Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > So Much For The Surge      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 2
So Much For The SurgePage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
It wasn't even the surge that worked. we paid the Sunnis in Iraq not to attack us. The same as we did w/ the Taliban, and we see how long that lasted.

the other 2 reasons violence is down but not out in Iraq? The Shi'a declared a cease fire, which allows the Sunnis to attack AQI, whom they only tolerated as a buffer against the Shi'a.

Any qualities like this in Pakistan? If so, then whoopie, we have more success to find in that country. If not...well, at least we're heading int0 the winter season. Fighting in Afganistan winds down during those months. maybe it'll give us the time we need to find a solution--um, I mean, pass the problem along to someone else, and forget all about that part of the world until it bites us again....
 show me please
Msg: 4
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 9:24:07 AM
what a great thread to bring out the america haters among us. so i imagine the above writers were rooting AGAINST america. how charming.

i suppose the union victory over the confederates came at an opportune time for lincoln, the war against the axis ended just in time for ike to be elected, we were victorious in korea so truman could get another term. and so on and so on.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 5
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 10:21:44 AM
Ya know, the whole "America Haters" thing is sooo fifteen minutes ago.

Those who believe in the Constitution are America haters. Those who don't think America's soldiers should kill and die for a lie are America haters. Anyone who abhors incompetence, cronyism and hypocrisy are America haters.

Find a new catch phrase, or better still stop with the bumper sticker partisanship entirely.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 10
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 10:51:57 AM
I'm really, really sick and tired of the outright lies being posted.

Afghanistan is the front on your enemies, because that's where they are. And always have been. Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with Islamic terrorism since they were the ONLY secular nation in the region.

The rest of the post doesn't even make enough linguistic sense to rise to the level of a lie.
 ManeRider
Msg: 12
view profile
History
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 11:16:53 AM

I'm really, really sick and tired of the outright lies being posted.

The rest of the post doesn't even make enough linguistic sense to rise to the level of a lie.

To some people, negative attention is better than no attention.
But hey, I gotta say..... that was at least a nice job of cheerleading.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 13
view profile
History
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 11:27:24 AM

Next time you have a chance to stop by the real world, take a good long look at the red stripes on our flag. Your freedom was paid for by someone too.

Ya know, I honestly don't know enough about the surge to have an opinion on it's value, but I am deeply disturbed that for too many the flag is synonymous with blood, whether those who accuse anyone who thinks Iraq was a mistake from the beginning of being un-American or the many outside our country who think bloodshed is our primary calling card.

When we invaded Iraq the state government office I was working in distributed small flags for each of us to mount on our doors to show our support. I was deeply offended that I was being forced to choose between honoring our flag or honoring the principles of our founders that flag was based on that were being so flagrantly abused by initiating the invasion.

I ultimately did not display my flag, not out of disrespect for my country, but out of respect for the principles established by the brave forefathers who themselves defied an oppressive world power to make that very flag possible.

I AM a proud American. I just think it's about time our leaders once again demonstrate the qualities that make America a country to be proud of.

Dave
 xxXKageXxx
Msg: 17
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 2:27:16 PM

I voted for Clinton.
I voted for Bush.

I'm really trying to do the right thing.

Well, at least you get it right 50% of the time.

As for Iraq, well, I say pull out and let them fight each other to the death for control. lol, if nothing else, it will make excellent pay tv.
 xxXKageXxx
Msg: 19
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:01:28 PM
Depends on how one defines "Success" If you define it as killing hundreds of thousands of young American soldiers in the pursuit of invisible WMD's, because we decided to divert from the path of catching Bin Laden for a more persuadable bad guy, who just happens to have a lot of that black gold we need to run of crap, and stay warm, while at the same time wasting billions of dollars of our money and running up a debt in the billions to foreign powers, consequently causing the majority of the world to hate us, all while championing it in the name of freedom and democracy, then yes, by all means the Iraq war is a "success"

HalftimeDad
Msg: 24
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/9/2008 11:41:06 AM

im sorry some of you canadians are so resentful. maybe you could take a bigger hand in the conflict, after all we are protecting YOU also.

Protecting us from what exactly? Iraq was a dictatorship, but had nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism. And there are plenty worse countries in the world than Saddam's Iraq.....Bush's Iraq for example.

guess why we have guys dying in afghanistan?

Ignoring, of course, that Canadians are holding the most dangerous part of that country. I was watching a documentary on Kandahar when they showed a Canadian regiment finally being relieved after 14 months by the Americans. As they were leaving, the Americans were following them. Turns out that region was too dangerous for your guys, so the Canadians had to turn around and redeploy.

Your President lied to you and got you to invade and occupy a nation which didn't and doesn't want you there. You owe the people of Iraq untold billions for destroying their country.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 26
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/9/2008 4:26:06 PM
"yes, iraq was totally guiltless in middle east politics. the war with iran where they gassed thousands"

It would be a good idea if we get some good information before we start posting incoherent rants. For example: do we know why Iraq attacked Iran? do we know who supplied Iraq with the poison gas they used in that war? do we know if the USA government was supporting any of the two sides in that war?

Just mixing a whole bunch of facts without discerning the differences make it sound like a political rant equivalent to Hussein=BAD/Bush=GOOD. I have read that type of rant so many times and I am still hopeful that people will grow up and do some research before they start spouting nonsense.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 29
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/10/2008 11:32:54 AM

perhaps if the liberals hadnt stopped us from winning in vietnam,

That's pretty much one of the dividing lines on whether the person across from you is delusional. Sorry buddy, you kind of took yourself out of grownup room with that one.
 zabet
Msg: 30
view profile
History
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/10/2008 4:33:07 PM
The surge has resulted in an upsurge in Iraqi deaths. We had no business being in Iraq, and no business being in Vietnam. It's time to grow up. Let's learn to resolve our differences without resorting to violence. Thanks to technology we now have the ability to communicate in real time with people all over the world. War is immature and archaic.
 Strongdad
Msg: 32
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/10/2008 4:50:44 PM
While Obama may stay stuck on ....well....a lot of other dems have had to enjoy admitting they were wr...wrrrr.....wrrrr.....wrong. Even that loudmouth Murtha.

To be fair, one of the reasons Bush has low approval ratings is that a lot of republicans think he should have stood firmer and just sent in more troops to begin with. I am one of those who think he blew it on that account.

McCain saw the surge as being necessary. It helped our troops attain a lot of victories.

Obama, on the other hand, didn't want that. I have to wonder why. When will democrats admit they have rooted against their own country during a time of war? And, all the while, raging about their patriotism being doubted. Go figure.

God Bless America.

SD
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 38
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 1:52:21 PM
Unfortunately, even the most obvious of conclusions seems beyond the reasoning of some.

Al qaeda is a fundamentalist Sunni Islam motivated terrorist group.

Iraq was a Shiite majority, secular nation.

Bin Laden viewed Saddam Hussein's Iraq with more hatred than he did the US. But the US was a better target propoganda - wise. He could never have imagined that Bush would hand him a double victory by both attacking an uninvolved nation, but also ridding the middle east of the last secular regime there.
 Strongdad
Msg: 40
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 2:22:29 PM
Back to the surge......

Maliki says the US has been victorious in Iraq.

By the way, anyone here read the US Senate resolution for this war? I am guessing not, since they listed 18 reasons for it.

Even Democrats.

Oh, but wait...they were "lied to" by a president who is supposed to be a retard. Doesn't say much for all those veteran democrats who have been hanging out on the hill, does it?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 41
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 2:33:07 PM

Are yall trying to say that al qaeda is the only terrorist group in the middle east? Come on now. Surly they don't keep yall in the dark up there.

No. But they are all religiously motivated.

Iraq was the only secular regime there - anethema to the terrorist groups. And there is far more violence and death in Bush's Iraq than there was in Saddam's.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 42
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 2:53:08 PM
Hang on. You just said that there's less violence in Iraq now. I called you on it, and now you're spinning.

And name one terrorist group in that region that doesn't use religion as its ideological foundation.

Saddam was evil, no question. But he was in the single A league of evil compared to Hall of Famer George W Bush.
 Strongdad
Msg: 44
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 3:44:29 PM
Saddam was evil, no question. But he was in the single A league of evil compared to Hall of Famer George W Bush.

Whenever I see or hear such a statement as the above, I know that person has surrendered the debate.

SD
 Strongdad
Msg: 46
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 3:48:10 PM
Building democracy takes time. I am sure, more than a four or five years. We weren't all that well organized after the Revolutionary War or the Civil war, either. Not even five years after it....let alone DURING.

Hence, the reason we have not left Iraq, yet.
 exodusi1
Msg: 49
view profile
History
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 4:00:31 PM
Democracies aren't built from the outside, they come from having a strong middle class. No amount of occupation is going to create what they don't desire. They are comfortable with a theocracy. . .
 Strongdad
Msg: 66
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:17:58 PM
Are people still trying to sell the bullsh.. that we went to Iraq to steal their oil???? Good God man. I heard that in the early 90s, when we went there the first time. It didn't happen then, and it didn't happen this time.

I want what he is drinking.
 Strongdad
Msg: 68
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:26:51 PM
WMD's? Why would we find any there??? After we gave him 12 years to hide them??? Come on!

I see no problem with having Iraq repay us for the freedom we gave them. You can call it blood for oil. Frankly, I expect that of you. It is a predictable, if not simple viewpoint.

I happen to think we should have gone there long before we did. Too bad Clinton didn't have the stones. Or, he had them....they were just preoccupied.
 Strongdad
Msg: 71
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:32:57 PM
I'm on the right side of the war issue and the right side of history.
 Strongdad
Msg: 74
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:51:36 PM
Is this where we get the lecture about how we should negotiate with terrorists? How about when a rapist breaks into the house in the middle of the night, too? Should we "try to come to an understanding"?
 Strongdad
Msg: 76
So Much For The Surge
Posted: 8/11/2008 11:01:38 PM
Erik, it is clear you can spout a long list of Americas errors on demand. I have noticed I have never seen you say one good thing about it. We get it. You hate this country. Grand.

Not surprising.

SD
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > So Much For The Surge