Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Should you kiss on first date?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *Bulldog*
Msg: 7
Should you kiss on first date?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
If you are not sure about a girl on the first date, then you should kiss her. Her reaction will tell you everything you need to know.

If you know the girl is into you, then do not kiss her, if you want to build maximum attraction.

Generally it's good to be physical with girls (touching) if you want a 2nd date, but kissing isn't necessarily a part of that. I would definitely do so on the 2nd date, but even so, you should withdraw prematurely. Ideally, you always want to keep them looking for more..
 *Bulldog*
Msg: 10
Should you kiss on first date?
Posted: 6/27/2008 12:54:33 PM
oohh.... desertbulldog... guys who think like him make me crazy. I like it at first but all the rules and games are only cute for so long.

Rules? Games?

Let's be clear: women have made the rules, we just play along. Desirable girls want a challenge. By contrast, guys that shower them with attention will turn them right off.

DesertBulldog so you have read the book.Only one problem once you guys catch on we girls change the rules.

What book?

In any case, you're no more capable of changing the rules than you are capable of avoiding menopause. It's the product of thousands of years of evolution.

ETA: As Obsidian71 added below, not kissing prematurely is also a good way to build a relationship. You can never go too slow. Make sure you two are compatible and share similar values and interests, then build the intimate stuff once that relationship has been established.
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 1:20:25 PM
john....you mentioned that you tried to be a nice gentleman...the gentlemanly thing to do would be to ask her. if you would have asked her about a kiss on the cheek or a little peck then she may have accepted.

other than that, the answer to your question is that it's up to the individual. since everyone's different, different feelings about things your answers are going to vary.
 URLOVEY
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 4:37:25 PM
I think it is super cool that you didn't kiss, yet you both know that there is an interest. Now there is some anticipation for the second date and a good night kiss for sure is coming. What kind of kiss will it be? It will be a great kiss I bet. And the anticipation will make it all the sweeter.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/27/2008 5:35:28 PM

If you are not sure about a girl on the first date, then you should kiss her. Her reaction will tell you everything you need to know.

This is the exact reason why I, personally, don't kiss on a first date. Before I get to know people a little I am polite, cordial and all that, but definately a held-back type of person. Anyone who kissed me (really kissed me, not a greeting or goodbye kiss on the cheek) would think I was the coldest, most severe woman ever.

Of course, once I get to like you, I'll kiss you within an inch of your life, but you'd never know that if you had an agenda and were "testing" acording to some artificial schedule you read about on an internet chat site.

Life takes time and there's no avoiding that.
 lizziechan
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/27/2008 8:21:15 PM
i personally dont kiss on the first date - its just my reservation. it shows more respec that way. i would kiss maybe on 2nd or 3rd date to keep it more interesting.
 IamKaren
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/30/2008 5:54:12 AM
Was this topic made by the daughters farmer Father from the year 1883 in woodville???? If the guy is hot looking i'll "French kiss him and suck his tongue on the first date"....Hmmm hmm
 mthomjmark
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/2/2008 12:40:41 AM
I usually kiss someone on the cheek at least. My female friends kiss me and its a sign of respect and love and friendship so I do that. With dates I do the same thing but if I know we may be dating, I'll give a soft slow natural kiss on the lips.

I always just act natural. I've never had too much of a problem. There are ways to do it but I'm not going to say it. Again, remember this is not a contest and there are no rules.

Even with the girls gone wild generation there are still a lot of good girls out there. Always respect them and walk with class. I always took my sisters boyfriends aside and told them that and she never seemed to have a problem;)

Again, dont look at body signals, jedi knight mind tricks, body language or anything else. Just be natural. Dating should be fun, not a tension filled event. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Should you kiss on first date?