Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > hy is lipstick and makeup so important to women. I as a man find that      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 6
view profile
History
hy is lipstick and makeup so important to women. I as a man find that you do not need to ruin what iPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
there ya have it....some women wear make up and some don't....i normally don't but if i'm going out on a date to a nice place i want to try and i mean try to look my best. i don't wear much....just a little mascara, eye liner, and an earth tone shadow. i don't want to look as if i'm a clown or something. i'd also rather my date see the real me, not someone made up.

make up has been used to cover the imperfections as well as to enhance the beauty of a woman.
 kornbluth
Msg: 7
view profile
History
hy is lipstick and makeup so important to women. I as a man find that you do not need to ruin what i
Posted: 6/29/2008 1:50:49 PM
This began as artistic therapy for an idle class and became an aspiration for the lower classes. With higher material standards of living and affluence, it became herd behavior and fodder for advertising. For decades now, it's been big business and out of control, except to a relative few capable of independent thought. Why do so many men wear ties?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 12
hy is lipstick and makeup so important to women. I as a man find that you do not need to ruin what i
Posted: 6/29/2008 3:59:07 PM
While I believe there are some men who prefer women without make-up, I believe there are FAR MORE (empirical data) who prefer women who wear it, and indeed correlate make-up with good looks. Most of those hott "actresses" and such that you boys drool after are not going au naturel, you know.
 connie_e
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 4:54:39 PM
It always makes me feel better about myself. Just like doing my hair.
 guyot
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 12:03:48 PM
It is entirely up to the woman, and something that I rarely or never comment on. My advice to woman would be to do whatever delights you the most. However, I generally prefer women without makeup at all, or with makeup so artfully applied that I do not notice it.

To some extent is seems like a great mystery: Why spend to much time ant attention and money on something that makes you look less good than your own natural, beautiful self? real skin is beautiful, wrinkles and all, in its own complexity and honesty.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 8:58:39 PM

my bf actually tells me he hates it when i have make-up on. the face tastes like make-up, and the lipstick is blegchk to him. i only usually wear it when we're going out to go clubbing or something...when we'd wouldn't have much kiss-athon going on.

Yes. I don't mind the looks women can achieve with makeup, and everyone has a right to feel good in their own skin. My issue is with the mess - on my clothes, my skin, my car and (if it was a particularly wonderful night out) my sheets. My ex bit the bullet and was able to go out looking glamorous with me, tumble into bed later, and wake up looking just like the night before. How? She went under the needle - not Botox, the tattoo needle!

I wouldn't recommend this painful, relatively permanent and somewhat costly procedure for anyone, but it sure has its benefits. A consistent look, no messy stuff to get in your eyes, no allergic reactions (as long as you're not allergic to the ink), and a truly wash-and-wear lifestyle. She'd typically be ready before me when we'd get ready to go out, and I don't take that long. And kissing her without any lipstick was great. Anyway, if you have a high pain threshold, but little patience with make-up, it may just be your thing. You'll want to choose your colors wisely, though.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/1/2008 11:25:47 AM
Funny that you should bring this up OP because it doesn't prove true. Take the group of women at the club, men aren't gravitating to the woman without make-up. I'm not wearing make-up in any of my pictures, but I do ocassionally put one up with me "all dolled up". Guess which gets more attention?
 fancynanci
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 11:49:45 AM
Most women look better with a tiny bit of makeup on. Not overdone. Just a bit.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > hy is lipstick and makeup so important to women. I as a man find that you do not need to ruin what i