Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 1
Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His LeadPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
An article in today's Wall Street Journal says voters feel they can identify more with Republican candidate John McCain than with Democratic candidate Barack Obama. "The survey's most striking finding: Fully half of all voters say they are focused on what kind of president Sen. Obama would be as they decide how they will vote, while only a quarter say they are focused on what kind of president Sen. McCain would be."

This data was gathered from a recent poll which also found that voters were uncomfortable with Obama's background. "Voters have a sense they know what they're going to get if they elect John McCain, but an uncertainty about Barack Obama that they are trying to sort through."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121684823498078481.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

On leadership capabilities those polled favored McCain saying he was "more knowledegable and experienced" more capable of being Commander in Chief, more honest, more consistent and has better leadership qualities. Obama fared better on intangibles like "offering hope", "being easygoing and likeable" and being compassionate.

This certainly flies in the face of the opinion of many Obama supporters who think his lead is unsurmountable.

What are your thoughts?
 7iron
Msg: 2
Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:15:56 AM
The Obama campaign is fully aware of this and they will adjust accordingly. Remember the people behind all this have put together the biggest facade of a presidential candidate ever, but they have a wealth of money and excellent marketing skills. Expect them to limit his exposure in public to only scripted appearances as much as possible, as well as his wife's.

Another thing that you'll see and it's already starting to appear on this site is the left pointing out the attraction to some conservatives and independents to Barr and write-ins for Ron Paul.
This what I would call the Perot syndrome which won Clinton the election in 1992. Divide and conquer if you will.

It is my hope that the good citizens of the "Fly Over Country" will see this for what it really is (BS) and come through for America once again.

Remember also that you still have Hillary and her "suspended campaign" out there.
The John Edwards story and the official complaint filed to the Illinois State Bar about Obama are the beginning of her team's ploy to get her the nomination.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:34:43 AM
And we know Bill Clinto NEVER cheated on his wife!

Are you saying the cheating made him a bad President?

By all accounts George Bush has been completely faitful to Laura.

Does that make him a GOOD President?

McCain's cheating happened after he just came back from prison, and his marriage was troubled. There's no indication he's cheating on Cindy.

But even if he WAS, what difference does it make?

McCain doesn't refer to Asian people as gooks. He referred to his captors as gooks. All the NamPows did and still do refer to them this way. It's a term of disrespect, and meant that way.

There are also Jane Fonda urinal "dart boards" at every convention.

Then you cite an attack piece on McCain from 2006 as proof that he's unfit to serve.

Further, what does this have to do with the opening statement? The WSJ poll found that the public, even Obama supporters, think McCain has the leadership skills and Obama doesn't.

The people who are in favor of Obama are voting on issues, but even they think that Obama is incapable of carrying through.

Anyone remember Jimmy Carter?

To 7iron. I'd love to think that Hillary's campaign could be resurrected, but it ain't gonna happen. The Dems are stuck with Obama.

7iron
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:38:24 AM
"It is ridiculous to think that Obama is anything other than who he says he is."

That's because who he says he is depends on who he's describing himself to at the time.
You'd think he's everything to everyone the way he tells every group exactly and only what they want to hear. Reminds me of a used car salesman.

flyguy51
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:04:40 PM
I get used car salesmen vibes from Edwards and Romney. Not at all from Obama.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:25:20 PM

I get used car salesmen vibes from Edwards and Romney. Not at all from Obama.

I use to get that feeling with Edwards...till Obama came along. Obama outshines Edwards in this category by a long long long way.

All these polls... having Obama in the lead... are not 'polling' true Middle America...just as previous elections have historically demonstrated. Fact.

With it being this close, this gives me a real indication that McCain will win by a landslide.
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:58:28 PM

Honestly, I think McCain would make a horrible president given his history of outbursts.

WE also think that.
Talk about scary...
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:04:46 PM
McCain is gaining ground according to the most recent poll.

McCain Makes Gains in 4 Swing States

July 24 2008 -- A new poll shows John McCain made gains on Barack Obama in four key November battleground states — Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin — giving McCain a slight edge in one state, and chipping away at Obama’s lead in the others.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07/24/mccain-makes-gains-in-4-swing-states/

Guess they agree with those folks who answered the WSJ Poll.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:12:28 PM
And...yet...another new poll.

Rasmussen Poll

63% said that Obama's trip Overseas does Not make him more qualified to be President.

These Polls are being taken every day and released every morning.

The air in Obama's balloon is leaking at a faster and faster rate.
 7iron
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:13:45 PM
As I've stated in other posts, I despise McCain and I am conservative and I will be voting for him or should I say voting against Obama. I don't know any conservatives that are jumpimg up and down about how happy they are with McCain. He got in by way of a fluke in the early primaries and when came down to him or Hucklebee, he was the lessor of two evils.

From the conservative point of view Obama has a hidden agenda and none of us are going to buy into his BS. I think he'll do well on the east coast and the west coast because they're just as liberal as he is but he'll lose the heartland vote and we'll dodge a big bullet.
 o4
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:15:43 PM
"Obama fared better on intangibles like "offering hope", "being easygoing and likeable" and being compassionate.

These are the qualities that people like typically at the beginnings and yet still early times of campaigns, or in years when easier times are in hand all the way up through the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Yet in tough times, people ultimately vote for perceived tougher leaders. The example is that in 1960 by and large America was in 'easy times' and we picked a 'warm' leader JFK over Nixon. However, eight years later, when we were mired in terrible circumstances, we picked the 'colder' candidate promising to "restore law and order".
Now as times continue to evolve even just over these months from when Obama was dubbed the Democratic Candidate (Apparent) until the yet upcoming DNC in which the official candidate will be announced, I'm still not certain that we can truly say that Hillary Clinton is fully out of the picture yet as a candidate as the Super Delegates are still not fully out of the picture with their voice despite how the popular Democrat delegates may have to line up based on primaries earlier.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:23:18 PM

Rasmussen Poll

63% said that Obama's trip Overseas does Not make him more qualified to be President

Asking hard core republicans if they think Obama is qualified, seems like this is a good number as it means 37% of them are leaning toward Obama.

The only voters uneasy are supporting a guy that doesn't use a computer and can't get it together to use a tele-prompter.

PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:28:12 PM

I'm still not certain that we can truly say that Hillary Clinton is fully out of the picture yet as a candidate as the Super Delegates are still not fully out of the picture with their voice despite how the popular Democrat delegates may have to line up based on primaries earlier.

I don't think Hillary is out of the picture for a shot at the Democrat Nomination. Obama's camp is losing ground on getting funding. He's losing his base by pandering to Center and Right of Center. He... Obama himself... keeps playing the 'Race' card. It simply is turning off a huge portion of Middle America.

If it keeps going this close in the polling with McCain and if Obama continues his slide, the Dem. Delegates at the Convention can and for real.. might... officially elect Hillary Clinton as their Candidate.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 1:41:53 PM
Hmmm..... Obama's the first mixed race candidate for President of a major party, and he's been accused of being almost everything possible except being on the Grassy Knoll on November 22nd, 1963.

(By the way, where WAS he that day ? )

So with all the chatter, it's normal that some people are going to be wary of things. As I was saying in another thread, all the "crying wolf" stories are actually seemingly helping him - as people "burn out" from them. That's a really strange thing to see, in the same country where falling off a stage ( Dole) , or putting on a helmet (Dukakis) can cost you an election.

I think this is going to really make a major change after both conventions are over, and especially when the two men debate together. That's really going to show what's really involved here, the contrast, and I do believe it will wind up decided in Obama's favor in the end.

I see it as literally the old vs the new, a crossroads moment in American political history.
 o4
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/24/2008 2:16:53 PM

I see it as literally the old vs the new, a crossroads moment in American political history.

MontrealGuy: I always read your posts, don't always agree with you. But boy do I think you hit it on the head with that! - It's going to be a night to remember as its apparently set up to play out.

Sidenote: Hard as it was to watch Bob lose, he lost for a lot more reason than just the falling off of the stage. Bob Dole just didn't relate to his audience. I like Bob. I like Mrs. Dole too. But, he really got hung up...... Hmmmm........I wonder if Elizabeth could be talked into the VP slot on the ticket?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/24/2008 2:17:04 PM
I also read that in Germany, 77% of Germans polled would like to see Obama in office vs. 11% for McCain, so I guess that makes him.........drum roll...........another "new Hitler"!

No, it doesn't make him Hitler, but it does make him the perfect leader . . . for Germany!

o4: I agree with you on Dole. He plays a lot better, and is a lot more charming in small groups. He has a wicked sense of humor that doesn't play well in front of a big crowd. I was a chief of staff on the Senate side in the 80s and of course knew him.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/24/2008 2:21:07 PM

No, it doesn't make him Hitler, but it does make him the perfect leader . . . for Germany!
Sooooo true!

And... the News also said that the Germans tend to actually cast votes against what the polls state prior to elections. Like in the USA. Think they must have the same Poll firms we do.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/24/2008 3:19:04 PM
I hate to break the news Dixie, but even if Ron Paul gets elected your taxes are going up.

The monetary markets just aren't going to let you continue to run deficits - the US $ will tank; foreigners will be unwilling to buy US debt (or stocks for that matter); inflation will skyrocket and interest rates will rise in lockstep; businesses and consumers will pull back when borrowing becomes more expensive. Artificially low taxes will kill the US economy - high inflation, high unemployment and high interest rates.

You complain of those who want a free ride, yet are unwilling to shoulder the weight yourself.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/24/2008 3:29:51 PM
Middle America will come to the rescue and show the clustered Democratic East and West Coasts that they are sitting on the fringes of a Nation bonded together with Conservative values and a pride in this Nation. Middle America is going to show it's collective Voice in spite of the constant spin by the Liberal media.

No way will they allow Obama with his Wright ideology and gangster Chicago ties become the leader of this Nation. Why would they? Plus, look at the 'Nanny State' of Illinois. Chicago voted the most 'Nanny city' in the Nation. This is not what Middle America wants and the fear of Obamaics making America like Chicago will be enough fear to make Middle America take to the voting booths and cast their vote for McCain.

Like I've said, this Forum at this site is a teeny tiny representation. It's logical for the majority here to be Liberals. It's based in Canada and if one had been here awhile back.. the Conservative Poster was far and very few inbetween. The numbers are still where the Liberals outnumber the Conservatives... which is fine. It's one reason I come here to post. I like a challenge.

Go to other Forums and it will be a real eye opener. Middle America (Conservatives) are making their voice heard loud and clear. And, via talk radio.

McCain '08
 flyguy51
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/24/2008 4:29:59 PM

I also have this thought that if he gets elected, he is going to open the doors to any and all Africans and bring them here and give them a free ride

This thought comes from a fearful and ignorant place.

Go to other Forums and it will be a real eye opener.

No doubt. Probably a real brain dissappointer, too.
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/24/2008 4:30:56 PM

No way will they allow Obama with his Wright ideology and gangster Chicago ties become the leader of this Nation. Why would they? Plus, look at the 'Nanny State' of Illinois. Chicago voted the most 'Nanny city' in the Nation. This is not what Middle America wants and the fear of Obamaics making America like Chicago will be enough fear to make Middle America take to the voting booths and cast their vote for McCain.

In the arena where people feel safe to voice their true opinions without being accussed of being racist or sell outs...many are saying they are not voting Bami...He scares them with his radical background, many site this "Show me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are" With his Race hating friends and Terrorist connections people question who is this guy really? 143 days in the Senate and now he's running for president? He defended his friends and said he wouldn't ever turn his back on them....then when it became obvious that his friends of 20 plus years are Radicals and terrorist to the people, he shifted his opinions and threw them under the bus!
He can't even admit that the "Surge" worked he has to come up with factors that followed the Surge because of the Surge...These tribes and Shi Ites/Sunnies didn't decide to work together until they saw the success of the surge by purging AlQaeda from the areas, then the war lords and civil unrest became involved! Iragi people didn't amass them selves by them selves the troops aided them in this thus the Government could begin meeting and start working on issues! Bami is a joke and the more he speaks the more people are seeing he is full of crap and just doesn't get it?

Even his own press secretaries...Katie Brian and Charlie keep asking him the same question hoping to get a straight answer...he is unwilling to admit that the Surge worked, yet he now says we need a surge in Afghan??? Huh??? This is why so many are turning away from him even those who were impressed early on are saying he's nothing more then a Political Rev Wright! Rev,Wright called it right when he said he's just saying what he needs to say he's a politician trying to get elected...
 southernlass
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:20:59 PM
I am a little relieved that many are beginning to see what I saw the first moment I heard Obama open his mouth. Obama is a globalist, even more so than John McCain. Obama wants to take our earned income, raise our taxes to the max, and funnel all the money to other nations through the Global Poverty Act, when we can't even pay our debt here in this country! I mean this guy sees us giving hand outs to a world when we can't even pay our own bills. This is because Obama does not give a damn about the sovereignty of the USA.

Obama's vision is a global community, a one world government where he perceives peace will reign, and he will lead us to this with ease. Riiiiiiiiiiight. There will be no peace. Perhaps initially, but that peace will not last. Kiss the United States of America goodbye under Obama. Seriously wave goodbye to it as you prepare to become part of a global community where there are no more borders, where martial law reigns under a one world militaristic police force, where you have no more freedom to worship as you please, where a one world religion is created, perhaps by Obama himself.

You won't be able to buy or sell unless you cooperate with the cash less society he creates, after he's done doing away with the dollar and we're all using the one world government's newly created monetary system.

This is like reading a bad novel, it's so surreal. And it's happening right in front of our very eyes. I pray to God above that the people of the United States of America wake up and cast a vote for McCain so that we don't have an Obama presidency. Our country simply can't recover from four years of Obama. And you're talking uneasy? Uneasy is the classic understatement we all ought to be feeling. We ought to be outright terrified!

flyguy51
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:44:27 PM

This is like reading a bad novel, it's so surreal.

Well, you are the one outlining it. Unless you are talking about the Book of Revelation-- "The prophecy will be fulfilled!"
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:10:04 PM

Actually in this year when all things are going against any Republican candidate for President, Obama should be at least 10 points ahead in the polls. He has served less than 150 days in the Senate, has no "credentials" on National Security, and has no "executive" experience whatsoever. And there was "nothing"substantive in his speech in Berlin today

Mr.Historian,
You sir are absolutely correct...as bad as the left proclaims the Bush Administration has been and pontificates that McCain is Bush III you would think it would be an absolute landslide...But that's just not the case! They are very close in the polls but to listen to the left here, Conservatives have ruin the country and people want change? How simplistic in thought...it is the same as it is every election...running close!! Nothing new or great about this guy other then their desire to make history! at any cost! To win the White house no matter the risk of who's behind the desk...Obami and Michelle have made their living and their rise off of the constant put downs about this country..and now want us to believe they suddenly love this country????

They Obami/Michelle Bill Ayers Rev Wright Rev Phleger Rezco and his Radical Islam family in Kenya, have enjoyed a very special close relationship for many years! Which if they weren't trying to blow up this country they were putting it down over an over again! the famous oh No! No! Not God Bless America God Damm America, The US of KKK A which makes my back bone slide with contempt of such hatred spewed by one who calls him self a man Of God..much less an American who loves this country!

This is the man who wants to be president and who the Democrats have shoved in the face of the American people and said he deserves to be President...NO HE DOESNT!!!
He has disrespected this country and our Flag countless times he deserves nothing!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 8:28:24 PM

He has served less than 150 days in the Senate, has no "credentials" on National Security, and has no "executive" experience whatsoever.

Well, let's review and research.

He was a community organizer in the south side of Chicago, from June 1985 to May 1988.

He is both a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School. At Harvard, he was selected in his first year as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. In his second year, he was elected President of it.

He graduated from Harvard as a J.D. magna cum laude .

The magna cum laude will be awarded to the top 10 percent of the class, excluding the summa.

(http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/registrar/2006-07/honors2006htm.htm

He was elected and served from 1997 to 2004 as an Illinois senator.

n January 2003, Obama became chairman of the Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee when Democrats, after a decade in the minority, regained a majority.[33] During his 2004 general election campaign for U.S. Senate, police representatives credited Obama for his active engagement with police organizations in enacting death penalty reforms.[34] Obama resigned from the Illinois Senate in November 2004 following his election to the US Senate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

He was a civil rights attorney.

In 1993 Obama joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 12-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004, with his law license becoming inactive in 2002.

Obama was a founding member of the board of directors of Public Allies in 1992, resigning before his wife, Michelle, became the founding executive director of Public Allies Chicago in early 1993. He served on the board of directors of the Woods Fund of Chicago, which in 1985 had been the first foundation to fund Obama's DCP, from 1993–2002, and served on the board of directors of The Joyce Foundation from 1994–2002.[10] Obama served on the board of directors of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge from 1995–2002, as founding president and chairman of the board of directors from 1995–1999. He also served on the board of directors of the Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the Center for Neighborhood Technology, and the Lugenia Burns Hope Center.

He taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004.
(Particularly appropriate, since the President's job is to uphold the Constitution, as per his oath of office.)

as a Lecturer for four years (1992–1996), and as a Senior Lecturer for eight years (1996–2004)

He was elected to the US Senate in November 2004 . (150 days ????)

I look at all those accomplishments, and fail to see how Obama can be dismissed with a wave of a hand so easily. The same Americans who seem to chant "throw the bums out" , now seem to switch to let's keep them in - in Obama's case.

The only requirements set forth in the Constitution for qualification of a man to be President are the following :

Age and Citizenship requirements - US Constitution, Article II, Section 1

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.

Obama meets all of the requirements quite easily. Your Founding Fathers saw no need to include any other ones, like "credentials" on National security, nor "executive experience", when they defined what was needed to be President.

Compared to the man now holding that position, Obama stands out as having a far better record, especially in regards to Constitutional law, again recalling the main task of of that oath of office.

So any unease over the man is simply one based on fear and misunderstanding.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead