Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SueCat51
Msg: 2
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Sydney - if I were in your shoes, I'd TRAVEL!!! Here's the deal, health is always a wild card. I have the attitude of why wait until you're retired or much older? There are no guarantees that 5 years from now, anyone will have good health.

I married in the late 1970's. In those days, you'd graduate from high school, go onto college, get married, start your career, and have kids. That's fine and dandy, but at times it can seem to be a real rut. Once the career starts, mortgages have to be paid, and saving for college education, there's so little money left for globe trotting. Also, when you're married, your spouse may not be on the same page (adventure type) that you may be. Do a couple of good trips now, and hopefully, you can find that special one, and do even more travelling.

BTW - I've started travelling later in my life, no regrets, but I do pray that the health keeps up.
 val0214
Msg: 4
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:54:35 AM
I assume you already have a wife lined up? Seriously, if you do and you just happen to stumble onto a dating website...invite her to go travelling with you.

Travel first, ask forgiveness later.
 Elizabeth023
Msg: 5
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/27/2008 11:27:15 AM
I definitely want to travel more. I'm not interested in settling down at my age. I've seen too many people go through seperations and divorces.

I learned that I'm not missing anything.. More travelling for me is on the agenda. I want to travel everywhere..

I just miraculously need the money and then I can go.
 Elizabeth023
Msg: 7
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/28/2008 10:24:40 AM
I hope to travel, I definitely need a change of scenery. The sooner, the better.
 thigh highs
Msg: 10
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:55:16 PM
Good Idea - wish I could ! But someone made sure I won't be able to travel for a while - Thanks
 Vanilla Scent
Msg: 11
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:28:30 AM
Yea Dude your only 31 and live once!!!! TRAVEL or fine a lady who will travel with you!!!! BUT FOR SURE TRAVEL!!!! I love to travel when I CAN!
 london150
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Moving to Portland
Posted: 7/29/2008 8:54:14 AM
Hello. I am planning on moving to Portland Oregon in about another year. I have already started doing research and want to know if anyone in the Portland area could give me any information they feel is important for me to know. I have lived in St. Louis my whole life and am ready for a change. I am an RN,so if there are any nurses who could suggest any good teaching hospitals that would be wonderful. I am hoping to live near the ocean, I have never had a chance to visit, so to live near it would be a dream. Thank you in advance and my name is Simone or you can call me London.
 toni.
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Moving to Portland
Posted: 7/30/2008 7:55:53 PM
I chose to travel and I've seen and done a lot, met a lot of really cool people. I know so many women that can't and won't travel because their husbands don't like to fly. I have no regrets. I only have a few places I still need to visit and a handful I need to revisit.
 Cantankerous_Hermit
Msg: 17
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 7/30/2008 11:15:08 PM
I have traveled constantly for most of my life. It is in some peoples blood. I did settle down and got married, but when that came to an unfortunate end, I was on the road again. I waited until I was 37 to get married. I say TRAVEL! Do it while you're able. Unless you have a specific person that you are considering settling down with then go West, young man! Or any compass heading that compels you. Go whichever way the wind blows. You won't be sorry and you'll meet lots of people. You just might end up crossing paths with the one that you want to settle with or join together as traveling companions..
 gjay1
Msg: 18
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 8/1/2008 9:11:02 PM
TRAVEL!!! establish a lifelong habit now of going places and doing things!! and when you find someone to settle down with - make sure that someone wants to travel too!! i left it a long time but now theres no stopping me now!! ps just buy a cheap car! lol
 GuyInCNS
Msg: 20
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 8/3/2008 2:03:18 AM
Travel together. It will be a great way to learn if you have a chance at a long relationship..
 SaintlyExpression
Msg: 21
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 8/7/2008 12:14:03 AM
Travel! Meeting someone is not so much a planned event as traveling. You may decide to settle down but until you meet someone that you can settle down with, you could have traveled the world over several times. One never knows when love enters a life but traveling is something you can do right now. And as someone else indicated, you don't know if tomorrow will bring some sort of health issue or other adversity that will prevent you from doing so. Finding love... well, that can happen in all stages of life.

If you have the time to travel and certainly the passion, go for it. Traveling can open your eyes to things you've not ever dreamed of and can make you a better person. And in your travels, you just might meet the person you settle down with. You never know.

I have traveled quite a bit and have no regrets whatsoever. To this day, I still write to those I've met on the road and value their friendships, each and every one. It's quite amazing. I love to travel and love to share it with others. And, in time, when you meet your significant other, you too can share and instill in them that same love of adventure.

Go for it. Travel and meet the world! :)
 candy4evernow
Msg: 22
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:58:21 AM
go for love,look everywhere,never give up. The living of life, traveling etc. will come. First there should be love. This person you love, will also love to travel she will see what a huge priority it is for you and make every sacrifice to follow your dream.

Romance is what makes travel and adventure exciting. Whether we know it or not , love and romance are ingrained into our dreams and expectations. With love on our side we can soar. Someone who loves you, is someone who believes in you, and that belief gives you the power to follow your dream. The joy of sharing things with our one true love is limitless. Happiness is not only found in the here and now, but in the memories. When you are old and grey the memories of your travels together will bring happinesss to a life shared, and a dream realized.

This being said, don't set up road blocks (like a morgage, children) until a path is defined. Keep your other dreams simple, so that your big dream is not put off.
 bellazingara
Msg: 26
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:51:17 AM
Hi OP,
I am in the same boat. If you're a travel junkie like me then definitely choose travel while you are still young, healthy and unencumbered. That way when you do settle down you won't have regrets about missing out on things you might not be able to do as easily as when you are single. If you choose to settle down first consider the following:

1) You'll likely be spending more money to travel later in life as costs generally go up every year.

2) You'll be restricted as to the type of vacations you can take if you have children to consider or if your health status changes.

3) You'll have to coordinate your schedule with your spouse's and children's (when they're in school) and may not be able to take advantage of good last minute deals due to scheduling conflicts. In fact, you'll be travelling during peak times of the year with school-aged children which can get quite expensive.

4) The person you settle down with may not have the same desire to see the places that you want to see, so saving travel for later might not work out as you hoped.

5) When you travel alone, you have so much flexibility to make last minute changes, detours etc....which can really enhance your travel experience.

The way I see it, I have the rest of my life to meet "Mr. Right" and settle down, but I may not be in a position to travel for the rest of my life so I'd like to take the opportunity for that while I'm still able to. I leave for Costa Rica in three weeks and can't wait!

Good Luck with your decision!
 rolfen
Msg: 27
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 9/23/2008 9:13:07 AM
Say you find the love of your life... have a great time... want to marry... but then u suddently feel terribly anxious... why? Because you now have to give up your dreams of freedom.
Travel and be free while you can (i'm assuming you are not seing anyone)... Love will come by chance, and you will have the wildest romantic adventures while travelling (girls love the lonely travelling man, and will do everything to keep you).
If you find that great girl while travelling, then I hope you will have the courage to settle.
But do travel, in my opinion it makes the settling only easier... but what do i know... I havent traveled too much yet, but i met a wonderful girl during 1 month, but when i had to leave the country she wanted to commit... but I was very scared of doing that... I went bezerk with anxiety and fear during a month and a half... and she now think that i am a dangerously unstable nutcase.
I hope i did not do the mistake of my life.
I figured that if i had travelled before, I would have had less fear of settling with her... or maybe if i had a better career, I'd have more confidence to commit?? I'm still not sure... but you dont seem to have that problem, you seem to be doing well on the professional level, so you can travel in confidence... you have nothing to prove... enjoy freedom while you can.
 rolfen
Msg: 28
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 9/23/2008 9:28:29 AM
But ultimately the choice is yours. Dont do the mistake of living your life following other people advice. Just do what you feel like doing , ohtherwise youwont be happy.
Dont be afraid of missing opportunities to travel or to settle, beware of fear, if you act on fear, the thing that you fear might become reality. Dont be afraid of anything, there's plenty in this word, and you will be able to do whatever you want, and realise all your dreams. Just concentrate on what would make you happy now.
 joyinbris
Msg: 32
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/4/2008 6:21:42 AM
I've done travel solo, with friends of various ages ,& in tours. Antique-ki & Contiki tours are very different !

So 2 points to consider:

a.) If you have a deep yearning to travel - it won't decrease ... it will linger and leave a sense of dissatisfaction that you can give a sop to on your 2 week vacation, and your hopes of having those experiences/adventures when the kids are grown... :-(

b). Travel at any age is great while you have you health - but generally the travelling experiences you have at 30 are very different than 60 years (Nite Clubs Vs Vineyards, Bungyjumping & extreme sports VS touring and historical sites). LOL

There are pluses for both settle & travel... you've heard them above ... your life to live - so it's your choice. Best wishes in lifes great adventure:-)
 english lass
Msg: 33
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/4/2008 7:32:21 AM
if you still want to travel, then you'll regret it if you don't, imo...."settle down" when you find the right person...and who knows, if it's the right person, maybe you won't need to "settle down" then either, i know of one family who lives on a boat and homeschools the kids

(btw. in rereading your question i notice that you don't say you "want" to travel, just that you're "able to travel" ....if you're not really in to it any longer, then don't feel pressured to travel just because you can and you feel you *ought* to - follow your heart and your gut instincts, there's no one else you need to take into consideration at the moment, so do what you really want to)
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 34
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/4/2008 12:16:01 PM
People DO manage to have families and keep travelling, although it's not easy. So you have three choices.
 harmonyharvest
Msg: 35
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/4/2008 8:32:09 PM
fartsmella88 and English lass have put it nicely I thought

Figure out what it is that you want and then go for it! I am going to travel to Newfoundland, I am not sure where yet; but I keep praying about it and I know that in time the answer will be revealed. If you are struggling with what to do, try prayer out

I do not worry about the money situation myself...I can work when the money runs out and settle down with the family and children when the time is right too :)

I am looking forward to my travels. Hopefully, I will be able to save up enough money to not have to work right away, but if not; at least I will be filled with new perspectives in life :)

The adventure and people that will be met along the way, is worth more than the money I could have saved for a vehicle. Friends question me about not owning a vehicle, but I do not need one, it is only a want and I can have a lot more fun without one right now

I am going to take the train...cho..cho... And then plane ride the rest of the way
 michael_angel
Msg: 36
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/4/2008 9:24:32 PM
TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL!!!! RV fulltiming is the only way to go! It is my dream I have yet to fulfill in my life. Yes being financially stable to travel makes the difference. Why live in a "stick & brick" when the whole USA can be your home? I've done the stick & bick all my life, and mowed acres of lawn,,, time to go and be free of the house owning me!!! Catch ya on Route 66!!!
 cleoleo78
Msg: 37
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/5/2008 1:32:51 PM
Travel !!!!!!! Do it now !!! you wil regret it if you do not !! seriously
I did it from the age of 17 - 27 spent my time all over the world and it was the best thing I ever did for myself !!

In fact if I could do it now I would and I am seriously tempted to pack up and backpack my way around the world yet again !
My advice is to do it now and enjoy it !
 nontangent
Msg: 39
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/6/2008 3:36:17 PM
I think the best thing to consider is to travel as much as you can before kids.

Girlfriends/wives are either understanding of your absence or willing to go along (my ex was).

Kids, on the other hand, and all the trappings of domesticity are a bit harder to do financially. But the rewards or parenthood far outstrip (IMHO) a wild week on the beaches of some far flung isle.

Travel as much as you can, then take a break to start a family. You will not regret it. Just don't mortgage your life away. Stick aside some coin in the travel fund. It might take years, but the kids will be older and much more mobile.

My oldest, now 15 and going for his drivers license in the spring, is very excited about next February: school break riding motorcycles around Costa Rica! Compliments of dad - was I supposed to be sticking away some coin??
 nontangent
Msg: 41
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/10/2008 7:00:52 PM
Halberd-

That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Also in my plans when the little ones are out of the nest (Russia for me). Enjoy your trip, there is nothing finer than travelling on a motorbike.

Sheep = New Zealand speed bumps.

Let us know how the trip goes. One of my favorite sites (if I can spam here) is advrider dot (fill in the rest). Awesome site, check it out and post.
 Benjo79
Msg: 42
view profile
History
TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?
Posted: 11/11/2008 5:43:30 PM
Going to travel for the next few years and hope to meet the love of my life out there....
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > TRAVEL OR SETTLE DOWN?