Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Similar Travel Interests Hong kong, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wileyc
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Similar Travel Interests Hong kong, Thailand, New Zealand, AustraliaPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Never take a vacation you can actually afford... :)
 huixin
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Similar Travel Interests Hong kong, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia
Posted: 8/8/2008 12:42:09 AM
I have lived in NZ ,so for my opinion, only two cities might interest you Christchurch so-called Gardon City and Queenstan which is to the south of Christchurch.
 huixin
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 12:50:41 AM
do you like trekking?

I returned from my trekking in Yunnan Province in China just now. The mountains and gorge are so so high and beautiful I have never seen . May I send you some pictures of the gorge (Tiger leaping Gorge) I can't send photos on Plentyof fish , ( I don't know how to do it.) Tell me your mail please if you like the gorge.
Mine is 520meetxin@163.com
 huixin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 12:50:49 AM
do you like trekking?

I returned from my trekking in Yunnan Province in China just now. The mountains and gorge are so so high and beautiful I have never seen . May I send you some pictures of the gorge (Tiger leaping Gorge) I can't send photos on Plentyof fish , ( I don't know how to do it.) Tell me your mail please if you like the gorge.
Mine is 520meetxin@163.com
 Englishman
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:36:32 AM
$ 60 per day in Thailand is easily enough to cover travel, food and accommodation.

The main difficulty is short distance travel outside the main cities. No local buses or taxis. People usually have a motorcycle or know someone who will give them a ride.

Long distance we have buses between the major towns and a half-decent train service.

Food is plentiful, delicious and cheap.

No shortage of cheap guesthouses and hotels.

Prices: Long distance train or bus - 12 hour journey $ 30
Rice with chicken and nuts (fairly average meal) $ 2
Roadside snack - 50c
Bottled water - 25c
Overnight accommodation - clean guest house - $ 10 - $ 15
Large bottle of beer - $ 3
Starbucks coffee - $ 3

In this part of the world your biggest challenge may well be clothing, especially shoes and boots. If you need more than size 9 then bring a spare pair of walking boots/trainers. Also long sleeved shirts and a wide brimmed hat aren't a bad idea, although you can get them here. Your skin may not be accustomed to so much sun and short sleeved shirts could prove a disaster. Long trousers too are preferable to shorts.

A small digital camera is useful for identifying snakes if you get bitten.

As for shots. Typhoid and Hepatitis are the main ones. We seem to have Dengue Fever in this region now, courtesy of the Burmese government, and I don't believe there are shots for it.
 cosmopolitan..
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/10/2008 6:05:11 PM
Sean - oddily enough I am taking off for Hong Kong and Thailand next month - alas only for a month! Check out airtreks.com, they have some great deals on flights plus tons of information from world travellers.

$60-70 will work in Thailand, but definetely not in Hong Kong, from my research I would say you need at least $120-150/day i.e. just very basic.

Good luck.
 wileyc
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 7:03:53 PM
I Just booked my Flight to Thailand this weekend, spending a month (February). Still in the process of building my Itinerary.

-Bangkok
-Chang Mai
-Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
-Ko Phi Phi (Diving)
-Ko Samuet (Diving)
-Similan islands (Diving)

Haven't quite figured out where else to go yet. Any suggestions?

WileyC
 Englishman
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/10/2008 11:37:33 PM
^
Not sure where you are coming from but presumably the diving will be in the middle two weeks if you are flying medium to long haul.
 iluv2travel
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 2:21:37 PM
........................................................................................................................................
 iluv2travel
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2008 2:21:52 PM
.......................................................................................................................................
 scubaguy14
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2008 7:35:34 PM
I've lived in malysia for 5 years and seen alot of Thailand as well... in bkk, if you're into it, check out the big white hospital on the river.. Siriraj Hospital if I remember correct, my mum and I spent most of a day there. It's one of about 3 forensics museums in the world, they use it for teaching the medical students, but the public can enter as well. Samui is nice, but it isn't the best place for diving, phi phi is better and you can still stay there for cheap if you're not too fussy about bugs, alot of the phuket coral has been killed off by dynamite fishing and the main reason to go there is if it's the only place in thailand you've heard of, or if you like looking at fat european men in speedos hugging unattractive young thai girls..

for real thai culture, only the north east of the country is left, the rest just feels like a big usa theme park.

Cambodia rocks, but if in the capital, I wouldn't go out at night too far, not that safe...

and for airfare, might want to price out the cathay all asia pass, choose up to 10 cities to visit and it used to be 1599 cdn, not sure now.
 Englishman
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/27/2008 1:10:21 PM
The bizarre political situation here in Thailand is likely to be the biggest obstacle to travel in the coming tourist season.

The current Prime Minister is the brother-in-law of exiled former Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra who is wanted on bail for corruption charges.

The Opposition are threatening to close airports in the South (including Phuket) if the PM remainis in situ. These characters have already taken over Government House, forcing the government to hold meetings in disused buildings at the old Don Mueang airport so they could well do it.
 mibra
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:28:33 AM

I will be leaving in January 09 to travel around the east side of the world. Does anyone have similar travel interests i.e Hong Kong, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia? If yes :

What schedule have you made for yourself.?

I am going home in the end of Dec 2008 or Jan 2009. I can go with you and help you for Hong Kong part.
 mibra
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:31:08 AM
About Thailand, it will be cheaper if you book flights with Hong Kong agents --- tell them you are interested in but you don't want to follow the guide, you just want the accommodation and flights --- you will have the best price from them.
 mibra
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:39:30 AM
Actually cheapest flight tickets from West Canada to HK are in the months of November, March, April. The round trip plus tax is about $700 to 800. But if you order tickets for all locations in Canada, I am not sure how much it costs....
As Hong Kong is the center of all flights, you can get a lot deals from travel agents there. I would like to suggest you to take ferry to NZ and Australia. It will be much cheaper, more enjoyable and cool. By the way, you will have some chances to visit some beautiful islands.
I am jealous that you can have a whole year for it... I just have two weeks to have a quick visit to families
 Englishman
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:13:02 PM
For internal flights in Thailand, I think most people know 1-two-go are grounded now.

Another popular internal carrier is Nok Air and they are also clearly in trouble. They have been trying to hand back leased aircraft they no longer use, and I believe they have now ceased operating on the Bangkok - Phuket route.

Air Asia seem OK for now though.
 Englishman
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/4/2008 2:28:03 AM
Yes, Thais do not use toilet paper. It is a Westen phenomenon.

Possibly explains why they don't shake hands either.
 gjay1
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/5/2008 2:51:30 PM
hi , jetstar are good for cheap flights- australian company, also flying asia, whatever youre thinking of packing, halve it, you wont use half of it lol, the humidity in some parts of asia is incredible - so wear stuff that lets you breathe!!
im on couchsurfers but havent actually stayed with anyone yet- always seem to just fall into places to stay very cheaply- just got back from vietnam and you can get very good rooms for under $10- a night
wileyc- if youre diving in that part of the world and get to vietnam- check out rainbow divers- great crowd to deal with
oh, and you get used to keeping anything in your pocket that may later serve as toilet paper!! you will be pleased to know when you get to australia....we have toilet paper!!
 No Cool Nickname
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:26:01 AM
I was in Thailand last Aug. Diving is really good between Koh Tao And Koh Samui in the sea of Thailand (East coast). Trips from both Island take you to the same dive sites but Some excellent diving to be sure. If interested I would base out of Koh Tao as its closer to the sites and cheaper to stay. Full moon party is a great time on Koh Phangan if you can time it right (fullmoonparty.com). Koh Chang is supoosed to have good diving as well. I hope that helps.
 No Cool Nickname
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/25/2009 9:40:51 AM
Thailand should be cheap for you as long as you eat local foods. western food will blow your budget quickly.
I travel with a 65 L but it is sometimes gets heavy but I would go with a 40 at least.
Matadortravel.com is a great travel website to get hints and meet up with fellow backpackers.
Hostelworld.com has great reviews of hostels around the world and booking.
 Dallas50
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/2/2009 11:32:44 AM
Diving is really good on Ko Tao.
I'm staying on Ko Samui and I've done my Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver, Deep specialty, Night Specialty and I'm completing my Divemaster in a few days.
I used Blue Planet located here on Ko Samui and my instructor is Steve. His cell # is 08-0143-9384 tell him Salem gave it to you and ask for recommendations on where to stay.
I'm staying on Samui because its bigger then Tao and doesn't cost much more to take the Seatram over for diving.
February is the best month for diving on this side of Thailand.

Here is what if noted for my return trip so far:

Koh Lanta Yai
On Khlong Nin Beach Nick has the best non Thai food we have had so far at Nick's Gardens, nicksgarden@hotmail.com.
You can find Otto at one of his two bars and he always has a joint on hand and will try to get everyone to smoke it.
Also say hi to Mr. Bean at otto's 2nd bar
At Rasta Baby say hi to Nina and hubby Wit and always eat there if they are having a BBQ. janinamacdonald@hotmail.com
Rasta baby Bar
Klong Nin Beach
Koh Lanta Yai
Moo 6 Tambon,
Krabi Province, Lanta District

Sen at Pada 08 5790 0482
Try a shot of Monkey Brains at Mung bar next to Lanta Miami, both have good fire shows.
Go snorkling at the spot behind Pada and you can find 2 Ells 1 Puffer and 2 Mung fish.
Party at Shroom Bar on Kantiang Bay is good also.

Koh Samui
Stay at Mermaid for short cheap stays or at Banrack Garden Home for a really nice cheap apartment for the week.
Say hi to Steve @ 08 0143 9384 and have him take you diving on Koh Tao, he will give you really good pricing.

Bangkok
SumChi our tuk tuk driver who has a new phone number every time he calls me. 08 1651 7906 &
08 2492 2272. He can be found in front of My House New Guest House on Rambutree rd. and is a great friend to have in Bangkok. Let him take you to some stops so he can get free gas and he will be really fare with any pricing for taking you places. Do all your shopping in Bangkok for the best prices in Thailand and only stay for a few days, get out ASAP.

Koh Tao
Stay at the fishing shop across the street from **** Divers and say hi to Ricky across from Drop Zone both places are great 4 partying.

Krabi
Ao Nang and drink at The Traveler Bar. The Bartender there is really nice and friendly and they had free internet and 60 bhat Red Bull Vodka's.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Similar Travel Interests Hong kong, Thailand, New Zealand, Australia