Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Internet calls!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cutepoet
Msg: 1
Internet calls!Page 1 of 1    
Can anyone tell me how possible is it for me to make international calls from my computer using a landline, which can only be used to call within my house, and can't call outside.

I mean a land line, ok not a land line, but an intercom, where it can only call within my house, and can't call outside. Is it possible for me to connect it to my computer somehow, and use it to make international calls?

Please someone should just help me on this.
Thanks for reading.

D'POET
 Padawan61
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Internet calls!
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:23:41 PM
OP, you talking two different things here. No you can't connect your computer to your intercom and make international calls. Whatever made you think that?? If you sign up for an IM service like MSN or Yahoo, you can do computer to computer calls for free (anywhere in the world) ... with a webcam too if you had one.
 Padawan61
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Internet calls!
Posted: 7/12/2008 1:38:47 PM
Wrong.

You can: 1) 'call' somebody else's computer, assuming that they are using the same software you are using to make the call such as MSN, Yahoo, Skype

Isn't that what I said?? It's obvious that both parties should be using the same IM service. That goes without saying.
 Padawan61
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Internet calls!
Posted: 7/13/2008 1:21:59 PM
^^^^^An ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) box is intended to connect standard telephones to a non-standard telephone system such as VoIP and is sold along with the service itself. The OP never mentioned he had VoIP service or telephone service of any kind. In fact, he corrected himself by saying:

I mean a land line, ok not a land line, but an intercom, where it can only call within my house, and can't call outside

Based on his post, one would have to assume he only had an internal intercom system which he would like to use for international calls through his computer ... which, in itself is impossible. In using an ATA box, he must already subscribe to a VoIP provider ... again, something he never said he had.

Other posters simply recommended the alternative ... for him and his chat buddies to sign up for the same IM service and talk computer to computer for free. Nothing difficult about that.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Internet calls!