Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does the way people pose in photos reveal their mentality?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 crushkerry23
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Does the way people pose in photos reveal their mentality?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
So, what does it mean that I have my picture up on my profile where I am posing with a life-sized model of the Simpson family…a promotional display in the lobby of the movie theater before the big movie hit?
Or with my first guide dog that died last year?
Just wondering.
 texerotic2
Msg: 8
Does the way people pose in photos reveal their mentality?
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:48:53 AM

This might sound very odd, but I've noticed that women who turn their head at an angle in photos, tilting it one way or another, are more often more shallow in real life.

I think that this is more of an "artistry" or "composition" issue, as opposed to "shallowness" (there are dozens of other things that are more suggestive of being shallow). Look at a piece of artwork, be it a painting, a sculpture, or even an artistic photograph. They are always more interesting, and look more casual (less stiff or "posed") if a person's head is turned.

I've observed that women who post pictures of them taking their own picture in a mirror with a flash camera tend to be more introverted and odd in real life.

Possibly, but "introverted" is "sexy"...lol. There is nothing *less* attractive than a person who tries to be the center-of-attention in a gathering of people.

Women with a lot of pictures in sunglasses are covering something up.

That seems to be more of a case of "vanity" than covering something up. But, "vanity" is worse than the "Seven deadly Sins" - combined.

One thing that you did not mention, which is a huge red-flag about less-than-desirable qualities, is someone (male or female) posing with a beer in their hand...lol.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/3/2008 3:19:04 PM

but I've noticed that women who turn their head at an angle in photos, tilting it one way or another, are more often more shallow in real life.

Of course, some women wear glasses and take their pictures with a webcam. If they don't tilt their heads at a certain angle, the monitor reflects in their glasses and obscures their eyes.

Ol' shallow Gwen observes that men who post pictures of themselves standing, hands in pockets, kinda wait around on corners thinking of generalized topics to posts in forums on POF.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/3/2008 3:32:58 PM
Will someone please validate me???????????????

OMG really ...if you were looking at driver license pictures and saying these things then I would say you might be on to something but alot of people only have limited ways to have pictures taken...ie my daughter took mine...the way she is used to taking picures for her and her friends myspaces...nothing to special about it, she was looking thru the lense not me. I was just happy to have a few minutes of her time and most of the time it was one picture of me and then 4 or 5 of herself until we both started laughing and that was when she got the best picture of me...

Sunglasses...your choice squinty eyes or the shades..go for the shades.
 teeajay
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/3/2008 3:48:07 PM
OP.... does a pic pose give a clue as to one's mentality? Well, certainly it MIGHT, but I think you probably are referring to a person's personal outlook and perspectives (personality) rather than their actual mental state.

I feel anyone has the right to pose in whatever fashion they choose (within the framework of this website's rules, of course). Tilt your head, lie seductively on a sofa or bed, or in whatever "come hither" pose you wish. I won't judge you. Cheesecake shots? Not a problem. Lying half naked on a Harley or wrapped in nothing but a boa constrictor. Makes no diff to me.

However, if you do opt for a playful, suggestive/salacious, flirtatious pose in your pic(s), while simultaneously describing yourself (in the profile) as demure, shy, old-fashioned, conservative, please don't be surprised if you get accused of sending "mixed signals."

Indeed, I observed one attractive lady (won't mention names) with a series of photos in her profile, a couple of which depict her posed on a sofa simulating--or at least what may be inferred as--an autoerotic act. This lady apparently has 1700+ guys tagging her as a favorite (Gee I wonder why?). Nevertheless, she narrates in her profile "Please, all you guys bombarding me with nasty propositions--I will not respond! I am not that kind of girl!".

Now if I WERE to judge this person's "mentality", it would not be based on her photo but on her lack of insight/perspective as reflected in her words.

TJ
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/3/2008 4:30:01 PM
This post is ridiculous.
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/6/2008 3:09:07 AM

I've observed that women who post pictures of them taking their own picture in a mirror with a flash camera tend to be more introverted and odd in real life.

For me, introverted, no. Odd? Probably
 clasact
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:10:30 AM
As if there isn't enough over analyzing/picking apart, critiquing going on around here. Now there's analyzing head looking up or down, tilting heads, sunglasses etc....sheesh!

Well, I guess the only solution would be, is for all of us to go down to our local police department and have mugshots taken then we would all be the same in the pic's department. And hey, they even do left side of face, right side of face AND full body shot. Howzzat? Pffftt!
 Xcen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:14:36 AM
LD, you seemed to have gored a bunch of hypersensitive oxes with your question. Now if we associate those personalities with their pictures maybe we can find new insights into individuals. I also loved the nitpicking comments about "mentality" vs "personality", which leads to more analyis of photos correlating to personality. To me its obvious that photos correlate to body language which is another well documented behavioral "science" that exists. The problem is to have enough input information to draw an accurate conclusion. The bottom line is that such analysis is subjective, requires a lot of speculation as well as experience, and as with all hypotheses you have to remain flexible to change your conclusions when new information becomes available. In direct answer to the question,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes people reveal important clues about themselves via the photos they select to represent them. Studying those clues can be helpful because it can alert us to certain traits that are incompatible with what seek in a partner. So, smile and make the world wonder what you are up to..............
 veloise
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:21:28 AM
Helpful hint: go to the Search function, and reverse the parameters so that you are seeking yourself. Then take a look at the gallery.

My favorite pics are not the full facial head-on variety (hey, you forgot the booking sign! hold it under your chin!) but the ones that show some flavor and personality. (In my own favorite, I have identifiable structures from my favorite downtown, a beautiful river, my commuter bike, a colorful top, and nifty earrings. Yep, I planned all that.)

New favorite: a fellow bicyclist has one with a gas price sign in the background. Speaks volumes about his mentality.

HTH
 SimplyUnique
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/10/2008 7:49:59 PM
I think the OP might be a troll, but I can't resist feeding him...

Pictures are nearly worthless as a personality indicator since your OWN personality determines which characteristics you perceive, and how they are peceived. Pictures also generally lack context, so most of the story you attach to them is likely based on fiction your mind came up with rather than solid fact.

Talking to people yields better clues, though even better clues yet lie in their actions.
 acitalriwt sixela
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/10/2008 8:13:22 PM

I love the ones that say "Don't contact me if you want sex or intimate encounters", but here's a shot of my cleavage with only my bra on.

Showing cleavage or other "sexy pose" does not mean only she is only here looking for sex.
 Lily0923
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 8:25:29 PM
I've noticed that men who take pics with their hands in their pockets are self absorbed and don't have a grasp of reality....
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/10/2008 9:33:05 PM

My observations are based on people I've seen online (particularly here) and what they're like when I meet them in real life. Generally any more when I see a woman picture with a bunch of tilted head big smile pictures I think this woman's potential trouble, very self-absorbed.

Good grief ~ maybe we (yes, I'm one of those types) are just happy, secure with our selves/lives, and smile because we smile. FFS.

~OP~ What I wonder are men who only post one picture from a distance, those pictures that look like big-foot footage, those that contain camo items such as autos, 4 wheelers, Bud Girls and a whole slew of other things. PFTTTT....seriously now ~ pictures are one-dimensional glimpses at someone, it would be impossible to do a psychological evaluation based upon a one-dimensional item via the net. And overgeneralizing is really a nasty habit.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/11/2008 7:46:18 AM
I do wonder, how many women has the OP dated in order to make this scientific pronouncement?

Hordes? Like, 50 women who took their pics in the mirror? 75 who tilt their heads?
 Vannili
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2008 1:28:06 AM
LD >>Posing on the camera does not reveal a person's personality or mentality, even how photogenic he/she is. I met a guy here in POF he posed in a relax way,he is really a ham and he is a favorite of 10 people and I fall for his picture and his profile.His conversation is boring and he always put his hand in his mouth like picking fishbone in his lower teeth or biting his nails ,and his unwash body odor reaches to heaven and it penetrated my brain that up to now I still smell his odor, and it is already a week ago.. You can not judge a photo of a person ,but to meet them personally..... :
 Vannili
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2008 1:35:02 AM
Sunreadawn: I was a phographer assistant I pose people on portraits,and weddings, etc..You are correct that he is wrong....:
 Vannili
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2008 10:19:35 AM
dave951 I bet they been practicing french kissing with their dog, that makes them a good lovers and sweethearts hmm, I am thinking I may be the other woman of his affection.. I can deal with that, and the kissing, as long as his dog visits a vet dentist every month...
 Cynderella
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 6:49:16 PM

tilting it one way or another, are more often more shallow in real life.

Nope just a habit.

Women with a lot of pictures in sunglasses are covering something up

Nope they are transition prescription glass

"model poses"

Nope natural pose

tilted head big smile pictures I think this woman's potential trouble, very self-absorbed.

Trouble yes...

Self-absorbed...Nope

Stop reading so much into stuff...for you may miss a great gal this way!

Vannili
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2008 9:39:36 AM
msg97,,,, You are better of with your dog, because if I am a poodle you are not my type....
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:06:42 AM

Women with a lot of pictures in sunglasses are covering something up.

Yeah. The hangover and the sunken eyes look that accompanies a hang over. Or the red-eye phenomenon.

People posts pictures that they think they look good in. Sometimes they're right and sometimes... not so much.

I can tell you this much. I would NOT want to meet a guy who'd make such bald assumptions about me based on my head-tilt (or lack thereof) or the fact that I put in a big smile (which I hardly ever do for pictures, anyway) in a photo. Especially when based on other women he's met.. which... well it's fairly obvious that I have no connection nor anything to do with women he's already met.
 turbodot
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 10:46:40 AM
You are correct in these views. Pictures literally are worth a thousand words and I think your average joe lacks the ability to draw conclusions based on pictures, profiles and interests.

Each section paints a picture and the whole page paints a whole picture. Sometimes they correlate with one another (which usually shows you the person is somewhat "real") while others have a send a lot of conflicting messages which means they are someone they are not - or trying to be.

Side note: I hate when you have people who talk about honesty and every one of their pics is at some funky angle, or not very "honest" at all.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/13/2008 12:57:21 PM
I think all yall are reading WAY TOO much into mere photos.

People strike a pose/angle that is most flattering if they're picture savvy.
Heads tilted or angled make a better picture.
A straight on face-forward pic often comes out like a boring mugshot.

Caps on men can hide baldness.
Sunglasses on either sex can hide eye wrinkles.
Other than that, the eyes and mouth expression is what to look at.
And that is subjective to each person.
A smile I find attractive you may not.
 *lilacwine*
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2008 7:29:49 PM

Possibly, but "introverted" is "sexy"...lol. There is nothing *less* attractive than a person who tries to be the center-of-attention in a gathering of people.[/quote[

Thank you from the 75% of us who are introverted and don't need to be the center of attention to feel validated!
 blonde chickie
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/17/2008 9:28:38 AM
Your pic with your hands in your pockets looks pretty shallow to me OP. Doesn't say much about u.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does the way people pose in photos reveal their mentality?