Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is microwave cooking bad for you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JeffC13
Msg: 1
Is microwave cooking bad for you?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Now, I remember in the early 80s, people used to get their microwaves tested for radioactivity, or some such...

I suppose my question is, has this techonology evolved to the point where it's truly safe, or is it another one of those things that's contributing to the cancer epidemic and no one is really talking about it?

Something just seems really unnatural about heating up something with no flame, no steam, and no hot plate... and then ingesting it... That being said, I'm also an excessive microwaver and wonder if I'm poisoning myself and my hopes of golden years with daily use.

Anyone hear much of anything on this topic over the years?
 therearenonamesavail
Msg: 2
Is microwave cooking bad for you?
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:31:35 PM
Its actaully quite natural, its pretty much the same as how the sun heats the earth. They use microwave radiation to excite the water molecules in the food and cause heat. I think the biggest issue of danger was the fact the oven wasnt shielded properly it would "cook" things outside the microwave oven IE: you. Most ovens are safe. I had an older one and had some plastic sitting next to it while i was making popcorn and the plastic was melted when the popcorn was done. HMMM that oven is now in the garbage. It isnt my first choice for cooking, i use it for reheating and thats about it.
 dave382satx
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/16/2008 9:55:03 AM
jeffc13:

Microwaves are not the same as radioactivity. They are simply high frequency, and thus short (micro) radio waves that cause objects to heat up from molecular friction. Perfectly safe. Nothing radioactive is left in the food you heat up. However, you do have to be careful about the container you're using to heat things in. Do not use styrofoam or plastic. Harmful chemicals could leach out into your food. Heat things up in microwave safe glass or ceramic that is made for the job. Most common kitchen ceramic bowls are ok.

I don't know if lead is still being used in ceramic bowl glazing. If it is, you certainly wouldn't want to heat anything in it, or even have it in your kitchen. So, if it was made in China, maybe it's got lead in it. I don't know, but somehting to think about.
 rsx11s
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:40:13 AM
Prior to the capitalist revolution in Russia microwave ovens were not legal; the Russians had found they change the food. Look up "radiolytic food products".

Also if you have a gauss meter that measures electromagetic strenth you'll probably notice the entire room is lit up and in the red ("danger") part of the dial when the microwave is running.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:52:08 AM
seaspot...you're kidding right?
It's STILL water!

And how does the food "turn Toxic"???
 JeffC13
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/16/2008 12:35:07 PM
Good information.... Thanks guys... .
 texasbaby
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 1:06:19 PM
Hey now! I for one, am NOT giving up my microwave,, I love it! Actually,, I have two of them and they work for me everyday. Besides the dishwasher, I love my microwaves better than anything in my kitchen. If plants watered with microwaved water won't grow,, well I just won't microwave the plant water. Problem solved.

tb
 tchofclas
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:59:44 PM
therealone:
Great, another cancer-causing issue. Did you know that everyone who gets cancer has drunk dihydrogen monoxide yet the FDA refuses to ban it? Think about it.
Don't know if you were serious about this or not? If you were, read http://www.plasticsmythbuster.org/polystyrene.asp?src=goog

wild heart:
They have been around for 60 years. Just how much longer do you think it will take to show up?
 rsx11s
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/22/2008 5:29:30 AM

Gauss is a measurement of magnetic flux density within a magnetic field. You are at more risk of becoming ill from sunspots (which interfere with the Earth's magnetic field) than you are from a microwave oven (which doesn't).

If magntic flux is harmless why did CRT makers greatly reduce emissions of stray EMI?
 djrdx
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 6:33:46 AM
well, you can use a microwave to prepare a 5 star meal
was taught in chef school how to use it to pretty good effect when you are suddenly faced with hordes of customers, and only so little stove space

i dont think its that bad though, well, warming up the food in it that is.
 DDay555
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 6:22:30 AM
Hmmmm... So microwave cooking is..... Bad right? It kills water...

JustKelly70
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:50:26 PM
Op. Are you serious or just stupid??? Once the nuker stops beeping it's safe to open..Never ever open it before...You will go sterile...Apparently a hotdog tend's to hold the radiation so it's not recommended to cook em in the microwave..
 notjesus
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/2/2008 3:20:04 PM
My microwave is an oversized clock for my kitchen that occasionally makes popcorn. And I'm gonna switch to stovetop for that soon enough, or an air popper.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2009 1:56:41 PM
Guess the radiation got to ya, You actually thought I was serious...
 texasbaby
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2009 10:35:21 PM
Do not ever touch my microwave or my coffee pot! You will endanger your health,,, I'm just saying.....

tb
 wants2bwu
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/1/2009 9:59:07 AM
Posted By: rk92559 on 8/23/2008 1026 AM
Subject: Is microwave cooking bad for you?
Message: Yes..microwaves are bad..unn kay. They are part of a Government plot to give us all cancer, and I have a suspicion that Orville Redenbacher was in on it (never trusted that guy, but that kettle corn is awesome). The atomic bombs they set off every week while our parents and grandparents stood out in the streets of Nevada and watched while a radioactive cloud drifted over the whole country had nothing to do with cancer increasing..it was those damn microwave ovens. I think we should all retreat to the woods and live in a hut and burn animal turds to cook with to escape the plot.
OMG!!!!!!!! am laughing at this one.....but yeah, micowaves are bad for the health...
this is a quote from a naturopathic doc: "Microwave ovens cause molecular changes in the food structure, turning natural occurring components of food into toxic substances. Stay at least four feet away if you must use one."
 wants2bwu
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/1/2009 10:07:40 AM
if you wear aluminum or tin foil on your head you are safe from microwaves and the CIA can't read your thoughts also.

OMG!!!!!!!!! too funny
 stenmanexe
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/6/2009 6:13:58 PM
A microwave is more meant for melting or thawing things out or taking away the chill/cold, rather then actual cooking. If you doing something like taking the ice off of something, or melting butter or cheese, then a microwave is ideal, but for actually cooking something like a lasagna or shepherd's pie or anything is just wrong for numerous reasons. The biggest one is it cooks VERY unevenly. Although you can control "settings" on a microwave, it doesn't operate the same way as turning up or down on a stove of a grill. A microwave also has a tendency to make food, especially processed foods, very soggy. A great example is Breaded Chicken Tenders/Nuggets/Fingers. Take 10 Chicken pieces. Put 5 in an oven at 375F and bake for about between 15-18 minuts. Put the other 5 in a microwave at high-10 setting and nuke for about between 3 and 3 and a half minutes. While both are cooked and hot, the quality and edibility of them is VERY significant. A microwave really should just be used to thaw or melt things, not cooking.

That's my opinion as both a cook/chef and as a common person.
 mik1950
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/6/2009 7:32:43 PM

Never ever open it before...You will go sterile...

you mean i went thru the agony of a vasectomy all for nothing?...if only i had known...
i use my microwave for...reheating stuff...
as a timer...
they are totally safe...some foods go all wonky if you reheat them in the nuker tho...
they will rejuvenate a piece of stale bread if set for the right amount of time...any longer and it goes hard as a rock...
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Is microwave cooking bad for you?