Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Person puts first name at end of email?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MajorThomas
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Person puts first name at end of email?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
So after sending a few emails back and forth eventually i'll get a reply that has the person first name at the end of the email? is this some kind of signal of attraction? what is everyones elses experience with this?
 Wisteria52
Msg: 2
Person puts first name at end of email?
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:40:23 PM
It seems some do and some don't. I don't think it's any sort of 'signal,' just someone's habit or not.

Wist
 ladyc4
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:54:09 PM

So after sending a few emails back and forth eventually i'll get a reply that has the person first name at the end of the email? is this some kind of signal of attraction?

Wow, then I must be attracted to the whole wide world because I always "sign" emails and posts to various discussion forums at several websites( not all dating sites,either)...
Cindy O
 indehills
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:54:20 PM
I put my first name at the bottom of ANY e-mail I send. It doesn't mean anything to me. I mean, what else would you put, "Pookie" or something?
 pinciperro
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:01:52 PM
I'm with CindyO I always put my name at the end of an email,, not intending to relay the thought that I am attracted to them. For me its a friendly thing to do.
It makes the email seem more personal and less formal.
Reece
 SandyB1957
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:06:14 PM
Inormally always put my name at the end also. Not really sure how else to end an email
 MajorThomas
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:06:42 PM
actually i've never gotten an msg with someones name at the bottom on the first reply, usually the third or fourth they'll put their name. I personally never really thought of it, so i never put my name on any of my emails. I mean especially if you know the exchange isnt going anywhere, why bother?
 oldsoul
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:09:47 PM
I sign almost all my emails with my first name. I can assure you that it means nothing more than it's my name. That's all:)

Danielle <---- real name

gerrysuper
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:10:32 PM
It is common in our culture to identify yourself when a note or letter is written...if you are bothering to reply then the first name is just a courtesy

Gerry lol
 Miss Angele
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:12:44 PM
I use my POF name to sign letters when the letter is upgraded to my real name yes that is a signal that I trust that person with the information.
Lady
 Ferruginous
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:19:03 PM
I usually put my first name at the end of my emails.

I just assumed that the people I'm writing to would like to know the name of the person who they're corresponding with.
perhaps that simple logic is too confussing for some people?

I have people tell me their 1st names all the time.
-Sales people
-customer service reps
-restaurant staff
-friends of friends
-new guy on my hockey team
-optometrist
-new neighbor
-lady calling about a newspaper classified ad which I placed
Should I assume that these people are all signalling that they are attracted to me?
Or
Is it more likely they just don't want me to refer to them as "hey you" ?
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:24:20 PM
If they sign their first name I always do in return because I feel like it's respectful.

If I'm sending an email asking a serious question about something in their profile, I sign my name too.

However, if I'm just commenting on something in their profile that I'm being silly about, I usually just sign with ............

M

And after going back and forth with someone for a while and having exchanged names already....we both usually skip it. lol

Once in a while on a forum post that I'm trying to be helpful on I may use.... UZP I know real names are a "no no".
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:40:19 PM
I sign my email, to both men and women with my name only to be polite.

The only sign of attraction may be the choose of complementery line (Love, Alexis; Your Friend, Alexis for example)
 Rubytyr1
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:45:32 PM
Just a random habit, a way of personalising it - at least for me.

Tony

MizQ
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:49:42 PM

actually i've never gotten an msg with someones name at the bottom on the first reply, usually the third or fourth they'll put their name. I personally never really thought of it, so i never put my name on any of my emails. I mean especially if you know the exchange isnt going anywhere, why bother?

If you know it isn't going anywhere, why do you keep conversing? I give my name right away if they give me their right away. If they don't, then I wait a few emails and if the emails are still going back and forth then I sign with my name as a polite gesture.
 sanderick
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:53:27 PM
I think that your reading to much into it.

Though I think that if your going to email someone, you should be at least respectful enough to leave a first name. That is unless it's a "Thanks but no thanks" type of email.

But, if your going to take the time to write someone, why would you want to be this anonymous individual.

She might have forgotten. But I wouldn't read to much into it.

msflis
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:56:43 PM
After an odd experience where a guy I'd been talking to online found out where I was working, based on almost no information I would have called personal, and then sent something to my office with a note making a joke about stalkers, I don't give out my first name so readily anymore, or my profession. They are both unusual enough to make that a bit too easy. So for me, OP, it is definitely a sign when I give out my first name. And if I tell you what I do, I really trust you!

--Ms. Flis
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 5:59:08 PM
I always do as well....I mean, kind of hard to figure out, eh?

David
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:00:22 PM

I have never gotten an email where someone has not put their first name at the bottom, nor have I even sent an email where I haven't put mine at the bottom.

It's not as though you're putting your surname, address, driver's license and tax-file number on it.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:12:14 PM
k just checked all my emails, no names. Even on the ones coming to me first. Hmm guess its just me, but now that you mention it, maybe I should sign all my emails with my name, does seem curteous.
 Singleperson2008
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:40:03 PM
No, it is mosty a habit...
 kevinlovett1976
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:50:45 PM
isnt the email itself generally a signal of attraction? leaving their name lets you know what to call them other than "whitey".

Have a good'un.
 MajorThomas
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 6:58:30 PM
maybe i should rephrase that to not attraction, but more a level of trust to give out a first name
 mcbobly
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 10:42:27 PM

Can't speak for anyeone else, but any email I send always has my real first name at the bottom. I think it's only polite and any first contact email I send out always has my name in as an introduction at the beginning.

Yeah no kiddin, I didn't know we weren't supposed to. I always put my first name at the bottom of every email I send, it's just the polite thing to do.
 Georgia_blue_eyes
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:19:04 PM
I agree with Chandlers wish, I sign my name to my email because I don't want to talk to someone and be known by my screen name, but it doesn't have any hidden meaning.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Person puts first name at end of email?