Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ETHNIC ATTRACTION...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cantankerous_Hermit
Msg: 5
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...Page 1 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Why some are attracted to certain races and why some are not is the same as why some are attracted to, or not attracted to other traits, body type, income, occupation, the list is infinite. That does not equal discrimination, it isn't even in the same realm. Personally, I have seen and been attracted physically by some in every race that I can think of. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 8
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:12:26 PM
I likes 'em all!

It puts the lotion on the skin, or it gets the hose again!
 lateef7842
Msg: 13
view profile
History
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/25/2008 7:54:19 PM
I think some of us are attracted to other races because we are born with that attraction in us.
Not being attracted to a whole race of people is a learned behavior. And, to me, if you think not dating someone out side of your race isn't racist, then you should re-read the definition of racism.

There are certain races of people I am not attracted to. And this is based on their phenotype (how they look). However, even inside that race, I will see women of that ethnicity that I think are very good looking and would date them. Also, if I get to know a female member of that race and I begin to become attracted to that woman, I will go for it like I would any other race of woman.

People that say they don't date anyone outside of their race because they don't find people of other races attractive are only fooling themselves. They are, in fact, being racist. Think about it. Out of the millions of people in any one race, you don't see someone in that group you are attracted to? Yeah, right.

Lateef
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 28
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:14:47 PM
~OT~ I think I have definitely preferences, however, I have not limited myself to one ethnic group or another. There are certain features, coloring, etc., that I find more appealing than others. In the end, I date the man ~ not his color. I've known a few good and/or a few bad people, color didn't seem to matter, they were who they were.
 indian39
Msg: 36
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/26/2008 5:42:20 AM
i would just say men are more open about dating than women, i can undertand about a long term relation or a dating.. preferring someone alike
but a casual sex session what does it matter what race or color u r as long as the other person is ready to have sex....and knows hot to have sex.... and understnads the meaning of sex
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 41
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/26/2008 9:45:32 AM
Great topic!

Have you noticed that women(of any race, but especially whites) are the more concerned about "racial preference"? Love should be "color blind" and certainly it should go beyond "preferences" , "likes", "family history" or "what I am attracted to".
When a woman says that she is only "attracted" to certain race, she is putting her feelings aside. Saying that you are not attracted to certain race is indeed discrimination. Or in other words closing your mind to the possibility of being attracted to that certain race or races. Note that "attraction" is not LOVE . Being selective at the time of dating is plain discrimination.

On the being attractive note: Hale Berry is a BLACK WOMAN. But she has gone beyond what a black woman is socially supposed to look, walk, talk and act . This actress is considered GORGEOUS by general "attraction" standards. While Woopi Goldberg is also a BLACK WOMAN and she is considred "non attractive" by the same general standards. So attraction is part of any race and color and "Not being attracted" to certain race or races is DISCRIMINATION.
These are only examples that "attraction based on race" is discrimination not just preference. Gorgeous looks comes in any race and color, so whatever "racial preference" a person shows at the time of dating is nothing more than DISCRIMINATION.
 celts123
Msg: 43
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:26:43 AM
Not dating a certain race may or may not be racist depending on the reasons for it. But you could be limiting yourself by not dating a certain race. Some people are generally attracted ( or not attracted ) to a certain race. But there could be some exceptions to that. For example, I'm generally not attracted to Asian women. But if I saw a large group of Asian women, I might be attracted to a small percentage of them. I would have no problems dating an Asian woman if I was attracted to her.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 45
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:03:57 AM
gentlemanjack1 wrote :

[Right, like you can discriminate against tomatoes if you don't like tomatoes.]

Tomatoes are not human beings. We are talking about individuals. Do you date tomatoes, cars or jalapenos?
 funkyredhead
Msg: 48
view profile
History
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:17:52 PM
i was raised to be non judgemental about race. but i also know that people are attracted to all kinds of looks. and its all good as long as we remember that people are people and should be judged by who the are. i personally tend to have more attraction to black men, but i wouldnt not date someone because of thier race or religion or anything unrelated to what kind of person they are. lol lets all have and international hug
 Strongdad
Msg: 50
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:30:23 PM
Ten points to O for pointing out what is so unpopular to say outloud!

Discriminate is not a bad word, in reality. It is a word that was hijacked for social/political expediency. Which, by the way, is bulldung.

If you can't use your own personal powers of discernment (discrimination), there is something really wrong. We all do it for many different reasons everyday.

I happed to prefer hispanic or black women, myself. Because, those are the people I grew up closest to. Simple as that.

OK....there are a couple other reasons, too. But, we don't need to go there right now.

Rock on.

SD
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 52
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/27/2008 6:32:41 PM
I was accused of being a racist before by a black coworker when I wouldn't show him any interest in going out with him. It wasn't because he was black, it was because he was old, disgusting, and ugly. I am attracted to certain ethnicities more than others. I just like certain facial features better, just as many black men like a woman with "junk in the trunk". I like someone who's culture is not too different from my own. I have a hard enough time understanding white guys, let alone differences in culture and upbringing too. I've always loved the smooth tan skin of latinos and asians too, unlike my ruddy and spotted complexion.
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 55
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:53:41 PM
1. Caucasian (White)
Pass
2. African-American (Black)
Yes please.
3. Asian (Yellow)
Pass
4. Latino/Indian (Brown)
Pass
5. Native American (Red)
Pass
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 56
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:56:26 PM
1. Caucasian (White)
YES, PLEASE
2. African-American (Black)
YES PLEASE
3. Asian (Yellow)
YES PLEASE
4. Latino/Indian (Brown)
YES PLEASE
5. Native American (Red)
YES PLEASE

Why limit yourself when there are so many women of so many varieties out there!

Thank you ladies of the world for being so beautiful and all so different in your own ways ... it makes my world a wonderful place to live in!
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 62
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:52:28 AM
Why limit yourself when there are so many women of so many varieties out there!

Well, it is a personal dream to have a kid with every race, so perhaps I should be more open minded.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 63
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:59:36 AM
TheCdnJackal wrote:

[Some people like Big ( fat) some like small, some like tall, some like short, some like a certain ethnicity/skin colour blah blah blah, to say oh because so and so( Caucasian) doesn't like her/him because he isn't attracted to Black really depends, if they don't like Black people because of silly stereotypes etc, yes thats discrimination, but if he/she isn't attracted to them because they're not attracted to them, thats not discrimination.]

When people are "not attracted" to other people based on color of skin, bone structure, facial features, color of eyes, etc. is discrimination. We are not talking here about being "fat", "short", "tall" or intelligent. When I have the examples of Hale berry and Woopi Goldberg I just want to give an example that being "gorgeous" or "ugly" comes in any race. Those "general standards" to which I make references are general conceptions of beauty people have without having in consideration "character", "intelligence", "attitude", ect, etc... If a "white woman"(which are the most concerned about this issue) says that she is not attracted to "black men" because of their facial features, color of skin or eyes, or hair and that she is attracted to "white skin", "light color of eyes', etc. she is implying that she discriminates on the basis of race. Saying that "black men" are UGLY is a form of mean discrimination.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 72
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 11:17:59 AM
TheCdnJackal ,

maybe you have the terms "preference" and "discrimination" mixed up. Let me try to give you one simple example: I might prefer Heavy metal music over rap. Preference for Heavy Metal in this case does not means that I would not listen to rap music! People who say "I prefer to date light skin(or olive skin, etc) people" , this is just a preference! They are saying that they like certain characteristics in people over others. But they would get to like others races or color if certain conditions exist! This is not DISCRIMINATION!!!

When people say "I am only attracted to white girls", is discrimination. When people use words like "only" or "just" to ilustrate likes, is closing other venues, thus discriminating. "The way it is" phrase that you use shows your discrimination against other races, because you are not taking in consideration "character", "intelligence" and other signs of attraction other than just physical and color of skin.

On regards to Hale Berry and Woopi Goldberg, I would say without limited possibility of being wrong that most men would find Hale gorgeous and Woopi ugly. I'm not talking about "few" men, I'm talking about "most" men. What I call "general conceptions" of beauty.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 76
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:24:00 PM
TheCdnJackal ,

Hey, I'm trying to express my opinion on this topic without sounding simplistic, childish or naive. By the way this is a great topic. Why you say "the way it is"? Don't you realize the exclusionist tone of that expression ?? Why it has to be "the way it is"? Your scene is a clear example of "preference". You prefer women other than big ones.
But we are not talking about being big, we are talking about ETHNIC ATTRACTION!!!!!

About Whoopi Goldberg and Hale Berry, that was just an EXAMPLE that being gorgeous and ugly comes in any race!! Yes, Whoopi might be fun but the general interpretation of most men (in the 21st century)would be that she is physically "ugly". I'm not attracted to her but I find Hale Berry(who is also black) extremely beautiful. And that is not just me. That would be the assessment of most men!(unless they are recalcitrant racists or think kinky hair, buck teeth, raunchy voice, dormant facial expresssion and big body is beautiful!). You have to be from Mars or other galaxy not to see incredible physical beauty in Hale Berry and physical "uglyness" in Whoopi Goldberg. BOTH BLACK WOMEN!!!

Physical Appealing is another topic of discussion. Keep the discussion within the topic please which is ETHNIC ATTRACTION! Not being fat, tall, skinny, intelligent, PhD in Economics, independent or all that other stuff you talk about. Would you??
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 78
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:35:46 PM
I met a lady here on POF last year and thought she was pretty hot. We even went out a few times until I found out that she was prejudiced toward black people. I guess she thought that because I am white, I shave my head and I live in north Idaho that I was as racist as she was. Little did she know that my last LTR was with a beautiful black lady who was 100 times the woman physically and intellectually as she was.

I still don't see why people would want to limit themselves to 1 or 2 races when there are SOOOOOO many good looking people out there of all races!
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 79
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:42:38 PM
I still don't see why people would want to limit themselves to 1 or 2 races when there are SOOOOOO many good looking people out there of all races!

I just know that when I walk into a room, I'll notice and remember every black woman there, and everyone else just becomes a background haze. I don't know or care why. It isn't like I wouldn't date a white girl (and I have), but if I'm going to put myself out there and go after a girl, she will almost certainly be African-American.
 Cinamin47
Msg: 82
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:22:33 PM
I'm attracted to ARab-looking men. Not Hispanics. And not blacks, just the arabs. I love the dark eyes and their hair and their pretty skin. I also like the olive complected skin tones or 'mixed' race. I'm not usually physically attracted to white men. And most white men take serious offense to this, thinking than whites are superior to other men, so therefore, I should be only attracted to whites, since I am white. I have actually been told off and made fun of by Caucasian men for this preference. I just laugh at them.
 navywave
Msg: 86
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:43:41 PM
It may be social suicide. But I am not the least bit interested in a black man. But white,indian and asian I am. It's just a preference. I don't like the features of a black man. They do nothing for me.But a man from asia,india, or indian or white turns me on. My first husband was a cherokee indian. If that is racist, oh well.I already know I am going to get blasted by remarks for this one. Frankly, I don't give a damn.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 90
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:55:39 PM
Obsidian has the best attitude of anyone I have met on these forums. You are my kind of person Obsidian!
 celts123
Msg: 91
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:57:26 PM
Navywave,

It depends on the reasons why you wouldn't date a certain race. If you aren't attracted to blacks, that's okay. But if you wouldn't date black men due to racial stereotypes or generalizations based on some bad experiences, then that would be racist. Same thing would apply to other physical attributes such as height, weight, hair color etc.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 93
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:12:44 PM

Yellow? Brown? Red? My thought is that anyone who thinks in those terms is completely out of touch with today's world.

Sorry my crayon box didn't have caucasion, American Indian, coffee or chocolate in it and I tend to revert back to the basics when thinking of color!
 lateef7842
Msg: 94
view profile
History
ETHNIC ATTRACTION...
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:12:56 PM
I'm going to call it like I see it. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal. But, it is still racism. And like everything else, racism happens in degrees. Anytime you deny anyone access to anything or anyone because of the color of his or her skin, you are being racist.

Also, I just don't buy someone not finding anyone in a certain race unattractive. There is a certain race of women I just don't find physically appealing. Its as simple as that. For the most part, they just don't do it for me. But, I have seen some women of that race that were very beautiful. And, if given the chance to date them. And I would do so without a second thought. Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

Lateef

Update 4:28 pm;

One of the women who says she isn't attracted to men my color just checked out my profile.

Lateef, bridging the racial gap one woman at a time. ... lol

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > ETHNIC ATTRACTION...