Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HappyGreySquirrel
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I find it off putting. I'm not sure why. I've nothing against drink but it seems a little two dimensional. Tends to go with "I like the usual things..." which assumes that clubbing, shopping and getting out of your skull is usual.

I certainly don't see it as a "plus" as the main picture, or as a feature of all pictures!

[grins] Maybe I'm turning into an Olde Pharte (tm)...
 KTDID78
Msg: 8
view profile
History
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....
Posted: 7/19/2008 9:46:31 PM
I find it about as attractive as the guys waving the bird at you in photos...classy.

mcbobly
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 10:18:32 PM
OMFG, this thread is as ridiculuos as the one I read the other day where a poster was complaining of guys taking pics IN their apartments. Sounds like some people have nothing better to do other than complain about others pics and the content, geez, where does it end, if at all.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:21:13 AM
Damn, people are overthinking this thing! Simple explanations...folks are usually having a few beers at parties. People also bring their cameras along to parties, and take pictures. Most of us don't chronicle our daily lives, so usually when there are pictures taken we're at a wedding, or a birthday or some other celebration where drinks are served. Or on vacation somewhere fun, which might also involve a few drinks. The vast majority of people can control their alcohol intake. For those who can't, I'm sorry that lack of control has been a cause of trouble in your life. But that doesn't mean my attitude should match yours. For instance, the OP states right up front that he no longer drinks, which I'm guessing means he had a problem in the past. By objecting to someone's picture posted with a beer in hand, he is projecting his problem and his disapproval onto someone he doesn't even know, based on his circumstances and perceptions. Seems a narrow way of thinking to me. I'm not arguing in favor of alcohol here, just that if you have a problem with it, don't date people who drink. But don't act superior about it.
 pearlj
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:21:15 AM

OMFG, this thread is as ridiculuos as the one I read the other day where a poster was complaining of guys taking pics IN their apartments. Sounds like some people have nothing better to do other than complain about others pics and the content, geez, where does it end, if at all.

We need a forum for ****ing about random silly lil things so that we can have a nice holiday away from the sometime frustrations of daily life. Even you must need this vent, because you are ****ing about our ****ing....hypocrite
 mcbobly
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:37:34 AM
We need a forum for ****ing about random silly lil things so that we can have a nice holiday away from the sometime frustrations of daily life. Even you must need this vent, because you are ****ing about our ****ing....hypocrite

So I suppose this means you're on this ****ing and whining bandwagon? It just seems like some people have nothing better to do that whine and complain about the content of others pics. So needing to **** and whine is necessary to enjoy a nice holiday from the frustrations of daily life? Geez, I can surely find lots of other ways to enjoy a holiday or escape the frustrations of the daily life that do not include ****ing or whining or beer. But so what is some people have a pic with them holding a beer, what's next complaining about pics with their pets in them too? Oy! Also, how does me making a statement like this make me a hypocrite?
 untamed one
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:35:01 AM
Personally I like the martini being held up pictures ..either you or your bartender put a lot of effort into that drink and now is the reward . As I always say to my bartender person , we’ve had enough to drink. Now let’s have too much....
 pearlj
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:08:36 AM

So I suppose this means you're on this ****ing and whining bandwagon? It just seems like some people have nothing better to do that whine and complain about the content of others pics. So needing to **** and whine is necessary to enjoy a nice holiday from the frustrations of daily life? Geez, I can surely find lots of other ways to enjoy a holiday or escape the frustrations of the daily life that do not include ****ing or whining or beer. But so what is some people have a pic with them holding a beer, what's next complaining about pics with their pets in them too? Oy! Also, how does me making a statement like this make me a hypocrite?

Since when did emoticons lose their efficacy in implying emotion? I was just joking, relax I don't think everyone who uses a beer emoticon, or has a bottle in his or her hand is a drunk. But the people that post it all over their page, and all over their messages give me the indication that they are a hard partier, and I'm over that stage.

ps, If I was a b!tchy person, I would have started b!tching about your b!tching about our b!itching, but alas, I deleted that post in an effort to keep my brain from imploding, thus proving you wrong so there! lol
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:38:21 AM
I've wondered about that myself. I see those pics and think, "Yeah, just what turns a woman on -- a guy puking all over her shoes!" Especially if it's his profile pic or if all his pics are boozing pics.

If one pic out of the eight is the guy with a beer, that's another story -- particularly if the picture shows him maybe out on the deck enjoying a barbeque or something. But the Frat Rat Ties One On photos? They tell me that not only is the guy blotto half the time, he's not very bright because he actually thinks being a boozer attracts women.
 Cinamin47
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:48:18 AM
Yah I don't like those beer or bar photos either. Frankly those kind of men remind me of the dirty "white trash" lifestyle. There's way too much of it. It's classless.
 mcbobly
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 1:19:56 PM

I don't think everyone who uses a beer emoticon, or has a bottle in his or her hand is a drunk. But the people that post it all over their page, and all over their messages give me the indication that they are a hard partier, and I'm over that stage

Indeed, that I understand and totally get, might send the wrong signal or amke for a bad impression.

ps, If I was a b!tchy person, I would have started b!tching about your b!tching about our b!itching, but alas, I deleted that post in an effort to keep my brain from imploding, thus proving you wrong so there! lol

Hehe, ok, truce? I wasn't trying to upset you or come across as a hypocrite or a
b!tching complainer nor was I trying to make it seem as though I was attacking you, I just thought it was unfortunate that some people would complain about the content of someones pics, but I can understand the concern in this on, so if I offended you or got you riled up, I apologize, I'll send myself to my room and promise to be a good boy later.
 untamed one
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/20/2008 1:38:32 PM

I guess I'm just gonna be happy being an unattractive beer drinkin' goofball.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 2:23:57 PM
If it's one pic with friends obviously celebrating and no one looks like they are fall down drunk it is no big deal, if a drink is a component of every pic, then you figure it helps you weed out people you don't want in your life.

Better question is to ask yourself if you would be upset if someone failed to advertise in such a way but you found out months down the road that what you thought was a bit of boisterous drinking is an alcohol problem. Seems that while this is a turn-off, you should count it as a blessing.
 arwen52
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 2:57:15 PM
I find it a big turn-off. Ditto for photos of a guy with a woman and a guy with his car, truck, or motorcycle.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:22:18 PM
So that's the problem!!! I have a Corona in once pic. Now it all makes sense.

Good grief OP ~ I've seen some silly judgments here, but in all these years, I've never considered posting something over a pic that reads similar to "Come with me and let me ruin your life." That is just silliness. If someone doens't want to meet/date/or talk to someone who finds tipping a few socially acceptable in their own life they shouldn't write anyone who clearly states: drink? socially. Pretty simple.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:01:45 PM
Some guys just don't have a large assortment of pictures of themselves around from which to choose ... at least not pictures of them completely clothed that show their faces.
 BIGLOUMARINI
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:20:10 AM
I would never put a pic up showing me with a beer in my hand. I don't want people thinking I'm just a partier. Although it doesn't bother me seeing porfiles of women with pics holding alcoholic beverages
 feeltobefree
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:35:07 AM
Happily Ever in post 11 said it best.

Hmm..but maybe just maybe all you people who spend their time looking for the possible bad in pictures are still on POF or still searching for someone because you are a bit narrow minded. Turned off because someone is holding a drink? WOW.

Maybe the one you can fall in love with enjoys a drink or two. But you would never know would you.

You know what a turn off is, people who pre-judge you without getting to know you first. Especially because of a couple of pictures on the internet.

Oh by the way, why is drinking a bad thing? It is not criminal the last time I checked.
 celts123
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:54:56 AM
Maybe these photos were the best shots of them. Maybe these photos were taken at some important event or a regular night out with friends where many people usually have a few beers. I don't think anyone should assume that a person is alcohlic just because he or she has a beer in their hand.
 imsickofthegame
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:13:12 PM
Lol. The beer thing makes perfect sense to me- that is, it sending the wrong message. I think it cheapens women and sends a flimsy message when they let nothing but cleavage shots do the talking for their profiles, but most of that opinion got me nothing but spite and attacks on this forum so I won't be going there again.
 sorrypluto
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:23:55 PM
I too, find it appalling that girls have photos when they're half trolleyed. It also makes me wonder that if they're out having so much fun with the glass of chardonnay in their hand, why are they on an online dating site trying to find that elusive guy? Once upon a time I used to go out alot and drink but that was in my 20's. Now that I am older, I feel that all nighters at the pub or club is on the low end of my priority list.
It is not a good look at all. There are plenty of women on other sites here in Australia where they look smashed out of their skulls. It may be funny at the time to them but at the end of the day it is about other people and their perceptions of the photo
Great site - plenty of fish!
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:47:59 PM
Whats with the beer props?
Believe it or not....I think they believe it to make them look "cool"
ever go to a club and see people who can't dance hold a drink while seeming to look around whenever their senses come to them as if looking for the beat they obviously lost before they got on the floor?

BTW, its almost as dumb for people to post nothing but group/couple pic(s) and/or pics of their pet. "hey, you don't know me but you will have to figure out which one i am out of the group based upon my very limited,general description in my profile" People who post pictures of their children on a DATING website are just plain stupid. What do they think? Someone will find them more attractive once they see their chid(ren)? Whats the (ill) logic behind that?

Then again....my pics on profile were deleted for no good reason!
 Dceeeee
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:22:19 PM
I've been on this site for over a couple of years now, and I try to change my pics regularly to keep them current. I'm not the type that likes to approach people to take a pic of me, though, so I will often get them when I go somewhere on a vacation or am out. I drink 1 or 2 glasses of wine maybe once a month, (if that), unless I'm: 1) on vacation, 2) it's a Holiday, or the period between Christmas and New Years, or 3) a verrrry occasional drink with a friend or with a meal, (even that is 'sometimes'...as I usually order water...)

So wouldn't you know it? ...In over 2 years time, I put up ONE pic of me with a glass of alcohol in my hand....and it raises a red flag? Sorry...that red flag is lying....and ANYONE who knows me IRL would laugh if anyone would suggest that I could have a drinking problem.

First I got an email asking what I was suggesting to horny old men when I sit on the bed with a glass of wine in my hand. Whoops! I then remembered back in 2005 or something, there was a thread like this, so even though I figured the guy was kidding, I thought I'd get the opinion of some of my male friends my age...all said they thought nothing of it. (I DID have wording above that stated that I was at a convention) One even had this to say...

Okay, from the point of view of a “horny old man,” I took a cold hard look.
I saw it before and noticed the bed. Didn’t notice the drink, but saw the caption. But, because you asked, I increased the size of the picture so I could see it very well.
So, la de da . . . there’s a snapshot of you, fully clothed, sitting on a bed -- and you even have a sport coat on. Smiling, too! Which tells me that you were probably partying with friends at a meeting somewhere out of town and that someone you may not know all that well snapped a photo while some of you you were talking in someone’s room. That’s my impression the first time I saw it and it still is.

When I started going through menopause, I was having problems with a teenager, and an alcoholic SO who was getting worse all the time, and frankly I wanted to get away from it all. So I thought....I'm going to start having a beer every night when I get off work. ...maybe it would relax me. Know what? I kept FORGETTING!!!! So much for that!

~DC~
 mthomjmark
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:06:09 PM
I agree; for the younger crowd drinking and doing the party thing is very chic. they love to show how wild they are.

I think the funniest one was this 21 year old girl that only said in her profile that she wanted a good Christian guy who didn't do drugs or drank; She then had photos of her in a ton of sexual poses while she's holding beer in her hand; nice.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/22/2008 8:58:43 AM
Can someone please clarify what is wrong with a drink in a picture?

I came across the following on this thread.

The individual is a possible alcoholic: Well thats a bit far fetched and pretty much a big assumption without meeting someone.

The individual is a party goer and stays up late socializing with some drinks: Well people enjoy parties and we are all adults here so we are allowed to stay up late and socialize. And party goer? well again its a couple of pictures. Doesn't really live up to the phrase '24 hour Party People'. Those pictures could have been take a couple of months apart. And what if its one photo? Perhaps the picture was taken at one wedding or party? Party is a bad thing? Again big assumption.

You do not like to drink so you'd rather not have your date drink: A bit narrow minded I think. Something so trivial that you will not pursue some sort of relationship or investigate their other good qualities because of this?

Someone posted 'Not classy' : Definition of 'classy' ; of high class, rank, or grade; stylish; admirably smart; elegant. Hmmmm.. don't they serve alcohol at classy restaurants and establishments? Now funneling beer is not classy I agree but again are we going to generalize and say all forms of drinking is not classy?

Cause it makes them look cool: Well thats just plain stupid. Who drinks to be cool? Are we in high school here? Can someone not enjoy the taste of a drink anymore?

Let me ask you this. If you meet someone on POF and all their pictures are void of drinking. You go on a date to a restaurant and they order a glass of wine or some other drink. Are you going to get up and leave? Are you going to count that as a strike against them already?

Now I can understand people do not want to date or partner up with someone because they are party goers and clubbers, or they drink their faces off at parties every week or because of religious reasons because hell you know better than any of us that you most likely wont mesh well with those sort. But again it is a picture. Can you conclude all of that from a picture? A minuscule representation of someone.

For go all your past trials and keep an open mind. Your gem is hiding in the rough. Dig it out. Don't bury with trivial prejudices like that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....