Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > 2008 Olympics ~ Can't Wait l August!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
2008 Olympics ~ Can't Wait l August!Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
i really want to see the equestrian events. i love dressage in particular. the hunter/jumper events make me nervous!
 Bud3L33
Msg: 5
2008 Olympics ~ Can't Wait l August!
Posted: 6/24/2008 6:45:45 PM
skoochie - I read about her. At first I thougth wtf? Then I read the rest of the story. She plays in Russia, has citizenship there, and Team USA never asked her to try out. With her last hurrah, i don't entirely blame her. Anyway, the Olympics just don't seem like they used to. It isn't as patriotic as I remember growing up. Now, there are so many duel citizenships that people play for countries they weren't born in. It is almost like professional sports.

Did any one hear whether or not the double amputee sprinter qualified for the Olympics???
 nolechica
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:51:35 AM
I'm also a gymnastics and diving follower, religiously. However, this year I'd like to see fellow FSU alum Walter Dix win the 100m, so I'll be following track and field. In addition, I want a gold for our basketball team, despite the head coach. Kobe needs redemption after the Finals.
 _Icon_
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:51:35 PM
I can't help but wonder how the earthquake has affected preparations in Beijing.
 natural energy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 7:16:53 AM
I just love it all! ... All the Olympic sports!

Originally the Olympics was supposed to be for the "amateur" athletes.
I loved that notion!

Now professionals are competing.
I guess all Russian athletes are professionals with the training and financial support their athletes are given almost from birth!
So, to be able to compete, most countries do the same with their athletes.
 natural energy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 9:18:26 AM
What a beautiful lighting of the flame in the opening ceremonies!

I did not catch the full opening ceremonies .... but hopefuly will catch parts of it tonight again ...

I always get emotional at the opening ceremonies as I think of the theory of what the Olympics represents with the best amateur athletes coming together to compete in peace ......

What a great experience for all the athletes!

Unfortunately peace is not occurring all over the world as we speek ...... with a new outbreak just last night ....
 marita_b
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 12:43:46 PM
Great opening ceremony.

It was visually one of the,...if not thee,.... most stunning ceremonies EVER!!!
A little slow to watch on TV but had to have been more than your money's worth for those lucky enough to have been there,....best wishes and peace to all of the participants,...but

GO CANADA GO
 broncsbuff
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/9/2008 8:12:02 PM
ho hum....

world record by phelps...

1 gold...7 to go..

he makes it look so easy....
 broncsbuff
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:15:34 AM

It's like reality tv

sports isnt scripted like reality tv

you're just watching someone else do something.

whenever you go to a movie, whenever you watch any tv, whenever you walk down the street, are you not watching someone else "do" something?......

its way to early for this, where is my bloody mary
 blondblueyed
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/10/2008 9:07:33 AM
I thought the Opening Ceremonies were spectacular.

I never thought I'd watch a whole fencing match.

I had never watched it before either, thought it was pretty cool.

Every country seems to utilize amateur athletes except for the American basketball team. Which is pretty ironic, because all of the NBA players are going overseas to play professionally.

Not really, one of the reasons why it was such a feat for the US Hockey team to beat the Russians was because the Russian team was made up of players that played in leagues or played together before in the Olympics and “All-Star” teams in their own country. They were all “celebrities” in their own right. Many of the other countries had players that also played in leagues. The Americans were a rabble of college players or NHL “prospects” but not very high ones. Some did go on to play in the NHL. After years of petitioning the OIC “allowed” the use of “pro” players.

And, they kicked Iraq out of the Olympics.

They changed their mind and the Iraqi team is there or most of them anyway and they did march in the Parade Of Nations and they received a very hearty welcome.

Anyone see the Chinese Men’s Gymnasts? Awesome! At my age I admire anyone that isn’t afraid to put their butt over their head.

Go World!
 natural energy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 9:27:22 AM
Thank you to one "blondblueyed" to another!

I couldn't have said it better!

The "theory" of amateurs in the Olympics is great ..... but, we know that that just is not the case! Many of them are professionals!

MrTambourine, I suggest you re-read my original post about this.
Regarding the stabbing ..... I am sure there is more to the story than we have been told ..... It is terrible that is for sure! ... but, I wouldn't blame the whole Chinese population for it .... and yes, there is a lot of controversy about the chinese and human rights, etc ......... I am definitely against anyone who abuses people or animals .... as I said, it is unfortunate that we can't have the Olympics the way they are supposed to be ....... the best of the amateur athletes coming together in peace to compete! That theoretical view takes my breath away.

Written_by_Hank, I don't watch "reality tv" either .... it is what I call "non-reality tv"! ...... but I do love the Olympics ..... for the reason I say above ......

natural energy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 11:31:35 AM
Hawaiianluau,
A great example to confirm the "professionalism" of many of the Olympic athletes!
 blondblueyed
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/10/2008 1:39:58 PM

That Russian team that the "MIRACLE ON ICE" American Hockey Team beat in the Winter Olympics were not professional "Hockey" players.

The majority of the Russian players were or had been on the National Russian Team as well as playing for teams in the RSL and the Russians certainly considered that to be professional. Just because they didn’t make millions like the NHL players they weren‘t “Pros“??? Have you forgotten how Russia works? Why do you think many athletes and performers they used to defect in droves? So, they could actually make money along with their notoriety and “celebrity”. They have to hold “regular” jobs because they are not paid like pro athletes are here, think of the old Majors where lesser paid players had to work in the off season because they were not paid enough to get them through the off season.

You need to go check a few of those names on that Russian roster and see how much hockey they played and many of them played together for sometime, something the US team had not done much of before the Olympics.

I am not claiming anything, if you honestly had watched it like I did you should have known this just from the telecast because they talked about it all the way through the games. How those players were legends in Russia many had played together on the National Team and the tour by the Russian Clubs beating the NHL teams the year before and how they had crushed the NHL All-Stars, that was all they talked about. Sorry, but a couple of months training some college players to go against players that had or currently were playing for the Russian Super League isn’t quite on the same level. Sounds to me more like you consider any Professional League in another country as somehow “inferior” to American Professional Leagues if the players aren’t millionaires.
 natural energy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 2:19:11 PM
MrTambourine,
As you say! Run!
... tyring to make this a battle of the sexes just doesn't cut it!
... and please try not to stoop so low as to make personal cuts!
... it is not very becoming!
... and it only means you can't make a decent enough rationale to justify your view.
... and your post will only go

There are many others here or do get it!
... and know how to post their views without exerting personal venom ....

IMHO ... your post doesn't deserve any other response than this .. I never stoop so low as to try to discuss with someone who resorts to such childish behavior and who does not know how to discuss.
 natural energy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 6:30:09 AM
Isn't the syncrho diving great to watch? Such precision.
China, Germany, and Russia certainly dominate in the diving!

Great road races!
The women could have been paddling through that rain! ... or fishing!

Many Olympic records being broken in the swimming!
What a swimmer Michael Phelps is!

Congratulations to all the medal winners!
... and to all the competitors!
..... especially to the clean competitors!

Let the games continue in peace!
 blondblueyed
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/12/2008 12:15:24 PM

Isn't the syncrho diving great to watch? Such precision.

Very interesting, they go so fast it is hard to see the teeny tiny mistakes until they slow it down.

Many Olympic records being broken in the swimming!

Hasn’t it been awesome?!

Great races last night, too. More records being broken and especially Phelps, wish they had invited Spitz to come and present the medals to him. I would need a box of tissue. What a great performance by Piersol and the ladies were great, too.

How about the men Gymnasts hanging on to take Gold and without the twins?!

You would rather watch an MLB game ? Please one game out of 162.. or however many boring games.

Happens to be my favorite game, boring is in the eyes of the beholder.

Oh and I saw the Miracle on Ice game and the come back win against Finland live also

The Russia/Sweden game was also good. One of my favorite Olympics with another great moment of those games being Eric Heiden winning 5 golds. He and his sister rooting for each other. Unfortunately, Beth had an injury just prior, but managed to get a Bronze.

Most medals given so far, keep up the good work!!

Hopefully the Women will put on a good show in Gymnastics, they have been battling injuries.
 blondblueyed
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/12/2008 7:56:00 PM
If you get Telemundo they are airing quite a lot of the Soccer matches. You could try the NBC Olympics website and see if you are able to get any of the live streaming.

Another great swim by Michael Phelps, another world record and more Golds than any other athlete.
 broncsbuff
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/13/2008 10:56:44 AM

A good baseball player only hits the ball about 35% of the time

the hardest thing to do in sports is hitting a baseball, I dare you to go in a batters box and hit a baseball....The pitcher could even tell you what he is gonna throw, and I would bet you still couldnt hit it...

Baseball, Football etc. are played on stable ground, dead easy.

Again, I dare you to go on a football field, line up at running back and hit a hole and have someone like roy williams, john lynch, ray lewis, or shawn merriman wating for you on the other side, then tell me that football is "dead easy"

I do agree with you though, hockey is a tough ass sport to play, brutal on the body, and you have to be very athletic to play....
 natural energy
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 1:39:40 PM
To all of you who keep this thread on track and know how to discuss

To keep this thread on track, let's just ignore you know who .... who btw appears to have two profiles for one person .. imagine that ...... until the moderators catch up.

There are many great athletes at the Olympics.

China and the US have certainly been dominant thus far!
Congratulations to all the medal winners!

... athough each athlete is always trying to do their best ... it will be nice when Canada finally gets a medal! .... I still enjoy watching all the sports no matter what .... as the best wins!

The gymnasts are amazing!

Records still are being broken in swimming ...... isn't it amazing how the athletes continue to work the human body to the extremes to break these records!
Let's just hope it is without doping ...... when you see the top heavy bodies of he swimmers ... one does wonder!
 natural energy
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 2:35:26 PM

Phelps doesn't need the juice, he eats 12,000 calories a day !!

... and he has to work those calories off too!
.... and work it into muscle!
.... and he certainly has the confidence too!
.... and seems to be a good sportsman .....
 huixin
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 9:01:23 PM
track and field must be the highlight.
I like weighlifting very much .
when is track and field???
I am watching tv now, change the channels but fail to have it
 natural energy
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 9:37:08 PM
huixin,

Here is the official web site for the games: http://en.beijing2008.cn/
You can see when all the events are.

Olympics is being televised usually from 6AM to noon, and then from 6PM through to 3AM on both Canadian and US stations. ON the weekends you can find it on tv almost all day!

... oops .... I see you are in China. I don't know when they televise it there.
 natural energy
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 8:05:05 PM
Actually the Track and Field has already started..... live now... 11 PM Thurs Aug 14 here ..... 11AM Friday Aug 15 in Beijing.

... and Michael Phelps continues on his golden swim trek!
 Nao_Namorado
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:20:20 PM
Entirely too, too much emphasis on win win win gold gold gold. And this statement from a formerly top-level competitive soccer player in the USA...yeah, that'd be me. I'd really love it if no one kept score, without frothing reporters whipping us up into unforeseen frenzies.

I am grateful that I had an opportunity to try out for the USA Olympic soccer team when dinosaurs roamed. I was cut because of an injury (ye olde hamstring) that would not heal fast enough...dead weight was I.

Still, for the rest of you who enjoy the testosterone-pump of competition, more power to ya.

Had team handball been in existence when I was a younggin, man I'd be all over that sport.
 natural energy
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:05:51 PM
Nao namorado,

I am totally with you.
Just to participate with the best is an honor and should be respected by all!

I used to coach Special Olympic athletes .... and will again in the future ...

Their motto is wonderful and should apply to all competitions!

"Let me win but if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt"
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > 2008 Olympics ~ Can't Wait l August!