Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Anyone With Vitiligo Here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lancerchick
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Anyone With Vitiligo Here?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi all,

just wondering if there is anyone out there who has the skin disorder Vitiligo. I've had it since I was 7 years old, and havent had much luck with treatments n such, and would love to hear from other people with it!
Would love to share experiences, treatments you may tried etc.
 daddy-day-care
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Anyone With Vitiligo Here?
Posted: 6/27/2008 4:07:09 AM
i could google it but i would rather you tell me about it in lamans terms.
I have some elliges / dermatitas on my fore arms that are easierly fix with quarter zone creams i dont know if that helps you.
 coffee/tea_and_advice
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/27/2008 4:28:13 AM
have you ever thought to consult an eridologist (the reading your health through the eyes) or a naturapath, who could probably find out with some skin test what sorts of things in your body are lacking, or what you are allergic to. Naturapaths (usually chinese ones are the best) could treat the cause, not the symptom!....
mind you I also have no idea what it is..
 curiousaboutu77
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 4:48:25 AM
i just looked it up and it is a skin condition where patches on your skin lose pigmintation and is symetrical so you have a patch in an identical spot on both sides of the body. You tend to get it in your teens and the size of the patch can change over the time. It is to do with the immune system. Cut s and abrasions can cause new patches to occur and stress can have an effect on the loss of pigmintation as well.
 lancerchick
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 2:34:31 PM
havent tried any of those you mentioned... have tried light therapy though. Vitiligo is somthing you mainly are likely to get when you are younger, but apparently anyone can get it at any stage of their life.
I wouldnt say it is symetrical. there are different forms of it, but mine is randomly over my body a lot of the time.

surely there must be someone on here that has it! I've been wanting to start a group up, so we can all have someone to relate to lol.
 daddy-day-care
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 3:32:33 AM
i could pretend if that helps ?

is it itchy or just visual?
 missmilly1970
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 3:50:23 AM
Hi billachick,
don't know very much. Is it a loss of pigmentation in the skin?

Have had psoriasis for 20 years. Skin disorders are very stressful. Ironically stress usually doesn't help!!!

I find l've learnt more from people with the disorder than doctors.

Happy to ask people I know if you will give me more details!

Melissa.
 wotsnot2luv
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2008 4:40:34 AM
Re: Vitiligo, psoriasis etc.. Billachick and missmilly1970 - email me directly if you like, & I will answer.
 Beauregarde
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2008 6:53:51 PM
Maybe of interest. From one of my favourite alt med sites:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/vitiligo.html

"...Dr Reading, an Australian doctor who cured a hundred Lupus [SLE] patients by [among other things] taking them off all grains except RICE and CORN.

Dr Wright discussed the connection between a Lancet article recently reporting a link between the genetic marker HLA-B8 and 17 diseases with what he had learned from Dr Reading. All but one of the 17 diseases [Celiac Disease] are thought to be autoimmune diseases.

Dr Wright deduced that if dietary restriction of gluten cured the one gene-linked disease known to have an external cause that perhaps all of the gene-linked diseases had an external cause and that it might just be gluten sensitivity!"

Google is definitely NOT your friend, but could be useful here.
 wotsnot2luv
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 4:43:12 AM
I dont agree with cutting out foods due to food sensitivity, but rather to fix the problem so that the patient no longer has the sensitivity. Can be surprisingly quick, & way cheaper than messing around with diets, special foods, supplements etc. Have experience in this & also the other stuff. Dont think that these forums are the place to blow my trumpet, & dont wish to get kicked off by doing so, so thats why I suggested direct email.

Thanks for reading.
 wotsnot2luv
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 4:44:50 AM
P.s., cutting out foods is not a cure.
 Beauregarde
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 5:04:28 AM

so thats why I suggested direct email.
In that case you should remove restrictions to allow emails from anywhere.

...cutting out foods is not a cure.
Sometimes a cure is simply a cure.
 CantHurryLuv
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 10:14:19 AM
Hi billachick!

You definitely need to visit www.vitiligosupport.org. There are over 50,000 members and it's a comprehensive resource for people with vitiligo (and their families). Aside from medical/treatment information, I'd say the main focus is really the support and emotional issues in dealing with vitiligo. It's really a wonderful site.

There's a lot of information on treatments, emotional issues, discussion boads, a chat room, local support groups and annual conferences (just had one early July in San Antonio, TX - people from the US and other countries attend) - the conferences are for patients, not the medical community.

Membership on the site is free, but for an annual donation of only $25 you can have additional access to areas of the site (photo albums, etc.)

Hope you visit soon!
Nancy
 Catch1953
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 5:34:34 PM
Go to Pigmentum inc.com

This stuff really works.
 CursedWithVitiligo
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/6/2010 7:43:00 PM
Trying MELANOTAN II

on day 7, pigment left is getting darker, going to see if pigment will grow
 greyingred
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2010 10:19:42 AM
Is this all merely a pigment of our infagidation?

Finally somethings I don't have Some swear by sunlight for psoarisis but believe it has the opposite effect with Vitiligo. Isn't that what Michael Jackson had? Horses are allowed to by black, brown, white and piebald so why not humans,
 RU412IAM
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:18:55 PM

Horses are allowed to by black, brown, white and piebald so why not humans

If he was hung like a horse I'm sure he would call himself Pinto the Wonder Horse and be a massive hit with the ladies on their ladies nights out lol
 rainbowscream
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:26:58 PM
Can you get a tattoo over it ?

fuckety
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/12/2010 7:35:50 PM
My brother has vitilago...my understanding is that there is neither a treatment nor a cure for this skin condition however thankfully it is completely benign..although perhaps not all that attractive which I guess is why you are looking for a cure.

All I could suggest is come to terms with it - it is part of what makes you you but only an infinitesimally smally part and it lets you boast that you have something in common with Michael Jackson...um, on second thoughts maybe don't mention the Whacko Jacko thing.
 CantHurryLuv
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2010 10:42:43 AM
Damage to the skin can cause depigmentation, so while some people have tried tatooing the affected area, it could make the spot spread.
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/23/2011 6:34:36 PM
yes, you can tattoo over it, but what could happen is that the affected area can (and probably will) expand past the tattooed area. But i've seen some fantastic tats on Vit skin.
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/23/2011 6:36:17 PM
>Damage to the skin can cause depigmentation, so while some people have tried tatooing the affected area, it could make the spot spread.<

correct. mental and physical stress is bad for anyone with an auto-immune disease. especially Vitiligo. But it's worked for some people.
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/23/2011 6:43:25 PM
>My brother has vitilago...my understanding is that there is neither a treatment nor a cure for this skin condition however thankfully it is completely benign..although perhaps not all that attractive which I guess is why you are looking for a cure.

There is no cure, but there are a few different tretments out there, from vitamins (b12, folic acid, D), to protopic, to UV lights... best thing to do is do a lot of studying online, join some online Vitiligo groups/forums with other "sufferers" and find a dermatologist that has vitiligo experience.

>All I could suggest is come to terms with it - it is part of what makes you you but only an infinitesimally smally part and it lets you boast that you have something in common with Michael Jackson...um, on second thoughts maybe don't mention the Whacko Jacko thing.

Michael wasnt really whacko, he had an addiction to pain killers from his scalp burn injury, had vitiligo and tried to hide it from the world while he depigmented his skin (the only 'cure' for vitiligo, destroy all your pigmented cells), - hence the masks, gloves, makeup, etc..., and eventually started liking plastic surgery a bit too much. If you're in the public eye, and your appearance/image is everything... vitiligo is a hard disease to carry. Google Lee Thomas the journalist and see how he handles it. I'm still getting used to it myself.

Shadow.
 ShadwEagle
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/23/2011 6:45:55 PM
visit us here:

http://www.vitiligofriends.org/
 Pinkdiamonds34
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2013 9:48:17 PM
yes.. i do have it
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Anyone With Vitiligo Here?