Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Dating service that bans ugliness comes to Canada      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 7
Dating service that bans ugliness comes to CanadaPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
It's no different here. It just called "read/deleted".
 Rythmn
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Dating service that bans ugliness comes to Canada
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:20:55 PM
so, why do your care? unless they also screen for brains, heart, spirit, compassion, integrity, honesty, communication, etc. well, then you may have a catch! but why are they not already taken?

ps i disagree with the above slant. you can be attractive and have all those qualities, but i doubt you would join the site then.
 nipoleon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:29:42 PM
You're beautiful, yes.
But, do you like to fock ?
You're pleasing to the eye, that can not be denied.
But, do you like to fock ?
Venus herself, swoons at your countenance.
But, do you like to fock ? And, do you like to fock me ?
Are you virtuous ? Are you forgiving ?
Do you know love ?
As wondrous as your vision is.......
Do you like to fock, and will you fock me ?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:09:44 PM

Soooo what? The same thing is happening through all dating websites including this one! A very high percentage of men and women on dating sites couldn't get a date unless they try with those who are less attractive and even then they better be patient.

It's always been this way. Good looking people do have higher expectations...Is that a crime? Of course not! Then they are shallow for sure…right? People who take care of themselves prefer to be with someone with similar ways of life. I for one am not interested in someone who is overweight. I am not a hypocrite…it’s on my profile. I want to be with someone who is active and in good shape. Is that shallow? Of course not! It’s a choice…my choice.

The not so good looking and fat people would probably never have a chance in dating someone from one of those sites who select people by the way they look so they complain...all the friggin time. Bring those same good looking people in here and most still wouldn't have a chance in hell but it's not so bad because they are on the same website…right?

I for one, have no problem whatsoever with those sites. In fact, I welcome them.

Here’s a question…for those hypocrites who find such sites to be sooo appalling. How do you feel about the sites for only big/fat people? Selective business people only? Just for blacks? White? Jews? Christians? ect ect.

For all the other “selective” sites, it’s quite alright. When it comes to looks/beauty then it’s taboo! What a bunch of hogwash.

Bottom line, it's just a choice. You don’t like it, move on to another page. Sure sounds simple to me.

so, why do your care? unless they also screen for brains, heart, spirit, compassion, integrity, honesty, communication, etc. well, then you may have a catch! but why are they not already taken?

ps i disagree with the above slant. you can be attractive and have all those qualities, but i doubt you would join the site then.

So do i! Furthermore, there's plenty of great looking people who are single just as the ones who are not. Good looking means that they should be taken???

What I find funny is the people who automatically label good looking men and women as dumb. Seriously, who’s dumb again?

I am fortunate to have known some very beautiful women. The vast majority of them were kind, loving, sweet, intelligent and with a great sense of humour.
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:10:23 PM
Beauty is everything, and is a guarantee to a successful relationship and life.

Just ask Angelie Jolie and Jennifer Aniston. It's like, who'd ever cheat on such gorgeous women?
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 1:57:07 PM
That's prejudice... where's the "Fugly Buggers" only site?..
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2008 2:45:14 PM
Maybe they'd pay me NOT to join...?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 7:14:44 AM
One glaring untruth in your post though ...
There are no "selective" sites for whites , that would be "politically incorrect" , and whites aren't allowed this freedom. A big time double standard.

Seems to me like they are allowed as some sites clearly indicates for "whites" .
http://www.allwhitedating.com
http://www.matchmaker.com/mm/dating/georgia-white.htm
http://www.thedateexchange.com Powered by http://www.whitelabeldating.com
http://www.mybestdate.co.uk/community/Ethnicity/1/Caucasian_white.aspx
http://www.speeddate.com/online-dating/white-singles-p-1.html
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/26/2008 1:36:06 PM
Hmm . . . so now there is a web site that with 95 percent fake pictures instead of just the usual 50 percent.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/1/2008 4:12:27 AM

Why is it wrong exactly ?
People can choose to do whatever they want to do with their lives right ? You say that beauty is only skin deep but for some people that's a necessary starting point wouldn't you agree ?

exactly - there's other sites for jewish only/ christian only singles or rich men and beautiful young girls (i think it's sugardaddies.com). there are sites for ALL kinds of preferences...so why should this be any different? if this kind of thing doesn't interest you, you have other options for online dating so use them (like POF).
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 8:50:37 AM
They'd probable feel like:
I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me

I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan

And I'm too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I'm disco dancing

*Right Said Fred*
 gentalltheway
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:29:13 AM
Beauty IS IS IS in the eye of the beholder, and beauty is not measured primarily by physical attributes because it is an entity of who we ARE ... starting from within. Beauty always radiates from deep inside, and the most beautiful people in my life have not been people who were considered physically attractive by societies' standards ... and this dating service is a bunch of BS.

That was a typical way to explain how beauty is without crossing boundaries. The fact of the matter is, for most people out there, physical attraction comes first. This is true for people just as it is for any other type of living creatures on this planet. I never heard anyone telling me that he or she started to go out with someone because of their beauty within. Let me put it in another way, without physical attraction, how will you have a sex life? If I am not physically attracted to a woman, it wouldn’t matter how beautiful she is inside, Mr magic will not give any private show anytime soon.

Gentlealltheway this site is about a lot more then excluding fat people. It excludes ugly or average to below average people too. You might want to really think before rooting for this site. I wont say any more . It would be too mean.

I never mentioned that they were just excluding overweight people. Perhaps you should take the time to read properly before making accusations.

As far as “rooting” for the site goes, if people in general are willing to accept other sites with conditions, they should welcome this one as well. As I wrote before, if you are that bothered of such a site, switch page.

The way I look at it is that perhaps they will have less people who enjoys deceiving others such as on a site like this one. I met only three women from in here. The first one posted pictures of her that were at least 10 to 15 years old. In fact I hardly recognized her. The second, had only one picture and claimed to be 40 which no one would’ve argued from the picture but then, she was actually 54 and the picture was a false one. The third, posted pictures of her younger sister. Once I met her, she said that it didn’t really matter as they look exactly the same. Well, I suppose if you added about 10 years, a few inches taller, less lines and weighed 40 pounds less, yeah I could see a resemblance.

This is a free site and a VERY large percentage of members will gladly posts false pictures. As far as age goes, it’s a farce! You don’t have to go very far to find people deceiving others in here. Just look within this thread alone! Funny thing is that they are the very same people who will b itch about a site such as described on this thread. Why? Because they can’t get in.

I couldn’t pay to be on that site. Does it bother me? Absolutely not! Anyway, I am just too damn old…

I wonder how it would feel if you were on that site and couldn't get a date

I’m guessing pretty much the same as on this site.
 Kignmaker
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:43:11 AM
Why we all worried about it.
There is going to be the regulars will that do most the voting. If they don't like you. You won't be on their site.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:59:35 PM
For whatever it's worth, I took a look at the US version of their dating site. You can browse profiles without joining, so I took a look around. It was much like you might suspect. The guys were either shirtless and flexing on the beach or showing off their expensive suits. The women were flaunting their large bustlines and carefully crafted hair and makeup.

I narrowed my search to women within five years of my age (50), and in the whole country there were maybe 100 women who had passed muster. Of those hundred, there was exactly one who on looks alone seemed at all interesting to me for anything other than fantasy fodder. She actually looked like she might not shudder at the thought of a week without modern conveniences in some wilderness paradise.

By my standards, there are more appealing women who've posted on this thread alone than on that entire site. But I have no problem with the self-proclaimed glamor set isolating themselves elsewhere so the rest of us can toss a few less back as we fish for those more to our liking.

Just my coupla cents worth,

Dave
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:08:24 PM
liana k - relax...i wasn't attacking you, i was merely agreeing with a poster (gottapulse) about the freedom people have to pursue a preference (in this case, "beauty") and the right for an online dating site to exist to limit its members to this standard.

i had no intention of responding to your posts which i haven't bothered to read except for the one specifically directed at me. if you felt i had attacked you in some way, sorry. you may be a tad bit sensitive though since i didn't quote your previous posts or debate what constitutes beautiful. so no beaking off to your post...or whatever you wish to think.

and no, i don't think that dating sites built on the predicators of religious affiliation, wealth and status , etc. are any different than requiring members to be beautiful. you want to argue what constitutes beautiful? go argue with another poster. i'm just arguing that the right of a site based on beauty (however, they determine beauty to be) has the right to exist.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 1:22:12 PM

How many would Trust a Beautiful Person to not cheat ''or be tempted
Perhaps another "beautiful" person would!
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:54:56 PM
liana - YOU have no interest in arguing? and yet you barked at me initially and even after i apologized for any perceived slights in my next post, you still had to insult me.
the fact that you take any post following yours as a direct personal attack on you or your opinion says that you might be somewhat of a narcissist or at the very least a little too ego-centric. my initial post was never directed at you and yet you read it as a personal attack. my second post i attempted to explain and apologize. that post you read only what you wanted to read.

if you want to villify me or try to make me seem ignorant, goody for you. i have no time for someone who inherently can't be bothered with serious debate (which is what these forums are about) and with someone who chooses to insult and inflame rather than respond in a reasonable manner.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:03:53 PM
rita - it's probably b/c beauty is such a subjective term whereas a religion or a particular feature (like height or weight, etc) is much more tangible. and besides, people are threatened/intimidated/envious of beautiful people...so they do make an easy target.

perhaps "beautiful" people are so difficult to specifially identify that it's easy to malign them?
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:09:16 PM
If you replaced ugly, ordinary, short or any other term that describes the appearance of someone and then added the assumptions you made
about "Beautiful People" in a post here MOST of you would be posting wildly to come to "their" defence that assumptions and generalizations are unfair!

To some extent your criticism is justified, but there is a difference between discriminating against someone based on the appearance genetics provided them and not being impressed by those who devote hours each day to achieving some madison avenue standard of 'beauty'.

In these days of plastic surgery, tanning salons, personal trainers, 'total makeovers', etc...., virtually anyone could achieve an appearance that would past muster on that site. We all set priorities in our own lives, and almost all if not all of us find others more or less appealing based on the priorities they set in theirs. You certainly passed judgement on those who posted in this thread, so you're no exception to that rule.

I strive hard in my everyday relations to treat everyone I encounter with respect. I have friendships and professional relationships with people from pretty much every walk of life, political and spiritual outlook, and yes, every conceivable appearance. But I do reserve the right when contemplating a mate to include standards I'd never let enter consideration in any other sort of relationship. I make no apology for that.

My personal taste and lifestyle lead me to find noticeable makeup unattractive. I don't like to kiss lipstick. There isn't a perfume made that smells anywhere near as good to me as a woman's natural scent. I like to live an active life and would want to share it with someone who like me, wakes up very close to ready to greet the day and dive into all the adventures it has to offer.

So as I noted in my earlier post, only one in a hundred women on that site looked like they just might be worth a second look to me. Odds are the other 99 wouldn't have any interest in me either. I can't speak for others who have posted here, but I was simply pointing out that the members of that site were not ones I would choose to date.

Dave
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Dating service that bans ugliness comes to Canada