Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Why religious way of life excluded in Hollywood's America?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 7
Why religious way of life excluded in Hollywood's America?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

The Identity of this country is established in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And NO WHERE in either of those two documents does it state that America is a "Christian Nation" (You can look it up) Hence the concept of "Seperation of Church and State" Now before someone says "Thats not written anywhere", it dosent have to. The Constitution couldnt work if there wasnt.

Thank you ~ If this country were not founded under the concept of separation of church/state, there wouldn't have been need for our "Founding Fathers" or a Declaration or a Constitution because we'd have adopted and accepted England's particular views on everything. It took brilliant minds to disassemble that situation and evolve into a civilized (per se) singular country based upon one thing: FREEDOM.

~OT~ Hollywood is about making money, entertaining the masses and giving the paparazzi a job. Nothing more. If someone wants religion, they go to their temple, chapel, house of worship or their backyard ~ depending on personal preference. JMO
 yna6
Msg: 8
Why religious way of life excluded in Hollywood's America?
Posted: 6/24/2008 7:33:21 PM
Hollywood is for entertainment. Not religious enlightenment. Think about that one movie there...WTF was it??? The one depicting the crucifixtion of Christ...all done in Aramic with English subtitles....can't remember the name of it...never saw it myself. The Passion of the Christ"? Maybe...anyways...think about this...there HAS to be a blooper reel out there somewhere...think you'll ever see it? LOL!

Want to watch "christianity"? Watch the sunday sermons on TV.
 Vancer
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2008 8:26:47 PM
I heard the Matrix was based on the bible.
Although I am not hip on the bible, so I couldn't tell.
But bunch of people say it is.
 forumschick
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:06:20 AM
Devout Christianity is an essential part of the American reality ?? In what Universe? Another perfect example of how christians seem to think that America is supposed to revolve around them and what they believe. America is NOT a christian nation no matter what some think. Even if 80% of Americans were christian it STILL wouldnt be a christian nation because thats not what this country was built on. America is a ccountry that was open too all people from all parts of life. And they bring here their cultures and rituals and we become this big "Melting Pot"! Perhaps you've heard the term? But some people seem to think that because the Protestant Pilgrims were here first they get to claim this land for Jesus.

In the same universe that you and I live; or will the fact that they are Christians annul their own nationality?! Aren’t Christian Americans the same as the “you American”?
I really don’t understand the answer you provided above; but let me guess, you celebrate diversity?!

The Identity of this country is established in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And NO WHERE in either of those two documents does it state that America is a "Christian Nation" (You can look it up) Hence the concept of "Seperation of Church and State" Now before someone says "Thats not written anywhere", it dosent have to. The Constitution couldnt work if there wasnt.

The identity of this country is constantly being established; day after day and the saddest thing, it has not a thing to do with the constitution…
However, you are right about one thing, you cannot advocate patriotism to your country and Christianity at the same time; well, at least not true Christianity anyway…

Religion (Especially christianity) is something that belongs in your heart and mind and remains a personal relationship or ideal that you carry around with you. It dosent belong in the public school systems or anywhere else in public because the "public" is the "State". And Hollywood?..... is part of the "State" Which means it will create whatever will sell. And as everyone knows..."Sex Sells" And nothing is more BORING then religion, christianity, god or jesus. Except of course to christians. Thats why we dont see it expressed as normal everyday life... because it isnt!

I disagree; it belongs wherever a Christian is; and if they happened to be of American nationality oh well, unless of course, Christians do not have the same rights you do…
Please do define normal, and given that it is your world and you are just letting us live in it, I am assuming you are the one who set the standars for normality?
 forumschick
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:26:58 AM

I don't think religion is excluded, as such, but I don't think it's as entertaining as other matters. That said, there are lots of religious themes in movies. A constant theme is good conquering evil, a 'religious' theme if ever there was one. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Narnia Chronicles were written with 'religious' themes, and were faithfully transcribed into celluloid (or whatever they use these days). Though not all Christmas movies are focused on Jesus, they still maintain the goodness of the message of Christmas (call it the Christmas Spirit if you like). Some would disagree, but I think the Harry Potter movies express a positive 'religious' theme. In fact, when I think of it, religion is rarely portrayed in a negative light except where that portrayal is fair and factually accurate. So I don't think 'religion' gets a bad rap by Hollywood.

Yes and boy have they succeeded; all those mentioned above are religions or of religious nature.

Harry Potter??! You have got to be kidding me!

Religion does not equal God; any God, whichever beliefs you have.
It is also religion which dictates almost everyone’s way of life, therein lies the problem…

faith2565
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:24:55 PM
They have all turned to Kabbalah or Scientology even Will Smith.
 forumschick
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:26:16 PM

Nope. Though I only read a few chapters from the books, and relied on the movies for my info on the series, my children enjoyed the Harry Potter books, and I've spoke to adults and children I love and respect who also enjoyed them. But I am partial to English countryside scenes, old villages, and steam trains so it may be more of a romantic attachment than anything.

A local church held a Harry Potter themed Backyard Bible Class one summer that was a huge success and got tons of kids talking about good, evil, sin, God, Jesus, doing the right thing, etc. Anyway, I don't buy into the "Harry Potter is EVIL" scare-mongering. I think that good literature is good literature and books are an essential part of expanding a child's imagination and education. But that's me. Others who don't like Harry Potter should feel free not to read the books or see the movies.

And that my friend is precisely what most churches are all about these days, promoting everything that, according to the bible, it is disgusting to God, but who cares, as long as you get a full house I guess...

I agree with literature being essential for a child's education; however, if you want to give your kids great literature, give them the bible or do you really think that God would have you choose Harry Potter instead?...

Just a thought...

clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:26:05 PM
I grew up in the 60's and was compelled by my school to attend the local Cinema ( The Majestic in Mexbrough for anyone who's interested) to watch The Ten Commandments and The Greatest Story Ever Told. A slightly hypeful title I think. (Is hypeful a legitimate word?)

The late lamented Charlton Heston starred in the first movie I mentioned. I remember he parted the Red Sea in fine special effect style for the time of the films' making, but I showed a clip of it recently to my eleven year old niece on you tube recently who remarked, "That looks so fake!"

Bloody kids. They don't know they're born.

These films must have made some kind of impression on me cos I still think about them, 40+ years later. Didn't the latter example feature John Wayne intoning in his distinctive cowboy drawl, "Surely this man was the Son of Gaaaad!" Priceless stuff. I don't think us kids had enough appreciation of irony to break out in spontaneous laughter at this point in the movie but maybe if it was screened to a modern audience - who knows?

Jeffrey Hunter, who played the part of Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told was an almost implausibly good looking guy, and it saddens me that he died so prematurely, as I learned only this year when Googling for info on Star Trek episode The Cage. He was the original Starship Captain in the pilot episode, ultimately rejecting a part in the series due to his filmic ambitions.

As for modern movies that depict Americas' preoccupation with Christianity..how about the Harrison Ford 1985 movie, Witness. It isn't actually about religion, but uses the Amish community as a backdrop to a murder based drama. It won awards at the time and was a taut and entertaining thriller. I can't be bothered to think of any others at the moment but am sure they're out there..
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:32:14 PM

I just have to say this to those one or two who say America is not a christian country.... "in god we trust".

"A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957." http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

Goodness ~ US History. It's something most should take an avid interest in, especially if you wish to splash out blanet statement such as the above. This country was NOT founded to be Christian in nature. The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are much more accurate depictions of what our Constitution/Declaration was based upon: ".....tire, poor, huddled masses...." I don't believe you'll find the verbage, "Oh, by the way ~ please drop of at the nearest Christain based house of worship and be sure to tithe."

~OT~ Maybe religions aren't depicted via Hollywood because no one chooses to get into debates such as this....

~OP~ I must ask, since you proposed this question. Did you see American Zion? Probably not, as most of the nation didn't see it either. Mormonism is Christian ~ the movie was a financial flop. (Save a few key states.)
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:34:14 PM

And I do have a copy of the The Witness, I'm going to watch it now for sure. To me it seems the same as to you, but 1985 is not that modern in most teen-agers' eyes... or in those of anyone perhaps up to 30 years of age.

Right you are. I'm twenty years behind the times on what I consider modern. A lot of the young 'uns of today probably wouldn't know who I was talking about if I mentioned John Wayne. My eleven year old niece certainly wouldn't. She's a Johnny Depp fan.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/25/2008 9:36:35 PM
Did I see American Zion? No, I did not, have not. Would you recommend it?

I did see it. It was a very well made film, factual to the accountings of that particular church and the acting was excellent. It was worth my time ~ even if I don't subscribe to the theorium/idiologies. I suppose I would recommend it to interested parties ~

You might try:
John Adams (I'd recommend that one ~ wonderful movie.)
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/default.php
That is an entire site dedicated to Christian films, etc. Enjoy OP!!
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 3:43:14 PM
Chronicles of Narnia, anyone?

yna6
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/26/2008 4:27:24 PM
Let's not forget the Simpsons....the episode where Mr. burns is running for office and has dinner with them...while on camera.
Bart says the blessing...which goes something like "Lord, bless this food and thanks for it, although you didn't pay for it...so...thanks for nothing."

In TV series...there may well be a certain amount of religion...but...not near the amount as there was, as in say the 1950's and early 60's. Todays PC crowd would go apesh*t on producers azzes if they went that far.

There is a show on Canadian TV...called "Little Mosque on the Prairie". You might want to check it out. A bit entertaining, and there is a priest in it as a regular character, and a few other memorable characters.
 oddandy
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/26/2008 6:50:24 PM

"A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957." http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

Why in the world do people think that Christianity has a monopoly on the word "God?"

The word "Allah" means "the One True God"

So is America a Muslim country?

Gnostics believe that the true God is the parent of a lesser, blind being who created this earth. Which "God" are we talking about?

Some folks believe that the character identified as Lucifer is "God" and JHVH is actually "the devil." In which "God" does said law proclaim trust?

I believe in God the Father of Christ. I also believe "the Church" worships Satan, Samael, "the God of the Blind" unbeknownst to most of it's blind followers (but not "the Church fathers")

My only point here is that your argument isn't a very good one.
 faith2565
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:31:19 PM
Who cares they really need to stop going to jail on a regular basis. If we experienced that we may lose everything.

Wesley Snipes petitions court to leave country

In this Feb. 24, 2008 file photo, Wesley Snipes arrives at the 80th Academy Awards in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson, file) Chris Carlson
From Associated Press
June 26, 2008 7:27 PM EDT

OCALA, Fla. - Lawyers for Wesley Snipes are asking a Florida judge to let the 45-year-old actor leave the country while they appeal his three federal tax convictions.

Snipes wants to work on two films, "Gallowwalker" and "Chasing the Dragon," in London and in Bangkok, Thailand, according to documents filed Wednesday in federal court.

The documents say post-production editing of "Gallowwalker" is set to begin July 14th, and filming of "Chasing the Dragon" will start in September.

Snipes was sentenced in April to three years in prison on three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file his income tax returns.

The government alleged that Snipes, star of the "Blade" trilogy, "White Men Can't Jump," "Jungle Fever" and other films, hasn't filed a tax return since 1998.
 faith2565
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:56:57 PM
The latest news on Will Smith. The word is he is a Scientologist.

But Now

Scientologist
Will Smith's school insists it's not Scientologist
From Associated Press
June 29, 2008 9:47 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES - Will Smith 's soon-to-open private school is not a Scientology facility, as some reports have suggested, the academy's director said.

Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, have founded the New Village Academy, scheduled to open in September.

The school will use instructional methods developed by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard called study technology. And a few teachers belong to the church.

But the couple say they are not Scientologists, and the academy's director insists the facility has no religious affiliation.

"We are a secular school, and just like all nonreligious independent schools, faculty and staff do not promote their own religions at school or pass on the beliefs of their particular faith to children," New Village Academy director Jacqueline Olivier told the Los Angeles Times.

What do you think?
 suzzzzieQ
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/30/2008 7:36:44 AM
Satan is the god of this world and he controls what some call the hidden dynasties. "The mischievious device" in our generation is "one worldism", and it is controlled by the four hidden dynasties. Those dynasties are Religion, Education, Economics [banking, merchandising, industry] and Politics. His control includes the media which explains why the religous way of life is excluded in Hollywood's America.
The four hidden dynasties are global tools used by satan in the end times to usher him in as the antichrist imitating the true Christ. They are the coming one world system of the Political, educational, financial, and religious unity. You can see them being put in place now, if you look and it seems you are looking. The media of course will place an integral part in working with the antichrist when he appears on this earth claiming to be the one true Christ but he is a liar in fact the father of lies.
 forumschick
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 5:31:58 PM

Would it help you come to better terms with my parental choices if I told you my children know the Bible and read it regularly, that they choose to follow its precepts and morals as a guide to living, and that they do an excellent job of it? I know, surprising, eh? A Christian child in a Christian home who probably knows the Bible better than most adults -- and reads Harry Potter books!

Just a thought.

It doesn’t bother me one bit what the rest of the world does or doesn’t do; hey, I am a live and let live type of person and by the way, but you still didn’t answer my question…
Do you really think that God would have you read Harry Potter books rather than the bible? It truly is a yes or no question…

Thought so…

And if we're going to add TV to the mix there's:

I can't recall the title, the one with Dan Ackroyd as a "hip" vicar.
"Father Ted" ("Oh, go on, will you not have a wee cup of tea?" and "Gells!")
"Bless Me Father"
"The Vicar of Dibley"("yes, yes, yes, yes.... no")
"Ballykissangel"
"All Creatures Great and Small" -- well, it's not a religious setting (though some would rightly say the Yorkshire Dales are a little taste of heaven), but it is a title made familiar by religious singing.

I do believe God does have a sense of humor, and it must be disappointing how little we know and care to know about our Creator…

If you Google religion in movies, you'll find links to several databases that have lists of movies that feature religion. The Yahoo one has over 1000 titles (but they also include politics). There are several lists with 500+ movies listed. CD Universe's "Religion DVD Movies" has 250 titles to peruse. I'd say that the "exclusion" thesis is flawed.

Indeed, if you google religions anywhere on any sub category, you will most likely find that none of it has anything to do with God, I just wish someone else other than me, could see that…

There goes your argument on the “exclusion” thesis being flawed...

Lest you wonder; I truly wasn’t questioning your parenting skills at all either. As I said, most of us seldom practice what we preach, and I am no different than the rest of the world my friend; but do not tell me that God doesn’t frown upon the context of the Harry Potter Series whether film or literature,
Now this is according to the Bible, not any religious organization, not a priest nor the pope, but please do not take my word for it, after all, if you and your kids indeed read the Bible, I am sure you both will eventually agree with me…
 forumschick
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:43:53 AM

That is not the way that I interpreted that to read. I gathered from the OP that what he was saying is that America reality is defined by devout christianity. American reality is about baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet! Now you can be an American who is a devout christian, but it is incorrect to say that america is the land of devout christianity. Devout christianity is a part of American reality that way politics and corruption is, death and taxes, franks and beans, pornography and prostitution! It's just simply PART of American reality, America is not defined by it the way Islam defines the Middle east. Those middle eastern countries are shrouded in religious mystique. America is not a religious country in the same respect.

The statement reads “Devout Christianity is an essential part of the American reality….”
It is an essential part of the American reality for Christians , I really doubt that he was addressing you or others who share your views.

Moreover, I really don’t think that you interpreted it differently than the way it was meant; it could be simply that you have a problem with Christianity being a part of the American Culture and just felt the need to say so?
Because you have no problem with America being defined by baseball and hot-dogs, or sex and prostitution, yet, you are arguing with the fact, yes fact, that the Christian community is part of the American Culture, well, I hate to break it to ya (well, not really, I rather enjoy it ), but we are, as much as prostitution and baseball, even if we are not as "liked" as the latter. Nevertheless; Christianity is an American reality for Christians and non-Christians alike…

Quite frankly, I do not see how anything like Christianity or eating a hot-dog would define me, but hey, that is your reality and fortunately, I don’t have to live in it...

Since we have established that our realities differ from one another, I think you would agree with me when I say that the OP, and everybody else in America can say and speak about whatever their ‘reality’ is, and you know what, there is nothing you and I can do about it, so if I were you, I would lighten up a bit, you would be much happier and it would make it easier for me to do the “Christian thing”; you know, what with having to love everybody as He loves me…

And thats why I dont believe you have the right to drag your religion down main street, nailing your ten commandments up on every wall in every building in town. (not that you do, but you would if you could) Keep your religion inside your churches and inside your homes, but keep it out of the public. "Separation of Church and State"

I tell you what, it is tough being Christian these days…
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds to me on the above as if you are telling us “Christians” what to do or telling us what we can say? Is that right? I just wanted to make sure before I respond to “such request”…

forumschick
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:18:38 PM
SuzzieQ, this is a very special explanation you offered to show why depictions of religious life is excluded from Hollywood movies.

Would you care to show us what would be an argument, or not even an argument, but just something, that would show that your theory regarding Satan is not true? I am not saying it's not true, I'm just curious what it would take to disprove it. There must be something, and I'm asking you to point to it.

If a scientist says all things fall down that are thrown up, all we need to disprove him is throw up something that doesn't fall down.

If a man says "you'll go to hell", all to disprove his claim is for you [not you personally, but the general you] to go to heaven.

Everything that has been stated in this world has at least one theoretical way of proving it false. For instance if you say "eating arsenic always kills people", all we need to see is one person thrive after eating arsenic. It's not that the thing would be possible, or even imaginable; but something that is a complete proof that the theory does not stand.

I would like you to please name that event or condition or state that would make your theory on Satan's hidden dynasties proven false. I don't ask you to prove it false, or even name things that can happen in reality; I'm only asking you to state a theoretical happening that would make it look false.

Of course, don't do it if you don't want to. Or please say it cannot be done, by any type of logic or event. I ask you nothing impossible or nothing that you don't want to do. But if you can think of something that can prove the theory of Satan's hidden dynasties prove false, in your opinion, then please describe it for me.

I know the question was for Suzzie, but I have a couple of my own for you;
Why are you analyzing Suzzie's opinion as a scientific theory or hypothesis?
She never claimed it to be a theory, her opinion, and speculation if you will is being taken from what she's read on the bible regarding the ultimate prophecy. It is entirely her interpretation of what is to come. She isn't claiming it to be so; she may believe it to be so, but unlike scientists she isn't translating her own "theory" into a fact like Science normally does.

Two entirely different languages my friend, which is why I must ask the following: Why are you using Science methodology to assess the strength of her faith?
We already know it is not possible, many have tried, and it will not work because faith is an abstract is not based on anything that has been empirically observed, nor experimented.
I would like to see you disprove that...

Based on her perspective, she could never prove nor disprove it scientifically speaking that is a true reality, even though it is as real to her and is breathing for the entire living world. Which begs my last question; what are you truly after here?

I have been debating on whether or not to ask, but since I cannot disprove my opinion on the above, I thought what the heck, she may teach me a thing or two about this…

susan_cd
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/20/2009 9:09:05 AM
Quoting a sentence from message #4 :

<div class="quote"> But some people seem to think that because the Protestant Pilgrims were here first they get to claim this land for Jesus.

Actually, the native Americans were here first, & had their land stolen from them.... not a very "Christian" thing to do , in my opinion. And Vikings were here before the pilgrims, so I guess America should be worshipping Odin.

Agnostic prayer: God, if you exist, save my soul, if I have one, if you can.

scorpiomover
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 3:27:32 AM
TV and movies are not a reflection of real life. In TV and in movies, every time someone gets shot at, they huddle behind a car, and the bullets will not through the car. In real life, they go straight through. If TV and movies were any reflection of real life, 90% of the characters would be dead, or would get as far away from a car as possible.

Why do we watch it? Because it's NOT real life, not at all.
 forumschick
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2010 2:45:26 PM

But:

In today's movies there are no scenes of prayer as a part of daily life, nor church attendance. People don't have the priest or the minister over for tea and they don't go to him with the agenda of finding a satisfactory answer to their moral dilemmas. I sort of expect that to be seen in American movies, but I haven't in any movie that was made in the last 20-30 years. I thought it was normal in European movies, as people and cultures there are very secular; few countries remain there that are overwhelmingly Christian, if you use the definition "most people, at least 60-80 percent of the population in these countries, are honest and heartfelt practitioners of Christianity". Poland and Italy may be examples of Christian countries in Europe.

In the USA the definition applies; I did not mean to entice an argument of what constitutes a Christian country, but the 80% practicing and believing Christians within the entire population well stands. (I heard the true figure moves around 90%.)

But this was not the point. And I wasn't looking for why they don't make more movies such as "The Ten Commandments" or "Ben Hur". I was looking for why there is a complete absence of religious behaviour depicted. Kids are not asked to say their evening prayers, but in "Leave it to Beaver" they were; nobody worries about the Lord's day and how they'll get to church and do things there, but if I remember well, in "Gillighan's Island" , at least in some episodes, Sunday worship was an issue. (Please don't ask me which episode. I saw them last in the 1970s.) Even in a cute and very loveable commercial, a cute and very loveable woman up for bat in a friendly baseball game at a company picnic said quietly, just to herself (I remember this exactly, word-for-word; she was cute): "Please, please, please, let me have a hit!" In almost all Westerns there were minister-types. (Again, please don't hold me to produce an actual statistical report on this.) In today's swashbucklers there is no trace of fearing the afterlife or praying for survival, or burying the dead with respect. In war movies made in the fifties there were. (Statistics? Anyone?)

So this is what I meant by the dearth of religiosity depicted in Hollywood movies. Religious activities are a part of everyone's lives in at least 80% of Americans. It's hard to produce a conflict around religion, other than popularized crimes and existentialist struggle. This latter nobody would watch on Thursday evening with a beer, as many pointed out in this thread. But there is absolutely no trace of religion in people's everyday lives in American movies and TV. The families don't go to church, there are no minister types, there are no prayers, no nothing about religion or God.

Even in British crime shows and whoddunnits there is a healthy dose of religious behaviour -- not in-your-face or overpowering, but just enough to balance the movie and make it a believable representation of a slice of life. Even Mr. Bean had an episode of falling asleep and intermittently waking up during a sermon.

So if you haven't got too tired of discussing this topic -- anyone not bored to death to answer this question?

I know that you are hoping for a better answer to your question, but, in my experience; all those activities that you listed above, such as evening prayer, are no longer part of the average American. (The average American to me is an individual living the in the US of America, and that I have personally met; that is all the “average American” means in the above sentence)
Personally, I don’t think that statistics are anything remotely accurate. Indeed, these are simply the “credible” basis, whenever a generalization is needed. Should I dare ask you; are you looking for a generalization based on statistics or people’s knowledge based on personal experience?

If it is the latter, well as I said above, aside from Thanksgiving Holidays, these are hardly activities which are part of the Average American regardless of doctrine or denomination. I am assuming that is what you mean when you use the word religion?
Because these days, Religion doesn’t necessarily mean that it stands for everything “Our Creator” does. Now, some of these individuals range from a self proclaimed “true Christian”, devout Catholics or your average once a month church visitor. Which is why I think they aren’t giving you, your dose of “living-in-a-great-world-type” of entertainment…

Newsflash, whether you trust statistics or personal experience, you are indeed one of a very small minority.
I consider myself a Christian; which is nothing more than an individual that believes that Christ died in the cross for my salvation, pick and chooses what to follow from the Bible and interprets the same entirely to my own convenience, you know, your “average Christian living in America” … Anyway, these activities are not part of my daily routine either...

Exactly!

Furthermore, I think Hollywood and the media portray indeed the true picture of the chaotic struggles in the lives of the average American.
It is not their fault, Hollywood and the media; both just aim to please.
Sadly enough, we just can’t get enough of it; our expectations are on the rise and not in a good way…
However, I can almost guarantee that, whatever the show, whichever the subject, entertainment will truly reflect how well we are doing as a “civilization” as you like to think we are, and last but not least; our humanity or lack thereof…

susan_cd
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/22/2010 3:16:41 PM
Actually I think the better question would be "why should the religious way of life be INCLUDED in hollywood's America?"

Hollywood is an entertainment industry, whose purpose it to make money for it's minions; it isn't there to promote any particular religious view.

I suppose if every Hollywood production promoted the Buddhist, Hindu or Wiccan religions, then they'd be getting raked over the coals for not promoting the "correct" religion.
 southernlass
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/29/2010 1:21:57 AM
There are movies that have come out that are religious in nature. The "Left Behind" series has created a few movies that are fairly decent. Most recently a wonderful movie called "Fireproof" came out that has done wonders for some marriages, I've heard. I'm sure there are more than we think if I was inclined to do the research and list them; obviously there aren't enough though. This is a wide open area for the right people to jump into.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Why religious way of life excluded in Hollywood's America?