Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > Moving to Calgary...any advice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Northern Lights
Msg: 2
Moving to Calgary...any advice?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Wow Miniwheats.... you sure sound like you need to move to a different city! You sound pretty bitter about this city.

Things ARE green here, I can see Nose Hill from my front window, and it is pretty damned green.

Also am not sure where you're getting that drunk driving is 'accepted'??

Anyways...

It is a busy city, yes, but you'd get used to it fast, coming from Vancouver and all. As to where to live, I prefer the NW myself (but I was raised in the NW), but other parts of town are very nice as well. Like with any city, we've got our less then desirable areas for sure, in every quadrant of the city, all depends on where you want to live, and what you want to pay.

I abhor downtown, even though I have to go downtown daily for work. Unlike what miniwheats said, there ARE people hitting you up for spare change or smokes or whatever on almost any corner, but again, it's NOTHING compared to Hastings! I personally don't think downtown is safe after office hours, so I just don't go down there. Others may beg to differ though.

People are friendly here, for the most part. You can stop and ask for directions without being mugged or ignored or told where to go! LOL

Lots of pathways, green spaces, parks, lots of recreational activities/areas here if you're into that kind of thing.

LOTS of construction, roads torn apart everywhere, does not make driving fun at all, especially during rush hour, but that happens every summer. PITA for sure.

There IS recycling in this city, there are recycling bins all over the place, in every community, and last I heard, we WERE supposed to get curbside recycling, starting next year I think, unless that's changed?

The drivers here... no different then the drivers in BC. We have some absolutely insane ones, then we have the pokey ones who insist on driving 20 kmh under the speed limit. I don't think it's exclusive to certain plates from different provinces, as I've seen Alberta plates driving like idiots more often then not too, but if you can drive in BC, you can drive here.

All in all, this is a pretty good city for the most part, I personally find it cleaner then Edmonton (sorry guys!) and theres lots to do here. The mountains are like 45 minutes away, love getting out there when I get the chance.
 Northern Lights
Msg: 3
Moving to Calgary...any advice?
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:05:46 PM
Ok, I kinda get you now. My ex had family in Manitoba and when we were out there, it was nothing to get into your car piss drunk and drive up the dirt road towards home... I guess there is a bit more tolerance in rural settings.

For the most part, I like this city. I don't like the sprawl, and I don't like how quickly it grew, and I don't like all the crimes that seem to have popped up in the past few years (guns and stuff), but to me, it is home. Lived here most of my life. I used to know the city like the back of my hand, now I get lost all the time if I have to venture outside areas I know.

That being said though, I'd love to live in a quiet town near the city or something, I don't like all the hustle and bustle most times. When I bought my house, I made sure I bought in the burbs, just so I was away from all the madness, as much as I could be anyways...
 Taurid1
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:31:11 PM
A lot depends on where you'll be working. There are some corners of the city where it's nigh impossible to get to other corners, though all of them feed into downtown fairly well. If you're not going to be working downtown, you'll want to just look at the quadrant where you'll be working.

The neighborhoods "to ignore" are the ones that are cheaper. When we first arrived in Calgary, we stayed in Temple, one of the "neighborhoods to ignore". But we were happy there, with great neighbors and no problems. "Forest Lawn" and neighboring communities have reputation problems. This would be perhaps ten blocks on either side of 17th Ave. SE from Barlow(?) to 52nd St.

There are three legs to the LRT train, "south", "northeast" and "northwest". The South trains go through downtown and become the Northwest trains. The Northeast trains connect to the same downtown stations, then turn around. Most of the LRT stations have free parking -- some with plug-ins for the winter. Calgary has the most expensive downtown parking prices of any city in Canada -- you'll probably want to take transit in, if you'll be working downtown.

Calgary is divided into discrete "communities". Most of these are about a mile by a mile. This gives you several hundred to remember -- the system worked better when the city was smaller. Drilling into the four quadrants on www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6266 gives you a fair idea of where the communities are. www.calgaryarea.com and www.calgarycommunities.com/communityInfo/com_organized.php let you find the community web page for each community. Some put more effort into their web page than others do.

To get a feel for any address you're given, maps.google.com lets you look at satellite photos of any address. This helped us when we were looking for a place in 2005.
 Taurid1
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2008 11:42:30 AM
Most of the water is deep in a river valley -- mountain views are common from the hilltops. You may need to choose one or the other.

Calgary's equivalent to Lost Lagoon would be Prince's Island. You can reach this from expensive apartments in Eau Clair or by a fair-sized walk from "Bridgeland" just across the river.

If you're looking for mountains, you're better off in NW or SW. The eastern side of the city is further from the mountains, and out on the open prairie. Even if you see the mountains, much of the base of the mountain is cut off by the hills of the western side of the city. The NW is much newer than much of the SE and NE, so you're more likely to get a better neighborhood.

Calgary just went through a boom where small apartments tripled in price. Thus lots of spare apartments ended up in the hands of out-of-town investors.

My corner of town has a strong Mormon presence. So missionary work isn't as unlikely as you might think.
 proseandcons
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2008 4:55:19 PM
The one thing I've heard from everyone who has moved here from a coast - prepare to have dry skin. There's almost no humidity here (especially the winters) and apparently it's noticeable if you weren't born in Alberta.

Kensington, Eau Claire, Marda Loop - all funky little areas (Business Revitalization Zones, they call them) but housing costs go up accordingly.

As people said, sprawl is bad. Going north to south can take forever, especially during rush hour. And Calgary seems to have the worst parking lots - a few hundred cars, two exits/entrances...yeah, it makes it real fun

Areas to avoid: Forest Lawn and East Village have been mentioned. I lived in the East Village when I first moved here (Orange Lofts Condos) - not a terrible area, but far from nice.

Hey, not too much anti-Calgary crap considering I'm Edmonton born and raised...*pat myself on back*
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:21:00 AM

...I hung up my snow shovel when I moved from Ontario to BC, I would like it to stay retired ;)...

Look for one shortly after you get here!! Stampede is almost over, so it can snow any day now!!

Having lived in Ontario and B.C., and now a permanent resident of Alberta, I should advise that you may want to stock up on some moisturizing creams for the first little while!! The air is a lot drier, so you will not get that musty smell associated with humid atmospheres in a closed room. Your clothes will stay dryer longer while being worn, and you have to work a lot harder to get a sweat buildup. Except just before one or our numerous unannounced showers!! You may even get to see the odd funnel cloud without leaving home!

If you did drive, Insurance is cheaper, gas is cheaper, our fruit is from B.C., so not as good as Ontario's and the beef or pork is not as bad as some may say, unless you like high end restaurants!

PoF functions happen nearly every week and we do not set any limits as to how old or young you have to be to attend, if you are over 18, come on down!

Some of the newer communities may not be as nice to live in in the NW as thought, the leaders of the gangs now reside in the North Central part of the City and so one must be cautious how they approach these hard heads.

I personally like the older parts of the City but price is the main consideration. I have a place in the S.E. that is a 10 min. stroll to the river, you can see the mountains, and it is only 4 minutes to the bike path. Calgary has over 600 km of pathways for bikes and walkers, check out calgary.ca, living; there you can read what is in the neighbourhood and have a better idea of where to do your searching.

Don't be afraid to email any locals on this site if you need a tour, we all need an excuse to get out of the house sometime!!
 Northern Lights
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/12/2008 6:44:08 PM
I think even with paying the PST, things are still cheaper in BC. I was in Vancouver late last year, and was really surprised at how much cheaper things were there, even with the PST!

I think you'll have a bit of a culture shock once you get here, but you'll get used to it quick. Like Duffster said, if you ever need a tour guide....
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:56:23 PM

..the sewage fee?

See, the thing is, we do not have a big ocean to let all the raw sewage go into and then wash up on the beaches of Whiterock, so they have to close it due to sanitary reasons, or wash up on the northern shores of Washington. We have to do something with it.

Calgary is a world renown leader for sewage treatment to the extent of being the only city in Canada to get an A+ status from the Sierra Club, which monitors sewage plants throughout North America. We have high standards and are proud of the fact that downstream users have cleaner water returned to the river than we have to take from the same river.

Not all places have a charge for snow removal, our Chinooks, or snow eaters, will do that most of the time. Most places do not have that, but then I haven't rented in many years, so maybe the management outfits do it to make a bit extra on the units. (Stay away from Emerald!!)

Hope you find a good place and get out and about soon. I need a newbie to pick on!!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/16/2008 10:40:32 AM

...And Duff - just be warned - I give as good as I get ;)...

Do I see the makings of a challenge here??

Can I set the ground rules??
 Northern Lights
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:58:50 PM
Oh my.... Alluria, when it comes to our Duffy, there ARE NO lines in the sand!

I'm not sure you fully understand what you're getting yourself into!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/17/2008 9:54:41 PM
Welcome to Calgary Alluria, hope you enjoy the city,

keep in mind it is summer, so keep the umbrella close at hand!!

Castaline
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/18/2008 12:26:58 AM
So see you for breakfast on Sunday?

The only advice I have to offer is to try and enjoy our city for what it is, and not compare it to other cities.
AND if you don't like it here, then leave instead of staying and ****ing!

Oh ya, you are going to notice the dryness.
I know a really good AVON lady who will be happy to provide you with any lotions and potions you need to keep your skin hydrated!
 Taurid1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 7:42:14 PM
Duff: It's Victoria that dumps semi-treated sewage, not Vancouver.

BC has government subsdized power. The capital costs of building all those big dams were financed by the government. When my sister was looking at getting "run of river" power from the creek through her place, the supplier said "We don't sell too many of these into BC. Power't too cheap to buy."

Fridge defrosting? Calgary has half the humidity of Vancouver and a quarter or less compared to Toronto or the American south. You may not have to defrost as often as you think.
 canuck-in-oregon
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:26:54 PM
Looking for a puppy when you arrive? Visit the Calgary Humane Society first!

www.calgaryhumane.ca
 spoiledsambo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:14:47 AM
I made the move to this great city two years ago....I should have done it ten years ago. I come from a small city right on the St. Lawrence River in Ontario......beautiful. I was 30 minutes from Montreal, 40 minutes from Ottawa, 4 hours from New York City and 3 hours from Toronto. I had it all - geographically - but the people sucked. In my opinion, the majority of Ontarians are judgemental, caddy, vendictive...blah blah blah. Albertans are fantastic people. You'll love them. Just don't pine about being away from the water, remember you can always go back and visit.

Yeah, there are dumps for apartments here, but it's a place to hang your hat. As long as you're in a safe community, who the hell cares, fix it up.

I guarantee you'll love it here in Alberta. The people are amazing, the atmosphere is layed-back, the pubs are always pounding. You're in your early 30's, that is the average age of people here in Calgary.

Enjoy - don't complain - if you don't like it for all it offers - go back....but I won't!

lonelydavid77
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/21/2008 1:37:29 PM

...Duff: It's Victoria that dumps semi-treated sewage, not Vancouver...

Vancouver does too, the Sierra Legal Fund,
...Three other cities (Vancouver, Montreal, and Charlottetown) discharge some or all of their sewage with only primary treatment ...
and when it rains, their primary treatment stinks!! (pun intended!)

OT: Good for you, now when is the PARTY to get to know you????????????
 papabear316
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:41:11 PM
SNIIIIIFFFFFFF.........do you guys smell that at all???

I smell a redneck welcoming wrecker....

hmmmmm.........
*goes to the corner to ponder*
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:35:46 PM

.... smell a redneck welcoming wrecker....

Then you best get on that papabear, can't be the 18th weekend tho, I will be in Vegas!!

Create it, and we shall find some red hot for the rest of the night!!
 Northern Lights
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/24/2008 8:03:52 PM
hmmm..... maybe I'll be able to make it to the next one....

Depends on the weekend of course, but I shouldn't have a problem with doing a weekend swap with Kiddo in September.
 Northern Lights
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:19:33 PM
Honey, if you make it down for the wrecker, are you sure we're gonna still have bras by the end of the night??

We might be thumbin' a ride home at the end of the night!

I have a feeling you might be a very bad influence on me!

Oops Alluria, gettin' carried away here... I've never been to a wrecker myself, but I hear legends are made at these wreckers?? Guess we'll both be finding out firsthand soon?
 Castaline
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:27:58 PM

'redneck wrecker'?? esssssplain?

It's just a big ole Alberta party!

Apparently if you are from Alberta you are a Redneck, and a wrecker is just a party!

Well that's my definition anyway.

I hate "redneck" almost as much as "cowtown".
 Northern Lights
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:43:43 PM
You're gonna get me into trouble with you huh?

I get into enough trouble on my own thankyouverymuch!

Who needs a credit card..... apparently, we're gonna be braless, and wearing thongs... I'm thinkin' we're gonna have no problems finding a ride home....

As long as you promise to look after me... you know how my luck has been lately....
 papabear316
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:44:31 PM
Oh make no mistake about it...

Redneck is an Albertan adaptation from SASKATCHEWAN...GO RIDERS!!! LOL

Calgary is Saskatchewan's biggest city don't you know? Well, for now anyways...

Castaline is right about one thing..."cowtown", Calgary is not, sorry to say in my opinion

All the same, WELCOME TO ALBERTA!!!!
 Northern Lights
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:53:55 PM
yeah, I think we need to give Alluria her thread back cuz at the rate we're going, you're draggin' me straight to hell girl.

And that's saying a lot, cuz I'm as pure as the driven snow...

Told ya you're a bad influence.
 Castaline
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/24/2008 10:00:46 PM
Alluria,
I am pretty sure that now that you have asked so 'prettily' you will get your Wrecker.

NL, I am a pretty big music fan, and I am quite sure the quote you are looking for is
pure as the driven slush

All party planners to Kanes on Sunday!
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > Moving to Calgary...any advice?