Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Bush: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bush: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter"Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Yes, that's what he said while leaving the latest G8 summit in Japan.
"Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter"

Can think of him as being the worlds biggest in a couple other categories as well.

President George Bush signed off with a defiant farewell over his refusal to accept global climate change targets at his last G8 summit.

As he prepared to fly out from Japan, he told his fellow leaders: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

President Bush made the private joke in the summit's closing session, senior sources said yesterday. His remarks were taken as a two-fingered salute from the President from Texas who is wedded to the oil industry. He had given some ground at the summit by saying he would "seriously consider" a 50 per cent cut in carbon emissions by 2050.

©independent.co.uk
By Andrew Grice, Political Editor in Hokkaido
Thursday, 10 July 2008
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/bush-to-g8-goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter-863911.html
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 2
Bush: Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter
Posted: 7/10/2008 9:55:06 AM
Probably the most eloquent statement of his White House tenure. Mighty gracious of him to 'seriously consider' a 50% reduction over the next 42 years.

For some reason, I imagine the his two-fingered salute would consist of one from each hand. Now THAT'S leadership befitting of a superpower!

For the record: I didn't vote for the jack@ss.
 oddandy
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/10/2008 10:10:11 AM
I despise Bush, but I gotta admit, that's awesome
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/10/2008 10:25:26 AM

Funny, except that it's not true anymore. We are NOT the world's largest polluter. China has overtaken us!

Wh-wh-what!?! You mean we're not #1 anymore? 'Tis a sad day for American dominance.

I imagine that a per-capita comparison would restore the title to its rightful owner.

*whew*
 sailingsouth
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 4:21:44 PM
...ah, another 'I hate Bush' thread, replete with the usual suspects. Is there a point to this, other than Bush bashing?
Oh, wait...the usual suspects....no p0int.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 11:14:31 PM

"simple logic" would indicate that maybe the worst polluters per capita should make some movement before expecting countries with low standards of living who are attempting to improve it do?

It's worth noting that while western countries are wrestling with the problems and costs of converting their infrastructure to lower emissions technologies, the Chinese and Indians are right now embarked on a huge effort to expand their power plants, factories and transportation networks. If developing countries continue to employ high pollution technologies for the next several decades as they expand their economies, by the time their standard of living exceeds that of the West, they will be equipped with huge, pollution intensive infrastructure that will be prohibitively expensive to convert. Or, at the very least, it will require further decades before it can be converted. Anyway, by the time the Chinese have North American living standards, it will be, according to many climate change activists, too late: irrevocable damage will have been done to the environment. Effective action requires that all parties contribute.
 Skydds
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/10/2008 11:59:48 PM
China and India are seriously laughing when they know one of the worlds wealthiest nations won't even accept emision reductions, so why should they?
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/11/2008 9:51:39 AM

They passionately love this country but hate the direction it is taking and are willing to speak their discontent rather than accept what is fed to them. They remind me of this country's founding fathers. They are true patriots.

Thanks for setting the record straight, Hank. The entrenched two-party system is rife with corruption, and deadlocked in partisan bickering. I served my country, and swore to uphold the ideals that made it great. My commitment to those principles didn't end when I received my honorable discharge.

Oh, and for the record, I didn't vote for either of the main contenders, and probably won't this time, either. Just ONCE I'd like to vote FOR a candidate, rather than against.
 sailingsouth
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2008 12:13:43 PM

I don't get the current administration mixed up with the people inside your country or the identity of the State itself. Why do you?

Qui s'accuse, s'excuse. It's always nice when a singer recognizes his song.....
For the record, I'm Canadian.
 rsx11s
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:53:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken, China took over from the US as the grossest polluter on earth early this year. Corrections welcome.
 Sharon4JC
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:20:17 AM
Interesting that one would make a statement that President Bush would be taking complete responsibility for the US and what we have done for climate change. It is factually known that on a personal level President Bush has done more at his Crawford home to conform to environmental and energy issues than the well known Al Gore...given a nobel peace prize for talking....however, he isn't doing. President Bush hasn't been able to get as much done as he wanted to do during his tenure but he has tried. I believe that is very difficult to get anything done without the congress behind you and the congress had diligently worked against most all that President Bush has attemped to do. As to making a comment to the some of the leaders of the G8 Summit. What would one say? When one is saddended by something that there hasn't been more done...they will often make a joke.
 Magnificentlady
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:58:16 AM
So bush acknowledges this country as one of the world's biggest polluter, as a mom of a soldier, I wish also to state that Bush is also this country's worst piece of pollution himself. (Bush hater, and proud of it.)
 cooldude54
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/13/2008 5:08:16 PM
Wow all of you,I hate to burst your bubble but the earth's climate has always been changing.........long before man came around and will do so when man is gone.....do some research.why did they find tropical plants when taking core samples in the arctic.well before man was here..you are all being duped by a political agenda.....basically to take your freedom away.......wake up before it is too late!
 Sharon4JC
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 5:56:27 PM
Exactly...CoolDude...finally someone states the facts...how refreshing!
 london150
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:36:30 PM
It is true that climates are everchanging. Humans also contribute to Global Warming. We make it worse.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 7:05:06 PM
I have to ask: Why did he choose to state this only now, when China overtook the US in the last 12 months, and not before, when everyone else was saying it?

Methinks this "joke" was a piece of "spin" thought up by a clever PR man to make us discuss the issue and to bring it to our attention that the US is no longer the biggest polluter in the world.

However, the reality is that China has 3 times as many people, and is trying to get itself to a point where it is a developed country. The US has only 1/3 the people, and is already a developed country. So the US should be able to cut at least 3 x 10 times as much as the Chinese. So if the US cuts by 50% by 2050, I would expect the equivalent adjustment in China would be a cut by 2%. Something China could probably do quite easily.

But if the US REALLY wants to make China and India cut their emissions, then they merely need to empathise with the Chinese, and the Indians. They want to reduce poverty in their countries. So they want to raise the standard of living by doing what the US and the UK did that raised their standards of living: building factories, and other technological advancements, and introducing a massive technological infrastructure. But they don't have the money that the US have yet, and they have a lot more people to provide for. So they will buy the cheapest materials and equipment out there.

So if the US wants China and India to cut their emissions, they are going to have to ensure that recyclable and ecologically sound technologies sell for the same as the current cheap old-fashioned pollutants, or preferably cheaper. Then the Chinese and the Indians will buy them, because they cannot afford to spend money they just don't have.

But recyclable and ecologically sound technologies are the next growth industry. If these are sold for cheaper than the old-fashioned pollutants, then the global market will ensure that everyone will be able to buy them for rock-bottom prices. So Americans will be able to buy them, cheaply too. So US companies will have to sell them for rock-bottom prices, or they won't make a single sale. That will mean that the next growth market for US companies will not make lots of profit, so there will be no new economic upturn for US companies, so the US would stay where it is at most, while China and India would grow ever more powerful.

The US wants to stay on top. It cannot do that and encourage China and India to cut their emissions while they are attempting to help their people out of poverty.

It's a simple choice: death of America as the top superpower, or potential death of the atmosphere. Guess which one American politicians will choose?
 Green Sangha
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 7:21:06 PM
I agree with your take on this. I must admit that when I heard that Bush had made this joke I just cringed and felt the same revulsion I often feel that this man is the President of my country. He is truly the village idiot, without much more intelligence, and with the maturity of an adolescent boy. Hey scorpiomover...would you consider a woman from the U.S. who would be happy to relocate. ;-)
 bubahotep2020
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 11:41:01 PM
ummm not to burst anyones bubble but this is a quote from the same article the op links "President Bush made the private joke in the summit's closing session, senior sources said yesterday." Notice it says sources say. No sound bites no nothing not even a direct quote, how the hell do we know he even actually said it? Not that I would put it past him. Plus saying a joke to a friend in private is a far cry then being on the podium at the end of your speach and saying that. Doesnt this fall under "I heard from a friend whos a friend of this guy whos a friend of.....yada yada yada."

I guess it takes all kinds
 Saltolibre
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 7:49:20 PM
I'm not a Bush fan nor can I figure out why he would say such a thing....On the flip side Japan is one of the worlds biggest deforesters, and have ignored any attempts/concerns for overfishing international waters....
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:27:50 PM
Easy now.

But still. He said "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter" which is an assholish thing to say, but seeing how we're not the worlds biggest, is it showing that he's out of the loop and misinformed yet again?
 cooldude54
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/15/2008 6:58:59 PM
london 150.show me the actual data that links man to a gas that has always been here and makes up a miniscule amount of our atmoshere yet is essential to life on this planet....namely CO2....plants must..must..have this to live and produce oxygen.......produce.oxygen!
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 5:57:13 PM
Message 25 ...
President Bush hasn't been able to get as much done as he wanted to do during his tenure but he has tried. I believe that is very difficult to get anything done without the congress behind you and the congress had diligently worked against most all that President Bush has attemped to do.

And which Congress would that be (???) ... which Congress is the one that diligently worked against most all that "Dubya" attempted to do????

As for the US being the world's biggest polluter ... I'm not sure about that since someone mentioned something about China.

One thing we all know for certain ... OINK ... OINK ... WE ARE THE WORLD'S BIGGEST ENERGY HOGS!!!!!
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 8:51:37 PM
"China quietly reducing carbon footprint: group

Updated Wed. Aug. 6 2008 11:43 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

China has been painted as a bad boy in the fight against global warming, but it is quietly positioning itself to become a "low carbon dragon," says a new report.

"There's two sides to the China story," Steve Howard -- London-based CEO of the Climate Group, a not-for-profit group that tries to advance the low-carbon agenda -- told CTV.ca on Wednesday.

"It's got a massive energy efficiency and renewable program, and that much of the low-carbon technology ... of the 21st century is being researched, built and rolled out in China."

This is driven by strong domestic policies and export opportunities, which Howard called a good-news story for China and the world.

Riding a carbon emissions surge since 2002, China has become the world's largest net emitter of carbon dioxide, although its per-capita emissions are about one-quarter those of Canada and the United States.

"If China's citizens emitted as much CO2 as America's, China's total emissions would be roughly equivalent to those of the entire planet today," the report said.

More than 70 per cent of China's electricity comes from cheap but "dirty" coal, with a new plant going up per week to cope with surging demand -- although Howard said many of those new plants are replacing hundreds of small, inefficient and highly polluting ones.

As China gains in prosperity through industrialization, millions more cars are being added to the road. This has led in part to the air quality problems that hang over the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

However, the Climate Group has found that China is emerging as a leader in several areas:

* It has the largest hydroelectric capacity and fifth largest wind power capacity in the world
* It ranked second in absolute dollar amount invested in renewable energy in 2007, spending US$12 billion to Germany's $14 billion
* It is a leading manufacturer of solar photovoltaic technology
* It will become the world's leading wind turbine exporter by 2009, and could become a leader in products such as solar water heaters, energy-efficient home appliances and rechargeable batteries
* It is implementing fuel efficiency standards for vehicles that are 40 per cent higher than those in the United States

China's total emissions have obviously been rising, but the overall energy intensity of its economy has improved by 60 per cent since 1980.

Energy intensity refers to the economic output per unit of carbon energy. China now produces more goods with less carbon energy than it did a generation ago. Canada's Conservative government is using an intensity-based approach to get a 20 per cent reduction in carbon output below 2006 levels by 2020.

Climate activists have argued one problem with intensity-based targets is that if output rises sufficiently, total emissions can still go up.

Global politics

China is a signatory to the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, but as a developing country, it was excluded from having to absolutely cut emissions in the 2008-2012 period. Its domestic climate plan, tabled in 2007, calls for increases in energy intensity but doesn't set firm reduction targets.

At the G8 meetings in July, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said the developing world will have to join with the developed to achieve a 50 per cent cut in greenhouse gas levels by 2050. Harper said Canada can't be expected to hurt its economy by shouldering an overly large reduction burden relative to the developing nations such as China and India.

"You can't easily hide behind the China story," Howard said. Most countries, Canada included, are doing less than China in terms of per-capita GDP spending on renewable, low-carbon energy.

"At the G8, if the facts had been in front of the leaders, Prime Minister Harper would not have been able to make the statements that he made ... he'd have had to say 'no, China's actually doing rather a lot,'" he said.

China could arguably do more, but that points to the need for a new climate deal to replace Kyoto that sets out a contract between the developed and developing world, he said.

"China's doing a surprisingly good job by itself, unilaterally," Howard said. "When China sees a genuine commitment from the developed world to reduce developed world emissions, and some sort of preparedness to help in technology transfer for the developing world, then they will go further.

"But the starting point in the West shouldn't be that China's doing nothing, because it's spectacularly inaccurate," he said."
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Bush: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter"