Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > stricter requirements for mate as you get older?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 2
stricter requirements for mate as you get older?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Oh h*ll yeah. My god the things I put up with when I was younger (even 3 years ago during my marriage) like, jealousy, self-absorbsion, having to be coddled all the time, needing someone to do everything for them ... and yeah mostly sexual compatibility!
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 4
stricter requirements for mate as you get older?
Posted: 7/11/2008 6:01:12 PM

Absolutely. When I was young all you had to be was hot. Now I'm looking for a whole lot more than that.

What are you talking about, your still young!
 lip locked
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/15/2008 6:57:38 PM
I have gotten more intune with what my likes and dislikes are. There are just some absolute things I wont negotiate. Some of that hasnt changes since I was younger.... But the personality traits (deal breakers) are more noticable and cant be overlooked as easilly if at all. Im not talking about situational problems that go away after time... Most pronounced problem that I have been encountering is how some single moms talk to there kids! They yell, threaten and verbally abuse them. Not cool in my book! I know one that is sweet and firm with her children. That is attractive to me. Tells alot of a person that treats there children with respect and is still a good parent to them. This is the kind that will probably treat you good too! My thoughts on the thread.
 isoU
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/16/2008 5:13:39 AM
That is why they are single !!!!!!!

Most single women are single because they either prudes or delusional (excluding the desire to be single).

I totally disagree ... I see it the other way ... MOST women will lower their standard to find a guy later in life. Men that would not be tolerated are banging their arse years later.

The fact is that most women later in life who wish to date MUST lower their standards because their desirability diminish and the quality and quantity of men do as well.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:30:59 AM
I am willing to "put up with" a lot more now than when I was younger. When I was younger I thought I had to find the perfect man, and now I relize there are no perfect people.
 innocentantic
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 5:42:06 PM
I am eager to hear someone say no to this question. Why wouldn't your requirements get stricter? I suppose if you become less attractive to the opposite sex and have fewer options, I suppose... but still, could you put up with someone you don't want just to have someone? Maybe... a matter of necessity, I suppose... but hopefully no one ever gets to that point, right?

Anyway, absolutely I am pickier as I get older. I did find another way I might suggest something helpful to you, OP:

"sexual compatability ( although I am not sure how to weed this info out early on in the relationship)"... one of the ways you might consider guaging the likelihood of successful relationships with your potential mates, is to experiment sexually with them BEFORE your relationship becomes serious and committed. Early on in the relationship is a great time for this, since you should both be really hot for each other, anyway.
 UTURN1
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 5:43:37 PM

Perhaps is not that you have "stricter requirements" as you get older, I think that as you mature and grow into your own skin you become self assured and assertive, you come to terms with who you are and who you are not, and as you age, each year, month, week, day becomes more valuable and you are less likely to waste your precious time chasing after the wrong guy/gal. You also realize that as an individual you cannot change another individual, you take or leave people as they are good, bad or indifferent. In short as you age, you tend to be less and less tolerant of stupidity and immaterial attitudes.

BINGO!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > stricter requirements for mate as you get older?