Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Mayor wants federal probe after SWAT raids house, kills dogs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Draskinn
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mayor wants federal probe after SWAT raids house, kills dogsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Oh they broke down the wrong door this time.

They bust in on bob nobody that works at the chicken shack and lives in the poor part of town and shoot his dogs it will barely make the paper.

They bust in on the Mayor.

Now these jokers have to deal with national news and the FBI. I hope this story gets the attention it deserves, heads need to roll over this kind of thing.

These no knock military style raids need to stop. All around the country they are killing people over pot for god’s sake.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/mayor.warrant/

(CNN) -- A Maryland mayor is asking the federal government to investigate why SWAT team members burst into his home without knocking and shot his two dogs to death in an investigation into a drug smuggling scheme.

"This has been a difficult week and a half for us," Cheye Calvo, mayor of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, said Thursday. "We lost our family dogs. We did it at the hands of sheriff's deputies who burst through our front door, rifles blazing."

The raid last week was led by the Prince George's County Police Department, with the sheriff's special operations team assisting, after a package of marijuana was sent to Calvo's home.

Authorities say the package was part of a scheme in which drugs are mailed to unknowing recipients and then intercepted.

Calvo said he had just returned home from walking his two Labrador retrievers, Chase and Payton, when his mother-in-law told him a package had arrived for his wife, Trinity Tomsic.

Moments later, Calvo was in his room changing for a meeting when he heard commotion downstairs.

"The door flew open," he said. "I heard gunfire shoot off. There was a brief pause and more gunfire."

Calvo said he was brought downstairs at gunpoint in his boxer shorts, handcuffed and forced onto the floor with his mother-in-law near the carcass of one of dead dogs. Watch Calvo describe the raid »

"I noticed my two dead dogs lying in pools of their own blood," Calvo said.

Calvo said his mother-in-law is still recovering from the incident.

"She got the worst of it," Calvo said. "She was literally in the kitchen, cooking a lovely pasta dish, and they brought down the door and shot our dogs."

While he was being held, Calvo said, he told police he is the town's mayor, but they didn't believe him.

Berwyn Heights has its own police force, he said, but Prince George's County police did not notify the municipal authorities of their interest in his home or the package.

"They didn't know my name. All they knew was my wife's name. They matched that to the registration of the car," Calvo said. "It was that lack of communication that really led to what has really been the most traumatic experience of our lives."

After the raid, arrests were made in the package interception scheme.

The incident has prompted the couple to call for a federal investigation because, they say, they don't believe police are capable of conducting an internal investigation.

"They've said they've done nothing wrong," Calvo said. "I didn't sign up for this fight, but I think what we have to do now is make changes to how Prince George's County police and Prince George's County sheriff's department operate."

Calvo said authorities entered his home without knocking and refused to show him a warrant when he requested one.

But Prince George's County Police Department spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said legal counsel had informed her that "no-knock" warrants do not exist in Maryland.

Taylor said authorities were acting on a warrant issued based on information available to them at the time.

"This warrant was for permission to search the premises," she said. "The special operations team that supported us made a decision about the necessity of entry at the point of being on the scene."

"No-knock" warrants have drawn criticism before. In Atlanta, Georgia, Kathryn Johnston, 92, was shot to death by police in a botched drug raid involving such a warrant in November.

Taylor, a self-described dog lover, expressed sympathy for the loss of Calvo's dogs, but stopped short of apologizing for the incident.

"We've done these similar kinds of operations over and over again, to the tune of removing billions of dollars of drugs from the community and without people or animals being harmed," she said. "We don't want any of our operations to result in the injury or loss of anybody, and certainly not animals."

The deputies have said they killed the two animals because they felt threatened.

"I would say that the dogs presented a threat, I would imagine, to the special operations situation," Taylor said.

Meanwhile, Calvo and his wife said members of the community have expressed sympathy and concern about the incident.

At a news conference Thursday, Tomsic tearfully recalled a recent encounter with a neighbor who used to wave at the couple as they walked Payton and Chase.

"She gave me a big hug," Tomsic said. "She said, 'If the police shot your dogs dead and did this to you, how can I trust them?' "
 OneBlend
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mayor wants federal probe after SWAT raids house, kills dogs
Posted: 8/7/2008 10:19:19 PM
I read the package was delivered by the police posing as delivery men. The door kicked in when package was brought into the home. The dogs were shot (one was running away when shot), the mayor, who was changing his clothes when police burst in, was handcuffed in his boxer shorts for about two hours, along with his mother-in-law. The officers didn't believe him when he told them he was the mayor, etc....
and a warrant?
Another issue that could arise in court is whether officers provided Calvo a copy of the warrant at the time of the raid, as required by law. Maloney said they did not, even though a detective signed a sworn statement to the judge indicating that he had. Instead, the detective brought the warrant to Calvo several days later, Maloney said.

Welcome to the new America.
 Draskinn
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:26:26 AM
You know a part of this that really bugs me too is that the dogs were labs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever

Labradors are a well-balanced, friendly and versatile breed, adaptable to a wide range of functions as well as making very good pets. As a rule they are not excessively prone to being territorial, pining, insecure, aggressive, destructive, hypersensitive, or other difficult traits which sometimes manifest in a variety of breeds, and as the name suggests, they are excellent retrievers.

Labradors have a reputation as a very mellow breed and an excellent family dog (including a good reputation with children of all ages and other animals)

Weight Male 27–36 kg (60–80 lb)
Female 25–32 kg (55–70 lb)

How on earth could a grow man in full SWAT gear be afraid of a lab to the point of having to gun it down. It’s not like this guy had wolf hounds or pit bulls these were labs. You can swat a lab on the nose with a news paper and it will go away. These are the kind of dogs you get when you want something that “wont” hurt your kids.

You know as much as I normally hate PETA I think I'd like to see them jump on this.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 10:28:10 AM
Interesting concept, mail someone a package of contraband so you can later justify busting in and shooting the place up: "We know they had weed because we sent them some."

Here's an idea, mail some packages of controlled substances to law enforcement officials, then inform other agencies where the drugs were sent. That might be fun to watch.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 5:24:50 PM
Interesting how Law Enforcement types "close ranks," even when an egregious example of police culpability and incompetence surfaces.

They made a huge mistake. Now they're covering up their criminal liability.

A couple of police chiefs need to be fired over this. Anything less is a whitewash.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/8/2008 6:03:15 PM
Labs are very docile dogs, and any idiot knows that. A cop should certainly know that.

There isn't more to the story than that the cops broke into the house of an innocent couple. They have both been exonerated of any wrongdoing. See:

Pr. George's Police Exonerate Mayor in Drug Raid
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/08/AR2008080802690.html

Police didn't even have the decency to apologize, and it's causing a major uproar in the community. See:

Residents Honor Mayor, Slain Dogs at Rally
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/03/AR2008080301636.html

The FBI is also investigating:

Feds investigating drug raid on small-town mayor's home
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/maryland.mayor/?iref=mpstoryview

Think there will be some cop jobs on the line once this is over.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/9/2008 8:40:16 AM
this wouldnt have happened in Canada!
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 9:11:48 AM
Yeah, for some reasons law enforcement officials seem to feel compelled to kill the house pets. The whole ugly standoff at Ruby Ridge got started when a federal agent shot Randy Weaver's dog, and the firefight in Waco was triggered (from what I can tell) when a federal agent got it into his head to pump a few rounds into the Branch Davidians' Alaskan Malamute, who was in her kennel with her puppies and therefore not even remotely posing a threat. I've read of other raids by BATF or DEA agents where dogs and cats were shot dead in front of terrified families.

It's creepy and bizarre and really uncalled-for.
 Draskinn
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:05:42 PM

Yeah, for some reasons law enforcement officials seem to feel compelled to kill the house pets.

Well from a tactical standpoint killing someone’s pets, preferably in front of them, has a huge psychological impact.

You get all the emotional trauma/shock value of killing a family member without the legal hassles of killing a human.

What ever happened to “innocent until proven guilty” busting down someone’s door, terrorizing them, shooting up their home, and executing their pets hardly sounds like things you should be doing to someone who is “presumed innocent” now does it.

What ever happened to “real” detective work, you know as apposed to government thugs just busting down doors.
 OneBlend
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:28:21 PM

What ever happened to “innocent until proven guilty” busting down someone’s door, terrorizing them, shooting up their home, and executing their pets hardly sounds like things you should be doing to someone who is “presumed innocent” now does it.

Notice the new arrogance? DHS is training them well.

http://oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm
Obsession with Crime and Punishment: Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 8:03:35 PM

Not to mention kicking the door down and shooting the family pets seems to at least totter on the edges of "unreasonable search and seizure". But that's the "War on Drugs" for you.
 Eric2008
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 9:38:02 PM
Labs are very docile dogs, and any idiot knows that. A cop should certainly know that.

I must have been an idiot the day one of my clients labs bit me and I had to get 15 stitches in my leg.At least the dog never growled or barked at me.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 10:06:34 PM

"I must have been an idiot the day one of my clients labs bit me..."
"...and I had to get 15 stitches in my leg."
"At least the dog never growled or barked at me."

If the second phrase "...and I had to get 15 stitches in my leg" is meant, in any way, to justify terrorizing an innocent family and executing the family pets, I will have to agree with the first.

Dogs bark as a warning. They aren't "required" to warn before they bite.
 Eric2008
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 11:21:45 PM
If the second phrase "...and I had to get 15 stitches in my leg" is meant, in any way, to justify terrorizing an innocent family and executing the family pets, I will have to agree with the first.

Dogs bark as a warning. They aren't "required" to warn before they bite.

Sometimes people miss the point.Not all dogs follow the breed.Just as all men don't.So far we only have the mayor's side maybe one day we'll get the other.Then one day we'll get the truth which is probably somewhere in the middle.
 ManeRider
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 1:13:37 AM
What's so peculiar is

They've said they've done nothing wrong,
"
They act without legal authority.....

Calvo said authorities entered his home without knocking and refused to show him a warrant when he requested one.

Kill both of their dogs, one leaving the room.
And dont' have even the decency to apologize for the slightness of error?

Taylor, a self-described dog lover, expressed sympathy for the loss of Calvo's dogs, but stopped short of apologizing for the incident.

And then suggest they felt threatened in their SWAT camo gear? Excuse me, but.....they're suited in armor that withstands large rounds of ammunition, but they can't handle a freakin lab?

The deputies have said they killed the two animals because they felt threatened.

"I would say that the dogs presented a threat, I would imagine, to the special operations situation," Taylor said.

My AS$$$$
WHat really amazes me is that FBI, SWAT and local enforcement have tracking and locator information for nearly every person walking the streets. They had to have known who they were delivering the package to, unless they're just that careless to not fully investigate.

I'm simply shocked, not only so much for their completely erroneous mistake, multiple mistakes, but to then not apologize for the incident? How incredibly arrogant.
I hope people wake up and smell the burnt coffee. We're in a police state and it's time people begin to realize that. When there's no accountability for police pulling off these episodes, something at a higher level needs to be done. I'm glad Calvo called in hte FBI, because I would agree, internal affairs would just wipe their hands of it and chalk it up to just a couple mangy mutts that got killed. No big to do.
PPPFFTTTT
 eeeo4U
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 5:05:42 PM
And what if it had been Joe Lunchbucket in the trailer park, who might have been presumed just as innocent? Cops are getting lazier every day, I can say that from knowledge of my dad, a homicide detective for 23 years...If they intimidate someone into a confession it's as good as solving a crime.
 ManeRider
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2008 11:57:17 PM

Regardless who did the shooting, or for what reason. No one, not even a dog's owner, can predict what any dog will do in a given situation; including a Labrador Retriever.

One of the most familiar animals on the face of the planet, one of the animal kingdoms most beloved faces, that of a dog, and you tell me they must shoot the dogs because they didn't know what their reactions might be.
Interesting. However, no reports were made that the police were threatened, no report that they shot the animals because they were attacked. WHat was reported was

I would say that the dogs presented a threat, I would imagine, to the special operations situation," Taylor said

In court, this is referred to as "SPECULATION".

When there's no accountability for police pulling off these episodes, something at a higher level needs to be done.

Please see Title 52, Section 1983, United States Code; it refers to the violation of someone's civil rights under color of authority
Which the police would quite easily wash their hands of had Calvo not informed on them to the FBI.

With the attitude toward law enforcement, as a whole, in this, and many other threads, it's no wonder that current members of law enforcement are retiring in droves, and there is a severe lack of qualified applicants to fill vacant positions.
I guess it really is true that people get the kind of law enforcement they want. Bad attitudes breed contempt on both sides of the badge. Eventually, there's no one wearing the badge.
I don't know where you live but here, the police are militant, the Courts defend, nay, encourage and reward their supreme, overzealous militant attitudes. He!l, as eeeo4u said, they prosecute without proper justification.

If they intimidate someone into a confession it's as good as solving a crime.
A good friend of mine is a forensic psychologist and has confided with me many of the brutal interogations police have done just in order to convict. They care not if it's an actual perpetrator, so long as the conviction holds up in court. They're ruthless, compassionless, greedy and they make cash cows (or convicts) out of normal, everyday people. I'll take the risk of defending myself over having a corrupt government that unleashes it's fervor for their own profiteering. I'd run a much better risk of surviving some outlaw than defending myself against the Nazi youths that wear badges around here, much the same as Calvo. AS far as I'm concerned, there could JUST as EASILY be 3 dead people right now.
 Eric2008
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 2:29:10 AM
One of the most familiar animals on the face of the planet, one of the animal kingdoms most beloved faces, that of a dog, and you tell me they must shoot the dogs because they didn't know what their reactions might be.
Interesting. However, no reports were made that the police were threatened, no report that they shot the animals because they were attacked. WHat was reported was

Apparently you didn't see my earlier post.I visit my clients on a regular basis in their homes.One of the worst(of many) bites I ever received was from a Black Lab.15 stitches .No Bark ,No growl.No warning.And if I was a cop in Atlanta I would probably have a hard time keeping ammo in my gun.Incredible gang activity,much of it illegal aliens.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Mayor wants federal probe after SWAT raids house, kills dogs