Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Not married by 30, will it happen, ever?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChrisinWI
Msg: 1
Not married by 30, will it happen, ever?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
My parents think I'll be alone forever, that bachelor that has had lots of G/Fs in the past but never a wife.

Is it true that if you aren't married by 30, you have like an 80% chance of being alone for life?
 Bobbuttons
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Not married by 30, will it happen, ever?
Posted: 8/2/2008 7:16:10 PM
I saw some stats online for around 2002, but nothing recently, and I am not sure how accurate the numbers are, so take them however you like, but:

In 2002 77% of American men had been married at least once by the age of 35.
87% of American men had been married at least once by age 45.
95% had been married at least once by 55%.
 StarcityRomeo
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/2/2008 9:57:19 PM
Send me $5000.00 US dollars and I will have your new lovely wife delivered to your doorstep. Do you like brunettes? Is english a priority?
 sjenner
Msg: 4
Not for me
Posted: 8/3/2008 12:56:49 AM
I am almost 40- and have not met anyone even remotely compatible for even the basic relationship in past 5 years.

So- I gave up. I work, pursue hobbies, invest and enjoy life. Maybe when I move overseas I will meet someone.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/5/2008 2:11:53 PM
Don't know for sure, but wouldn't think it would be true. Do you want to get married? If you do seek out others that also want marriage. If you don't, then seek out others that don't. This one doesn't give it as an option, but some dating sites do have looking for marriage as an option. They really all should. Save everyone a lot of time and hurt feelings.
 Fried Chicken
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:07:39 AM

Is it true that if you aren't married by 30, you have like an 80% chance of being alone for life?

If that is the case, you just might be lucky :)
cuz what's a marriage but a preclude to divorce as evidenced by the huge number of divorcees on this site.
 m kaemicha
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:39:38 PM
Don't worry about it. I never really wanted to get married and turned down quite a few proposals and then for some unknown reason, I did get married when I was well over 40. It was fun for a while but then we divorced. Marriage just doesn't seem to be for me but I love men...
I never let anyone's opinion on my marriage wants, sway me. That's personal and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.
If you try to hard to find 'Mz Right', it might not happen. Just relax, ignore your parents concerns and see what happens!
 WanderingRain
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 9:15:58 PM
Don't mean to be morbid, but when I begin thinking about this 30's business, I just think about how many young people die every year in car accidents and glad I lived through my teenage years to live the good life I have lived so far.
I can't imagine dying at 16. On the whole, the fact that I'm still alive at 36 to make a positive difference makes me happy enough.
Peace.
 RoughAsGuts
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:09:31 AM
Yeh maybe so what?

Some people worry about getting a parking ticket in the city some worry if there will be lots of traffic in the mornings on their way to work, Or whether they should bring beer or sodas to that BBQ they been eagerly awaiting. I put worrying about getting married in the same league. :P
 WanderingRain
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2008 12:26:24 AM
Entertaining failure will bring failure.
Live right and stay happy and the world will surprise you.
It will happen when you're not even looking -- I guarantee it.
 Aelwulf
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/1/2008 2:52:09 AM

I think this is a problem a lot of people have: They see marriage as the goal.

I think it should be about finding the right person, married or not married, and enjoying life with them. Marriage shouldn't be a goal, but something that happens naturally. If marriage ends up being your goal, I think it will just lead to disappointment later on.

Well said. :)
 dead fish
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 11:35:40 AM
Unless you wanted to get married but didn't. Then there is no problem.
I wouldn't have gotten married even if I had had the chance too.
But living with somebody "in sin" would have been ok. But I only found a crazy woman that made run out of my apartment and she went out back to the street. Wow, real story.
But seriously, what's after marriage? Divorce, child support and being unmarried again. Why not save all the aggrevation?
 cfb62
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2008 5:30:16 PM
Don't worry about those crazy statistics, if you want to get married, you will.
People get married later and later as time goes on.
Just don't think it's "THE" thing in life that's necessary to do in order to validate yourself.
 dead fish
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2008 11:12:30 PM
maybe by the favorite reason thought of and in turn look down on somebody and in turn make them feel better (whoever is saying it) :
They are gay.
But it's not only women who would think that but guys who are already married.

We are talking about this. But people think what the opposite of what they are doing or what they are is wrong. That's where we get sexism, racism, ethnocentrism...
But in the end nobody is or think that way when asked. So then who is who?
awww, whatever
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/4/2008 5:13:55 AM
Of course it can. I have an uncle who was 48 before he got married for the first time, and 12 years later they are still very happy together.

I think the best think to do is to ignore all the things the so called experts write about if you haven't married or whatever by a certain age it isn't going to happen. People over 80 have gotten married.

Me I am having a very hard time finding someone I want to date, let alone marry. I have made too many mistakes to want to make another one. Yes I would love to be truly married to the right person, but at this point I had rather be alone than be with the wrong person.
 chica.nice
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/14/2012 1:55:32 PM
hola que tal buenas tardes
:modhammer:
 thomhad1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2012 4:38:31 PM
I don't think I want to get married even if I do find the right girl. Nowadays about 50% of marriages end in divorce anyway. My opinion you don't need to marry someone to truly love someone.
 rat-7
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2012 5:45:15 AM
Do not bother, if you have not found any one by the time you turn 30, then your chance of finding any one after are any where between zero and null
 JoseMadre
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/15/2012 9:07:54 AM
I had lots of girlfriends and got married at 31. We were married 16 years till she was taken. I am now engaged and looking at a wedding around Christmas.

So will it happen? Do not know, but it is definitely possible.
 HereticZero
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/16/2012 7:22:35 PM
80% of statistics are made up 60% of the time. :P

The thing about getting married earlier in life is that it has a higher chance of failure because people grow apart as they figure out who they really are. Who knows who they are in college? Most people don't.

The problem with getting married later is that there's less options as most people jump into relationship after relationship trying to find "the one" as they panic when the years go by.

Food for thought. ;)
 _allen_
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:17:29 PM

Over 30 I think you'll have a better chance at making a "mature" choice, rather than simply an emotional one.
And that choice make just be to stay single.
Marriage is not the only way to be with someone, nor does it ensure a lifetime of "togetherness".

^ This
Op, why are you allowing yourself to be pressure into marriage? The mature thing would be to find someone of quality worth your time. If it leads to marriage, then great if not ... even greater. There is nothing that says a person has to be married in order to enjoy a lifetime companionship with another.

You don't need a State signed and sealed union license to love someone.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:25:10 PM
just keep it in perspective and be carefree-- if it happens ...yay! if not...oh well, life goes on because it is not the end of the world. being married has it share of problems and i feel being single is more easy to deal with.
 RandomFish123
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/9/2012 11:33:11 PM

Who decided 30 was the magic number?? ...

Should we all just crawl inside a hole and die now?....
 rocktman1973
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/9/2012 11:48:39 PM

I learned the hard way on rushing into married life. Trust me, it is not worth that. Be happy to be single and enjoy life without that pressure on you.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I was 27, I met a woman online. I moved across country to be with her and start a new life. After a year and a half of knowing her, we got married and already had bought a house together. She had it in her head that 30 was the magic number to be married and have a family. I didn't even feel like we had gelled as a couple yet and was pressuring me for children already. We were only married for a year at the time. She wanted a child so bad, that she started having a relationship with an ex boyfriend, hoping she'd get pregnant by him! As soon as I found out, that was it. Got separated, packed my shit and moved back to my home town.

Never again will I be pressured into marriage like that. It's totally not worth it. Not only did I have my heart crushed, but lost my home, my dog and my sanity. I'm not saying that marriage is a bad thing, but don't put a number on it. There is no rush, enjoy life now and what ever happens, happens. Just don't feel pressure that you have to be married.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/10/2012 12:09:30 PM
I got married at 31. My best friend is getting ready to celebrate her first anniversary. She was 30 when she got married.

Simple answer is "No."
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Not married by 30, will it happen, ever?