Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > So a guy turns up skint for your first date..................      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 3
So a guy turns up skint for your first date..................Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
You start off you have to get this
off your chest - you bitch you had to spend money and now
you want to know if you should give him another chance-

I cant answer this- I just cant. If you cant see it then its not
meant to be seen.

Take the jacket to the cleaners- they know what to do.
 ________
Msg: 6
So a guy turns up skint for your first date..................
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:09:03 PM
That's in the CROSS-DRESSING section......
 Wildman46
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:11:17 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling, A woman had to pay for a guy on a date.
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/24/2008 5:18:00 PM

That's in the CROSS-DRESSING section......

There's a cross-dressing section? OOOO I wanna read THAT forum!

Seas_the_Day
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:54:22 PM

do not give him another chance.... he did that deliberately.... keep fishing
it may have been deliberate or he does not know how to manage his finances which would be a major red flag.
 ________
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:44:12 PM

what the hell is 'skint'

Adj. 1. skint - lacking funds; "`skint' is a British slang term"
broke, bust, stone-broke, stony-broke, poor - having little money or few possessions....
 Chippy2
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:44:22 AM
I would say drop him on first impressions, to be honest the fare is about right, for a return, but sounds like he was keeping £12 back for a journey home the following day, if you got on so well that he missed his train, instead of spending the money on the day and making sure he got his last train home.

Turning up with a small budget for a date is sometimes unavoidable, but does not mean neccesarily the person is skint or a tight wad (has money but does not stand his corner, pay his way, for our American and Canadian friends).

And hell it would only take him about 8 hours to walk home if the date was that good he missed his last train

Wait until you calm down from the experience, especially as you are upset with having gum on your coat, and then see if he has left you with any GOOD lasting impressions. Then decide.
 Wildman46
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:43:27 AM
" where he told me he only brought 20 pounds with him- 12 was for return to Crawley where he lives, he claims he lost a fiver on the train and that he barely had any money... my question: why bother coming if your that skint?"

I think most of us wished the poor guy never showed up too. Lets see if i have you correct, Some poor guy around 20 who most likely goes to school instead of work. Spends 24 pounds round trip to come see you, after spending this he only has 8 pounds left to actually spend on the date.

Once he told you he was low on cash, Instead on choosing a less expensive activity, you go ahead with the theme park anyways. Now you come into the forums whining about the poor guy being "skint".

30 pounds on a first date for a guy 20 years old with no job is quite abit of money, most likely all the money he had for the week, Most women would take such an effor by this poor guy as a compliment, but obviously not you.

I hope you grow out of this " The men who date me owe me something" attitude you seem to have Op, because if you don't then you're in for a very bumpy ride in the dating world.
 buxum
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:46:19 PM
I saw the word skint and thought this was about sex......Dang.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:40:30 PM
Hmmm.....another he pays/she pays thread....how....wonderful.

I'd rather read the crossdressing ones!
 CherylCake
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:43:06 PM
What, no credit card, debit card, checkbook, or own transportation? You've taken a sponge bath.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:35:00 PM
Op's question and thread opener:

So a guy turns up skint for your first date :

>so i have just been out on a date with a guy from this site ..... and we seemed to hit it off, it all seemed good till we met up a few hours ago for our first date!!!! where he told me he only brought £20 with him - £12 was for return to Crawley where he lives, he claims he lost a fiver on the train and that he barely had any money.... my question: why bother coming if your that skint?!
I had to pay for him to go on rides and then to top it off, I strained my voice & got bubble gum stuck to my new jacket - which I believe might now be ruined, so overall I am not a happy bunny' Do you think I should give this guy another chance??
Well.. so much for discretion. Perhaps he'll read this and he'll make that decision for you.

Wishes Granted
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:17:14 PM
You've indiscretely posted all over your own profile about your first date with the dude.. good luck with how he handles things if he reads it.
 dutch-blonde08
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 12:26:57 AM
I think you want to lighten up a bit, so what you spent a little of your money on this lad. its not the end of the world, you might of had a better time if you didnt dwell on it so much. he didnt exactly take you the cleaners and rinse you now did he? After writing all this about the poor fella am sure he is going to feel really last and it will definately have a negative affect on what could of been the start of a really great relationship. Or maybe not coz if your finding so many faults and moaning so much about everything after your first date then your probably not an easy person to please. You have slagged him off and pulled him down quite a lot . you shouldnt be so quick to judge really hun. Unless you are perfect yourself. Are you suffering from p.m.t. by any chance? because you sound like your chatting bubbles to me,and looking for things to whine about. sorry if i sound agressive am probably hormonal myself at the moment lol, but seriously, talk to him instead of talking about him. its only fair.
 fetish4u
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:05:08 PM

Why does the man have to pay for the date? Why shouldn't women pay for dates or at least pay for their half?

I agree with this.I feel women are totally equal to a man.I think both should pay for their own share of things.
 Wishes Granted
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:09:52 PM

Yet a few of these people CAN'T or WON'T announce these things to their dates. The OP couldn't even bring herself to tell the guy that she was upset. SHe went thru with the date, putting out the money all the while fuming inside at how unfair it was that she had to pay. It was unfair as the guy screwed up. But not talking about it, paying and hating the thing is NOT the proper thing to have done.
Agreed.. IMO nor is it proper to post about it.. particularily when she is still considering going out with him. She's told the whole POF community, including the guy she's still wanting to go out with if he reads her profile, what a "whanker" she thinks he is. . .
OP: If you were reluctant to pay for the night.. why didn't you just suggest coffee or, something else that wouldn't cost either of you a cent. (long walks on the beach seem to be popular on this site :0) then this often, but seldom deleted thread topic wouldn't be necessary.
 fancynanci
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2008 3:23:12 PM
I can't imagine a man showing up for a date with no money, unless maybe he had been robbed on his way to my house.
 softy63
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/24/2008 7:15:47 PM
cdn-iceman, what you just said is as cold as your name!!

The young fella came on to tell his side of the story, explaining why he was broke and that he still wanted to meet his date. He told her from the beginning.

The OP still went ahead with the date spending money then complained about it to us after the fact, not to him. As poster #85 said, it's deceiving to pretend to enjoy yourself with someone, then bag that person later on. How would they feel?

And he is also on POF and read about himself!! I feel for the young fella.

How callous of you, cdn-iceman, to label people who are financially strapped as cheaps bast*ards!! I'm a bankrupt. Does that make me a cheap bast*rd too??
 softy63
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:20:04 PM
You didnt understand what I said. You obviously don't read much yourself.

I said LABEL PEOPLE, not calling HIM one.

"....a Skint?? I take it that it means Cheap bast*ard with no money? ...."

You asked what skint means even though it's been clarified many times during this thread. If you bothered to take in what you were reading you would have understood.

If you already knew what it meant, it appears to me that you label people being broke as cheap bastar*ds.

".....and whats wrong with being a cold hearted callous bast*ard, you say that as if its a bad thing? ..."

If you think that is a positive quality in a person then I feel sorry for you.

Still reckon the guy in question deserved another chance which is what the OP asked our opinion on.
 softy63
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/24/2008 9:07:09 PM
".......that doesn't mean I called him a cheap Bast*tard, did you get that this time?....."

I got it the first time. I said this:

"......I said LABEL PEOPLE, not calling HIM one. ......." Then you wrote:

"......that means I didnt , did not label him...........see what im saying Sport?......"

You repeated yourself. I said label PEOPLE in general.

You're not worth wasting any more of my Xmas Day on. I have not been sarcastic to you or called you pathetic names yet you seem to enjoy calling other posters names and putting them down.

BTW, I actually AM impressed with the young fella in question with his Uni achievements and business success. I hope he has learned something from his date as learning is character building.

Merry Christmas.
 softy63
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/25/2008 12:29:37 AM
I stand corrected. So I did call you a name. Oh well, was fun debating the point. Still reckon the guy did nothing wrong.

Enjoy your xmas with your family and goddaughters.

Take care xx
 butch62
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2008 6:54:25 AM
Man, I don't think they need to get married because if they ever got divorced the court battle and legal argument would run for ten years!!

Anyway, I agree with soft at heart.
 softy63
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/25/2008 7:04:58 AM
I proposed to him but he refused because I argue too much.!!

This thread is great ....... if I can remember what is was all about.

Ahh, that's right. I still reckon the young fella did nothing wrong.
 OneMoreTimeWithFeeling
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/25/2008 7:59:41 AM
soft-heart and iceman should get a room already.

As far as the OP's date situation...and I did read the date's side also, I still say, in the words of the Black Eyed Peas... If you don't have no money, take your broke ass home (or don't go out at all). I know everyone needs some loving, but if you are using your food money for the week to go on one date, you don't have your priorities straight.

Between this thread, the gum thread, and the pizza hut thread, where people were accused of being gold diggers (yes gum and bad pizza means you are trying to bankroll men now) ...I will keep my ass home and date free because for the most part I don't deal with cheap ass people.

Here's a situation that will make your heads spin, if the prior ones got you all in a tizzy! I was out by myself the other night in a sushi restaurant in NYC...Nobu to be exact. It is a pricey to say the least. Well, I go to pay for my own food to find out it was already paid for from some guy I never even laid eyes on. He left his card and told the waitress to give it to me. How about them apples! I texted him to say thank you but I will not be going out with him. The waitress said he resembled Mr Burns from the Simpsons. Yes, I am a coldhearted gold digger.

Happy Holidays and don't eat too much.
 Wildman46
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/25/2008 8:02:46 AM
he should have been upfront with the kid sorry his date and said"im short of cash because of....." now if she chose not to go out with him because he was short of cash well then we know what she is all about?

Actually in the Op the Op told us the kid did exactly that, He told her how much money he had and what he needed to get back home, The Op then had the option of either cancelling the date, or choosing the do something less expensive. SHE choose to go on with the events as planned, SHE made the choice to pay for him to go on some rides.

Now she comes into the Forums whining about him showing up "skint" . If the Op had a problem with the money situation, she should have spoken up once the guy told her about it. The fact that she got her big girl bloomers all knotted up AFTER the fact does say something about her.

The guy wanted to see her badly enough that he spent 12 pounds each way, on a train for hours !!! She should have been flattered that he went that far out of his way to meet her. So she had to spend a few extra pounds on the date, big deal. I bet in the end the "date" cost him more than it did her, it you take in account the 24 pounds it cost him round trip to get there.

I never do anything I don't want to, If the Op did not want to pay, she should not have paid, Paying then bitching about it AFTER, is guite tacky and somewhat classless. To pay, and say NOTHING about it to the person that offended you, but write about it in a public forum. That's much more offensive that showing up short of cash.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > So a guy turns up skint for your first date..................