Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 1
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 1 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Okay, here's a funny one. Met a guy online. Beautiful in his pictures even if slightly balding (okay a bit more than slightly but who cares). We exchanged a few emails, moved to a phone call or two and then of course the first date. I was so excited. I don't make it to many first date (due to the weeding out process). I wanted to look my best. Eyebrows arched, hair combed, deodorant. I went to meet him and he shows up wearing.... a fanny pack. Now, I'm not as shallow as I'm going to be called but come one. A fanny pack? We went to an extremely trendy restuarant. Me with an embarrassed smile. Him with a pack named Fanny on the front of his belt. I'm not one to beat around the bush so I broached the subject. I asked him whether he had a special permit to carry one of those after 1993. Surely they've been outlawed. He didn't find the humor in my comment or the subsequent comments that I made all night. He then admitted that his bag was a bit beat up and asked would I like to help him find a new fanny pack. Maybe this coming Friday. Make it a second date. He didn't understand that the problem wasn't with this particular bag but Fanny packs worldwide.

I know it seems shallow, superficial, maybe a bit mean but, is it not alright to look for someone who takes the same pride in their appearance. I mean would you date someone with a Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants?

In the end we agreed that we wouldn't be a great match despite the awesome rapport over the phone. He said that he couldn't change who he was. And then hoped I would see the light by asking me how I would feel if he wanted me to remove my "blackness". Somehow the two didn't balance out in my eyes.

Was I too shallow? Has anyone else met up with someone who had some sort of oddity that seemed small but was a total dealbreaker?
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 2
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:17:23 AM
I think you're being silly.
Would a man purse have been better for you?
Sorry, but is this what dating has boiled down to? Pathetic.
 ***blue***
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:20:38 AM
It would be funny to me but not a deal breaker I don't think.
He my SO where camo shorts and shirts that don't match them all the time. If asks me if he matches I tell him no but if that's what he wants to where its all good. As long as it's clean I don't care what he wears and he doesn't seem to care about the occational times that I tease him about it.
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:26:22 AM
I'm assuming that you meant sisters in the good ole fashioned friendship way and not the racial one. Anyway, It wasn't just one article of cloting as he said "this is who he is." So you're going to date a man wearing a clown hat and bunny slippers? It's all relative. Maybe I was shallow. Oh well. Are there no other shallow people out there who can't see past a fanny pack?
 supersnuggle
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:36:04 AM
I don't blame you for being embarrassed, Cupid. I agree, a fanny pack looks pretty stupid. Pretty much in the same category as earrings on a guy. I remember years ago, going to pick up a date, for our first date, and she wearing jeans and a t-shirt, which was fine, I was wearing jeans, too. But the deal breaker was...she was wearing bright red canvas basketball shoes. Pretty much ruined it for me.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:38:42 AM
Shallowness abounds.
Fanny pack: OUT
Red Sneakers: OUT

Forget about personality, humor, affection.
If they're wearing the wrong sneakers F*CK 'em.

ab initio
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:41:59 AM
Ok I'm with the OP here. What's gonna turn up on date two - MC Hammer pants? Those baseball caps with the gaudy, shiny faux-metal plates that say "New York" or "Los Angeles"? Maybe it turns out you met an Iraq War vetran - albeit the first Iraq War. So fashion sense aside, lets give him the benefit of the doubt and says he made a faux pas. If he can't see the humour and the joke in it (provided you're not being overly mean about it), then you need to ascertain the other qualities as fashion sense is clearly not one of them. I'm no fashionista, but geez a 1990's fanny pack? If the fanny pack shopping second date doesn't work out, you can just always curl up on the couch and watch Arsenio I s'pose.

OK got all my 90s references out

Cowabunga!

Z
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:46:20 AM
Sorry. Am not always hip to the latest colloquial spellings. I didn't really know the time that fanny packs were actually in vogue. I just thought that a few people made similar mistakes back in the 80's. As I said, ' it's all relative.'

Don't actually carry a purse myself. Too much baggage. Slip, maybe, my cellphone and key into my pocket and away I go.

I know that there are a lot of good men in this world. Every good man, though, isn't the man for me. He was a great guy. I hope that he meets someone who will share his interest in 80's fashion. They can rock their warmers and fannies together. I just like someone who is a bit more GQ. I'm sure he would have eventually been annoyed with the way that I always want to be so put together. It's not a good thing all the time. That man and his pack just weren't for me.
 toomuch13
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:48:38 AM
OP, if the fanny pack was your biggest problem, then yes you are shallow. So the guy has a different idea of what fashion is-big deal? Maybe your next guy will be wearing a Bill Cosby sweater circa 1984, would you dump him too? I think your date got out in good time.
 ab initio
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:50:02 AM

And love kissing him even more. When my eyes are shut and we are kissing...I wouldn't even know if he had a fanny pack.

Oh I think you would when you are asking yourself is my man aroused or that a keys for his 92 Toyota Cressida in his fanny pack?

A fanny pack on the first date if not worn for a sense of irony is inexcusable.

Z
 Beholder123
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:53:29 AM
I agree 100% with OP...If I saw a fanny pack I would have been embarrassed...
She has a very valid point.....WOULD you date a guy wearing MC Hammer pants? I mean come on....I DO NOT consider myself shallow at ALL but there are some things that I cannot look past. A fanny pack being one of them....Hey, this is not shallow at all! Its a preference! We all have a preference!
Some people dont like a lot of things! Why is that shallow?
Whatever...OP I hear you 100%
 msflis
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:54:57 AM
So let me get this straight. You found a man you called "beautiful" with whom you had great rapport over the phone, a man who invited you to go shopping with him despite your having apparently made fun of his accessory all night, a man ready to have a second date with you despite your unrelenting criticism, and the fact that his fashion sense is a bit different than yours is really the reason you sent him (fanny)packing?

Yes, you were too shallow. And a few other things, too.

--Ms. Flis
 Blk_Archangel7
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:58:31 AM
lol a fanny pack I have to admit it's funny but if it was a girl that I was dating wearing that it wouldn't be a deal breaker. But if she dressed like a clown on our first date, I'd run for the hills
 Vannili
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:01:21 AM
Some people wears fannypack to put their keys wallet etc..it does not brother me. What bothers me if he showed up with out shirt or shoes
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:02:27 AM
Fourth of July pants are those baggy baggy pants with the stripes of the American flag on one side and the stars of the flag on the other. They are quite festive but inappropriate in most situations.
 Race25
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:03:23 AM
A fanny pack is a utility item, not an item of clothing. I use one when I go out jogging, which poses the question why aren't exercise clothes made with pockets for keys and ID's???????
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:06:59 AM
Nightwing... You're really funny. I was just being a butthead with the race thing. More of a joke than anything. Gotta know my humor.
 Beholder123
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:11:05 AM
Hey James SD
What exactly are "Fourth of July pants"?

Remember MC Hammer? or the 80's "weight lifting " pants?...yeah..kinda like that.
 Baba_Ganoosh
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:13:23 AM
Maybe he had the the Kangaroo Dating Fever...thanks for the crack-up!

/Baba/
 german chick 1968
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:16:48 AM
I dont know this is almost stupit ....
You guys got along on line, on the phone and other then that you guys had fun ....
why not enjoy the time and be happy instead worrying about that fannypack ???
people are people , we all like different things . so you are dictating the man already . you dont like it so its a deal breaker ....
schallow, childish what ever you want to call it .
I hope you never get dumped for the wrong purse or wrong color shirt or blouse.... or because you tied your shoe laces the wrong way .
maby you should put it in your profile what you expect of the man in the way they dress or what they carry along .......
good luck
 toomuch13
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:17:45 AM
Maybe it's just me, but this post reminds me of the other poster who had a date who urinated in the parking lot. This could be the question: Which would you rather have? A date with an out of date article of apparel or a date who urinates in public? Wouldn't that be a funny profile question?
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:30:18 AM
Hey Hey Hey. Why must ya'll be so testy. So I didn't like his fanny pack. I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he is not as ticked off about it as you all are. I shouldn't have to say no Fannies allowed. That should be implied.
 ab initio
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:34:27 AM
Maybe he isn't good around women cause he's gay - ya know, a fannypacker....

Oh and BTW abandonedbycupid, wow, quite the fine woman yet so far away. I would love to fly down and meet you, but where on earth would I store my wallet, passport, car keys, phone. Oh wait, i'll just put it in my, er, in my....ah dammit

Serious, I completly think you're in the right here
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:39:28 AM
One of my best friends wears a fanny pack. Does it effect me? No. So I carry a Guess purse and she, a beat up fanny pack. It doesn't change the way I feel about her or the fun we have together.

I'm sure he could have done away with the fanny pack if you two started dating. Maybe you could have carried his fanny pack things in your purse. Oh, but you don't carry one. Perfect, he could have put your keys and cell in his fanny pack! LOL.

Would you rather him have a mullet?
 abandonedbycupid
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:10:07 PM
Ms. WCMS. I will admit when I'm wrong. Not one to often hurt anyone's feelings, I can see how my comments may have come across as somewhat rude. I will say this. I like to joke more than most. It's rare that you won't find a smile on my face. I don't think his feelings were hurt (speculation, I know). Judging by the fact that he asked me out on a second date and called me a few times after, he wasn't too offended.

Don't picture some callous clown having fun at someone else's expense. I assure you, that wasn't the scene. There was much joking going on throughout the night. We could definitely have been friends if that had been the expectation leading into the date. We had a good time. All in all, though, he isn't the man for me.... and yes that is in part due to the presence of his fanny pack.

Oh yeah. I will say that I have different standards set for friends as opposed to those I choose to take on as a partner. A friend with a fanny pack - forgivable and cute eccentricity. Boyfriend with a fanny pack - scary.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He brought his Fanny with him...