Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do men show their car engines on their profiles?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 1
Why do men show their car engines on their profiles?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Why do some men insist on showing their car engines on their profiles? Is this their way of letting women see into their deeper selves, their very souls? Is their car an extension of themselves or is posting these pictures making up for any lack of real physical extension???
 TheOneWho_
Msg: 2
Why do men show their car engines on their profiles?
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:25:01 AM
It is a clue about their interests, hobbies, and maybe things important to them.
...much like women posting pics of themselves with their kids, motorcycles, horses, dogs, friends, or grandkids.

The way you ask the question gives the impression that you look down on men that do that - which also gives a rather unpleasant insight into.....

Well, enough said.
 Murf167
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:32:39 AM
Seriously? This is like the sixteenth "why do men have pictures of (insert random item here) in their profile?" thread.

They have those pictures because they like engines, or motorcycles, or mountain climbing, or blonde girls with large breasts, or friggin' fairy princesses.

Ask THEM. Each dude is an individual, and the photos a dude puts in his profile are a very individual choice. If you don't like it, don't message the guy. If you like him but aren't sure why he put a picture of (insert random item here) in his profile, then e-mail him and ask him. Wow, what a great conversation starter! :gasp:
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:37:55 AM
Wow...thanks for the varied responses.

It's amazing how someone could read so negatively into my question. Sorry if I gave the impression of negativity...I simply was just curious and trying to understand the male psyche. Perhaps some things are better left mysteries... However, I will admit that I was a little tongue-in-cheek (which is my style...good or bad).

Thanks again for your responses.
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:39:54 AM
Murf,

Having recently joined POF, I wasn't aware of the other 15 threads...thanks for informing me in such a kind and welcoming way. I am sure you're having lots of success here of POF....keep up the great attitude!
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:44:12 AM
Lypiphera,

I agree with you about it not being a picture of him...it would be fine if it was with his car! But the engine alone...its a mystery!

Thanks for your helpful comments.
 Murf167
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:47:07 AM

Having recently joined POF, I wasn't aware of the other 15 threads...thanks for informing me in such a kind and welcoming way. I am sure you're having lots of success here of POF....keep up the great attitude!

OK, you got me. I'm usually a voice for diplomacy around here. I read more into your post than you might have intended and I apologize.
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:49:57 AM
Wow...you are a true gentelman after all...I knew I liked your pic for some reason...real men apologize...that's sexy.

Oh crap, didn't mean to flirt there....oh well! LOL

Seriously, thanks for being honest and more importantly, thanks for serving our country!

cheers!
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:04:03 PM

Wow...you are a true gentelman after all...I knew I liked your pic for some reason...real men apologize...that's sexy.

Oh crap, didn't mean to flirt there....oh well! LOL

Seriously, thanks for being honest and more importantly, thanks for serving our country!

Wait until you get to know him before you go calling him a gentleman
 Murf167
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/25/2008 1:50:26 PM

Wait until you get to know him before you go calling him a gentleman

True 'dat. I'm polite, but not sure how gentle I am. My best friends kid refuses to wrassle anymore. Says I'm 'mean'.
 BIGLOUMARINI
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:02:01 PM
because they aresuperficial
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:28:54 PM
Aurora,

Please see discussion with Murf above...

"Your question makes you look like a huge ignoramus"...Well maybe thats why I posted the question...because I DON'T KNOW and furthermore, I WANT DEEPER INSIGHT. Don't be rude...just look at it like I do...AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN.

On the other hand, I appreciate your extensive explanantion about parts, etc....SOMETHING I DID NOT KNOW. I am asking purely for information and instead you copped a 'tude with me right away...NOT NECESSARY!!! Be nice...

And thanks for the invaluable information...what a gentleman you are..not!
 xeot
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:57:47 PM
Maybe for the same reason the OP has pictures of a dog, horse, and motorcycle? :)
 WpgGentleman2
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:10:47 PM
(It doesn't get boring people referring to threads so old the OP is probably chatting with St. Peter by now.)

You should look at people's photos as giving insight into them, what they see as important, and what they hope to impress you with.

If you click on rating and go through the women's photos, you'll see glassy eyes hunched over bar room tables, you'll see get-outta-my-damn-face snarls, you'll see size XXL track suits too small to fit, and lots and lots of infants on their way to birthday #1.

What does it say when a gal is on a dating site and her most recent photo is in a wedding dress?

It is tragic. A photo is worth a thousand words. A photo can save you sharing a lifetime of misery. A photo can help you stay clear of someone in the contagious phase of the abuse cycle.
 WpgGentleman2
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:19:14 PM
Any theories about the significance of my choice of a BC travel photo for my profile?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:11:07 PM
Because women aren't interested in guys picture posing with the public transit bus they use to get to work and back.

lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:54:22 AM
Thank you for all of the intelligent, insightful and polite posts to my question.

Cheers!
 Nao_Namorado
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:01:03 AM
It's the same thing as women displaying photos of their posse, 12 cats, 3 dogs and a billion relatives at the last cousin's wedding.
 Nao_Namorado
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:08:05 AM
^^^^^ Now THAT was classy.
 Henry L. Moon
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:25:25 AM
Actually, I found the OP's question to be rather insightful....and I'm amazed at how this became a way to be nasty and bash everyone and everything possible. A man does everything he can to "fix" his relationship with his woman....things he learns from his Mom, sisters, Aunt's, women friends, people he desperately asks on the internet...and still nothing works. So...the man feels banished from his own home....and he finds solace in his garage....where he notices machinary....and it is always in need of his attentions...of his ministrations...and he feels wanted, and needed...Then, he becomes bold, and takes advice again, this time for the machine...to make it run better, smoother, faster...and we feel a bond...we turn a wrench, we get immediate responses. Often, the woman feels slighted and she brings the man in his garage a frosty mug of iced tea...but we found an old refrigerator and hauled it in our running trucks and brought it to the garage, where we are storing tasty fresh adult beveridges that we are sipping on. Then we get cable hooked up by the bench........We add those pics because we bond under the hood with our machines. Would you hand me that box end half inch wrench please??....it's by your iced tea glass.......
 Henry L. Moon
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:38:02 AM
a man banished to his garage has time to think
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:19:56 AM
Actually, I found the OP's question to be rather insightful....and I'm amazed at how this became a way to be nasty and bash everyone and everything possible

Henry, are you referring to my initial question or the sad turn it took by several rude posts? Hopefully the former...

And BTW, I appreciate the rest of your post....very well said.
 Henry L. Moon
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:22:47 PM
Lass....YOU are the OP ( opening poster )...and I'm sorry I wasn't clearer...the way to be nasty and the bash fest was the sad turn turn it took. I'll go to my garage now....I just came in to use the bathroom....as soon as I get one in that garage........
 lasswithgreeneyes
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:31:29 PM
Can I help you build that?
 antonioIII
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:03:23 PM
I have a twin turbo engine in my car that always brings a smile to my face. As for the bitter english lady........ugly tree? hmmmmmmm ok.......
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do men show their car engines on their profiles?