Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you touch on the first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newyorktomboy
Msg: 1
Do you touch on the first date?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I find when i am on a date that I like to make contact with the other person by touching their hand after talking a while if I feel comfortable. There is something in a touch that can almost send a signal if you like the person or not. Have you found that to be true?
 Karrpilot
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do you touch on the first date?
Posted: 6/22/2008 7:12:33 PM
I can not answer that. I helped a lady into her car after a date. Of course, i had to touch her. It was very icey. Her had was very soft, and it felt good. But i never saw her again. She told me the next day she did not feel anything between us, and that was that. Another time a lady was all over me touching. On the first date. I did not like that at all. I barely knew her. And certainly felt nothing for her. So i guess a touch is not exactly a barometer or signal for something more.
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 7:14:32 PM
It all depends. If the first date is dinner or coffee, it might be a bit forward to be reaching over and touching the person. If you're whitewater rafting, you're probably gonna be helping the person tighten up the life vest, which involves touching. And I certainly hope you'd touch them if they fell overboard and needed to be hauled back into the raft!
 toomuch13
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/22/2008 7:46:15 PM
I touch people when I like them, but I feel uncomfortable being touched when I don't. I had a coffee date with a guy who I did not care for and he hugged me when I did not want him to. He was married and I never saw him again, but it did bother me a bit that he grabbed at me like that.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 7:57:09 PM
Depends on the situation. One of the guys I met we had talked a lot but when we met and the quick hug would have been appropriate he was already seated in a booth and we both told each other later that we wanted to reach over and hold hands but we weren't sure it was appropriate for a first meeting.

I think if it feels comfortable and you click it is fairly normal but when things are a bit uncomfortable and you know you are probably not going to see the guy again, it would be weird probably bordering on ookie.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 11:41:36 PM
I'm still trying to live down my first date with my fellow. (why DO guys hold onto this stuff?) It wasn't my fault...
He was wearing this highly tactile shirt that just screamed touch me. My hand kept creeping out to touch him and I'd notice the sneaky, errant thing at the last second and snatch it back. Then the other one would start up. It was exhausting, I tell ya.
 newyorktomboy
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/23/2008 4:23:37 AM
Thanks for the all the interesting responses. I honestly think there are magnetic fields or what ever you want to call them between people that have a bond without even knowing it through a touch. I am not talking about mauling the person lol. I am talking about a soft touch on the hand or arm just to afirm our interest and see if there is any electricity flowing from one body to the other. I have felt it on severl occasions while on others nothing. So there has to be something to it.
 Chuck65201
Msg: 8
Do you touch on the first date response
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:26:23 AM
I do not think there is anything wrong with the simple thing of holding hands on a first date especially if you are sitting in a park or where ever to see if there might be that spark.
 fancynanci
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 1:21:20 PM
Yes...but only if there is the ZA-ZA-ZOO!!!!
 Dianne1971
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/23/2008 3:11:00 PM
I would have to say some type of physical contact must be made!
How can you feel the spark if there is no touch?! Even if it's just laying your hand on the small of her back when walking through a door!
 msflis
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/23/2008 3:35:55 PM
If I don't, it was just a meeting, not a date.

--Ms. Flis
 msflis
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/23/2008 4:22:32 PM
^^^ What she said. And if you're not sure, ask--and pay attention to the body language that accompanies a "yes," because some folks just aren't comfortable saying no even if they want to.

A good bet is that if a woman touches you beyond a handshake, she will be okay with being touched in return. But watch the way she responds; if she doesn't look happy about it, stop touching.

--Ms. Flis
 canyoufindme
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Do you touch on the first date response
Posted: 6/23/2008 4:36:23 PM
I was always taught that manners are important. When you meet someone for the first time you should at least shake their hand. If the meeting is going good and there is an essence of positive why not open your mouth and ask if you can hold thier hand or touch their arm or even kiss them. It is called communications..you can do it sometimes without saying a word too..
 afashionlady
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/23/2008 5:06:20 PM

I find when i am on a date that I like to make contact with the other person by touching their hand after talking a while if I feel comfortable. There is something in a touch that can almost send a signal if you like the person or not. Have you found that to be true?

Yes...and I get creeped out if I'm putting out signals that don't indicate I'm interested and the guy still tries...it's not that hard to figure out if someone's interested in you or not is it?
 newyorktomboy
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:45:24 PM
I agree touching someone you like and feel comfortable with is a sign to let them know you do like them. Same goes if they touch you. So here is another question. Kinda probably sounds old fashion but does everyone think women should touch first or men? I ask that because ususally if a man touches he is being too forward but if a women touches first she is being sweet. I know its sounds weird. Its not my opinion just how society thinks.
 abelian
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:33:27 AM
I leave that up to my date. If she's touching me in a friendly way (as opposed to pushing me out of the way of a speeding bus), then I'm going to kiss her goodnight and call her for a second date. Otherwise, I'll assume she's not all that interested.
 Cynderella
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:03:37 AM
I am a touchy feely person already...some read more into it.
 867love
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:46:49 AM
Duh! obviously... she's human -not kryptonite, you do have to do the quick hug thing or grasp her hand when you greet. then its the attraction factor that determines if further closeness is eminent.
 cowtrucker
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 11:37:22 AM
If they are lucky, they might get a good-night hug from me. Otherwise maybe a handshake. I'm very old fashioned and do not believe in kissing on the first date. It's all in up to you and what your partner is feeling.

Touching, either the hand, or a hug, or more means things to each of us differently. It's an invasion of a persons space and can be good or bad. A lot of times it shows affection, and if applied in just the right situation, can make or break the start. I do agree if you care about someone, find just the right way to express it.

You never know, the person who you touch their hand, might just touch your heart... With me? It's gonna take more than one date! lol

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 hotglass
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/27/2008 11:56:38 AM
Absolutely! And if they (or I, depending on the initiator) don't like it, then there's obviously not going to be a second date.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/27/2008 3:48:57 PM
Normally I am too worried about overstepping my boundaries (or more to the point, hers), so it is rare that I hold hands or touch other parts on the first date. Besides, it's a first date and I am mostly focused on conversation and getting to know each other. So unless it is a kick ass date with tons of sparks, I keep my hands to myself. If I capture her attention there will be plenty of time for touching on the 2nd date (and 3rd, 4th, etc).

I had a date recently where we went to the movies (her suggestion) and I swear all movie long I wanted to reach over and caress her leg, but never made the move. Got a second date so it probably wasn't too bad.
 FSU9144
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:23:43 PM
I don't have a problem with it on a first date. I do have a problem if keeps put his hand on my thighs. While I'm communicating with him.
 brinaalina
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:25:24 PM
Yeah, I will if I'm into you.
Let's put it this way. If I DON'T make physical contact with you, I am either grossed out by you or just plain uninterested.
I'm a flirty, kind of touchy person. So you know if I'm pulling away from any contact, I'm really not into it.
 funnygirl2no
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:37:11 AM
what does it mean if a woman puts her hand on a guys leg early on ? is this suggestive of her desire to get it on? I think it's nothing but I ve been told it's suggestive and coming on to the person / can anyone clarify please? very easy to get into trouble not knowing the unspoken language of touch. any help appreciated! as for my reaction to a new internet meeting. I do not like to be hugged or touched by a stranger. To me its creepy. Meeting a computer guy is scary enough without having to worry about where his hands are going. Rarely do i feel the need to touch my date unless I know him . one meeting doesn't qualify.
 bottleguy
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/6/2013 6:41:18 AM
As much of a prude as I am I usually at least kiss on the first date. At least on the cheek or something.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you touch on the first date?