I took a small vacation, and then when I got back met the most amazing woman. So far she is everything I was looking for.

The old cliche about finding what you are looking for when you stop looking is definitely true in my case.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2008 12:51:00 PM
Of course most of us get bored and frustrated with the whole tedious process of dating. But its not really about the process, but what you're looking for in the end. I know for me, I'm looking to find a long term relationship eventually, and since its unlikely that she is just going to fall out of the sky and into my lap, I have to put in the time and effort to find someone, even if that means experiencing missteps and heartache along the way. You have to be able to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing, and keep in mind what the eventual goal is.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 27
Posted: 6/20/2008 12:06:29 PM

Could this be the result of advancing age? I'm 36. Could it be just plain old boredom and ennui? I've dated a lot in the last few years.

What is it?

~OP~ You typed my thoughts exactly. When I was single about 2 years (some time ago now) I frenzy-dated. It was fun, a good experience ~ but there was something missing more often than not. I have had two long-short-term relationships in the past 9 years ~ but I don't have a need to meet/greet/date. If there were a guaranteed "relationship" with someone ~ I'd probably take the option, since that doesn't happen ~ I really don't bother at all anymore. I'd like to spend my life with someone, but I've grown very comfortable in my one-ness. I don't know if it's really age, or just finally realizing that "couple-dom" isn't the end all, be all. At least not for me. (And if you are sexless long enough, it really does become old news!) JMO
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/22/2008 6:21:51 AM
I have become this way also. I like my space....some people ask with me turning 40 this year it must be a big deal....I guess due to the stereotypes of women in this age group...but age can also be just a number as long as you are confident in yourself.

Stlouis68 - I agree 40 is no big deal, it's the new 25 (umm..ok maybe 30?). I just turned 40 and it's not the terrible housecoat and roller thing it seemed to be when I was a kid. My friends and I are all bundles of energy, most of us workout regulary and eat right, have good jobs/businesses, have more fun and are generally in better shape than a lot of girls I see now in their teens and 20s, physically, financially, and mentally.

My 30s were great, but I look forward to my 40s....and as far as relationships go, i'll end up in one if it works for my life as it is now or adds to it...if not, no big deal. I got enough other stuff going on.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/24/2008 9:39:44 PM
^^^LOL
~OP~ I made it 10 days with "dating" on my profile this time. Record for me. Then the reality sank in: BLECH. I'm back to forums and "talk/email." So, yes ~ I'd say I'm bored and I haven't been on a "date" in over two years ~ I must be reaaaaaaaaaally bored this go-round!!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:27:54 AM
^^^^And people wonder why I don't meet/date.....LMAO @ klopper. Will this be a re-run story or something original???

~OP~ Bored? Positively stagnant. And it does appear there is no end in sight. I'm just happy to be here with other bored folks.
 fancynanci
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:11:52 PM
I never get bored....EVER. I just entertain myself when that happens.
 hilltop70
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/1/2008 6:14:42 PM
i get bored with the process because more often then not i find myself giving more than im getting and i find myself not wanting to be bothered and im also tired of trying to get some females attetion.
 Clean Sl8
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:02:48 PM
Well, I guess there is someone for everyone 'cuz ur the 1st man singing my song! I'd find u & marry u but I'm cool like this....
 bellazingara
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 4:18:45 PM
For me it's a combination of boredom and routine. Dating has become a chore for me which is part of the reason I'm not currently looking to date. I haven't had a dating experience that's truly wow'd me in a very long time. For the most part they've been predictable.

While I would like to be in a serious long-term relationship, I don't have a burning desire for one. I certainly don't feel any pressure to be in one. While I do feel lonely on occasion, I don't mind being alone.

I'm with you there. Life is more stress-free when I'm single.
 fancynanci
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 2:15:19 PM
Bored with sex?????????? Never
 whytwater
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:14:00 AM
Thunderous applause!!!! Bravo, Nanc, and ditto!!!
 *buzz*
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:08:04 PM
Well, sex & getting bored doesn't go together in my world but if 'slap-dash' approach & input dominates the scene , let's better call it a day. Just like someone famous once said: "Do it with joy or not at all!"
 MSII
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:59:55 AM
I dont like the FWB because of the hassle and uncertainty. Doing it just creeps me out, too.

At 38, I dont think I'm alone in this after reading your post.

After being in a long relationship without any possibility of marriage (She used every silly excuse nobody has ever heard of, like a 10-year old credit score to "want to wait" before talking about marriage, even after 11 years) it didnt exactly "jade" me, but I just wont jump in to any relationship.

I'd be willing to let a relationship mature very fast if everything is right, but just GETTING to that point seems impossible.

Add in work, school, and being a single father, and the options are not there any more.

/will die alone with many cats, who will then eat my face
 sp4rks
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 3:50:11 AM
Jim, you have hit the nail right on the head!!!! The funny thing is if they always want to take it slow then and want you to get to know them because they are not pieces of meat and would like to be in a real relationhip with someone as they have been hurt by exes. Sometimes think its a figment of their imagination, as they are unwilling to invest their time and effort if it does not have all the initial chemistry. Anything worth having takes time effort and needs to be nurtured, and more often than not the end result is wanted but not the process involved. But hey, they are our mothers, our sisters, our friends and even when we are not involved with them, we still love them.
 Sekhet
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 2:28:54 PM
Ms. Beavenhouse wrote... [I actually worry I'm going to end up the asexual cat lady who chases kids off her lawn for being too happy.]

You and me both..... though I'm not too worried about the second part... I do that already... Mawh ha ha ha... or have my dog lick them to death... Anyway... dating just seems way too stressful and I have noticed that the level of honesty and integrity have dramatically decreased these days... I have enough stress in my life thank-you very much.
 phishkev
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 3:40:21 PM
No-not bored-there's always new and exciting avenues to explore! If you are bored, then you may be prone to BEING boring...maybe it's time to shake it up a little!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you ever get bored with dating, sex, and everything else?